moving a database from one server to another.

NT 4.0, IDS 7.3

Hi all I'm moving a small database (4gb) from one server to another as
a favour to a mate.

I'm savvy with IDS on Unix but have never used it on Windows.

The database doesn't have any blobs. And the source and target
operating systems and Informix versions are identical. The target
machine has much more disk and memory.

Looking through the manual it looks a little different to Unix.

May I ask you a few questions? (Pardon my ignorance in advance).

Should I use onunload/ onload or dbexport/dbimport?

Do I need to run these commands through a command shell or is there a
nice menu driven system to use?

Do I need to specify tape block sizes or does the block size default?

Are there any "undocumented" problems that I should be aware of in
this process?

Any other comments?

Thanks in anticipation :)
0
spamfreeemail
8/11/2003 11:49:35 AM
comp.databases.informix 16081 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: moving a database from one server to another.
How is the machine currently being archived? Have you considered just doing a straight restore from an archive? Same OS/same IDS disks set up the same so same chunks available. Unless you have very good reason to need to reorganise the data this appears to cry out for a quick and simple ontape -r. Keith -> -----Original Message----- -> From: spamfreeemail@despammed.com -> [mailto:spamfreeemail@despammed.com] -> Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:50 PM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: moving a database from one server to another. -> -> ->...

checklist for moving a database from one server to another?
Hi all. I know that since you know nothing about my database it will be a stretch to answer this - but does anyone have a boiler plate checklist for moving a database, dts packages, agent jobs, etc...from one server to another? Maybe something that just says I should at least do x,y,z. Also if anyone out there has any hard won experience/advice about gotchas when doing this I would love to hear it. We have outgrown a server and are installing a new one this week that we need to move over to. Thanks! Hi This has all you need!! http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314546...

Moving Progress database from one SCO server to another.
Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an old SCO 5.0.4 server running a warehouse/distribution app using Progress. They have a newer server on which they have installed SCO 5.0.7 and copied the Progress files over. They say they can open the Progress application on the new server, but if they try to input data, it freezes. Is it possible to simply copy Progress over like that and expect it to work? If so, then maybe this is a permissions problem? TIA Al AB typed (on Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:03:57PM -0700): | Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an...

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the ...

How to move database from one server to another? ACL problem
I moved a databese from one server (lotus 5) to another (Lotus 6). I did it simply by copying a file. On a New Server I can't manage ACL. What should I do? The best solution will be to how to do it without access to a old server? Before you move a database anywhere you first setup the ACL to match the target situation, then move it. Not the other way around. Other considerations are reader/author fields. You must consider these also if they are used. John Aylmer "Michael" <azmk@gazeta.pl> wrote in message news:c08cbd4f.0308010159.523a2e6e@posting.google.com.....

moving oracle database 9 from another computer to another one
hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another computer to another one, and i need also to place the database in the same directory in the new pc as it was in the old pc. what is the best way to do this? please try to explain point by point. thank you! "noumian" <n.noumia@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1e751a0c-d5ca-4f2c-a126-d97ad842da61@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. > i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another compu...

Using Objects from one database in another database
I've looked around here to see if this can be done, but haven't found the answer. Here is what I want to do... I have a two databases -- One for Sales and one for Operations. These are used by two groups of people with some obvious overlap (like the boss, for example). Some of the data is the same, so I'm using only one backend database file to hold the data. However, I want to have one piece (projects) from the Operations database to also be used in the sales database. The projects piece of it consists of several forms, subforms, reports, queries, code, etc. To cut down on ...

copying data from one database to another database
I want to copy data from our production database to the development database. I want to move only the data. I do not need the table structure, constrains or anything else. I think I can use the db2move command to export out all the data like the following: db2move dbname export -tc schema1 When I load the data into our development database, will it recreate the tables? My problem is that I do not want to recreate the structure. I want to make sure that I am copying over only the data. Is db2move the best utility to move the data between two databases without making any stru...

Web resources about - moving a database from one server to another. - comp.databases.informix

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...