database reorg for large databases?

Greetings,

My upper management is interested in what other companies do as far as
reorg'ing large database(s).  In my case I have a Peoplesoft database that
is 336 gigs (used).  Recent testing proved that a full database reorg
(export/import) takes ~90 hrs.  The last time I performed a reorg my
database was ~220 gig and I was able to complete this in a weekend.

I have presented several options (listed below) to management but they are
very much interested in knowing how others deal with large databases and
reorgs.  If you have a moment and perform(ed) some type of database reorgs
on a regular basis please share with me your approach.

TIA

Option 1
Full database reorg using dbexport/dbimport.

Option 2
   Break 1 large database into multiple databases (3-4) (by module has been
   discussed).
   Use synonyms from the primary database to point to tables located in
   other databases.
   Tables reside in "db specific dbspaces (ie, databaseA dbspace1 -->
   dbspace6, databaseB dbspace6 --> dbspace12,.....you get the idea)"
   Use dbexport/dbimport to reorg smaller databases over multiple weekends.
   (one thing to note here, psoft admins would not be fond due to dddaudit
   reports)

Option 3
(I like to call this a "reorg by dbspace") Group tables and indexes
together based on a percent of the database into a set of dbspaces.
Unload all tables, drop all tables, recreate tables and load 1 after the
other, recreate indexes in this set of dbspaces.   This would basically
represent a bastardized export and import of all tables in the specific
dbspaces thus, the ultimate goal, eliminating interleaving.

Little info about my env:
IDS 9.40 FC2
HPUX 11
6 way nClass w/550's
6 gig memory

LOCKS           5000000         # Maximum number of locks
BUFFERS         1400000         # Maximum number of shared buffers
NUMAIOVPS       4               # Number of IO vps
PHYSBUFF        256             # Physical log buffer size (Kbytes)
LOGBUFF         128             # Logical log buffer size (Kbytes)
LOGSMAX         200             # Maximum number of logical log files
CLEANERS        128             # Number of buffer cleaner processes
SHMBASE         0x0               # Shared memory base address
SHMVIRTSIZE     800000          # initial virtual shared memory segment
size
SHMADD          32768           # Size of new shared memory segments
(Kbytes)
SHMTOTAL        0               # Total shared memory (Kbytes).
0=>unlimited
CKPTINTVL       300             # Check point interval (in sec)
LRUS            128             # Number of LRU queues
LRU_MAX_DIRTY   2              # LRU percent dirty begin cleaning limit
LRU_MIN_DIRTY   1              # LRU percent dirty end cleaning limit
LTXHWM          50              # Long transaction high water mark
percentage
LTXEHWM         60              # Long transaction high water mark
(exclusive)
TXTIMEOUT       0x12c             # Transaction timeout (in sec)
STACKSIZE       64              # Stack size (Kbytes)

sending to informix-list
0
Darren_Jacobs

I'd never use dbimport for this  - far too long.  I'd do a select reorg
using ALTER TABLE ... FRAGMENT IN, or maybe HPL.  the ALTER FRAGMENT can be
made to zoom along faster by setting PDQPRIORITY, and enormous (say 7200
second) checkpoints.

<Darren_Jacobs@carmax.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> size
> SHMADD          32768           # Size of new shared memory segments
> (Kbytes)
> SHMTOTAL        0               # Total shared memory (Kbytes).
> 0=>unlimited
> CKPTINTVL       300             # Check point interval (in sec)
> LRUS            128             # Number of LRU queues
> LRU_MAX_DIRTY   2              # LRU percent dirty begin cleaning limit
> LRU_MIN_DIRTY   1              # LRU percent dirty end cleaning limit
> LTXHWM          50              # Long transaction high water mark
> percentage
> LTXEHWM         60              # Long transaction high water mark
> (exclusive)
> TXTIMEOUT       0x12c             # Transaction timeout (in sec)
> STACKSIZE       64              # Stack size (Kbytes)

0
Neil

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Re: database reorg for large databases?
Darren_Jacobs@carmax.com said: Option 4 Table by table reorg using ALTER FRAGMENT. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco Travel broadens a person. You look as if you have been all over the world. I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed http://members.rogers.com/2remedy/images/smilies/banners/RTFM.gif sending to informix-list "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:1110625934.b94f20f7f1c78aa594cba514b25ed174@teranews... > > > Darren_Jacobs@carmax.com said: > > Option 4 > Table by table reorg using ALTER FRAGMENT. Isn't that what I said? ...

Re: database reorg for large databases? #2
Neil Truby said: > "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message > news:1110625934.b94f20f7f1c78aa594cba514b25ed174@teranews... >> >> >> Darren_Jacobs@carmax.com said: >> >> Option 4 >> Table by table reorg using ALTER FRAGMENT. > > Isn't that what I said? Was it? I don't know -- I never pay any attention to anything you say. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco Travel broadens a person. You look as if you have been all over the world. I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed http://members.rogers.com/2remedy/images/smilies/banners/RTFM.gif sending to informix-list "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:1110652728.b5b1b0fb7d8e3c37ac9ba5ef2b8f76ae@teranews... > > > Neil Truby said: >> "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message >> news:1110625934.b94f20f7f1c78aa594cba514b25ed174@teran...

Neil Truby said: > "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message > news:1110652728.b5b1b0fb7d8e3c37ac9ba5ef2b8f76ae@teranews... >> >> >> Neil Truby said: >>> "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message >>> news:1110625934.b94f20f7f1c78aa594cba514b25ed174@teranews... >>>> >>>> >>>> Darren_Jacobs@carmax.com said: >>>> >>>> Option 4 >>>> Table by table reorg using ALTER FRAGMENT. >>> >>> Isn't that what I said? >> >> Was it? I don't know -- I never pay any attention to anything you say. > > If you did pay a bit more attention to what I say, you might not spout > such > shite yourself. > ;-) Can't let you have all the shite-spouting fun, you soft southern git. :o) -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco Travel broadens a person. You look as if you have been all over the world. I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then.&quo...

Re: database reorg for large databases?
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Lots of very good advise. To let everyone know, my desire is to use my option 3 below with multiple unload/reload/index rebuilds running concurrently. My intention of the email wasn't how I needed to do this (thanks anyway) but rather "How everyone else does it" or "How others don't do it" or "Best Practices". On another note... To "Nobody" (whom must not what to be "Somebody") Who are you talking to? You need to be more clear as to who you are addressing. I believe Neil and Obnoxio where passing some friendly "shite" between them. I would be more than happy to entertain your ideas and or thoughts. This of course this depends on if you have any or if you are just full of bull "shite". :-)~ nobody <nobody@devnull.o rg> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org owner-informix-li cc st@iiug.org Subject ...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Question about move large amount of data from database to database
guys, I have a project need to move more than 100,000 records from one database table to another database table every week. Currently, users input date range from web UI, my store procedure will take those date ranges to INSERT records to a table in another database, then delete the records, but it will take really long time to finish this action (up to 1 or 2 hours). My question is if there is some other way I should do to speed up the action, I am thinking about use bcp to copy those records to datafile and then use bcp to insert it into SQL Server table. Is this the right way to do it or ...

Database variables when copying a database
Hi, When you do this: CREATE DATABASE test TEMPLATE master; It doesn't copy any per-database GUC variables, created by the ALTER DATABASE master SET var TO val; command. Should it? Chris ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings Anyone thought about this at all yet? Is it possible to have per-database variables that refer to the current database in someway that would need to be altered to refer to the new db? Chris Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote: > Hi, ...

Split a Database into multiple databases
Hi All, I have a database which has terms (english words) as key values and I need to take up all keys from the database and segregate them into multiple databases according to the first letter of the key values. For example if the database has the following keys, 1. abroad 2. async 3. method 4. mind 5. zebra What I need to do is create three databases with abroad, async in one method, mind in another and zebra in another. I could do it using cursor and taking up one key value at a time, comparing the first alphabets and storing the database records to the concerned database...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

open database from another database
I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like to automate the back-up of an Access application to a writeable CD drive. I've got the process of creating a folder on the CD with the back-up date done, and I can copy the database objects (there are four MDB files in total) to the CD. All of that works. Here's my problem: because Access databases cannot be copied when they are open, I need to have my CD writing code in a new MDB, and will need to launch the new CD writing MDB from within one of the existing databases. I've done this kind of thing before, but I don't have the slightest recollection on how I did it (used to be you had to do that kind of thing in order to compact/repair through automation). So, I give up. How do you launch Access from within Access??? Well this will do it: Dim i As Variant i = Shell("msaccess d:\persprop\CSCPP.mdb") Just put in your own db path. But this does come up with the warning that requires you to click to get into to the db (in 2003). If you know how to get by that I'd like to know. You could put the function in a macro and then close the db stat started the new one. Good luck Ira Solomon On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:17:10 -0500, Mike Easter <username@domain.com> wrote: >I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like >to automate the back-up of an Access application to a wri...

Web resources about - database reorg for large databases? - comp.databases.informix

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

IObit Driver Booster debuts new fix-it tool, widens driver update database
... The update also includes various optimizations to improve user experience, performance and stability, plus widens the tool’s driver database ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...

8 Reasons to Consider Open-Source Databases for Your Business
Historically, costly commercial database systems dominated the data management landscape. But open-source database system adoption is growing ...