FW: Restore Informix software & Database to another server

Yes, the kernel settings must be correct - and also, did you create the symbolic links in /usr/lib for Informix ?

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Paul Watson

Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 10:42 AM

To: informix-list@iiug.org

Subject: Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server

Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct

--

Paul Watson             #

Oninit Ltd              # Growing old is mandatory

Tel: +44 1436 672201    # Growing up is optional

Fax: +44 1436 678693    #

Mob: +44 7818 003457    #

www.oninit.com          #

________________________________

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed 714 Spam messages and set aside 80 Newsletters for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  www.ellaforspam.com

sending to informix-list
0
Dirk

[...]

Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server
KW Foo wrote: > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > application and the data and restore to another server. > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server using > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to another > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the Informix > chunk directories after we shutdown the Informix using "onmode -ky". > > We also did an "ontape" level 0 backup to a tape. > > After we restore the application and the Informix chunk directory, when we > try to start the Informix engine using "oninit", the server go into "FAST > RECOVERY" mode, after few minutes, it display message "oninit: Fatal error > in shared memory initialization". > > > The following are the message recorded in the online.log: > > 13:41:32 Informix Dynamic Server Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized. > 13:41:32 Physical Recovery Started. > 13:45:16 Physical Recovery Complete: 84946 Pages Restored. > 13:45:16 Logical Recovery Started. > 13:45:16 shmget: [ENOMEM][12]: key 52564806: out of shared memory, check > system > max shared memory segment size > 13:45:16 out of virtual shared memory more available shared memory...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #4
In my personal opinion, why bother using ufsdump when you could restore with ontape. Don't forget that all chunk structures must be the same but that ontape & ufsdump might not read & write the same way, thus creating incompatibilities. There is gain in using ufsdump versus the potential problems just like the one you encountered. Andr� >From: St�phane Gadoury <stephane.gadoury@transat.com> >To: <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server >Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:54:50 -0500 > >Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing >memory > >Verify with ipcs -m > >Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release >notes >( if should not impact, but you never know) > >If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE > >-----Message d'origine----- >De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org >[mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson >Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 >� : informix-list@iiug.org >Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > >Check the release note in $INFORMIXDIR/release/*/*/ or look in the >/etc/system on the working server > >KW Foo wrote: > > > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > > > Regards, > > KW Foo > ...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #2
Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing memory Verify with ipcs -m Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release notes ( if should not impact, but you never know) If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE -----Message d'origine----- De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 � : informix-list@iiug.org Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server Check the release note in $INFORMIXDIR/release/*/*/ or look in the /etc/system on the working server KW Foo wrote: > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > &g...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #3
Did You re-install Informix executables ('installserver' script) after transferring it to anather machine with Solaris utility? If not, please, do that. Also, do nor forget about 'RUNASROOT' script. ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin Senior Database Administrator > -----Original Message----- > From: KW Foo [mailto:hovid@streamyx.com] > Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 5:38 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server > using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > > > > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the > Informix > > > ch...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Error executing remote system command on an AIX Informix database from an NT Informix Server
Dear All, I realise there are many queries and answers already posted on a similar topic, but none seem to be able to get this working. I have two informix servers, one on Windows NT and one on AIX 4.3. Informix NT (7.31) Informix AIX (7.xx) I have a stored procedure on the unix box with a system command SYSTEM '/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env > /tmp/mylog' I have set up the trust, so that I can connect to the AIX instance as informix from the NT server. I connect from the NT server to the AIX instance as informix and execute the procedure. I get the following error - 668 Command cannot be executed 127 No Primary Key I think that the 127 error number is from the shell execution. The /tmp/mylog file is created but with no values. Even if I replace it with an echo hello command I get an empty file. Having read one of Jonathan Leffler's responses, the SHELL environment variables needs to be set to the the Shell of the remote system. In my case that is 'set SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh' . I did this and it still didn't work. Am I missing further environment variables as I am executing the procedure from NT. Has anyone managed to do this? Many thanks in advance, Nick Have you tryed it on aix itself?? does that work?? try: SYSTEM "(/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env 2>&1) > /tmp/nonexistingfile"; -- check what is in nonexistingfile or SYSTEM "(/usr/bin/ksh ...

FW: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Sql Server, Postgres and Mysql are also supported, at least by 4js. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of malcolm weallans Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 4:53 AM To: 'Bruce Truter'; informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database? Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have to have an Informix Database? I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server
Neil Truby wrote: > "Carmen Constantinescu" <carmen@wylog.com> wrote in message > news:bthi4v$ujm$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > >>Please help! >> >>I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : >> $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name >> >> y >> n >> n >> n >> file_name >> >>The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore >>failed - function read archive backup failed code 1 errno 2". > > > What are expecting << file_name to do? In this example it is the end of file marker. However, I would check those responses. Better to run this command manually and supply the answers yourself. I thought the first question was about salvaging the existing logs. Cheers, -- Mark. +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+ | Mark D. Stock mailto:mdstock@MydasSolutions.com |//////// /| | Mydas Solutions Ltd http://MydasSolutions.com |///// / //| | +-----------------------------------+//// / ///| | |We value your comments, which have |/// / ////| | |been recorded and automatically |// / /////| | |emailed back to us for our records.|/ ////////| +--------------------...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #3
David Williams wrote: > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote in message news:btmcr4> That > will make it a lot tidier, should be able to use a case statement. > >>I will revise next week sometime. >> > > > http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk/ifaq06.htm#6.33 > > 6.33 What status codes does onstat return? > On 21st May 1998 mdstock@informix.com (Mark D. Stock) wrote:- > > As a point of interest, you can check the current mode of IDS by checking > the status ($?) after onstat -. > > The values returned by 'onstat -' are: > > a.. -1 Offline > b.. 0 Initialisation > c.. 1 Quiescent > d.. 2 Recovery > e.. 3 Backup > f.. 4 Shutdown > g.. 5 Online > h.. 6 Abort Wow! You remembered! Perhaps I should add some: Return codes IDS 7 & 9 -1 Off-line (-1 = 255) 0 Initialisation 1 Quiescent 2 Recovery 3 Backup 4 Shutdown 5 On-line 6 Abort IDS 8 -1 Off-line (-1 = 255) 0 Initialisation 1 Quiescent 2 Micro kernel 3 Recovery 4 Backup 5 Shutdown 6 On-line 7 Abort Cheers, -- Mark. +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+ | Mark D. Stock mailto:mdstock@MydasSolutions.com |//////// /| | Mydas Solutions Ltd http://MydasSolutions.com |///// / //| | +-----------------------------------+//// / ///| | |We ...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #2
Paul Watson wrote: > something like > > onstat -r <<EOF > y > n > n > n > EOF > > should work, but I wouldn't use it on a production system Which is exactly the same as the example given, except for the obvious command error and the missing initial <CR> to the enter tape and press RETURN prompt. However, I am not convinced of the order of the answers, and I don't have ontape to hand to test..., on dev or prod. So I agree, simply run ontape -r and answer the prompts manually. Cheers, -- Mark. +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+ | Mark D. Stock mailto:mdstock@MydasSolutions.com |//////// /| | Mydas Solutions Ltd http://MydasSolutions.com |///// / //| | +-----------------------------------+//// / ///| | |We value your comments, which have |/// / ////| | |been recorded and automatically |// / /////| | |emailed back to us for our records.|/ ////////| +----------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------+ sending to informix-list ...

database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
Please help! I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name y n n n file_name The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore failed - function read archive backup failed code 1 errno 2". Has anyone any idea how do I have write the commad do or what environement variables do I have to set for that the restore work properly? Thans a lot, Carmen sending to informix-list "Carmen Constantinescu" <carmen@wylog.com> wrote in message news:bthi4v$ujm$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Please help! > > I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : > $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name > > y > n > n > n > file_name > > The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore > failed - function read archive backup failed code 1 errno 2". What are expecting << file_name to do? Informix will try to restore the data from the device or file defined by the TAPEDEV parameter in the $INFORMIXDIR/etc/$ONCONFIG file. So, if this is not set correctly, edit the $ONCONFIG file to set TAPEDEV to file_name. -- Neil Truby t:01932 724027 Director m:07798 811708 Arde...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
David Williams wrote > > "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol@virgin.net> wrote in message > news:a3525a11.0401080308.64a1ed12@posting.google.com... > > Why ever would you want to run a cold restore unattended? > > > > Great laxative ... > > > > To create a reporting database once per week... > > Once all the ontape stuff is finished don't forget to > > a) Sit in a loop running onstat - and check the return > code each time.Wait for the server to reach quiescent > mode. This can take 45 mins. > > b) onmode -m to move to Online mode. > > Otherwise a reboot means another restore! > > I had this working great for a customer a while back! Here is one I prepared earlier --- onbar/ontape whatever .. FORCEOL=n until onstat - | grep "On-Line" > /dev/null do echo "Off line" # ; sleep 20 onstat - | grep "[BQ][lu][oi][ce][ks]" > /dev/null && ( echo "\nServ blokd" if [ x$FORCEOL = "xn" ] ; then echo "Onlining.." ; onmode -m ; FORCEOL=y; sleep 240 else echo "waiting to online " ; sleep 240 fi ) onstat - # for comfort factor sleep 60 done This seems to work on our automated restore of live for testing. I know the grep line looks like a load of boll*cks. But it works. Tru64 5.1 and ...

Web resources about - FW: Restore Informix software & Database to another server - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.