IDS licensing on VPAR - virtual partitioning

--0-888236923-1175003544=:22400

Hi,

We are planning to move to new hardware (HP) with Vpar (virtual partitioning), the current IDS version what we have is 9.4, we do not intend to upgrade the engine during the move but will upgrade it after a few months. As per IBM, licensing of IDS 9.4 is not supported for VPAR (virtual partitioning), in order for IDS to be supported on VPAR we need to upgrade the engine to IDS 10 and install tivoli license manager.

The question i have for the group is

1) Is anyone in this situation ?
2) Was anyone able to convert from full-capacity licensing terms to sub-capacity licensing terms (for IDS V9 within the HP/UX VPAR virtualization technology), even though a strict interpretation of IBM's licensing policies would appear to require IDS V 10+ and Tivoli License Manager?  If so, how?

Thanks

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
--0-888236923-1175003544=:22400

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">We are planning to move to new hardware (HP) with Vpar (virtual partitioning), the current IDS version what we have is 9.4, we do not intend to upgrade the engine during the move but will upgrade it after a few months. As per IBM, licensing of IDS 9.4 is not supported for VPAR (virtual partitioning), in order for IDS to be supported on VPAR we need to upgrade the engine to IDS 10 and install tivoli license manager. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.25in; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The question i have for the group is <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.25in; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">1) Is anyone in this situation ?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">2) Was anyone able to convert from full-capacity licensing terms to sub-capacity licensing terms (for IDS V9 within the HP/UX VPAR virtualization technology), even though a strict interpretation of IBM's licensing policies would appear to require IDS V 10+ and Tivoli License Manager?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If so, how?</SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"></SPAN>&nbsp;</P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">Thanks</SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"></SPAN>&nbsp;</P></DIV></div><br>

--0-888236923-1175003544=:22400--
0
infx

infx dba wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We are planning to move to new hardware (HP) with Vpar (virtual
> partitioning), the current IDS version what we have is 9.4, we do not
> intend to upgrade the engine during the move but will upgrade it after a
> few months. As per IBM, licensing of IDS 9.4 is not supported for VPAR
> (virtual partitioning), in order for IDS to be supported on VPAR we need
> to upgrade the engine to IDS 10 and install tivoli license manager.
>

> The question i have for the group is
>

> 1) Is anyone in this situation ?
>
> 2) Was anyone able to convert from full-capacity licensing terms to
> sub-capacity licensing terms (for IDS V9 within the HP/UX VPAR
> virtualization technology), even though a strict interpretation of IBM's
> licensing policies would appear to require IDS V 10+ and Tivoli License
> Manager?  If so, how?

IDS 9 is not an eligible product according to PA site.
As for the ITLM installation and regular reporting, there are very recent news... Check the following URLs:

http://www-142.ibm.com/software/sw-lotus/services/cwepassport.nsf/wdocs/tivolilicensemanager
http://www-142.ibm.com/software/sw-lotus/services/cwepassport.nsf/wdocs/subcapacityattachments
http://www-142.ibm.com/software/sw-lotus/services/cwepassport.nsf/wdocs/temporary_tracking_reporting_requirement_suspension

They're all connected... the last seems to be the more complete.

I advise you to contact IBM directly. I do not know why IDS 9 is not eligible. If may be just for commercial reasons (?) or it may be related to how ITLM works (??)
You could upgrade to 10, before the move... The upgrade from 9.4 to 10 should be painless, assuming you have a decent test environment...

Regards.

--
Fernando Nunes
Portugal

http://informix-technology.blogspot.com
My email works... but I don't check it frequently...
0
Fernando

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Hallo. I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or dbspace level. My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. Anybody may help me? Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical r...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Which version of IDS 7.31 do you have? IDS doesnt have database-level backup/restore capability. I think you can do dbspace-level backup/restore with onbar. Thanks, Uday. "Massoroto" <alanmas@gmail.co m> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org owner-informix-li cc st@iiug.org Subject ...

IDS 9.3 on Linux opening 2 database licenses at a time
Hi Header pretty much says it all. Every time a user kicks off an app which should be using 1 database licence it is taking 2, thus halving the number of users who can use the system. This doesn't seem right. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks. WanRob via DBMonster.com wrote: > Header pretty much says it all. Every time a user kicks off an app which > should be using 1 database licence it is taking 2, thus halving the number of > users who can use the system. This doesn't seem > right. Anyone got any ideas? Modify the application so that it makes just one ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3
Hi, - you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these utility commands. - using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately. You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions. See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info. - to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar. However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and be able to restore them successfully...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2
Hi, ontape (in older versions) has a limitation of 2 GB only if TAPEDEV is a file in the file system. If TAPEDEV is an actual tape device, then this restriction does not apply. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 17:11:49: > Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is > done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but > you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical > recove...

Mixing single partition and multi partition databases in the same instance
Have you seen any significant performance issues mixing single partition and multi partition databases in the same instance. If so could you please share your experience on this. Thanks, Sam. Sam Durai wrote: > Have you seen any significant performance issues mixing single > partition and multi partition databases in the same instance. If so > could you please share your experience on this. You can't. An instance is either partitioned or it is not. All databases within the instance are therefore partitioned or not. With that said, you can create a database ...

FW: RE: Informix IDS query to the Informix -list
Fwd from sputnik� ________________________________________ From: None [mailto:myinformix@rediffmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 02:08 To: Jean Georges Perrin Subject: Re: RE: Informix IDS query to the Informix -list � Hi Jean, Thank you for your prompt reply. If you can please publish the following request in informix-list@iiug.org where all our Informix gurus are roaming. I am a registered user at iiug an it was my first attempt to publish anything. Please let me know if this is not possible for you to publish in the above list. Thank you very much. Sputnik...

informix licenses
How do I find out how many informix licenses we have? Thanks in advance. Norm ...

repartitioning IBMDEFAULTGROUP from multi partitioned db to single partitioned database
Hello All, I am currently repartitioning 4 partitioned db to single partitioned db. I have moved all user/application related nodegroups from 4 partitioned to single partition successfully using redistribution nodegroup uniform. I need to drop db partition 1,2,3 in 4 partitioned DB. >From the list below, you can see that the Partition group IBMDEFAULTGROUP is spread across all the 4 partitions. DATABASE PARTITION GROUP PMAP_ID DATABASE PARTITION NUMBER IN_USE ---------------------------- ------- ---------------------------- ...

IDS database
Hello, I am just wondering if there is a public database containing the beheviour of the network (sent packets, configuration of the hosts, detected attacks, etc.). I would like to use it to compare different settings of different IDS based on synthetic traffic. Regards, mark ...

Database ID
Hi all, Can anybody tell me how the database ID is "generated" SQL> select DBID from v$database; DBID ---------- 2321854517 SQL> I'm just wondering how this number/ID is made up, or what it is composed of. As you can see below we are on a database 9.2.0.7 (on AIX 5.2) SQL> select banner from v$version; BANNER ---------------------------------------------------------------- Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0 - 64bit Production PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production CORE 9.2.0.7.0 Production TNS for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 9.2.0.7.0...

What is an Informix license ???
I guess it's a simple question, but I'm a bit confused. What counts as an Informix server license a user ?? a concurrent session ?? or anything else. If a person has two concurrent connections to a database server does he use 1 or 2 licenses ?? Regards Rainer "rvb" <rvbon@gmx.de> wrote in message news:6e9a0040.0311040743.4bfc8c1c@posting.google.com... > I guess it's a simple question, but I'm a bit confused. > > What counts as an Informix server license > > a user ?? > a concurrent session ?? > > or anyth...

License for partitioning?
Do I need additional license for partitioning? I know that I need an enterprise license for compression, but how are things with partitioning? -- http://mgogala.byethost5.com On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 03:11:18 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote: > Do I need additional license for partitioning? I know that I need an > enterprise license for compression, but how are things with > partitioning? DB2 Table Partitioning (also know as Range Partititioning) is included for free with DB2 ESE or ASE (advanced). Note that if you purchase ASE, then Deep Compression Services, Workload Man...

informix database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C38F0C.28FAA400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I use win32com.client to create ADODB.Connection and ADODB.Recordset: win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Connection') win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Recordset') I can connect to an access database and I can update it, but if I change = the connection string to connect to Informix database, its values no = refresh. Do you know any bug using Python and Informix database? Thanks. ------=...

Web resources about - IDS licensing on VPAR - virtual partitioning - comp.databases.informix

Disk partitioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A partition editor software program can be used to create, resize, delete, and manipulate these partitions on the HDD. A partition consists of ...

[FOSDEM 2014] Jailhouse, a Partitioning Hypervisor for Linux - YouTube
Jailhouse, a Partitioning Hypervisor for Linux Speaker: Jan Kiszka This talk will introduce the architecture of Jailhouse, describe typical use ...

The Partitioning of the Western World
... appeared in German at Politically Incorrect . The translator includes this note: Below is an essay by W. Schmidt entitled “The Partitioning ...

Wind River Introduces Safe Partitioning
VxWorks safety solutions for industrial and automotive applications

PSA: New Nook Color partitioning only leaves 1GB for music, other sideloaded content
If you're planning to pick up a Nook Color, keep an eye out for a little blue dot on the box no, they're not defective, but new models with the ...

Parted Magic partitioning tool updated
The 4.11 update to the open source Parted Magic multi-platform partitioning tool is based on the 2.6.32.15 Linux kernel and Parted 2.3

SteamOS Beta Now Supports Dual-Boot and Custom Partitioning
When we first took a look at installing the SteamOS beta , it lacked important features like dual-booting or using non-NVIDIA graphics cards. ...

Resource Partitioning and Why It Matters
How can seemingly similar species coexist in the same ecological community without one pushing the other to extinction through competition? What ...

Partitioning a Hard Drive in Vista
How to proceed with a PC that has Windows Vista preinstalled.