Help needed in transfering or backing up/restoring Informix database via ODBC.

I've recently encountered a full file system failure on my Informix
server, it's running Informix IDS 9.20 (Linux); access to the Informix
tools is not available, changing the allow.hosts file isn't an option
(as the file system is damaged); otherwise I'd setup remote access
(i.e. dbaccess/dbexport, etc.) - presently Informix is online, the
dbspace's and databases have yet to be compromised.

So here's the situation, I have ODBC access, I have a backup that is a
month old, so I have a current/correct schema from dbexport; I've
attempted to export all the tables into SQL files via WinSQL (and a
couple of other products); however after creating a new database (new
server); attempts at importing (i.e. INSERT's from the .SQL files) have
either failed due to the size of the .SQL files, or due to WinSQL's
method of export (creates long statements and Informix kick's back a
460 error). A few other products couldn't go over 1940 records.

I've also tried a direct migration from one table to another table (old
server/table to new server/table), that worked fine on simple tables,
but any tables with key constraints failed; I'm not certain if I should
create a new database without the keys, import (i.e. migrate/transfer);
then create the keys as it would occur in the dbexport, i.e create
table, unload, create key, create index.

So that's the situation, the server is on borrowed time; so I either
need to find a decent utility that can export/migrate/transfer/import
an Informix database via ODBC; or figure out a way to handle the key
constraint errors when I'm attempt to migrate/transfer from old-to-new
in WinSQL.

Any suggestions, ideas, are definitely welcomed.

0
vpreatr

vpreatr@gmail.com wrote:
> I've recently encountered a full file system failure on my Informix
> server, it's running Informix IDS 9.20 (Linux); access to the Informix
> tools is not available, changing the allow.hosts file isn't an option
> (as the file system is damaged); otherwise I'd setup remote access
> (i.e. dbaccess/dbexport, etc.) - presently Informix is online, the
> dbspace's and databases have yet to be compromised.
>
> So here's the situation, I have ODBC access, I have a backup that is a
> month old, so I have a current/correct schema from dbexport; I've
> attempted to export all the tables into SQL files via WinSQL (and a
> couple of other products); however after creating a new database (new
> server); attempts at importing (i.e. INSERT's from the .SQL files) have
> either failed due to the size of the .SQL files, or due to WinSQL's
> method of export (creates long statements and Informix kick's back a
> 460 error). A few other products couldn't go over 1940 records.
>
> I've also tried a direct migration from one table to another table (old
> server/table to new server/table), that worked fine on simple tables,
> but any tables with key constraints failed; I'm not certain if I should
> create a new database without the keys, import (i.e. migrate/transfer);
> then create the keys as it would occur in the dbexport, i.e create
> table, unload, create key, create index.

Go to www.iiug.org and the Software section. Get Art Kagels utils_ak2
and use dbcopy from there to copy the data.

The new tables should not have contraints or indexes on them whilst the
copy is happening.

> So that's the situation, the server is on borrowed time; so I either
> need to find a decent utility that can export/migrate/transfer/import
> an Informix database via ODBC; or figure out a way to handle the key
> constraint errors when I'm attempt to migrate/transfer from old-to-new
> in WinSQL.
>
> Any suggestions, ideas, are definitely welcomed.

0
david
6/7/2006 6:59:54 AM
David,
Unfortunately I only have ODBC access, the server is not configured to
trust another INFORMIXSERVER nor can I add trust via allow.hosts (or
..rhosts) due to the level of file corruption on the failing server.
Typically I'd access the server via DBACCESS and DBEXPORT remotely
providing a trust relationship was established with the source location
(workstation/server IP, username, etc. ) - that isn't the case here. If
I attempt to access the server with such tools, I'm greeted with a
"Client host or user (myid@myaddress.com) is not trusted by the
server."

So basically unless a utility exists with the capability of dbexport or
dbcopy that can bypass or ignore the client host/use trust
restrictions; I'm limited solely to ODBC and the server is truly on
borrowed time. (If the Informix server were to be shutdown, it would
never start again due to the level of corruption at the filesystem
level)

Thanks!

david@smooth1.co.uk wrote:
> Go to www.iiug.org and the Software section. Get Art Kagels utils_ak2
> and use dbcopy from there to copy the data.
>
> The new tables should not have contraints or indexes on them whilst the
> copy is happening.

0
vpreatr
6/7/2006 10:32:18 AM
vpreatr@gmail.com wrote:
> David,
> Unfortunately I only have ODBC access, the server is not configured to
> trust another INFORMIXSERVER nor can I add trust via allow.hosts (or
> .rhosts) due to the level of file corruption on the failing server.
> Typically I'd access the server via DBACCESS and DBEXPORT remotely
> providing a trust relationship was established with the source location
> (workstation/server IP, username, etc. ) - that isn't the case here. If
> I attempt to access the server with such tools, I'm greeted with a
> "Client host or user (myid@myaddress.com) is not trusted by the
> server."

can you block the server in a checkpoint and dd the chunks over scp? You
don't need a trusted relationship, just informix or root access over ssh.

Then install the same version of IDS on the same sort of hardware and bingo!
0
Clive
6/7/2006 10:42:57 AM
Hi Clive,
SSH nor DD is available, the majority of all tools and their subsequent
libraries have been corrupted; the database is online simply due to the
fact the chunks are located on a different drive.

Now if I could use the raw chunks from the good drive, i.e. replace the
faulty drive, install OS, re-install Informix and then access the
chunks that were created previously; that might be an option; however
I'm unable to backup anything in the /opt/informix directory; so
essential configuration files are not accessible. Last I checked (years
ago), using those previous "good" chunks isn't an option; or is it?

At present I have a replacement server, same OS, same IDS version,
virtually the same hardware online, I'm exporting all the data to SQL
files (inserts); and then I'm slowly attempting to import that data
into the new server; fortunately I had a working schema, so the
database and subsequent table structure is identical - the downside is
the .SQL files were formatted with long statements (i.e. -460 errors);
and I'm having issues with the ODBC tools crashing due to the .SQL file
sizes.

In attempt to resolve the long statement errors, I'm editing each
file, running the INSERT's and then comparing the data. This process is
consuming a monumental amount of time and the outcome is uncertain as
the tools are unpredictable.

Thanks!

Clive Eisen wrote:
> can you block the server in a checkpoint and dd the chunks over scp? You
> don't need a trusted relationship, just informix or root access over ssh.
>
> Then install the same version of IDS on the same sort of hardware and bingo!

0
vpreatr
6/7/2006 11:24:01 AM
vpreatr@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Clive,
> SSH nor DD is available, the majority of all tools and their subsequent
> libraries have been corrupted; the database is online simply due to the
> fact the chunks are located on a different drive.
I hope somebody is paying you well :-)

Can you list what you know does work on this machine - or is it just the
running IDS?

Do you know the path to all the chunks?

> Now if I could use the raw chunks from the good drive, i.e. replace the
> faulty drive, install OS, re-install Informix and then access the
> chunks that were created previously; that might be an option; however
> I'm unable to backup anything in the /opt/informix directory; so
> essential configuration files are not accessible. Last I checked (years
> ago), using those previous "good" chunks isn't an option; or is it?
In order to get a running system from just the chunks AFAIK you need
three things - the same version of IDS, the path to the root chunk and
all the chunks in the same place as before. And you can get all of this
from your month old backup.

> At present I have a replacement server, same OS, same IDS version,
> virtually the same hardware online, I'm exporting all the data to SQL
> files (inserts); and then I'm slowly attempting to import that data
> into the new server; fortunately I had a working schema, so the
> database and subsequent table structure is identical - the downside is
> the .SQL files were formatted with long statements (i.e. -460 errors);
> and I'm having issues with the ODBC tools crashing due to the .SQL file
> sizes.
Good plan, but as you say fraught with difficulty.

I'd work on this in order to get copies of the data in case all else fails.

Then move the drive out and COPY IT to another drive using dd and
someone looking over your shoulder to make sure you get the dds round
the right way ( I might even put the read only jumper on the drive if it
has one ) and then try in start IDS on the replacement server with the copy.

> In attempt to resolve the long statement errors, I'm editing each
> file, running the INSERT's and then comparing the data. This process is
> consuming a monumental amount of time and the outcome is uncertain as
> the tools are unpredictable.

YUK
> Thanks!

You have my deepest sympathy in this
--
Clive
0

RE: Help needed in transfering or backing up/restoring Informix database via ODBC.
VP usually if you run dbaccess and the Connect to a non-trusted host you get a username/password dialogue. If you enter a valid c combination for he target host you should be able to get access (unless your assword/sshadow files are corrupt). Keith -----Original Message----- From: vpreatr@gmail.com [mailto:vpreatr@gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:32 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Help needed in transfering or backing up/restoring Informix database via ODBC. David, Unfortunately I only have ODBC access, the server is not configured to trust another INFORMIXSERVER nor can I add trust via allow.hosts (or ..rhosts) due to the level of file corruption on the failing server. Typically I'd access the server via DBACCESS and DBEXPORT remotely providing a trust relationship was established with the source location (workstation/server IP, username, etc. ) - that isn't the case here. If I attempt to access the server with such tools, I'm greeted with a "Client host or user (myid@myaddress.com) is not trusted by the server." So basically unless a utility exists with the capability of dbexport or dbcopy that can bypass or ignore the client host/use trust restrictions; I'm limited solely to ODBC and the server is truly on borrowed time. (If the Informix server were to be shutdown, it would never start again due to the level of corruption at the filesystem level) Thanks! david@smooth1.co.uk wrote: &...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch
I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My iLogin works fine, but I cannot set up the ODBC driver, I keep getting the message "[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch" I cannot leave it blank, under environment, and I cannot find any matching pairs. Can somebody help. XP client and Linux server This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0046812965257177_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" I am guessing that you are using 10.00.xC4 or the version where you have fix for 171156 IDS defect. Basically this bug fix will enforce the correct database locale setting from client (i.e. ODBC etc). If you supply the (default is en_US.1252) correct database locale(that is actually the database created with) in ODBC DSN(or your connection string) then your connection should go through. However in ODBC side as well we have the corresponding fix in place. Ask your customer support to get the patch of ODBC defects 175110 and 175746. These ODBC fixes will automatically take care of getting the correct database locale value for the given database (through DSN). Thanks & Regards -Shesh bobkot@gmail.com Sent by: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org 05/23/2006 05:58 PM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.T...

Help:informix database backup/restore with netbackup agent.
Hi, I am using Informix netbackup agent for backup and restore. The backup is done by using onbar -b -w However the restore failed by onbar -r -p or onbar -r -p -w. Is it LTAPDEV and TAPEDEV set to /dev/null causing the problem? Do I need to delete or "damage" the database before I do a restore? Any comment will be appreicated. Thanks Bin Bin Zhu wrote: > Hi, > > I am using Informix netbackup agent for backup and restore. > > The backup is done by using onbar -b -w > > However the restore failed by onbar -r -p or onb...

Re: Help:informix database backup/restore with netbackup agent.
Hi, the message "could not fork server connection, SQLCODE -25596" means that the server (IDS's oninit processes) could not be started, or they could be started but it was not possible to connect to them. The XBSA error then is the following error caused by the resulting abort. Check whether there are any "oninit" processes running for this instance after a restore attempt ("ps -ef | grep oninit" if you have only this one instance on this machine). If there are any, remove them, remove possibly left-over shared memory segments ("ipcrm ....

Restore Informix Database Problem
I need to restore informix database(IDS 7.31 in Window NT4.0) from a backup tape. Below is my problem: 1. When I'm use warm restore 'ontape -r'. It's show the error as below: "When accessing a new tape of a multivolume partition, the current blocksize is incorrect. Invalid Archive Tape." 2. When I'm use cold restore 'ontape -r'. It's show the error as below: "C:\INFORMIX\bin>ontape -r Please mount tape 1 on \\.\TAPE0 and press Return to continue ... When accessing a new tape of a multivolume partition, the curr...

ODBC connection into an Avaya Informix database
Hi, I am using an ODBC connection to get user information from an Avaya (CentreVue Supervisor) system, (it's using Informix 2000). I work in a call center where we use login/logout times for agents. The table that I'm getting data from gives it in an long integer format. (i.e. 1162373160 would be 11/1/06 9:26AM - login AND 1162373168 would be 11/1/06 9:33AM - logout) Also, I'm using Access 97 as a capture point. Is there any way to decode the integer date ? like with an Access or SQL query? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you do a small stored procedure, I guess it's doable. It would be something like: select myfunc(date_col) from... my 2 cents... jgp > -----Original Message----- > From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list- > bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of jahillia@yahoo.com > Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 21:51 > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: ODBC connection into an Avaya Informix database > > Hi, > I am using an ODBC connection to get user information from an Avaya > (CentreVue Supervisor) system, (it's using Informix 2000). I work in a > call center where we use login/logout times for agents. The table that > I'm getting data from gives it in an long integer format. (i.e. > 1162373160 would be 11/1/06 9:26AM - login AND 1162373168 would be > 11/1/06 9:33AM - logout) > > Also, I'm using Access 97 as a capture poin...

Do I have to have an Informix Database?
I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! Bruce Truter wrote: > I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl > compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means > I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay w...

informix database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C38F0C.28FAA400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I use win32com.client to create ADODB.Connection and ADODB.Recordset: win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Connection') win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Recordset') I can connect to an access database and I can update it, but if I change = the connection string to connect to Informix database, its values no = refresh. Do you know any bug using Python and Informix database? Thanks. ------=...

I want to revert back to original state of database before i performed restore database
Hello, i am in great trouble. I want to revert back to original state of database before i performed restore database on my sql server 2K Database. Accidently i didn't take backup of my Database and i did restore, so is there any way to get the original state back of my Database? Any suggestion will be highly appriciated. Regards, S. Domadia. "san" <shdomadia@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1163592758.514890.277030@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > i am in great trouble. I want to revert back to original state of > database before i performed res...

Informix SchemaProvider for CodeSmith, Informix Database Provider for MS Enterprise Library
For those interested, I created a SchemaProvider for CodeSmith that uses = the Informix .NET Provider. Tested with IDS 9.4 and CSDK 2.9. Source = can be found here: http://community.codesmithtools.com/files/9/schemaproviders/entry12998.as= px CodeSmith is a great tool for generating .Net code. We're using it to = generate the middle layer objects for a .Net project here. I also have an Informix Database Provider for the Microsoft Enterprise = Library (June 2005 release). If anyone is interested, just let me know = and I'll send it your way (sbaker@moneymailer.com). Thanks, =A0 Sean. Sean Baker napisa�(a): > For those interested, I created a SchemaProvider for CodeSmith that uses the Informix .NET Provider. Tested with IDS 9.4 and CSDK 2.9. Source can be found here: > > http://community.codesmithtools.com/files/9/schemaproviders/entry12998.aspx > > CodeSmith is a great tool for generating .Net code. We're using it to generate the middle layer objects for a .Net project here. > > I also have an Informix Database Provider for the Microsoft Enterprise Library (June 2005 release). If anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll send it your way (sbaker@moneymailer.com). > > Thanks, > > Sean. I've also tried to create Informix Database Provider for Enterprise Library 2005. I've converted sample Northwind database to Informix and I've wrote the provider. Unfortunately...

need to restore old database (database server 4.01 AIX)
hi. i need to restore an old database. The db was backed up using a DLT drive, using 2 volumes. The content for the tapes was copied to file onto Solaris machine using rsh and dd (for backup purposes). Now, the drive is defective and can't read the tapes anymore. Server is AIX 4.3.2 and database is IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX Version 2.1.2) I tried doing an NFS export from solaris machine. and doing restore database ..... from /mnt but i got the following message: SQL2542N No match for a database image file was found based on the source database alias and timestamp ...

Web resources about - Help needed in transfering or backing up/restoring Informix database via ODBC. - comp.databases.informix

Helicopter Transfering Lineman to Wire - YouTube
Helicopter transfers linemen to the wire for energized insulator change-outs.

Nintendo details official process for transfering data to your New 3DS
Since the New 3DS is almost out, a lot of us are probably wondering how to copy over data from the old system both on-board data and save files ...

Terry Larrier is transfering to UConn
Terry Larrier, once a top 50 recruit, is leaving VCU to play for Kevin Ollie at UConn after just one season. The UConn Huskies went from National ...

Transfering magnetic fields across long distances
A Catalan, German and Austrian group of physicists has developed a new technology to transfer magnetic fields to arbitrary long distances, which ...

Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke accused of transfering money central to bribe case
US prosecutors allege Sepp Blatter's deputy is connected to the bribery scandal engulfing football's governing body

User:Aeusoes1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a Wiki pedia user page . This is not an encyclopedia article but maybe it should be one. If you find this page on any site other than ...

RealPlayer SuperPass - Premium Player with TV &amp Movies - 14-day Free Trial
FREE 14-day Trial RealPlayer SuperPass - Your trial of RealPlayer SuperPass is FREE. You can cancel anytime, or continue to enjoy all the features ...

Life of a Lab Rat
Dear Reader,this entry is a bit of a rant. I started writing about one thing, and finished up on a different road. But I think the final destination ...

myRTA
Back to Roads site Home About Contact us Online Tutorials Print this page Print this page Decrease Text Size Increase Text Size Change text size ...

On-Site PC Repair Specialists ** Techs-on-Call
Techs-on-Call is an on-site computer repair company. We come to you for all your computer services. Customer satisfaction is our priority.