Is DBD::Informix tied to database version?

Hi - I would like to upgrade our database from 9.21 HC5 to 9.40.FC4,
but have Perl applications reading from the database using
DBD::Informix.

Does anyone know if the DBD interface is tied to the specific version
of Informix?

I have been trying to recompile the latest perl/DBI/DBD but so far have
not had any luck - since the current DBD is working fine with 9.21, I
would like to just upgrade to 9.40.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Daniel

0
caver

caver wrote:
> Hi - I would like to upgrade our database from 9.21 HC5 to 9.40.FC4,
> but have Perl applications reading from the database using
> DBD::Informix.
>
> Does anyone know if the DBD interface is tied to the specific version
> of Informix?
>
> I have been trying to recompile the latest perl/DBI/DBD but so far have
> not had any luck - since the current DBD is working fine with 9.21, I
> would like to just upgrade to 9.40.

No, DBD::Informix is not tied to a particular server version.  I use my
installed version of DBD::Informix (2005.01), built with CSDK 2.81.UCx,
with IDS 10.00.UC3, 9.40.UC5, 9.30.UC1, 9.21.UCx (very seldom these
days; about once this year), 7.31.UD7 - all with no trouble whatsoever.

DBD::Informix is much more nearly tied to a particular version of CSDK.
  Specifically, unless you compiled the module with the environment
variable DBD_INFORMIX_RELOCATABLE_INFORMIXDIR set, it will have built
the absolute pathnames of the ESQL/C libraries into the shared library.
If you had the env var set, then you can aim it at different locations.
As long as the location contains compatible versions of CSDK - for some
appropriate definition of compatible - you will be fine.  When it
doesn't all hell will break loose (if you're lucky - if you're unlucky,
it will fail marginally some of the time).

So, as long as you leave the CSDK that DBD::Informix was built with
alone, you should be fine.  If you try to upgrade CSDK in situ, you
might or might not be OK; I wouldn't risk it, but I don't usually have
problems building DBD::Informix.  That said, other people do sometimes
have problems, despite everything.

You appear to be using an HP machine?  What is the problem that you are
having?  Did you build a 64-bit Perl, or obtain one?  Without that, you
won't be able to use the 64-bit CSDK that normally goes with IDS
9.40.FCx.  Did you report the problem to the documented channels
(meaning me - via dbd.informix@gmail.com)?  Which version of Perl are
you using?  DBI?  DBD::Informix?  CSDK or ESQL/C - for the old and the
new versions of IDS?

Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com
Jonathan

ANNOUNCE: DBD::Informix
IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01 (2005-03-14) has been uploaded to CPAN. IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl (also known as DBD::Informix) is the driver code that enables Perl 5.6.1 or later to access Informix databases via the DBI module (but if you are not already using Perl 5.8.5, you should be planning to upgrade to it). You will need the code for DBI version 1.38 or later as well (v1.48 recommended). The code for DBD::Informix is available for download via: http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-category/07_Database_Interfaces http://dbi.perl.org/ ** When you...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Do I have to have an Informix Database?
I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! Bruce Truter wrote: > I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl > compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means > I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay w...

informix database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C38F0C.28FAA400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I use win32com.client to create ADODB.Connection and ADODB.Recordset: win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Connection') win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.Recordset') I can connect to an access database and I can update it, but if I change = the connection string to connect to Informix database, its values no = refresh. Do you know any bug using Python and Informix database? Thanks. ------=...

[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch
I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My iLogin works fine, but I cannot set up the ODBC driver, I keep getting the message "[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch" I cannot leave it blank, under environment, and I cannot find any matching pairs. Can somebody help. XP client and Linux server This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0046812965257177_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" I am guessing that you are using 10.00.xC4 or the version where you have fix for 171156 IDS defect. Basically this bug fix will enforce the correct database locale setting from client (i.e. ODBC etc). If you supply the (default is en_US.1252) correct database locale(that is actually the database created with) in ODBC DSN(or your connection string) then your connection should go through. However in ODBC side as well we have the corresponding fix in place. Ask your customer support to get the patch of ODBC defects 175110 and 175746. These ODBC fixes will automatically take care of getting the correct database locale value for the given database (through DSN). Thanks & Regards -Shesh bobkot@gmail.com Sent by: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org 05/23/2006 05:58 PM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.T...

Informix SchemaProvider for CodeSmith, Informix Database Provider for MS Enterprise Library
For those interested, I created a SchemaProvider for CodeSmith that uses = the Informix .NET Provider. Tested with IDS 9.4 and CSDK 2.9. Source = can be found here: http://community.codesmithtools.com/files/9/schemaproviders/entry12998.as= px CodeSmith is a great tool for generating .Net code. We're using it to = generate the middle layer objects for a .Net project here. I also have an Informix Database Provider for the Microsoft Enterprise = Library (June 2005 release). If anyone is interested, just let me know = and I'll send it your way (sbaker@moneymailer.com). Thanks, =A0 Sean. Sean Baker napisa�(a): > For those interested, I created a SchemaProvider for CodeSmith that uses the Informix .NET Provider. Tested with IDS 9.4 and CSDK 2.9. Source can be found here: > > http://community.codesmithtools.com/files/9/schemaproviders/entry12998.aspx > > CodeSmith is a great tool for generating .Net code. We're using it to generate the middle layer objects for a .Net project here. > > I also have an Informix Database Provider for the Microsoft Enterprise Library (June 2005 release). If anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll send it your way (sbaker@moneymailer.com). > > Thanks, > > Sean. I've also tried to create Informix Database Provider for Enterprise Library 2005. I've converted sample Northwind database to Informix and I've wrote the provider. Unfortunately...

Informix Training for New Informix Database Administrators
Folks, Art Kagel and I will be teaching our Informix Training course for New Informix Database Administrators, March 5-8, 2012. Attend the class in person or online via our Web Training Center. This course is for database administrators, programmers, and technical support personnel who will be setting up, managing, and tuning Informix 11 or 10 databases. Course Outline: http://www.advancedatatools.com/Training/OutlineInformixIDSforDBAs.html Course Schedule and Registration: http://www.advancedatatools.com/Training/InformixTraining.html Participant Quote: "I recently had the opportunity to attend (remotely via WebEx) a training course with Lester Knutsen for Informix. This was one of the best investments that we have spent on learning tips to tune and monitor a system. The course was very informative and enlightening. At first I was skeptical of attending a training session remotely but in the long run it was definitely the best way to have been trained. We were able to immediately make checks, changes, and adjustments to our current infrastructure as the course was being taught. Thanks for all your support and help!" Eric Urff, Director Information Technology Please let me know if you have any questions or need more information. Regards - Lester -- ______________________________________________________________________ Lester Knutsen lester@advancedatatools.com Advanced DataTools Corporation Voice: 703-2...

Database version for RMAN,Database version target etc..........
Hi , I would like to get the following information: RMAN version Information, Database Version for RMAN, RMAN catalog, Database Version target Machine, SQL Net Tracing. Could some one suggest which SQL I can use in order to get all the above information? Thanks David On 27 Feb 2004 22:22:04 -0800, david_nat2000@yahoo.com (David) wrote: >Hi , > >I would like to get the following information: >RMAN version Information, Database Version for RMAN, RMAN catalog, >Database Version target Machine, SQL Net Tracing. >Could some one suggest which SQL I can use in order to get all ...

Error executing remote system command on an AIX Informix database from an NT Informix Server
Dear All, I realise there are many queries and answers already posted on a similar topic, but none seem to be able to get this working. I have two informix servers, one on Windows NT and one on AIX 4.3. Informix NT (7.31) Informix AIX (7.xx) I have a stored procedure on the unix box with a system command SYSTEM '/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env > /tmp/mylog' I have set up the trust, so that I can connect to the AIX instance as informix from the NT server. I connect from the NT server to the AIX instance as informix and execute the procedure. I get the followin...

Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
Hi everybody, I have Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.30.UC11 on Red Hat Linux 9 perl v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi DBI 1.42 DBD Informix 2003.04 After installing perl's DBI and DBD Modules for Informix I finally get a script to connect and disconnect to the database . But after running the script several times (that only connects and disconnects to the database ) , the server hangs and it does not let to connect to any database with the message : 25588: The appl process cannot connect to the database server Restarting the server fix the problem but I can not...

Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
I found a solution, It worked well with tcp connections, Looks like perl's Informix DBD Module doesn't like shared memory connections,at least with my versions. But I can live with tcp connections. Thanks anyway. I have other question , Does anybody knows how to actually get the number of rows returned/affected in a query with perl ? I tried with : $nrows=$sth->rows(); always returned 0. $nrows = $sth->{ix_sqlerrd}[2] always returned 0 too. Any ideas ? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralag...

Web resources about - Is DBD::Informix tied to database version? - comp.databases.informix