Informix

About Informix -->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informix

Regards,
Chavan Koya
0
chavankoya189

Someone needs to review the security as it appears to have been
deleted by the time I got there:-))

--
Paul Watson             #
Oninit Ltd              # Growing old is mandatory
Paul Watson wrote:

> Someone needs to review the security as it appears to have been
> deleted by the time I got there:-))

It's back again now...

> Chavan Koya wrote:
>>About Informix -->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informix

Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com

Jonathan
4/17/2004 6:13:13 PM
chavankoya189@hotmail.com (Chavan Koya) wrote in message news:<ef72e276.0404160816.7d81a3d8@posting.google.com>...
> About Informix -->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informix
>
> Regards,
> Chavan Koya

Thanks for the link, Chavan, fascinating stuff.

It does miss quite a few salient points though:

- Roger Sippl founded his company while recovering from Hodgkins
Disease.

- 1997 was not the first time that the company had gone through a
"revenue restatement" controversy, with encumbent headcount carnage.

- The year that Oracle gained the most ground over Informix was 1987.
In 1986 their Unix revenues were neck-and-neck at $67m. In 1987
Informix grew their Unix revenue to just $68m, while Oracle shot past
the $200m mark. I don't believe Informix ever regained Unix market
share after that.

- Roger Sippl once stated that in the early days the company that
scared them most was not Oracle but Unify.

- Perhaps Informix's greatest product albatross was NewEra, a
disastrous 4gl/ Java hybrid which, had it worked properly, would have
brought their tools strategy into the 1990s. Touted as a simple 4gl
replacement, I never did manage to find an Informix consultant who
could show me what it put in place of an INPUT statement.

- Greatest name-dropping story potential lay in Wingz. The story goes
that Microsoft was so blown away by Wingz' Windows port that it
actually borrowed from Wingz for its groundbreaking Windows 3.0
release. In fact the rumour went that MS had to delay releasing 3.0
while it crammed more Wingz-based features in. Sadly Informix's dream
of fully integrating Hyperscript into its "From the Database to the
Desktop" strategy never really came about - perhaps in part because
the two technologies used the command "SELECT" in such profoundly
different ways.

- Some places were still using Smartware II a couple of years ago
(perhaps they still are).

- Whatever happened to FileIt! ?

Andy
0
andykent
4/19/2004 1:28:38 PM
Andy Kent wrote:

> chavankoya189@hotmail.com (Chavan Koya) wrote in message news:<ef72e276.0404160816.7d81a3d8@posting.google.com>...
>
>>About Informix -->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informix
>>
>>Regards,
>>Chavan Koya
>

> Thanks for the link, Chavan, fascinating stuff.

So, go and fix it - that's what a Wiki is about.  You can go and
improve it.  And anybody else who wants to do so can also help.

> It does miss quite a few salient points though:
>
> - Roger Sippl founded his company while recovering from Hodgkins
> Disease.
>
> - 1997 was not the first time that the company had gone through a
> "revenue restatement" controversy, with encumbent headcount carnage.
>
> - The year that Oracle gained the most ground over Informix was 1987.
> In 1986 their Unix revenues were neck-and-neck at $67m. In 1987
> Informix grew their Unix revenue to just $68m, while Oracle shot past
> the $200m mark. I don't believe Informix ever regained Unix market
> share after that.
>
> - Roger Sippl once stated that in the early days the company that
> scared them most was not Oracle but Unify.
>
> - Perhaps Informix's greatest product albatross was NewEra, a
> disastrous 4gl/ Java hybrid which, had it worked properly, would have
> brought their tools strategy into the 1990s. Touted as a simple 4gl
> replacement, I never did manage to find an Informix consultant who
> could show me what it put in place of an INPUT statement.
>
> - Greatest name-dropping story potential lay in Wingz. The story goes
> that Microsoft was so blown away by Wingz' Windows port that it
> actually borrowed from Wingz for its groundbreaking Windows 3.0
> release. In fact the rumour went that MS had to delay releasing 3.0
> while it crammed more Wingz-based features in. Sadly Informix's dream
> of fully integrating Hyperscript into its "From the Database to the
> Desktop" strategy never really came about - perhaps in part because
> the two technologies used the command "SELECT" in such profoundly
> different ways.
>
> - Some places were still using Smartware II a couple of years ago
> (perhaps they still are).
>
> - Whatever happened to FileIt! ?

File-It! (complete with exclamation point) was a 'single-table'
variant on Informix or Informix SQL.  It wasn't mentioned there, but
it probably wasn't the most important product Informix had.

Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com

Jonathan
4/19/2004 2:09:47 PM
Andy Kent wrote:

> - Perhaps Informix's greatest product albatross was NewEra, a
> disastrous 4gl/ Java hybrid which, had it worked properly, would have
> brought their tools strategy into the 1990s. Touted as a simple 4gl
> replacement, I never did manage to find an Informix consultant who
> could show me what it put in place of an INPUT statement.

I'll show ya!!!

0
Andrew
4/20/2004 12:15:09 AM
chavankoya189@hotmail.com (Chavan Koya) wrote:
>>> About Informix -->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informix

The Wiki page claims that Informix used Ingres as a code base.  I'm
pretty darned sure I've never seen any Ingres code in any of the
Informix products.  Would anyone be aware of such code in Informix?

I also thought that the first product from RDS was likely to be
C-ISAM, and that Marathon (which was, I thought, a code name for the
product that was later named Informix) was built on top of C-ISAM.

I see that the Informix Handbook site has a release date of 1984 for
I4GL too - that, I'm 99% sure, is two years early.  When I joined
Sphinx in the UK in June 1986, we just started with ISQL 2.00 and I4GL
1.00 (running under Zeus on Zilog Z8000 boxes, and later on a AT&T
3B2/400 - a mighty powerhouse of a machine), with ISQL 1.10 also
available as the prior version.  ISQL 2.00 was followed by ISQL 2.10
(I4GL 1.10) and then ISQL 2.10.03 (I4GL 1.10.03 - which introduced the
p-code system).  Turbo was also released about then.  One reason for
the version number .03 was to avoid renumbering the software as ISQL
3.x since that would have caused confusion with the pre-SQL version of
Informix 3.30, which was still too recent for comfort.  That was why
the unified version numbering jumped to version 4.00 - to avoid that
confusion.  (I note that ESQL/C for ISQL 2.x had a 3.x version number.)

Does anybody want to correct this version of history?

OK - calling a 3B2/400 a powerhouse is a little far-fetched, but the rest?

Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com

Jonathan
4/20/2004 5:20:13 AM
Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<hq2hc.1439$eZ5.681@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> The Wiki page claims that Informix used Ingres as a code base.  I'm
> pretty darned sure I've never seen any Ingres code in any of the
> Informix products.  Would anyone be aware of such code in Informix?

I'd never heard that either. Ingres's defining feature was its
cost-based optimiser, which Informix wasn't fearless enough to
implement until 4.0. And of course they pinched Stonebraker some years
later who became a driving force in Smart Blobs. But early code
plagiarisation I never heard of.

> I also thought that the first product from RDS was likely to be
> C-ISAM, and that Marathon (which was, I thought, a code name for the
> product that was later named Informix) was built on top of C-ISAM.

That was my understanding too.

> I see that the Informix Handbook site has a release date of 1984 for
> I4GL too - that, I'm 99% sure, is two years early.

Yes, I think so. I think wiki is wrong.
(Can you see why I'm nervous about editing this thing directly yet?)

> Turbo was also released about then.

Turbo was about 1987/ 8. I remember the first book you mentioned it in
:). It started its life as a Shared Memory Version initially on HP.
The early value for SHMBASE decoded to the initials of the guy who
wrote it (Ray Harrington??)

Andy
0
andykent
4/20/2004 12:18:14 PM
Couple thoughts on this subject.

Andy is partially correct - Turbo was released in 1987, just before I
joined Informix.  I know because at my previous position, the Informix
sales folks were pitching their new database engine, Turbo.  4GL was
already out at that time as well, though I believe it was still the
1.00 release.  I seem to recall 1985 as the beginning of 4gl. Pcode
came a few years later, maybe 1989 or so?  For what it is worth, a
fellow by the name of Chris Moloney was the chief architect of 4GL.

He's also in the ballpark on the "earlier version", and spot on with
regards to Roy, who was the chief architect of Turbo.  As a test to
see how using shared memory would impact performance, Roy cobbled
together a version of SE (which at the time was just "the engine" -
the moniker "SE" came later) that used shared memory, a buffer pool,
etc.  It was never meant to be a real product.  However, these were
the days of the benchmark wars, and some customer was doing something
where great benchmark results were critical (it could have well been
HP - I don't recall that particular detail), so the sales force
convinced R&D to cut them a copy of this "experimental" version of SE.
The performance improvement over the "standard" SE was significant
(and in point of fact, the *performance* improvement that Turbo added
to this was pretty marginal) and when AT&T, who were a major Informix
user at the time, got wind of it, they pretty much insisted that they
get a version to use in production.  The dirty little secret was that
it never went through QA, and had more than a fair share of problems -
remember, it was never meant to be a released product.  I can recall
major battles over EOL'ing it - support and R&D were adamant about it,
while AT&T were insistent that it be supported. What a fiasco.  Oh
yes, and the base shared memory key was the hex value 0x525648
(with the SERVERNUM value tacked on the end) which are the ascii codes
for RVH, Roy V. Harrington, father of Informix-Turbo ;-)  Hey, if you
need to come up with a key, why NOT use your initials?  Haven't played
with the newer versions - is that still the base key?

As far as ingres code goes, I was surprised when I read that too, but
then I got to thinking.  The INFORMER query language that was part of
Informix 3.3 (and Informix was the product name back then - the
company was RDS - Relational Database Systems.) and it was definitely
QUEL-based, QUEL being the language used by Ingres back then.
Informix SQL, or ISQL, made the switch to SQL along with moving to a
client/server model (in Informix 3.3, the application accessed the
data files directly.)  So it could very well be that the INFORMER
piece was built using open source ingres code.  It would have been the
easy way to go.

I also would not say that Informix "pinched" Dr. Stonebraker.  He came
along with the acquisition of Illustra.  That also ultimately cost us
the chief architect of the multithreaded version of the engine, Gary
(who's last name I can't for the life of me remember now).  While I
have great respect for Dr. Stonebraker's achievements, his
contribution to the Informix engine were utimately of little economic
value (how many customers even today are *really* leveraging
datablades?) in comparison with the performance and robustness that
the rewrite between version 5 and 6 brought to the table.  And in
fact, server extensions along the line of datablades were already in
the planning stage before Informix acquired Illustra.  But because the
had the object/extensibility stuff in place already, I guess they felt
it would be quicker to integrate that.  Nobody seemed to notice that
the Illustra base engine was a nightmare.  It looked like it was
cobbled together by grad students.  But the Illustra engineers did
make important improvements to the Informix engine, like changing
SYSINDEXES to SYSINDICES ;-)

Ramble on.....

Dave

On 20 Apr 2004 05:18:14 -0700, andykent.bristol1095@virgin.net (Andy
Kent) wrote:

>Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<hq2hc.1439$eZ5.681@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
>>
>> The Wiki page claims that Informix used Ingres as a code base.  I'm
>> pretty darned sure I've never seen any Ingres code in any of the
>> Informix products.  Would anyone be aware of such code in Informix?
>
>I'd never heard that either. Ingres's defining feature was its
>cost-based optimiser, which Informix wasn't fearless enough to
>implement until 4.0. And of course they pinched Stonebraker some years
>later who became a driving force in Smart Blobs. But early code
>plagiarisation I never heard of.
>
>> I also thought that the first product from RDS was likely to be
>> C-ISAM, and that Marathon (which was, I thought, a code name for the
>> product that was later named Informix) was built on top of C-ISAM.
>
>That was my understanding too.
>
>> I see that the Informix Handbook site has a release date of 1984 for
>> I4GL too - that, I'm 99% sure, is two years early.
>
>Yes, I think so. I think wiki is wrong.
>(Can you see why I'm nervous about editing this thing directly yet?)
>
>> Turbo was also released about then.
>
>Turbo was about 1987/ 8. I remember the first book you mentioned it in
>:). It started its life as a Shared Memory Version initially on HP.
>The early value for SHMBASE decoded to the initials of the guy who
>wrote it (Ray Harrington??)
>

>Andy

0
Dave
4/20/2004 3:56:38 PM
Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthlink.net> writes:
> The Wiki page claims that Informix used Ingres as a code base.  I'm
> pretty darned sure I've never seen any Ingres code in any of the
> Informix products.  Would anyone be aware of such code in Informix?

Didn't Informix purchase Illustra in the mid-90's?  IIRC, Illustra was
the commercial version of Postgres, an object relational DB.

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>      Phone: (760) 499-9142

"Ronald Cole" <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote in message news:m3y8oqz27i.fsf@yakisoba.forte-intl.com...
> Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthlink.net> writes:
> > The Wiki page claims that Informix used Ingres as a code base.  I'm
> > pretty darned sure I've never seen any Ingres code in any of the
> > Informix products.  Would anyone be aware of such code in Informix?
>
> Didn't Informix purchase Illustra in the mid-90's?  IIRC, Illustra was
> the commercial version of Postgres, an object relational DB.
>
> --
> Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
> Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>      Phone: (760) 499-9142
> President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
> My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

0
Data
4/21/2004 1:14:28 AM
Dave Kosenko wrote:

> Gary
> (who's last name I can't for the life of me remember now).

Kelley

0
Mark
4/21/2004 2:25:31 AM
In article <hq2hc.1439$eZ5.681@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
 Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The Wiki page claims that Informix used Ingres as a code base.  I'm
> pretty darned sure I've never seen any Ingres code in any of the
> Informix products.  Would anyone be aware of such code in Informix?

I dunno, but if there was any Ingres code in Informix, it would have
been from "University Ingres" -- ie the original code base from version
2.x or something.  RTI completely rewrote the Ingres server code
back in the late 80's for Ingres version 6.  Whatever Ingres code
there may have been in Informix most certainly has no resemblance
to what Ingres looks like internally today.

Karl
0
Karl

[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch
I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My iLogin works fine, but I cannot set up the ODBC driver, I keep getting the message "[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch" I cannot leave it blank, under environment, and I cannot find any matching pairs. Can somebody help. XP client and Linux server This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0046812965257177_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" I am guessing that you are using 10.00.xC4 or the version where you have fix for 171156 IDS defect. Basically this bug fix will enforce the correct database locale setting from client (i.e. ODBC etc). If you supply the (default is en_US.1252) correct database locale(that is actually the database created with) in ODBC DSN(or your connection string) then your connection should go through. However in ODBC side as well we have the corresponding fix in place. Ask your customer support to get the patch of ODBC defects 175110 and 175746. These ODBC fixes will automatically take care of getting the correct database locale value for the given database (through DSN). Thanks & Regards -Shesh bobkot@gmail.com Sent by: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org 05/23/2006 05:58 PM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.T...

Informix SchemaProvider for CodeSmith, Informix Database Provider for MS Enterprise Library
For those interested, I created a SchemaProvider for CodeSmith that uses = the Informix .NET Provider. Tested with IDS 9.4 and CSDK 2.9. Source = can be found here: http://community.codesmithtools.com/files/9/schemaproviders/entry12998.as= px CodeSmith is a great tool for generating .Net code. We're using it to = generate the middle layer objects for a .Net project here. I also have an Informix Database Provider for the Microsoft Enterprise = Library (June 2005 release). If anyone is interested, just let me know = and I'll send it your way (sbaker@moneymailer.com). Thanks, =A0 Sean. Sean Baker napisa�(a): > For those interested, I created a SchemaProvider for CodeSmith that uses the Informix .NET Provider. Tested with IDS 9.4 and CSDK 2.9. Source can be found here: > > http://community.codesmithtools.com/files/9/schemaproviders/entry12998.aspx > > CodeSmith is a great tool for generating .Net code. We're using it to generate the middle layer objects for a .Net project here. > > I also have an Informix Database Provider for the Microsoft Enterprise Library (June 2005 release). If anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll send it your way (sbaker@moneymailer.com). > > Thanks, > > Sean. I've also tried to create Informix Database Provider for Enterprise Library 2005. I've converted sample Northwind database to Informix and I've wrote the provider. Unfortunately...

Informix Training for New Informix Database Administrators
Folks, Art Kagel and I will be teaching our Informix Training course for New Informix Database Administrators, March 5-8, 2012. Attend the class in person or online via our Web Training Center. This course is for database administrators, programmers, and technical support personnel who will be setting up, managing, and tuning Informix 11 or 10 databases. Course Outline: http://www.advancedatatools.com/Training/OutlineInformixIDSforDBAs.html Course Schedule and Registration: http://www.advancedatatools.com/Training/InformixTraining.html Participant Quote: "I recently had the opportunity to attend (remotely via WebEx) a training course with Lester Knutsen for Informix. This was one of the best investments that we have spent on learning tips to tune and monitor a system. The course was very informative and enlightening. At first I was skeptical of attending a training session remotely but in the long run it was definitely the best way to have been trained. We were able to immediately make checks, changes, and adjustments to our current infrastructure as the course was being taught. Thanks for all your support and help!" Eric Urff, Director Information Technology Please let me know if you have any questions or need more information. Regards - Lester -- ______________________________________________________________________ Lester Knutsen lester@advancedatatools.com Advanced DataTools Corporation Voice: 703-2...

Error executing remote system command on an AIX Informix database from an NT Informix Server
Dear All, I realise there are many queries and answers already posted on a similar topic, but none seem to be able to get this working. I have two informix servers, one on Windows NT and one on AIX 4.3. Informix NT (7.31) Informix AIX (7.xx) I have a stored procedure on the unix box with a system command SYSTEM '/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env > /tmp/mylog' I have set up the trust, so that I can connect to the AIX instance as informix from the NT server. I connect from the NT server to the AIX instance as informix and execute the procedure. I get the following error - 668 Command cannot be executed 127 No Primary Key I think that the 127 error number is from the shell execution. The /tmp/mylog file is created but with no values. Even if I replace it with an echo hello command I get an empty file. Having read one of Jonathan Leffler's responses, the SHELL environment variables needs to be set to the the Shell of the remote system. In my case that is 'set SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh' . I did this and it still didn't work. Am I missing further environment variables as I am executing the procedure from NT. Has anyone managed to do this? Many thanks in advance, Nick Have you tryed it on aix itself?? does that work?? try: SYSTEM "(/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env 2>&1) > /tmp/nonexistingfile"; -- check what is in nonexistingfile or SYSTEM "(/usr/bin/ksh ...

[OdbcException: ERROR [HY000] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Transaction not available.]
I 've connected to informix database. i want to begin an odbc transaction in my C# code. then the error occured. ERROR [HY000] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Transaction not available. pls help me, How can i solve this problem? is it needed to especial setting in the informix db? thanks alot, for the problem, i set the informix : no log--> log and the problem 's solved. Mahta On 31 Dec 2006 23:05:58 -0800, Mahta <mahbahj@gmail.com> wrote: > I 've connected to informix database. i want to begin an odbc > transaction in my C# code. then the error occured. > > ERROR [HY000] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Transaction not > available. > > pls help me, How can i solve this problem? > is it needed to especial setting in the informix db? Informix databases can be created with support for transactions - not recommended, but possible. It appears that your database is one such - so any operations that use transactions are going to fail like that. Fix - don't use transactions in C#, or add transactions to the database. For the latter, read the manuals (ontape, onbar). -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2005.02 -- http://dbi.perl.org/ ...

Informix Informix :: Rumors and other tales
Rumor has it that the latest upcoming download of IDS at the IIUG website will not have a timebomb... very cool. This is something that IIUG President Stuart Litel has apparently pulled off for all the versions..."They are a 5 process limit and will be available for Linux, Windows, AIX, SUN and HP (Itanium 64 bit)" ... ( I don't know any more than that don't ask me... :-) No - this is something that Carolyn Woods pulled off when she was the IBM Liason to the IIUG, and then Christine Normile continued when she was product manager. They both were vetoed by the President of the IIUG himself. Carolyn finally gave up (I've known Carolyn since the beginning of time - she doesn't "give up" on anything). He didn't want users to have to fill out a form to get the download - we'll see if that has to happen or not when 10.5 comes out. DE - you should run for President of the IIUG this year...you have knack for stating rumor as fact ("...something that SL pulled off apparently...."). Too bad someone from the current board that knows all the details of these "events" doesn't speak up - the story is pretty clear and simple. Mark Scranton Informix 1995-2006 Double Echo wrote: > Rumor has it that the latest upcoming download of IDS at the IIUG website will not have a timebomb... very cool. This is something that IIUG President Stuart Litel has apparently pulled off for all the versions......

Do I have to have an Informix Database?
I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! Bruce Truter wrote: > I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl > compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means > I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay w...

informix database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C38F0C.28FAA400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I use win32com.client to create ADODB.Connection and ADODB.Recordset: win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Connection') win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Recordset') I can connect to an access database and I can update it, but if I change = the connection string to connect to Informix database, its values no = refresh. Do you know any bug using Python and Informix database? Thanks. ------=...

Informix Training for Informix Users
Hello, Free Webcast - Database Driven Websites - Using PHP with Informix by Thomas Beebe, Advanced DataTools Corporation You are invited to attend our next Webcast on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time What do Wikipedia, Facebook, Wordpress, and Yahoo all have in common? They all run on PHP. PHP is an open source server-side scripting language designed for Web development to produce dynamic Web pages. And it works great with the fastest database, Informix. In this talk we will be discussing how quick and easy it is get going in PHP and how to set up PHP to talk to Informix using the PDO driver library. You can easily use PHP to select, insert, update and delete data from an Informix database to create a database driven web site. To Register - http://www.advancedatatools.com/Informix/NextWebcast.html Informix Training at Advanced DataTools Our 2013 Informix Training Schedule is online. We have classes for new Informix DBA's or advanced Informix DBA's. Attend a advanced class taught by Lester Knutsen and Art Kagal. Register early as our classes filled up last year. March 11-14, 2013 - Informix for Database Administrators. This course is for database administrators, programmers, and technical support personnel who will be setting up, managing, and tuning IBM Informix 11, 10, or 7 databases. July 15-18, 2013 - Advanced Informix Performance Tuning. This course is for database administrators and application developers who ...

ANNOUNCE: DBD::Informix
IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01 (2005-03-14) has been uploaded to CPAN. IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl (also known as DBD::Informix) is the driver code that enables Perl 5.6.1 or later to access Informix databases via the DBI module (but if you are not already using Perl 5.8.5, you should be planning to upgrade to it). You will need the code for DBI version 1.38 or later as well (v1.48 recommended). The code for DBD::Informix is available for download via: http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-category/07_Database_Interfaces http://dbi.perl.org/ ** When you...

Washington Area Informix User Group - Informix Tech Day
Informix Tech Day Tuesday, November 9, 2010 Washington Area Informix User Group - Informix Tech Day - A FREE event for Informix Users * Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:00am to 5:00pm * Location: Crowne Plaza National Airport 1480 Crystal Drive Arlington, VA 22202 * (Near the Crystal City Metro) Save the day and join us for an exciting live demo and technical look under the covers of the newest and latest Informix technology . More information will be coming here soon! Details will be announce after the official release of the next version of Informix. Agenda: ...

Informix User Forum 2006 - 2 day Informix Technical Conference for Users by Informix Users
A two-day Informix User Group Technical Conference - Friday and Saturday, December 8-9, 2006 The Washington Area Informix User Group (WAIUG) based in Washington, DC, and the Southeast Informix Users Group (SEIUG), based in Atlanta, GA, are teaming up once again to present Informix User Forum 2006. This will be the premiere Informix regional user group technical conference in the world. This is a user conference planned and run by Informix users for Informix users. I have been putting together the Washington Area Informix Users Group Forums since 1994 and last year's was the best event we have done to date. We had over 170 participants from 8 countries and 30 states in the US. There were 14 sponsors with products for the Informix user community. There were 32 technical presentations, by speakers who are Informix developers from IBM and DBA users from around the world. The message was very clear from IBM that Informix is a critical product and will continue to have a great future. The message from the users attending was also very clear, no other product does the job of Informix and we are loyal to what works. To view the results and presentations for last year's forum visit: http://www.iiug.org/waiug/present/Forum2005/Forum2005.html This years Forum looks to be even better then last year. We are very please to announce our Keynote Speakers --------------------------------------------------- * Friday, 8:00am December 8, 2006 � Ambuj Goyal, General M...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

Informix Upgrade Optons for an ancient Informix system
Ok, So I stumbled onto some Informix work! yay! I got a call for help from someone who owns a rather ancient system: SunOS 5.7 Generic_106541-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10 Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.30.UC7A But it's not just any ancient system, it's been hacked...it's a Sun box that has been rootkit'd. They did a good job of hosing up the system, but Informix is still running. Unfortunately I can't use ps -ef to even see what is running, they hosed up most of the commands necessary to monitor the system. This is an ancient system, most of the work was done in the early 1990's, and the system has been on autopilot for these past 15 years for the most part until this past week or so, when things started breaking. I discovered the rootkit by looking at the history list of the last root login, when I couldn't run ps. It appears to be a hit-n-run, they found nothing, and left the system basically unusable. The system is so unusable it will be better to reformat the hard drives and reinstall the OS. But whoever installed Informix did a good job setting it up. Reminds me of a long time ago... Anyway...the client has a plethora of 4GL programs, and using RDS, not compiled. Much of the code looks like it was generated, and modified slightly, all lower-case. It's an accounting application, but not 4Gen ( thank god ). They have indicated that they would be agreeable to moving to a Linux machine, if we can...

Down Informix -
HP-UX 11.11 Informix 7.31 FD 8 =========================================================== The instance informix key and occurred the following message of error: 10:44:05 Assert Failed: No Exception Handler 10:44:05 Who: Session(11289017, unique01@c0a8646f, 1388, -609530840) Thread(12620565, xchg_1.0, c0000000cf6f4bb8, 1) File: mtex.c Line: 471 10:44:05 Results: Exception Caught. Type: MT_EX_OS, Context: mem 10:44:05 Action: Please notify IBM Informix Technical Support. 10:44:05 Stack for thread: 12620565 xchg_1.0 some reference with respect to the CAUSE of this fall. thank you very much Juan Pablo wrote: > > HP-UX 11.11 > Informix 7.31 FD 8 > =========================================================== > The instance informix key and occurred the following message of error: > > 10:44:05 Assert Failed: No Exception Handler > 10:44:05 Who: Session(11289017, unique01@c0a8646f, 1388, -609530840) > Thread(12620565, xchg_1.0, c0000000cf6f4bb8, 1) > File: mtex.c Line: 471 > 10:44:05 Results: Exception Caught. Type: MT_EX_OS, Context: mem > 10:44:05 Action: Please notify IBM Informix Technical Support. > 10:44:05 Stack for thread: 12620565 xchg_1.0 > Does this line give you a clue as to what to do? 10:44:05 Action: Please notify IBM Informix Technical Support. Clive Eisen said: > Does this line give you a cl...

What is Informix?
I'm writing a history of Informix and description of its product sets today for my website. A draft is at homepage.ntlworld.com/neil.truby. If anyone would care to review and comment, or add some text, I'd be very appreciative. thanks Neil Neil Truby wrote: > I'm writing a history of Informix and description of its product sets today > for my website. A draft is at homepage.ntlworld.com/neil.truby. If anyone > would care to review and comment, or add some text, I'd be very > appreciative. > > thanks > Neil > > Well not t...

Informix 7.3 to Informix 9.x
I have an Informix question that I hope someone can give some input on=2E W= e=0D=0Aare currently running Informix 7=2E3 on HPUX 10=2E20=2E We're planni= ng to=0D=0Aupgrade HP to 11i and want to move ahead in upgrading Informix t= o 9=2Ex=2E=0D=0AWe've had the 9=2E2 and 9=2E3 versions of Informix for a fe= w years now but=0D=0Awas never able to get around to moving forward with an= upgrade=2E My hope=0D=0Ais that you can answer these questions based on yo= ur experience and what=0D=0Ayou know to be true:=0D=0A=0D=0A1=2E Is Inform= ix 7=2E3 compatible on HPUX 11i?=0D=0A2=2E Which version of Informix 9=2Ex= the best one with the least bugs? Is 9=2Ex=0D=0Acompatible on HPUX 11i?=0D= =0A3=2E In the 9=2Ex version, which version of the supporting components (= ESQL,=0D=0ASQL, 4GL, etc=2E) should be used with the 9=2Ex version?=0D=0A4= =2E Any pros and cons?=0D=0A =0D=0AHas anyone been where we're trying to g= et?=0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A=0D=0A-----------------------------------------=0D= =0AThis message and any attachments may contain confidential=0D=0Ainformati= on or trade secrets of SMI=2E SMI will take legal action=0D=0Aagainst any = person who improperly uses or discloses SMI's=0D=0Aconfidential information= or trade secrets=2E If you have received=0D=0Athis message in error, plea= se notify the sender immediately and=0D=0Adelete and destroy this message a= nd its attachments=2E=0D=0A >> 1. Is Informix 7.3 compatible on HPUX 11i? ...

FW: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Sql Server, Postgres and Mysql are also supported, at least by 4js. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of malcolm weallans Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 4:53 AM To: 'Bruce Truter'; informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database? Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visi...

PHP with Informix database
Hi, I'm completely new in PHP. We now use Informix databases. Is there a way to get information out of these databases? Where can I find more information? thanks, Danny Danny De Koster wrote: > Hi, > > I'm completely new in PHP. We now use Informix databases. Is > there a way to get information out of these databases? > > Where can I find more information? > > thanks, > Danny goto www.php.net and search for Informix on the whole site. You will find several references to using Informix with PHP. -- Jerry Gitomer ...

space on informix database
I am having some problems with the dimension of an Informix database and, as I�m pretty new to this environment, I would appreciate any help. some information: informix online 7.1 on Unix 5.0.4 Sco Open Server Informix database on /dev/dbditte htfs filesystem Now, the space on dbditte filesystem is becoming low and I need to increment the space. How can I do? have I to create a new partition and after copy the complete database into the new partition? how? or have I to increment the space of the old file? Thanks in advance. Marco Dell'Oca > informix online 7.1 > on Unix 5.0.4 Sco Open Server > Informix database on /dev/dbditte htfs filesystem Please, send some more information. At least, the results of onstat -d and df -k for your OpenServer etc. You may have to add new chunk to some dbspace(s), it is easy if you have root permissions, but we here can not guess anything for sure without the information. Best regards, V.K. Thanks Valeriy > Please, send some more information. > > At least, the results of onstat -d and df -k for your OpenServer etc. > df -v Mount Dir Filesystem blocks used free %used / /dev/root 1200000 868506 331494 73% /stand /dev/boot 40000 18918 21082 48% /alex /dev/alex 4000002 2019426 1980576 51% onstat -d INFORMIX-OnLine Version 7.12.UC2 ...

Web resources about - Informix - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.