IBM Gives Away DB2

The last of the database giants is adapting to the demands of all-you-can-eat,
no-money-down, open-source code, with IBM set to roll out a freebie DB2
version on Jan. 30.

DB2 Universal Database Express-C (Community Edition) will offer the same core
DB2 server, but in a smaller package, designed for application embedding as
well as software development, deployment and redistribution.

Regards,

Graham Smith
0
Graham

Graham Smith wrote:
> The last of the database giants is adapting to the demands of all-you-can-eat,
> no-money-down, open-source code, with IBM set to roll out a freebie DB2
> version on Jan. 30.
>
> DB2 Universal Database Express-C (Community Edition) will offer the same core
> DB2 server, but in a smaller package, designed for application embedding as
> well as software development, deployment and redistribution.

They scoffed when I suggested IDS go Open Source... guess it wasn't
so far off the mark now was it?   A waste of time with MySQL...riiiiiiiiiiight!

"We're making DB2 more accessible to "the LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP-Perl)
community of users," Spang said. "This gets exciting as we update DB2 Express
later this year with the DB2 Viper update. It will include the industry's first
hybrid data server, serving both relational and nonrelational data structures.

Bye Bye Informix!

0
Double
1/30/2006 7:51:37 PM
Double Echo said:

> They scoffed when I suggested IDS go Open Source... guess it wasn't
> so far off the mark now was it?

Could you please provide me with some of your prescription medication? I'm
struggling to follow your logic as I am unfortunately quite sober. Even
Bruichladdich isn't getting me far enough out of my mind.

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
  - Coluche

 did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all
columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this
has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record
and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent
table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila,
relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit
controversial among modellers.

--r937, dbforums.com
0
Obnoxio
1/30/2006 8:51:36 PM
Obnoxio The Clown wrote:

> Could you please provide me with some of your prescription medication? I'm
> struggling to follow your logic as I am unfortunately quite sober. Even
> Bruichladdich isn't getting me far enough out of my mind.

Don't have any prescription medication, sorry.  I suggested IDS go open
source, what, a couple of weeks ago, and here we see a DB2 product going
Open Source, _despite_ the many folks here who scoffed at the idea that a
commercial product, like a DB2 or an IDS would or could.

0
Double
1/31/2006 5:56:34 AM
Double Echo said:

> Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
>
>> Could you please provide me with some of your prescription medication?
>> I'm
>> struggling to follow your logic as I am unfortunately quite sober. Even
>> Bruichladdich isn't getting me far enough out of my mind.
>>

> Don't have any prescription medication, sorry.  I suggested IDS go open
> source, what, a couple of weeks ago, and here we see a DB2 product going
> Open Source, _despite_ the many folks here who scoffed at the idea that a
> commercial product, like a DB2 or an IDS would or could.

It's going Open Source? Where do you see that? There's an ENORMOUS
difference between "free license" and Open Source.

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
  - Coluche

 did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all
columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this
has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record
and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent
table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila,
relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit
controversial among modellers.

--r937, dbforums.com
0
Obnoxio
1/31/2006 9:52:56 AM
Obnoxio The Clown wrote:

> Double Echo said:
>>
>> Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
>>
>>> Could you please provide me with some of your prescription medication?
>>> I'm
>>> struggling to follow your logic as I am unfortunately quite sober. Even
>>> Bruichladdich isn't getting me far enough out of my mind.
>>>

>> Don't have any prescription medication, sorry.  I suggested IDS go open
>> source, what, a couple of weeks ago, and here we see a DB2 product going
>> Open Source, _despite_ the many folks here who scoffed at the idea that a
>> commercial product, like a DB2 or an IDS would or could.
>
> It's going Open Source? Where do you see that? There's an ENORMOUS
> difference between "free license" and Open Source.

I think that DoubleEcho means that IBM is trying to get
some mindfulness in the open source community. Positioning DB2
as alternative to mysql or postgres inside the open source stack
(linux apache, php/perl/python...).

However a real open source IDS, like they already have done with
cloudscape, would be a great chance for Informix to get some
market penetration back.

I'm not sure, but it looks like to me that in the next 1-2 years,
database vendors will not charge for their licenses anymore.
The Sun/Oracle announcement and the DB2 Express offer might be
first indications of a changing mindset.
Giving away the license for free and charging for support and
services.

0
Eric
1/31/2006 11:39:43 AM
Eric Herber said:

> However a real open source IDS, like they already have done with
> cloudscape, would be a great chance for Informix to get some
> market penetration back.

Why? To a business person, "free" means something, "open source" means
nothing. If IBM offered a free "IDS Express" that competed in the same
space, it would be the thing that would get IDS into the mix. To people
who have a vision about how IT could be, Open Source means something. To
someone running a business, it means nothing.

The only reason there has been any acceptance of open source in the
business community is the sticker price. And once you factor in the
outrageous support contract prices from people offering commercial
support, it's often cheaper to buy a commercial product.

TANSTAAFL: the sticker price of commercial software helps subsidise the
support costs.

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
  - Coluche

 did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all
columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this
has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record
and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent
table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila,
relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit
controversial among modellers.

--r937, dbforums.com
0
Obnoxio
1/31/2006 11:40:14 AM
I know we all rag on the jet-setting, in-IBM's-pocket IIUG ass all the
time, so for the sake of balance, I'd like to say thanks to them for a job
very well done on the new mail servers, which seem to be a LOT faster and
so far, more reliable.

Thanks!

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
  - Coluche

 did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all
columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this
has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record
and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent
table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila,
relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit
controversial among modellers.

--r937, dbforums.com
0
Obnoxio
1/31/2006 11:43:18 AM
Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
> Double Echo said:
>
>>Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
>>

>>>Could you please provide me with some of your prescription medication?
>>>I'm
>>>struggling to follow your logic as I am unfortunately quite sober. Even
>>>Bruichladdich isn't getting me far enough out of my mind.
>>>

>>Don't have any prescription medication, sorry.  I suggested IDS go open
>>source, what, a couple of weeks ago, and here we see a DB2 product going
>>Open Source, _despite_ the many folks here who scoffed at the idea that a
>>commercial product, like a DB2 or an IDS would or could.
>

> It's going Open Source? Where do you see that? There's an ENORMOUS
> difference between "free license" and Open Source.

You're right!  I meant free.

:0)

I was so happy to see this my pen broke.

0
Double
1/31/2006 12:45:05 PM
Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
> I know we all rag on the jet-setting, in-IBM's-pocket IIUG ass all the
> time, so for the sake of balance, I'd like to say thanks to them for a job
> very well done on the new mail servers, which seem to be a LOT faster and
> so far, more reliable.
>
> Thanks!

Did you shag the cow?

0
Double
1/31/2006 12:50:28 PM
Eric Herber wrote:
> Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
>

>>Double Echo said:

>>>Don't have any prescription medication, sorry.  I suggested IDS go open
>>>source, what, a couple of weeks ago, and here we see a DB2 product going
>>>Open Source, _despite_ the many folks here who scoffed at the idea that a
>>>commercial product, like a DB2 or an IDS would or could.
>>
>>It's going Open Source? Where do you see that? There's an ENORMOUS
>>difference between "free license" and Open Source.
>>

> I think that DoubleEcho means that IBM is trying to get
> some mindfulness in the open source community. Positioning DB2
> as alternative to mysql or postgres inside the open source stack
> (linux apache, php/perl/python...).
>
> However a real open source IDS, like they already have done with
> cloudscape, would be a great chance for Informix to get some
> market penetration back.

It would also protect Informix from disappearing from the landscape.
Even Ingres won't disappear now that it's open source, for what its
worth.

> I'm not sure, but it looks like to me that in the next 1-2 years,
> database vendors will not charge for their licenses anymore.

It does suggest that MySQL is making more of an impact than the big
three are willing to admit.

> The Sun/Oracle announcement and the DB2 Express offer might be
> first indications of a changing mindset.
> Giving away the license for free and charging for support and
> services.

I think you're right.  I may be a bit premature in my excitement,
but open source is probably the next step.  It might be more a
matter of the legal dept trying to figure out how to GPL the code,
than being willing to do it.  There may be a lot of big ticket
sales for the 'enterprise' versions, and not as many in the smaller
space, thus the new strategy of going after MySQL--and even MS-SQL-Server.
Elan Le Blanc was probably smart enough not to tell us that, but simple
math at this point would lead you in that direction.  MySQL is short on
one thing though, they don't have a benchmark, which appears to be
important in the larger corporate space.  eWeek compared it to
Oracle what two years ago and this may be why all the fuss to get
a free db out there.

0
Double
1/31/2006 1:01:01 PM
Double Echo said:

> Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
>> I know we all rag on the jet-setting, in-IBM's-pocket IIUG ass all the
>> time, so for the sake of balance, I'd like to say thanks to them for a
>> job
>> very well done on the new mail servers, which seem to be a LOT faster
>> and
>> so far, more reliable.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Did you shag the cow?

I'm far too much of a gentleman to comment.

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
  - Coluche

 did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all
columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this
has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record
and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent
table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila,
relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit
controversial among modellers.

--r937, dbforums.com
0
Obnoxio
1/31/2006 1:03:51 PM
Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
> Double Echo said:
>
>>Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
>>
>>>I know we all rag on the jet-setting, in-IBM's-pocket IIUG ass all the
>>>time, so for the sake of balance, I'd like to say thanks to them for a
>>>job
>>>very well done on the new mail servers, which seem to be a LOT faster
>>>and
>>>so far, more reliable.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>>Did you shag the cow?
>

> I'm far too much of a gentleman to comment.

I thought maybe they sent you something...

8-)

0
Double
1/31/2006 1:08:28 PM
Double Echo wrote:
> Eric Herber wrote:
>
>> Obnoxio The Clown wrote:

>>> It's going Open Source? Where do you see that? There's an ENORMOUS
>>> difference between "free license" and Open Source.
>>>

>> I think that DoubleEcho means that IBM is trying to get some
>> mindfulness in the open source community. Positioning DB2
>> as alternative to mysql or postgres inside the open source stack
>> (linux apache, php/perl/python...).
>>
>> However a real open source IDS, like they already have done with
>> cloudscape, would be a great chance for Informix to get some
>> market penetration back.
>>

> It would also protect Informix from disappearing from the landscape.
> Even Ingres won't disappear now that it's open source, for what its
> worth.
>
>> I'm not sure, but it looks like to me that in the next 1-2 years,
>> database vendors will not charge for their licenses anymore.
>

> It does suggest that MySQL is making more of an impact than the big
> three are willing to admit.
>
>> The Sun/Oracle announcement and the DB2 Express offer might be
>> first indications of a changing mindset.
>> Giving away the license for free and charging for support and
>> services.
>>

> I think you're right.  I may be a bit premature in my excitement,
> but open source is probably the next step.  It might be more a
> matter of the legal dept trying to figure out how to GPL the code,
> than being willing to do it.  There may be a lot of big ticket
> sales for the 'enterprise' versions, and not as many in the smaller
> space, thus the new strategy of going after MySQL--and even MS-SQL-Server.
> Elan Le Blanc was probably smart enough not to tell us that, but simple
> math at this point would lead you in that direction.  MySQL is short on
> one thing though, they don't have a benchmark, which appears to be
> important in the larger corporate space.  eWeek compared it to
> Oracle what two years ago and this may be why all the fuss to get
> a free db out there.
I don't see any of the big three open source their products any time soon.
There is no need.

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 Solutions Development
Serge Rielau wrote:

> I don't see any of the big three open source their products any time soon.
> There is no need.
>
> Cheers
> Serge

There may be no need today, ( narrowly supporting your statement ) but one
could expect that something will be open source before too long.  I would
be willing to bet that there is something in the works for ALL the commercial
products to have an open-source version very very soon.  It may not be a
version that is available today, but you can easily see where things are headed.

See also http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1880116,00.asp

"When IBM got behind Linux, many people assumed that they had given up on AIX.
Conventional wisdom being that you can't have two competing products especially
when one is free or nearly free. Well how did that turn out for IBM? Last I
checked, they were doing quite well selling hardware with both operating systems,
their biggest rival (Sun Microsystems) has been in a five-year decline, and AIX
has moved up from a distant third in Unix market share to take the overall lead
in the proprietary Unix market."
--Oracle's Free Database Is Good for Business
By Charles Garry, eWeek, October 31, 2005

0
Double
1/31/2006 1:28:05 PM
Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
> To a business person, "free" means something, "open source" means
> nothing.

Only until it's properly explained to them.

> The only reason there has been any acceptance of open source in the
> business community is the sticker price.

By focusing on the price tag, you're completely missing the point of
Open Source/Free Software. The point is freedom. The freedom to inspect
the software, the freedom to hire whoever you want to support it. The
freedom to make it do whatever you need it to do to run your business.
Freedom gives you flexibility, which allows you to run your business
better than by using shrink-wrapped proprietary software.

Free-of-charge proprietary software is still proprietary software, and
it doesn't come with the freedoms that Open Source software allows. Any
businessman understands that it wouldn't make a lot of business sense
to buy a car that requires a special key to unlock the hood and that
can only be fixed by the guy that sold it to you. When put in those
terms, Open Source software means something very real beyond the price
tag to someone running a business.

Just my two cents,

Carsten.

0
carsten
1/31/2006 1:52:03 PM
Double Echo said:

> I thought maybe they sent you something...

A cow's head in my bed? :o)

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
  - Coluche

 did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all
columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this
has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record
and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent
table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila,
relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit
controversial among modellers.

--r937, dbforums.com
0
Obnoxio
1/31/2006 2:10:07 PM
carsten@uniqsys.com said:

> By focusing on the price tag, you're completely missing the point of
> Open Source/Free Software. The point is freedom. The freedom to inspect
> the software, the freedom to hire whoever you want to support it. The
> freedom to make it do whatever you need it to do to run your business.
> Freedom gives you flexibility, which allows you to run your business
> better than by using shrink-wrapped proprietary software.

The fundamental flaw in your reasoning can be summed up in two words:
"core competence". In theory, yes, it's nice that you can do all those
things, but most businesspeople couldn't give a shit. They want to get out
there and sell their widgets or find some way of differentiating their
products or skills from the rest of the market. They really couldn't care
less about whether they are running on AIX or Linux, as long as it's
cost-effective and it does the job.

Bespoke applications are how you get competitive advantage out of IT, NOT
from bespoke infrastructure.

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
  - Coluche

 did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all
columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this
has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record
and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent
table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila,
relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit
controversial among modellers.

--r937, dbforums.com
0
Obnoxio
1/31/2006 2:18:56 PM
Obnoxio The Clown wrote:

> Eric Herber said:
>>
>> However a real open source IDS, like they already have done with
>> cloudscape, would be a great chance for Informix to get some
>> market penetration back.
>
> Why? To a business person, "free" means something, "open source" means
> nothing. If IBM offered a free "IDS Express" that competed in the same
> space, it would be the thing that would get IDS into the mix. To people
> who have a vision about how IT could be, Open Source means something. To
> someone running a business, it means nothing.
>
> The only reason there has been any acceptance of open source in the
> business community is the sticker price. And once you factor in the
> outrageous support contract prices from people offering commercial
> support, it's often cheaper to buy a commercial product.
>
> TANSTAAFL: the sticker price of commercial software helps subsidise the
> support costs.

Obnoxio, you are probably right. However I thought about the  presumably
positive response from the open source community as it seems to be the
case with cloudscape.
There are a quite a few very smart people with impressive ideas working
in this area and the potential of the Informix datablade technology
in the hands of those guys might bring some groundbreaking new
possibilities for IDS.

A "free" IDS might be a valid alternative to "open source".
The key is to inspire those developers to realize the potential
of the Informix technology and that they work with it.
Extensibility is only one of the key areas, replication is another
really important one.

Distributing IDS Express for free might not be enough, because some
important features are missing:

- PDQ
- HPL
- HDR
- ER

Some of them are real differentiators to open source databasesystems.
So from my point of view a free IDS EE edition or at least a
developer version without any time limit including all those nice
features would make sense.
Give developers the chance to work with this technology and encourage
them to build applications on top of it. I'm confident that there
is some great potential in the area of grid computing combined
with IDS enterprise replication and extensibility features.

will build

0
Eric
1/31/2006 2:53:10 PM
carsten@uniqsys.com wrote:

> By focusing on the price tag, you're completely missing the point of
> Open Source/Free Software. The point is freedom. The freedom to inspect
> the software, the freedom to hire whoever you want to support it. The
> freedom to make it do whatever you need it to do to run your business.
> Freedom gives you flexibility, which allows you to run your business
> better than by using shrink-wrapped proprietary software.

And the freedom that comes with knowing that it will require full and
comprehensive testing of every single variant before anyone would risk
a law violation using it with SAP, eBusiness Suite, PeopleSoft, JD
Edwards, Siebel, Baan, etc.

Given the testing would cost more than the commercial software license
I think pretty much everyone will pass.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
carsten@uniqsys.com wrote:
> Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
>
>>To a business person, "free" means something, "open source" means
>>nothing.
>

> Only until it's properly explained to them.
>

>>The only reason there has been any acceptance of open source in the
>>business community is the sticker price.
>

> By focusing on the price tag, you're completely missing the point of
> Open Source/Free Software. The point is freedom. The freedom to inspect
> the software, the freedom to hire whoever you want to support it. The
> freedom to make it do whatever you need it to do to run your business.
> Freedom gives you flexibility, which allows you to run your business
> better than by using shrink-wrapped proprietary software.
>
> Free-of-charge proprietary software is still proprietary software, and
> it doesn't come with the freedoms that Open Source software allows. Any
> businessman understands that it wouldn't make a lot of business sense
> to buy a car that requires a special key to unlock the hood and that
> can only be fixed by the guy that sold it to you. When put in those
> terms, Open Source software means something very real beyond the price
> tag to someone running a business.
>
> Just my two cents,
>
> Carsten.

Audits, TrueUps, renewals, this too is a lot of overhead that is not always as
visible on the surface.  Then add to that, the support contract, and it gets
really time consuming, because support in most cases is based on how old the
license is, the version, etc etc etc.  What will probably happen in the
future is some kind of sliding scale for support over time, but without the
license cost up front or renewal license.

Open Source helps to negate the need to manage licensing, which if you have
ever had to deal with licensing on a larger, corporate scale, it is a full
time job.  'Free' gets you closer, as a free-to-use license, and will
greatly reduce the overhead associated with licensing.  It reduces too a
lot of barriers to using the software.   For example, corporate users of
Linux are less concerned about the license and more about the support.  This
will be a welcome change for the full-feature db versions when that comes
about.  It will make less of a headache for management concerned about
those damn licenses.  ;-)

I will be curious to see how well these 'lite' versions are adopted in the
corporate space, but in looking at what features are NOT included it looks
like IBM is testing the water to see what kind of response it will get.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/edition-express.html

There is more "N/A" than not, that I'd still be inclined to go hunting for
what MySQL has, which includes replication and clustering without the upgrade
cost. As far as small to mid-size systems go, MySQL doesn't leave anything out
but support.  When 'the big three' get to this model then it will be interesting.

0
Double

Give it away, give it away, give it away, now...
Looking for that *special* present for a loved one? Imagine their surprise when they tear open the wrapping paper and find a complete Du Pont Eurosprint Cromalin system! Not only do you get an SRA3 laminator and Studio Press - but there's more. You also get a glow-in-the-dark Studio Frame. Seriously though... It's in good working order - but taking up too much space. This stuff is in London EC2 and heading for a skip unless somebody wants to rescue it. -- Martin Thanks for the morning laugh. If I lived in London and had a flatbed van...no, wait, doesn't it cost eight po...

RE: IBM Gives Away DB2
"Bye Bye Informix!" The IIUG will not let that happen... -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Double Echo Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 1:52 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: IBM Gives Away DB2 Graham Smith wrote: > The last of the database giants is adapting to the demands of=20 > all-you-can-eat, no-money-down, open-source code, with IBM set to roll > out a freebie DB2 version on Jan. 30. >=20 > DB2 Universal Database Express-C (Community Edition) will offer the=20 > same core > DB2 server, but in a smaller package, designed for application=20 > embedding as well as software development, deployment and redistribution. >=20 > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1916097,00.asp They scoffed when I suggested IDS go Open Source... guess it wasn't so far off the mark now was it? A waste of time with MySQL...riiiiiiiiiiight! "We're making DB2 more accessible to "the LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP-Perl) community of users," Spang said. "This gets exciting as we update DB2 Express later this year with the DB2 Viper update. It will include the industry's first hybrid data server, serving both relational and nonrelational data structures. Bye Bye Informix! _______________________________________________ Informix-list mailing list Informix-list@iiug.org http://www.iiug.org/mailm...

Re: Re: IBM Gives Away DB2
*Personally* I think that IDS going fully open source is the best that it c= ould happen... for me ;) However a free version of IDS, even Express, even limited would be great. It allow me to develop applications on top of it without the curse of downl= oading trial versions or getting older versions from the iiug. For me there is only IDS, the others matter me not much unless there are fr= ee versions of them (In fact I have a free version (developer) of Sql-Ser= ver and am in the proccess og getting the Oracle one). Soo.. When could we have at least a current IDS-free version? J. PD: Maybe it will be, not when hell freeze... as facts has shown. Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@gmail.com ...

RE: IBM Gives Away DB2 #2
That's all the IIUG would say....=20 -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Double Echo Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 4:30 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: IBM Gives Away DB2 Hamilton, Jerry wrote: > "Bye Bye Informix!" >=20 > The IIUG will not let that happen... >=20 That's all you can say? _______________________________________________ Informix-list mailing list Informix-list@iiug.org http://www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/informix-list ...

Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??
Hello, I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle database to IBM DB2 database? Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your Oracle version back-leveled? Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone used to convert to DB2. Thank you. Charles On 6 Feb, 01:52, "Charles Davis" <cdavis10...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 d...

Connect to IBM DB2 database without installing the DB2 client.
Hi, To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 client. Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single file (db2cli.dll). I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on Linux machine. Regards, Santosh SB wrote: > Hi, > > To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 > client. > Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single > file (db2cli.dll). > I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on >...

Guardium now supports all IBM platforms
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C67B87.40DB9312 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Guardium now supports all IBM platforms - DB2 UDB, DB2 for z/OS and Informix =20 WALTHAM, Mass. (May 9, 2006) - Guardium, the database security company, today launched a major new release of its network-based platform for protecting sensitive information stored in critical systems such as Oracle, PeopleSoft, Siebel, SAP and custom enterprise applications. By adding mainframe support and doubling the number of database platforms supported, Guardium SQL Guard(tm) V5.0 makes it even easier to implement a unified set of policy-based controls across heterogeneous, multi-vendor database infrastructures. In addition to strengthening real-time controls over corporate information assets, the new release enhances operational efficiency by automating and consolidating compliance reporting across a broader range of platforms. SQL Guard eliminates the complexity of having to reconfigure each DBMS platform and produce separate reports for key regulations such as SOX. Organizations can now automatically produce aggregated, enterprise-wide views of all unusual data access patterns, privileged user activities and unauthorized changes to sensitive database structures. New Platforms The Guardium solution now supports all IBM production platforms, including both IBM DB2 fo...

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver when connecting to a DB2 database using driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource
Hi, I want to get connection to a DB2 database using the driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource. I have also included 'db2java.zip' in the classpath. However I am getting the exception java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at Conn.main(Conn.java:44) The code that I am using (with try/catch removed) is as follows: String url = "jdbc:db2:sample"; String driver = "COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource"; String dbuser = "db2u...

ANNOUNCE: DBD::Informix
IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01 (2005-03-14) has been uploaded to CPAN. IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl (also known as DBD::Informix) is the driver code that enables Perl 5.6.1 or later to access Informix databases via the DBI module (but if you are not already using Perl 5.8.5, you should be planning to upgrade to it). You will need the code for DBI version 1.38 or later as well (v1.48 recommended). The code for DBD::Informix is available for download via: http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-category/07_Database_Interfaces http://dbi.perl.org/ ** When you...

oct 24 DB2 for LUW Tech Talk: What's Hot from IOD for PureData Systems, IBM Mobile Database and DB2 for LUW
Now we can tell you more! IBM announced PureData Systems on October 9th --= a series of expert integrated solutions for your transactional and analyti= c workloads.=20 In the next DB2 Tech Talk, we'll come to you from Las Vegas with hot news f= rom the conference from a DB2 for LUW, PureData Systems perspective! We'll= also cover a new free software download called IBM Mobile Database, which = helps you enable your DB2 data apps for Android mobile users. And then we = will bring you the best of the presentations from the conference, including= an IBM Champion and other ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

[...]

giving away my entire ibm collection
recepient just pays shipping, includes, atari, trs80, coco, tandy, ibm, apple2, commodore, CPM, etc. Jeff Wood 307-222-4224 proteanthread at yahoo will *ATTEMPT* to have a list shortly if interested; want to give it away to interested parties who'll help take care of this retro stash have ibm's from pc/xt pc/jr thru pentium P60 (ProteanThread) wrote: > > recepient just pays shipping, includes, atari, trs80, coco, tandy, ibm, > apple2, commodore, CPM, etc. > > Jeff Wood > 307-222-4224 > proteanthread at yahoo > > will *ATTEMPT* to ...

IBM Sets DB2 Database Free
http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006013101526NWSV Will UniVerse and UniData follow? Henrry Keultjes hbkeultjesat earthlinkdotnet csigline@hotmail.com wrote: > http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006013101526NWSV > > Will UniVerse and UniData follow? Good catch, Henry (or is it two r's now-see below). We will have to ask IBM what their intentions are with U2 in light of this, but I suspect that the PE editions will be the extent of the free offering. We shall see. Cheers! --dawn > Henrry Keultjes > hbkeultjesat > earthlinkdotnet Hard to compete when others such as MS SQL and Oracle are offering free versions too. mpizl@yahoo.com wrote: > Hard to compete when others such as MS SQL and Oracle are offering free > versions too. The only one my primary ISP will provide for me is MySQL. I suspect that is true of other ISPs as well. I feel the barometer falling in the database industry. cheers! --dawn do you think we can at least get some stuff for free like pdp.net? What is RD going to do to survive? Cant see too many new people wanting to learn or buy pick. dawn wrote: > mpizl@yahoo.com wrote: > >>Hard to compete when others such as MS SQL and Oracle are offering free >>versions too. > > > The only one my primary ISP will provide for me is MySQL. I suspect > that is true of other ISPs as well. I feel the barometer falling in > the datab...

Informix WGE with IBM DB2 Gold Bundle
Looks like there is some hope for Informix in my company. I am proposing DB2 Gold Bundle for Workgroup edition so that we can switch to DB2 when we are ready. However there is a confusion in WGE features. Informix WGE can only run on max 2 CPU DB2 WGE = 4 CPU Informix WGE = No replication of any kind. DB2 WGE = Replication supported. If Gold Bundle gives the customer the option to switch to DB2 any time, shouldn't they have the same CPU limitation. Otherwise appropriate hardware has to be purchased. IBM Canada is saying that they have received this compliant from other c...

Re: IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit,
vvcd said: > IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 > bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite > Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express > Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM > Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other > IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 > CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM > Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for Web...

Using .NET to access to a IBM DB2 database
Hello I'm trying to connect to a IBM DB2 database with IBMDA400 Provider. I cannot choose the provider, this is the only one I can use. The tables in AS/400 don't have journal and I cannot change this. When I define an ODBC and link tables in ACCESS I can perform every actions. I change the ODBC options to commit data immediately. Using the same ODBC and the same insert statement, when I connect in my C# application using ODBCConnection, I get this error: ERROR [42S22] [IBM][Controlador ODBC do iSeries Access][DB2 UDB]SQL0206 - Column N not in specified tables. Wh...

Web resources about - IBM Gives Away DB2 - comp.databases.informix

GOP's Growing Sense of Inevitability About Trump
If Republicans hope to stop Donald Trump from winning their party’s nomination for the presidency, it may be too late. Party insiders now regularly ...

Twin suicide bombing kills 70 in Baghdad's deadliest attack this year
Reuters Twin suicide bombing kills 70 in Baghdad's deadliest attack this year Reuters BAGHDAD A twin suicide bombing claimed by Islamic State ...

Pakistan hangs Islamist who killed blasphemy reform governor: police
Pakistan on Monday hanged the assassin of a governor who sought reform of the country's blasphemy law, officials and supporters told AFP, saying ...

Samsung cleared of 2014 Apple patent infringement case
It might be less than a fourth of the hefty sum it had to pay Apple last year, but even a $120 million reprieve is a big break for Samsung. But ...

Gods of Egypt is like Beast Wars crossed with bad Internet porn
Hey everybody! I didn't have to wear miniskirt armor in this movie, so I count that as a big win! (credit: Gods of Egypt) By now you’ve heard ...

‘The Walking Dead’ Season 6 Recap: Norman Reedus’ Daryl Dixon Calls Out Negan, Lauren Cohan Explains ...
The Walking Dead Season 6 just took a breather with the latest episode. The frenetic pace settled down with the humorous way Paul “Jesus” Rovia ...

Melissa Harris-Perry won't be back for her MSNBC show
NEW YORK (AP) — Melissa Harris-Perry and MSNBC are going their separate ways.

'Spotlight' & Tom McCarthy Win Top Prizes at 2016 Indie Spirit Awards
The Independent Spirit Awards are an annual award given in the name of independent film, featuring plenty of those little indies which deserve ...

The Oscars' cutest moment happened when 'Star Wars' droids crashed the show
The 2016 Academy Awards were so un-diverse, even the Star Wars droids weren't invited. But C-3PO, R2-D2 and BB-8 still managed to crash the ...

Ohio pastor shot dead at church, and his brother has been arrested
CNN Ohio pastor shot dead at church, and his brother has been arrested CNN (CNN) A pastor was shot dead by his brother at an Ohio church on ...