Migrate data from raw device to cooked file

Hi.

Solaris 2.6
IDS 7.31.

Company purchased new storage device and are going to move data to
that base. "Old" system use raw devices, "new" will be on files. IDS
is configured to use links to raw devices, so admin is going to
rearange links after data is moved.

They use onbar with SQL Backtrack, so one way of moving data would be
to make backup, then restore data on new system.

Only thing which worries me, is how good will backups work, if data is
taken from raw devices, and put to files, any information about that?
Also, can we try to dd data from raw devices to files and then
rearrange links for IDS (would be faster than backup)? Any other ideas
about possible problems with such migration process?

Thanks for feedback!

Andris
0
andris_sh

Why convert from raw to cooked storage?  Your performance is going to
suffer.

"Andris" <andris_sh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> Solaris 2.6
> IDS 7.31.
>
> Company purchased new storage device and are going to move data to
> that base. "Old" system use raw devices, "new" will be on files. IDS
> is configured to use links to raw devices, so admin is going to
> rearange links after data is moved.
>
> They use onbar with SQL Backtrack, so one way of moving data would be
> to make backup, then restore data on new system.
>
> Only thing which worries me, is how good will backups work, if data is
> taken from raw devices, and put to files, any information about that?
> Also, can we try to dd data from raw devices to files and then
> rearrange links for IDS (would be faster than backup)? Any other ideas
> about possible problems with such migration process?
>
> Thanks for feedback!
>
> Andris

0
Jay
4/26/2004 2:25:33 PM
> Andris" <andris_sh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> Solaris 2.6
> IDS 7.31.
>
> Company purchased new storage device and are going to move data to
> that base. "Old" system use raw devices, "new" will be on files. IDS
> is configured to use links to raw devices, so admin is going to
> rearange links after data is moved.
>
> They use onbar with SQL Backtrack, so one way of moving data would be
> to make backup, then restore data on new system.

Yes. Informix mirroring is a very efficient way of achieving the same thing
with minimal downtime.

> Only thing which worries me, is how good will backups work, if data is
> taken from raw devices, and put to files, any information about that?

A corollary of the fact that you can use Informix mirroring is that the
dbspace chunks themselves contain no information about the actual physical
location (whehn used with soft links) or topology of the disks.

> Also, can we try to dd data from raw devices to files and then
> rearrange links for IDS (would be faster than backup)? Any other ideas
> about possible problems with such migration process?

Yes, you could do that too.  But, as I say, mirroring is the way to go.

0
Neil
4/26/2004 3:42:41 PM
Well, to answer your question, try:

1. Backup
2. Down the instance
3. Redefine the chunks from raw to cooked
4. Restore

That said, why not user Veritas or Legato? They can backup raw or
cooked chunks, and restore either to the other (cooked --> raw and raw
--> cooked). Why does SQL Backtrack requires cooked chunks?

Brice Avila
Minneapolis, Minnesota

andris_sh@yahoo.com (Andris) wrote in message news:<e3ae8cc2.0404260618.74ebc1e6@posting.google.com>...
> Hi.
>
> Solaris 2.6
> IDS 7.31.
>
> Company purchased new storage device and are going to move data to
> that base. "Old" system use raw devices, "new" will be on files. IDS
> is configured to use links to raw devices, so admin is going to
> rearange links after data is moved.
>
> They use onbar with SQL Backtrack, so one way of moving data would be
> to make backup, then restore data on new system.
>
> Only thing which worries me, is how good will backups work, if data is
> taken from raw devices, and put to files, any information about that?
> Also, can we try to dd data from raw devices to files and then
> rearrange links for IDS (would be faster than backup)? Any other ideas
> about possible problems with such migration process?
>
> Thanks for feedback!
>
> Andris
0
briceavila

RE: Migrate data from raw device to cooked file
Or: 1. Bring the server down 2. Copy old raw-device chunks to new file-based using 'dd ...' 3. Switch chunk links 4. Bring the server up ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin > From: briceavila@hotmail.com [mailto:briceavila@hotmail.com] > > Well, to answer your question, try: > > 1. Backup > 2. Down the instance > 3. Redefine the chunks from raw to cooked > 4. Restore > > That said, why not user Veritas or Legato? They can backup raw or > cooked chunks, and restore either to the other (cooked --> raw and raw > --> cooked). Why does SQL Backtrack requires cooked chunks? > > Brice Avila > Minneapolis, Minnesota > > andris_sh@yahoo.com (Andris) wrote in message > news:<e3ae8cc2.0404260618.74ebc1e6@posting.google.com>... > > Hi. > > > > Solaris 2.6 > > IDS 7.31. > > > > Company purchased new storage device and are going to move data to > > that base. "Old" system use raw devices, "new" will be on files. IDS > > is configured to use links to raw devices, so admin is going to > > rearange links after data is moved. > > > > They use onbar with SQL Backtrack, so one way of moving data would be > > to make backup, then restore data on new system. > > > > Only thing which worries me, is how good will backups work, if data is > > taken...

Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw device?
RDBMS Version: 9.2.0.5 Operating System and Version: Solaris 8 Error Number (if applicable): Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Data Guard Product Version: 9.2.0.5 Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw device? We want to setup a disaster recovery site for a RAC database on raw device. For reducing the work of configurations, we consider to use a file-based datbase as the remote standby database. Is there any problem or compatible issue to do this ? Regards, William On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:28:55 +0200, William wrote (in article <544e016e.0409291928...

IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux: I/O benchmark of RAW DEVICES vs BLOCK DEVICES vs COOKED FILES
Hello there, this is a long message (sorry in advance) which contains some hopefully interesting information. There are also some questions at the end. I have this nice new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 machine, it's an HP DL 385 with 8 internal 10K RPM SAS disks, 2 dual-core AMD Opteron CPUs and 4 GB RAM. Machine features 256 Mb of cache on the disks controller. Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/p6k6y I have installed Informix Dynamic Server 10.00.FC4 (64 bit). I bumped into this IBM article: http://tinyurl.com/gfovb, where it says that Informix IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux is able to access block devices in unbuffered fashion -like it does for the raw devices- using KAIO (Kernel Asynchronous I/O). The server is brand new, and I can play with it a bit before it goes into production, so I decided to do some performance testing of RAW vs BLOCK vs COOKED, to see which one was better from the I/O performance point of view. Some definitions, first: * RAW DEVICE or CHARACTER DEVICE = devices through which data is transmitted one character at a time, using unbuffered input and output routines; each character is read from, or written to, the device immediately; such devices are disk partitions without a file system on them, and are therefore managed from outside the operating system using direct access and bypassing the OS layer and its cache * BLOCK DEVICE = devices through which data is transmitted in the form of blocks, the most sign...

Convert .000 file to .mat file
Hi matlabers! Here is a very specific questions for oceanographers, but perhaps other people can also answer me... I am dealing with raw data files coming from RDI oceanographic instruments. They have an extension .000 (binary file). I will need to convert them into .mat files. I know that Nortek has developped a tool named bin2mat, which converts their raw data files (.aqd, .adp,...) into .mat files, is there any similar tool for RDI instruments? thanks in advance for your attention, Camille. On Jul 21, 1:26=A0pm, "Camille Couzi" <camilleco...@yahoo.fr> wrote: > Hi matlab...

Raw device VS cooked file
Hi everybody, a question about raw VS cooked once again (sorry about that), hopefully this time a bit different. I am using IDS 10.0 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 4, as well as on Solaris 8 and 9. I use Informix since years, and always have installed it making use of raw devices, since there always have been a clear statement in the IBM documentation telling that on UNIX raw devices are the suggested choice for the best I/O performance. The IBM IDS 10 Server Administrator Guide, http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/25122672.pdf, at page 241 says infact: --------------------------------------------------------------------------- <<On UNIX, you should use raw disk devices to store data whenever performance is important.>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------- However, looking further in the same document, at page 242, I have noticed that for the first time there is also this new and interesting statement: --------------------------------------------------------------------------- <<Important: While you should use raw disk devices on UNIX to achieve better performance, recent advances in I/O caching for cooked writes can provide similar if not better performance. To determine the best device performance, perform benchmark testing on the system with both types of devices for the dbspace and table layout.>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

RE: Raw device VS cooked file
In my experience with AIX. The new enhanced journal file system (JFS2), there are file system option to use SIO or DIO. Using DIO (direct io) gives pretty close results to raw partition with Oracle and Informix. I am not sure if Solaris, HPUX or Linux has any option similar to AIX Basim Chafik Senior Systems Analyst IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) 1.800.688.4895 basim.chafik@plx.com plexus (Division of BancTec) -----Original Message----- From: Rupan3rd [mailto:rupan.nospam.3rd@hotmail.com] Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:18 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Raw device VS cooked file - any benchmark recently done? I know what pros and cons of using raw might be. My need is to have the best performance for my OLTP system, therefore I was wordering if and in what cases it might be actually true that there are disk devices able to achieve "I/O caching for cooked writes" that "can provide similar if not better performance" than raw areas. Still the documentation does not explicitly say if the cooked READS would be that good as well nor how to benchmark nor the effect of the fragmentation. Regards Rupan3rd malcolm weallans wrote: > I would really like to see any evidence that people have on this issue. I > have a number of systems that are running with acceptable performance on raw > disks. But could we be doing better and at what cost? > > But from almost ...

lacing redo logs on Raw Devices instea dof cooked File Systes,
I will be upgrading a database from Oracle8i to Oracle9i on HP UNIX. Application tuning has already been done within the constraints that it is an application bought from another company. It is single instance database (i.e., no RAC). We will also be recreating Oracle9i database and doing export/import from old to new and then applying application level schema changes. Our application/database is clearly disk bound. We are using SAN. All our file systems are cooked. I have read discussions on raw vs cooked on Oracle web sites as well as in this forum. I am looking into moving only redo logs ...

Can't database files of Oracle 9i be set up on raw volume device?
The Oracle 9i installer displayed it can't be written when I set up database files on /dev/md/rdsk/d1 or /dev/md/dsk/d1. $ showrev Hostname: sun01 Hostid: 83f6d985 Release: 5.9 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Domain: amkor.com.cn Kernel version: SunOS 5.9 Generic 117171-07 Jun 2004 how to fix the issue? Thanks. "newbie" <cd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e1kdip$lqo$1@news.yaako.com... > The Oracle 9i installer displayed it can't be written when I set up > database > files on /dev/md/r...

reading data from device and save data to file
Hello. I have a hardware device connected via lan. I want to read data from device and save data in a file (txt,dat,mat,whatever). I have 2 problems 1. The 'Terminator' that the device is using is something like 9.9e37. How can i change the terminator in my tcpip object? (matlab wants ascii characters from 0 to 127 I think) 2. The data received from device is a string , something like 1.1,2.3,4.2,.... comma is the delimiter. How can I write the received string in a file whitout the comma delimiter (using instead white space) ? Thank you ...

Getting name of device which is bind to raw device if i have raw device name
Hi Can any one tell me Ihave a raw device is bind to a logical volume How to get the logical volume name from the name of the raw device Thanks , Sachin sachin wrote: > > Hi > Can any one tell me > Ihave a raw device is bind to a logical volume > How to get the logical volume name from the name of the raw device That is imposible. You can get the device number by using the RAW_GETBIND ioctl (like raw -q does). But there is no way to get the device name from the device number (other than searching through all of /dev and hoping to find the right nod...

Data/Transaction log files for two databases have same file name
We have two db's. One live and one test. When I right click on the live one in SQL Enterprise Manager and select properties -> Data Files -> File Name is LIVE.MDF Location is F:\Data\LIVE.MDF When I right click on the test one in SQL Enterprise Manager and select properties -> Data Files -> File Name is LIVE.MDF Location is F:\Data\TEST.MDF Same thing applies to Transaction log files too. My concern is File Name is same in both the above cases even though the location is different. What are the consequences of this. Thanks for your help GVV ...

Data/Transaction log files for two databases have same file name
We have two db's. One live and one test. When I right click on the live one in SQL Enterprise Manager and select properties -> Data Files -> File Name is LIVE.MDF Location is F:\Data\LIVE.MDF When I right click on the test one in SQL Enterprise Manager and select properties -> Data Files -> File Name is LIVE.MDF Location is F:\Data\TEST.MDF Same thing applies to Transaction log files too. My concern is File Name is same in both the above cases even though the location is different. What are the consequences of this. Thanks for your help GVV Girish (kattukuyil@hotmail.co...

Output data to file and then How to update the data in file?
I am a beginner to programming. I know how to read and output data to a file in java, but how can i update the data in file. For example, if i want to change the word "TOM" to "JOHN" in file name.txt How can i do it in java? saturnlee@yahoo.com wrote: > I am a beginner to programming. > I know how to read and output data to a file in java, but how can i > update the data in file. > For example, if i want to change the word "TOM" to "JOHN" in file > name.txt > How can i do it in java? Start here.. <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tu...

PS CS camera raw, getting full camera EXIF data from raw file into jpeg
I use camera raw and edit my Canon raw images in CS. When the result is saved as JPG file, the embedded EXIF contains only PhotoShop's meta data, basically software name, and editing date and time. The original camera EXIF data is not included in the resulting JPG file. I have tried setting and unsetting several options but cannot make PhotoShop to include camera's original EXIF data into the resulting JPG file. Which options do you set in CS to include camera's original EXIF data into JPG file when using camera raw? Hitchkas <hitchkas@gmail.com> wrote: > I use came...

Finding data in a file when data line in file changes
I have an hourly data file containing "1" line of good data and several lines of missing data usually as -999. The problem is this data is NOT consistent in where the good data is so I have to find it every hour. For example, the data file might look like: -999.9 -99999 -9999 -99 -9999 -999.9 -99999 -9999 -99 -9999 -999.9 -99999 -9999 -99 -9999 date time data data data data data -999.9 -99999 -9999 -99 -9999 or -999.9 -99999 -9999 -99 -9999 -999.9 -99999 -9999 -99 -9999 -999.9 -99999 -9999 -99 -9999 date time data data data data data -999.9 -99999 -9999 -99 -9999 -999.9 -99999 ...

read data from cvs files and write data to cvs files
Hi, I am confused about reading data. How can Matlab read data from a cvs file and how can Matlab modify such data? Is it easier to read data from excel and modify them there? If so, how? Thank you very much. ...

Database to xml for data migration
Hi Everyone, I have searched google for answers and have gone down a few paths of investigation.... But being a newbie I am rapidly getting confused and this should essentially be a very simple task. What I need is some advice on the best way to go about this problem. We are needing to generate XML documents for a migration into a new system from an existing database. I looked into the ruby builder library, but couldn't see too many examples outside of rails to build the XML up from a template. I know I can put together a rails app to use an rxml template etc, but going down that path ...

Raw vs. Cooked files
Hello, I am installing IDS 10 on RHEL3 on an intel x86 server. I need to make the choice between raw devices and cooked files. I found the following information in the FAQ's. Is this information still accurate? Do cooked files continue to be significantly slower than the raw files? I have heard that UNIX file systems have improved over the years and the performance divide between raw and cooked files has narrowed considerabley. Is it true? Thanks! - Rajesh -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6.38 Is raw disk faster than cooked files? On 22nd Jun 1998 kagel@bloomberg.net (Art S. Kagel) wrote:- .....................the safety issue of cooked files is no longer a problem. The big problem with cooked files still is performance. All writes and reads to/from cooked files MUST go through the UNIX buffer cache. This means an additional copy from the server's output buffer to the UNIX buffer page then a synchronous write to disk. This is opposed to a write to a way file where the server's output buffer is written directly to disk without the intervening copy. This is just faster. Anyone who has written anything that can test this can attest to the difference in speed. Here are my test results: FileType Sync? Times (real/user/system) 2run avg --------------- ----- ----------------------------------------- Filesystem file N 14.40/3.70/2.52 Y 15.02/3.61/2.63 Cooked ...

get data from a database or from a file?
Hallo, I have to get a list of elements (for ajax autocompose field in a form). the question is: it is better to write this elements in a file one time every day and get then get data reading the file OR it is better to read these data directly from databases? why choose the first option? why choose the second option? Thank you in advance, Mario. "_mario.lat" <none@libero.it> wrote in message news:pan.2007.04.04.14.28.40.735162@libero.it... > Hallo, > I have to get a list of elements (for ajax autocompose field in a form). > the question is: > > it is bette...

outputting raw data to a file
hey, i need to output raw data to a file without perl first converting it to a string...for example, when i try the following: open(SES,">filename"); $x=43; print SES $x; perl converts $x to the string '43' then stores that string (2 ascii byte values) into the file...how can i make it so that instead it just stores 43 as the first byte of the file?...ie, i want the first byte of the file to have a value of 43 (and each byte of the file to have a unique value that i'll be determining as well) thanks --The Mosquito Scriptkiddiot. "I wish I was a glow worm A ...

jmf:how get data from stream (of file data) and not by url or file
Hallo, I have a little problem. Java Media Framework reproduces data which is passed by url or a file. I have this data in a stream... i mean I have in stream the data-file (a simple server which read file and give it by stream). How can I pass it to JMF to reproduce it? I can't read stream data and store it in a file and the pass it to JMF but I have to "pass" to JMF only "the stream". How can I do? there is a way to do that? Thank you in advance, Mario. _mario.lat wrote: ... >Java Media Framework reproduces data which is passed by url or a file. >I have this d...

Data Migration
Data migration involves converting data from one format to another system o= r newer format. However, more than 80% of data migration projects fail to a= chieve desired success, run late or over budget. This could heavily put you= r enterprise application deployment at risk and negatively affect your busi= ness operations.=20 It may seem that migrating data is a straightforward task, but data migrati= on is a critical and complicated process. Therefore, to make data migration= project successful, it is important for you to identify the potential risk= s and activities in advance. On...

how to stream or write data into a tar.gz file as if the data were from files?
I have a gazillion little files in memory (each is really just a chunk of data, but it represents what needs to be a single file) and I need to throw them all into a .tar.gz archive. In this case, it must be in .tar.gz format and it must unzip into actual files--although I pity the fellow that actually has to unzip this monstrosity. Here's the solutions I've come up with so far: 1. Not portable, *extremely* slow: write out all these "files" into a directory and make a system call to tar (tar -xzf ...) 2. Portable but still just as slow: write out all these "f...

Web resources about - Migrate data from raw device to cooked file - comp.databases.informix

1-800-Flowers Becomes the First Client to Migrate to Facebook’s Revamped Atlas Ad Platform
... platform , which Facebook announced at Advertising Week 2014 in New York at the end of September, has its first client, as 1-800-Flowers migrated ...

Facebook Migrates 400,000 Users to Fans of Apple’s Page
While Facebook has been turning up the marketing on businesses and brand owners to create Facebook Pages, one feature of Pages that is less well ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

'You don't migrate to this country unless you want to join our team': Tony Abbott renews push on national ...
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has elaborated on his "Team Australia" remarks, telling a radio interview that "you don't migrate to this country ...

Tony Abbott's woman problem migrates to his ministry
Tony Abbott is having women trouble. It's nothing he said, mind.

Doctors and Nurses From Poor Countries Migrate To Rich Ones
Australia has saved almost $640 million by poaching doctors from some of the poorest countries in Africa.

Pacific Islanders reject 'climate refugee' status, want to 'migrate with dignity', SIDS conference hears ...
Pacific Islanders who may be forced to flee rising sea levels say they want to be able to migrate with dignity.

Polar bears migrate to Canadian Arctic for longer lasting ice: study
Some polar bear clusters have slowly moved to islands north of Canada's mainland that are retaining the Arctic ice for longer, according to a ...

Apple Music giving former Beats subscribers month grace period to migrate libraries
... all of their content, playlists, music, and preferences will be safe until January 19th, 2016. That means that you have until then to migrate ...

Verizon Explains the Real Reason Geese Migrate
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots , new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv , a company that catalogs, tags ...