Informix 7.3 to Informix 9.x

I have an Informix question that I hope someone can give some input on=2E W=
e=0D=0Aare currently running Informix 7=2E3 on HPUX 10=2E20=2E We're planni=
ng to=0D=0Aupgrade HP to 11i and want to move ahead in upgrading Informix t=
o 9=2Ex=2E=0D=0AWe've had the 9=2E2 and 9=2E3 versions of Informix for a fe=
w years now but=0D=0Awas never able to get around to moving forward with an=
 upgrade=2E My hope=0D=0Ais that you can answer these questions based on yo=
ur experience and what=0D=0Ayou know to be true:=0D=0A=0D=0A1=2E  Is Inform=
ix 7=2E3 compatible on HPUX 11i?=0D=0A2=2E  Which version of Informix 9=2Ex=
 the best one with the least bugs? Is 9=2Ex=0D=0Acompatible on HPUX 11i?=0D=
=0A3=2E  In the 9=2Ex version, which version of the supporting components (=
ESQL,=0D=0ASQL, 4GL, etc=2E) should be used with the 9=2Ex version?=0D=0A4=
=2E  Any pros and cons?=0D=0A =0D=0AHas anyone been where we're trying to g=
et?=0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A=0D=0A-----------------------------------------=0D=
=0AThis message and any attachments may contain confidential=0D=0Ainformati=
on or trade secrets of SMI=2E  SMI will take legal action=0D=0Aagainst any =
person who improperly uses or discloses SMI's=0D=0Aconfidential information=
 or trade secrets=2E  If you have received=0D=0Athis message in error, plea=
se notify the sender immediately and=0D=0Adelete and destroy this message a=
nd its attachments=2E=0D=0A
0
Debra

>> 1.  Is Informix 7.3 compatible on HPUX 11i?
Yes.

>> 2.  Which version of Informix 9.x the best one with the least bugs? Is
>> 9.x
compatible on HPUX 11i?
The most recent one you'd hope!  I think this is 9.40xC8

>> 3.  In the 9.x version, which version of the supporting components (ESQL,
SQL, 4GL, etc.) should be used with the 9.x version?
Any.

>> 4.  Any pros and cons?
Of upgrading?  It'll bring you to a version with a longerv commitment for
support, as things stand; some people think it performs better; database
administration is easier (large chunks etc).  If you want to use any of the
additional functionality of v9, such as extended data types or datablades,
you can. On the downside, you'll have to pay to upgrade from v7 -> v9, as
IBM considers them to be different products from a sales perspective.

>> Has anyone been where we're trying to get?

 I've done plenty of upgrades from 7 to 9 or 10, including some on HP-UX, if
that's what you're asking.

HTH
Neil

0
Neil

Informix 9.4 restore using SQL BT 3.7 (64 bit) fails after upgrade of Informix to 9.4 from 9.3
I am getting the following error when I run the restore: dm_write_disk_object_obsi: WRITE for file (Obsi Pipe) (filedes (0) length (31388)) failed. OBSI SDK Error (Bad file number (9)) Has anyone seen this error before? The restore of the rootdbspace ran fine..Anyone know of any known issues performing restores after upgrading from Informix 9.3 to 9.4. This is on a Solaris box and the Backup vendor is Syncsort Backup Express ...

RE: Moving Data from Informix SE 4 to Informix SE 7 #3

writing a blob into database (informix 7.3)
We have Informix 7.3 here and for various reasons we will be stuck with it for a while. I need to write some graphical objects into a database table and I was just assessing the feasibility but failed at the first hurdle <sigh>. I created the simplest of tables, like this one below: create table tt_pics ( id char(10), pic byte in blobspace ) I then tried two ways of putting things into this table: Method 1: using the LOAD command The manual was very terse about loading stuff into a table with a byte column. So I just took a shoot in the dark and...

Informix Upgrade 7.31 to 9.3
We will process our first Informix upgrade from 7.31 to 9.3 on AIX. Has anyone previously upgraded on these versions and if so can you tell me the general steps you followed? Also, are there any tips or alerts we should know about? Thanks very much, J Nethercutt ...

RE: Informix Upgrade 7.31 to 9.3
Only thing we did was the update statistics drop distributions and then rebuild them high again.. Wayne Martin Database Administrator Kmart Corporation -----Original Message----- From: jnethercutt@wehco.com [mailto:jnethercutt@wehco.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 9:25 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Informix Upgrade 7.31 to 9.3 We will process our first Informix upgrade from 7.31 to 9.3 on AIX. Has anyone previously upgraded on these versions and if so can you tell me the general steps you followed? Also, are there any tips or alerts we should know about? ...

[OdbcException: ERROR [HY000] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Transaction not available.]
I 've connected to informix database. i want to begin an odbc transaction in my C# code. then the error occured. ERROR [HY000] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Transaction not available. pls help me, How can i solve this problem? is it needed to especial setting in the informix db? thanks alot, for the problem, i set the informix : no log--> log and the problem 's solved. Mahta On 31 Dec 2006 23:05:58 -0800, Mahta <mahbahj@gmail.com> wrote: > I 've connected to informix database. i want to begin an odbc > transaction in my C# code. then the error occured. > > ERROR [HY000] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Transaction not > available. > > pls help me, How can i solve this problem? > is it needed to especial setting in the informix db? Informix databases can be created with support for transactions - not recommended, but possible. It appears that your database is one such - so any operations that use transactions are going to fail like that. Fix - don't use transactions in C#, or add transactions to the database. For the latter, read the manuals (ontape, onbar). -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2005.02 -- http://dbi.perl.org/ ...

Informix Informix :: Rumors and other tales
Rumor has it that the latest upcoming download of IDS at the IIUG website will not have a timebomb... very cool. This is something that IIUG President Stuart Litel has apparently pulled off for all the versions..."They are a 5 process limit and will be available for Linux, Windows, AIX, SUN and HP (Itanium 64 bit)" ... ( I don't know any more than that don't ask me... :-) No - this is something that Carolyn Woods pulled off when she was the IBM Liason to the IIUG, and then Christine Normile continued when she was product manager. They both were vetoed by the President of the IIUG himself. Carolyn finally gave up (I've known Carolyn since the beginning of time - she doesn't "give up" on anything). He didn't want users to have to fill out a form to get the download - we'll see if that has to happen or not when 10.5 comes out. DE - you should run for President of the IIUG this year...you have knack for stating rumor as fact ("...something that SL pulled off apparently...."). Too bad someone from the current board that knows all the details of these "events" doesn't speak up - the story is pretty clear and simple. Mark Scranton Informix 1995-2006 Double Echo wrote: > Rumor has it that the latest upcoming download of IDS at the IIUG website will not have a timebomb... very cool. This is something that IIUG President Stuart Litel has apparently pulled off for all the versions......

Informix Training for Informix Users
Hello, Free Webcast - Database Driven Websites - Using PHP with Informix by Thomas Beebe, Advanced DataTools Corporation You are invited to attend our next Webcast on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time What do Wikipedia, Facebook, Wordpress, and Yahoo all have in common? They all run on PHP. PHP is an open source server-side scripting language designed for Web development to produce dynamic Web pages. And it works great with the fastest database, Informix. In this talk we will be discussing how quick and easy it is get going in PHP and how to set up PHP to talk to Informix using the PDO driver library. You can easily use PHP to select, insert, update and delete data from an Informix database to create a database driven web site. To Register - http://www.advancedatatools.com/Informix/NextWebcast.html Informix Training at Advanced DataTools Our 2013 Informix Training Schedule is online. We have classes for new Informix DBA's or advanced Informix DBA's. Attend a advanced class taught by Lester Knutsen and Art Kagal. Register early as our classes filled up last year. March 11-14, 2013 - Informix for Database Administrators. This course is for database administrators, programmers, and technical support personnel who will be setting up, managing, and tuning IBM Informix 11, 10, or 7 databases. July 15-18, 2013 - Advanced Informix Performance Tuning. This course is for database administrators and application developers who ...

RE: Informix Upgrade 7.31 to 9.3 #2
First, you might search through the IIUG website to see if you can find a copy of Carlton Doe's presentation on 'Upgrading to IDS 9.3 / 9.4' from last years' Data Management conference (?). Below is an excerpt from a document we wrote at the time to smooth our transition from IDS 7.31.UC2 to IDS 9.30.FC1 a year ago. We did an 'upgrade in place'. You'll find many people prefer to export / import. With the size of most of my databases, that is not an option - we must upgrade in place (our databases range from 20 GB to 300 GB) and we are never allowed more than...

[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch
I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My iLogin works fine, but I cannot set up the ODBC driver, I keep getting the message "[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch" I cannot leave it blank, under environment, and I cannot find any matching pairs. Can somebody help. XP client and Linux server This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0046812965257177_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" I am guessing that you are using 10.00.xC4 or the version where you have fix for 171156 IDS defect. Basically this bug fix will enforce the correct database locale setting from client (i.e. ODBC etc). If you supply the (default is en_US.1252) correct database locale(that is actually the database created with) in ODBC DSN(or your connection string) then your connection should go through. However in ODBC side as well we have the corresponding fix in place. Ask your customer support to get the patch of ODBC defects 175110 and 175746. These ODBC fixes will automatically take care of getting the correct database locale value for the given database (through DSN). Thanks & Regards -Shesh bobkot@gmail.com Sent by: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org 05/23/2006 05:58 PM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.T...

Moving Data from Informix SE 4 to Informix SE 7
I'm a programmer/analyst at a medical services company. At the core of our system is an Informix SE 4.x database - (c)1990, with all business software written in-house using Informix 4GL and FourGen (a CASE tool also from the early 90s). Everything runs from an RS/6000 server (AIX 4.x), accessed by the users using TELNET software on their Windows PCs (everything in text-mode only). Approx. 200 users scattered throughout 24 offices in several states are logged in at any given time. In January they finally decided to upgrade the old Informix database. The primary reason: to ge...

Informix 9.3 and AIX 5.3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C66A1F.48694F23 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable =20 Will Informix version 9.30.UC7 run on AIX 5.3? =20 =20 Thanks =20 =20 Ron C. Schwingel Dealer Information Systems rons@dis-corp.com <mailto:ronss@dis-corp.com>=20 (800) 426-8870 (Phone) (720) 921-0013 (Fax) =20 ------_=_NextPart_001_01C66A1F.48694F23 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" = xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" = xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"> <head> <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dus-ascii"> <meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium)"> <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Monotype Corsiva"; panose-1:3 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline;} span.EmailStyle17 {ms...

informix 9.3 to 9.4 issue
Hello, I'm having some serious issues with a production instance of Informix and I can't figure out why. I'd been running 9.30.UC7 for over a year solid, no complaints. Monday night, I installed 9.40.UC8 and its been awful. What am I missing? I've been tweaking ONCONFIG and I'm still not there. Today, the CPU is through the roof and Informix doesn't appear to using all the memory that I'm throwing at it. Hardware is a Dell PE 1950 running Linux RHE 4.0 mirrored drives & 4GB of RAM here is a partial ONCONFIG: ROOTNAME rootdbs # Root dbspace name ROOTPATH /informix/data/rootdbs # Path for device containing root dbspace ROOTOFFSET 0 # Offset of root dbspace into device (Kbytes) ROOTSIZE 32000 # Size of root dbspace (Kbytes) # Physical Log Configuration PHYSDBS physdbs # Location (dbspace) of physical log PHYSFILE 32000 # Physical log file size (Kbytes) # Logical Log Configuration LOGFILES 147 # Number of logical log files LOGSIZE 2000 # Logical log size (Kbytes) LOG_BACKUP_MODE CONT # Logical log backup mode (MANUAL, CONT) # System Configuration SERVERNUM 0 # Unique id corresponding to a OnLine instance DBSERVERNAME infx010_ot # Name of default database server DBSERVERALIASES infx010_os # List of alternate dbservernames NETTYPE # Configure poll thread(s) for nettype DEADLOCK_TIMEOUT 60 # Max time to wait of lock in distributed env. RESID...

South Africa Informix User Group
Folks, I am really excited to be presenting at the next South Africa Informix Us= er Group meeting on Thursday, 28th March 2013. Why Attend? * Get a up-close look at the capabilities that set Informix apart and und= erstand the latest about the new release of Informix from the Director of= Informix. * See how Informix reduces data center complexity and costs. * Learn how to leverage investments in 4GL on modern platforms such as th= e iPad, Blackberry, Web, Cloud, and others. * Learn how to performance tune Informix to accelerate warehouse queries = up to 100 times for faster decision-making from the very best in the busi= ness. * Catch up on the latest information governance best practices. * Speak with IBM executives and Informix product experts. * Network with other forward-thinking IT leaders, The President of the In= ternational Informix User Group (IIUG) and Informix User Group members. Agenda: 08h00 =96 09h00: Delegates Arrive and Register 09h00 =96 09h30: Welcome - Tony Abrahall, Sales Director, First Distribut= ion 09h30 =96 11h30: KEYNOTE: So What=92s NEW =96 Informix Roadmap and BIG DA= TA - Jerry Keesee, Worldwide Informix Director 11h30 =96 12h30: KEYNOTE: Genero - The Future of 4GL Neil O=92Meara - Fou= r J=92s Development Tools, Region Manager Northern Europe, Middle East, S= outhern Africa 12h30 =96 13h30: Lunch 13h30 - 14h00: The Advantage to LICENSE. MAINTAIN AND UPGRADE - Ravi Bhat= , Software Exec, IBM South Africa 14h00...

Re: Moving Data from Informix SE 4 to Informix SE 7
Man, Are you ready to some hell... I'm belive me I'm not trying to be pesimist but achieve what you explain in a weekend with the same hardware and trying to migrate from version 4 to 7, seems to me almost impossible. You better try to explain your stakeholders what could happen. I might help to acquiere some legal advice for a contract with the enterprise who is helping you. BTW, Actually I'm trying to be a programmer/analyst at a medical services company (when possible) and when we migrate Online 5 to 9.3 we have a lot of problems specially performance ...

Informix SchemaProvider for CodeSmith, Informix Database Provider for MS Enterprise Library
For those interested, I created a SchemaProvider for CodeSmith that uses = the Informix .NET Provider. Tested with IDS 9.4 and CSDK 2.9. Source = can be found here: http://community.codesmithtools.com/files/9/schemaproviders/entry12998.as= px CodeSmith is a great tool for generating .Net code. We're using it to = generate the middle layer objects for a .Net project here. I also have an Informix Database Provider for the Microsoft Enterprise = Library (June 2005 release). If anyone is interested, just let me know = and I'll send it your way (sbaker@moneymailer.com). Thanks, =A0 Sean. Sean Baker napisa�(a): > For those interested, I created a SchemaProvider for CodeSmith that uses the Informix .NET Provider. Tested with IDS 9.4 and CSDK 2.9. Source can be found here: > > http://community.codesmithtools.com/files/9/schemaproviders/entry12998.aspx > > CodeSmith is a great tool for generating .Net code. We're using it to generate the middle layer objects for a .Net project here. > > I also have an Informix Database Provider for the Microsoft Enterprise Library (June 2005 release). If anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll send it your way (sbaker@moneymailer.com). > > Thanks, > > Sean. I've also tried to create Informix Database Provider for Enterprise Library 2005. I've converted sample Northwind database to Informix and I've wrote the provider. Unfortunately...

Informix
About Informix --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informix Regards, Chavan Koya Someone needs to review the security as it appears to have been deleted by the time I got there:-)) Chavan Koya wrote: > > About Informix --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informix > > Regards, > Chavan Koya -- Paul Watson # Oninit Ltd # Growing old is mandatory Tel: +44 1436 672201 # Growing up is optional Fax: +44 1436 678693 # Mob: +44 7818 003457 # www.oninit.com # Paul Watson wrote: > Someone needs to ...

Informix
I'm trying to port an Informix application from SCO Unix 3.2.4.2 to OpenServer 6. Everything works except "sqlexecd", which aborts with a bad system call trying to open /dev/inet/tcp. The 3.2.4.2 Informix binaries are from Informix OnLine Version 5.0. Has anyone done this, or have any advice on how to proceed? -- Richard Seeder AApex Information Systems Richard, I believe there is an OSR5 compatibility bug in one of the ioctl calls made by sqlexecd. I think this affects all timod ioctls from OSR5, e.g., TI_GETINFO, TI_OPTMGMT, TI_BIND, etc. A bug has raised against ...

951: Incorrect password or user is not known on the database server in Informix 7.3
Hi. I recently booted the Informix IDS 7.31 server and after putting online the databases it appeared the message after acceding dbaccess: 951: Incorrect password or user informix is not known on the database server Any idea? Thanks. For more information on the log file I get: 19:20:33 listener-thread: err = -951: oserr = 13: errstr = informix: Incorrect password or user informix is not known on the database server. System error = 13. 19:20:33 Check for password aging/account lock-out. 19:20:33 Get Shadow Password for user [informix] failed! Massoroto wrote: ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3
Hi, - you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these utility commands. - using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately. You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions. See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info. - to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar. However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and be able to restore them successfully...

Washington Area Informix User Group - Informix Tech Day
Informix Tech Day Tuesday, November 9, 2010 Washington Area Informix User Group - Informix Tech Day - A FREE event for Informix Users * Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:00am to 5:00pm * Location: Crowne Plaza National Airport 1480 Crystal Drive Arlington, VA 22202 * (Near the Crystal City Metro) Save the day and join us for an exciting live demo and technical look under the covers of the newest and latest Informix technology . More information will be coming here soon! Details will be announce after the official release of the next version of Informix. Agenda: ...

Web resources about - Informix 7.3 to Informix 9.x - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.