IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. http://www-306.ibm.com/)

Hi everyone,

  one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following:

  > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
                        ^^^^
  please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead
  quote it like this:

    http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/

  The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host,
  to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has
  been routed automatically.

  Usually, the routing will be stable, i.e. a URL with "-###" will
  normally work. However, if that particular machine is down, then
  a URL with the "-###" may not work.
  But a URL without "-###" will still work, because the request
  will then be routed to a different machine.

  Therefore at best leave out that "-###" when quoting such URLs.
  Otherwise, if such a URL one day does not work, remember that you
  can take away the "-###" part and it then should work.

  This is a general note, not to pick on any individual e-mail
  contributor ... only this e-mail was a good example.

  Besides, there are many people within IBM who don't understand
  the concept behind this and therefore often just do cut&paste
  of such URLs into documents, presentations, etc.
  But since this is a technical audience, I thought it may well
  worth it to (try to) explain this ... :)

Hi Jonathan,

  you want to include an item along these lines into the FAQ list?

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin Fuerderer
IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany

owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 13.12.2005 04:20:07:

> Folks,
>
> Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>
> This has
>
> - Flashs (the Old Tech Alerts about nasty bugs).
> - Technotes (bugs/other hints)
> - Product Documentation
> - Where to download fixpacks
> - Product Lifecycle (what releases are supported and until when)
> - Support Handbook (how to talk to customer support??)
>
> An excellent page!
sending to informix-list
0
Martin

Martin Fuerderer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>   one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following:
>
>   > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>                         ^^^^
>   please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead
>   quote it like this:
>
>     http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>
>   The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host,
>   to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has
>   been routed automatically.

This is not something the user should ever have to worry about,
and is more a problem with the web server configuration.  The
URL is the URL, and if IBM configured their web server(s) correctly
they wouldn't have this problem in the first place.  To suggest that
users modify the URL is philosophically wrong.  Rather, you should
mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix their web
server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask whatever
server people are redirected to.  Having users modify the URL is
ridiculous!

0
Double
12/13/2005 2:51:37 PM
Double Echo wrote:
> Martin Fuerderer wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>>   one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following:
>>
>>   > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>>                         ^^^^
>>   please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead
>>   quote it like this:
>>
>>     http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>>
>>   The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host,
>>   to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has
>>   been routed automatically.
>>

> This is not something the user should ever have to worry about,
> and is more a problem with the web server configuration.  The
> URL is the URL, and if IBM configured their web server(s) correctly
> they wouldn't have this problem in the first place.  To suggest that
> users modify the URL is philosophically wrong.  Rather, you should
> mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix their web
> server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask whatever
> server people are redirected to.  Having users modify the URL is
> ridiculous!

Here Here!

(Hear Hear?)
0
TBP

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs.
Superboer said: > > well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA > (Service-Oriented Architecture) > > in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... > > sex disease..... > > they offer their customers a soa??? > > WOEHA.. Yep, via a poxy server. :o) -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Superboer said: > >>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >> >>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >> >>sex disease..... >> >>they offer their customers a soa??? >> >>WOEHA.. > > > Yep, via a poxy server. :o) > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? "Obnoxio The Clown" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:...

Martin Fuerderer wrote: > Hi everyone, > > one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > > > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > ^^^^ > |||| > please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead > quote it like this: > > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > > The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host, > to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has > been routed automatically. > Double Echo responded: > This is not something the user should ever have to worry about, > and is more a problem with the web server configuration. I have to agree that having users modify the URL is a bit much, especially since I am prone to book marking pages that I use on a regular basis, and am not prone to go in and determine what edits I need to make to the URL in my bookmarks. Shirley, the world's largest computer company can handle a simple thing like URL masking. If not, I fear they are going to just have to deal with the spike of IIUG users flooding a particular host. Sincerely, Christopher Coleman Steering Committee President Kansas City Informix Users Group www.iiug.org/kciug Database Analyst Pharmacy Division Mediware Information Systems, Inc. 913/307-1073 sending t...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #3
ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell them :)) > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Martin Fuerderer > Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:35 > To: doubleecho@your.com > Cc: informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. > http://www-306.ibm.com/) > > > ... Rather, you should > > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix > their web > > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask > whatever > > server people are redirected to. ... > > You are right: > If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" > (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) > to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within > a very short time. > > But also wrong: > If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", > then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, > but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along > the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... > > Regards, > Martin > -- > Martin Fuerderer > IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Mana...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #4
Hi, there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. But the bespoke web-page at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ has a link for feedback: look for "Feedback" in the left navigation area on the page ... Regards, Martin -- owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52: > ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell > them :)) sending to informix-list "Martin Fuerderer" <MARTINFU@de.ibm.com> wrote in message news:dnseuo$fa5$1@news.xmission.com... > > Hi, > > there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. > But the bespoke web-page at > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > has a link for feedback: > look for "Feedback" in the left navigation > area on the page ... Yes, fill in an IBM website feedback form. Someone will IBM will call you back within the hour. NOT!!!!!!! Filling out one of these forms on IBM's website is an alternative way of getting in touch with the dead, and saves the expense of a Ouija board. I've emailed docinf@us.ibm.com on 3 things in the last 24 hours and got replies that they have been fixed. (It's past 3am since I crashed out earlier as I am not well so I'll check the fixes later.) One thing I wish IBM would do is check for broken links. Even if just periodically spidering their website slowly (slowly for their we...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2
> ... Rather, you should > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix their web > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask whatever > server people are redirected to. ... You are right: If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within a very short time. But also wrong: If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 13.12.2005 15:51:37: > Martin Fuerderer wrote: > > Hi everyone, > > > > one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > > > > > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > > ^^^^ > > |||| > > please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead > > quote it like this: > > > > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ >...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #5
Hi, there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. But the bespoke web-page at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ has a link for feedback: look for "Feedback" in the left navigation area on the page ... Regards, Martin -- owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52: > ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell > them :)) sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2
Mark Townsend said: > > Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> Superboer said: >> >>>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >>> >>>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >>> >>>sex disease..... >>> >>>they offer their customers a soa??? >>> >>>WOEHA.. >> >> >> Yep, via a poxy server. :o) >> > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? Only via a "Brown Hat" back door. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list ...

What's happened to the http://www.ibm.com/informix ?

http://mydomainname.com instead of http://www.mydomainname.com
Hi I am running BIND 8.x on Sun Solaris 8. I have a trivial question. For some reason, I am NOT able to get to http://mydomainname.com <http://mydomainname.com/> from outside or inside but http://www.mydomainname.com <http://www.mydomainname.com/> works fine. I know it is a CNAME issue, so I have my DNS setup like this www IN A IP address mydomainname IN CNAME www When I do nslookup or dig on www.mydomainname.com <http://www.mydomainname.com/> and it returns an IP but when I do it on just mydomainname.com, it returns the IP of my nameserver not my webserver. Can someone please point me in the right direction?. Thx Ragu ...

SEll Ccv/Dumps MSR ATM/(Y!M:hacking.dumpeu)/+MUCH MORE 100% good Dumps http://dumpeu.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr75-SJuhBQ http://selldumpeu.blogspot.com/ US Dumps(101 Only):
SEll Ccv/Dumps MSR ATM/(Y!M:hacking.dumpeu)/+MUCH MORE 100% good Dumps http://dumpeu.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr75-SJuhBQ http://selldumpeu.blogspot.com/ US Dumps(101 Only): contact yahoo : hacking.dumpeu email : hacking.dumpeu@yahoo.com ICQ : 671903193 US Classic = 30$ US MC Standard = 40$ US Gold = 50$ US Platinum = 80$ US Business/Corporate = 100$ US Purchasing/Signature = 120$ US MC World = 150$ US Infinite= $150 EU Dumps (UK)(201 Available only)(101 out of stock): EU Classic = 40$ EU MC Standard = 50$ EU Gold = 80$ EU Pla...

Re: http://mydomainname.com instead of http://www.mydomainname.com
look in the archives http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111230305000001&r=1&w=2 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=111229542425372&w=2 and a bunch of other places. get this book... http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4 Trebek: And the answer is... The word for this garden implement also means a person of uncertain moral character. Ken Jennings: What is a ho? Trebek: (spluttering with involuntary laughter) Rake. Rake ...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

www.ibm.com
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose. Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access parts of it (OS/2 versions of course). Regards Peter Peter J. Seymour wrote: > Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose. > Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access > parts of it (OS/2 versions of course). > Regards > Peter Netscape v4.61 and even Netscape v2.02 can still access it here. The page display is not as nice but all of the pictures, text, and links are still there. Opera 5.12 for...

Glamour models & Fasion designing New look watch my profile http://www.geocities.com/cathrina39 http://namithawithyou.blogspot.com/

Your win 10,000$ in my groups Pls register your name and address in below of the website http://www.geocities.com/cathrina39 http://namithawithyou.blogspot.com/

downloading from www.ibm.com
This is not entirely the right newsgroup but can't find a better one. I'm trying to download some files from the ThinkPad area of www.ibm.com. Most of these files now have a license dialog preceding the download. I can't get past this. The website implies my router settings may be incorrect, but does not provide more info. Any ideas? TIA Peter On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:32:45 UTC, "Peter J. Seymour" <gen6@pjsey.demon.co.uk> wrote: > This is not entirely the right newsgroup but can't find a better one. > I'm trying to download some files from the ThinkPad...

Glamour models & Fasion designing New look watch my profile http://www.geocities.com/cathrina39 http://namithawithyou.blogspot.com/ #2

Glamour models & Fasion designing New look watch my profile http://www.geocities.com/cathrina39 http://namithawithyou.blogspot.com/ #3
Glamour models & Fasion designing New look watch my profile http://www.geocities.com/cathrina39 http://namithawithyou.blogspot.com/ ...

"JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com "JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com "JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com "JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogs
"JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com " JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com " JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com " JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com " JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com " On Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:06:59 PM UTC+5, Riaz Ahmad wrote: > "JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com " > > > JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.blogspot.com " > > > JOBS IN PAKISTAN" www.pakjobs2008.bl...

IBM PS/2 : ftp.pc.ibm.com is closing down (or is it?)
Hi all, Browsing along I stumbled on this ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special Watch for the warning Then look at the filedate Let's see what happens tomorrow . . . . -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special/cdtfiles/ Looks to be stuff on 65xx series here. JWR wrote: > Hi all, > > Browsing along I stumbled on this > > ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/specia...

MBT Shoes,Timberland Shoes | jialiuonline.com, Cheap MBT shoes (http://www.jialiuonline.com)
NIKE SHOES UGG BOOT ,timberland Cl shoes-- http://www.jialiuonline.com buy UGG Boot,Timberland,Edhardy shoes,Gucci shoes (paypal payment free shipping) MBT Shoes,Timberland Shoes | jialiuonline.com, Cheap MBT shoes (http://www.jialiuonline.com) cheap UGG boot,timberland shoes,bape shoes,prada shoes,gucci ...

e-BizPhones.com, http://www.e-bizphones.com/site_map , Business Telephones and other Telecom Equipment.
Welcome to e-BizPhones e-BizPhones buys and sells Business Telephones and other telecom equipment from industry leaders around the World. Our two warehouses are stocked with names like...Nortel, Avaya, Lucent, AT&T, NEC, Toshiba, Panasonic, Vodavi, Comdial, and many others! e-BizPhones also carries Music on Hold, Conferencing, Headsets, Cabling, and other accessories. All products come standard with a One Year Warranty, backed by same day shipping! We can even recommend a certified installer in your area to assist with your new purchase. If you are searching for a specific p...

error on server ibm.software.vasmalltalk at news.software.ibm.com
400 Permission denied writing SMstore file -- throttling Configuration: Account: news.software.ibm.com Server: news.software.ibm.com Protocol: NNTP Port: 119 Secure(SSL): 0 Error Number: 400 Code: 800ccca0 "James Foster" <news@JGFoster.net> wrote in message news:Qcqdna69Jcvu0VbYnZ2dnUVZ_tGsnZ2d@totallyobjects.com... > 400 Permission denied writing SMstore file -- throttling > > Configuration: > Account: news.software.ibm.com > Server: news.software.ibm.com It appears that the entire IBM newserver is having problems (not just that one newsgroup). That seems to happen periodically. You can always post to our VA Smalltalk forum if you have a v7.x issue... http://www.instantiations.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12 -Eric Clayberg Sr. Vice President of Product Development Instantiations, Inc. mailto:clayberg@instantiations.com http://www.instantiations.com/vast ...

Web resources about - IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. http://www-306.ibm.com/) - comp.databases.informix