Question about logging mode and databases

Hello Everybody!!!!

I'm new here. Thank you for your attention in advance!=20

I have a simple question regarding backups. I received some informix instan=
ces to manage. I saw that some Instances have databases with nologging. Is =
it possible to make online backups of these instances? I need to put all da=
tabases inside an Instance in logging mode before making backups? This is p=
rerequisite? Sorry, I'm an Oracle DBA and I got this instances to manage wi=
thout any training. I read a lot of documentation before asking this questi=
on and I didn't find any information about this. Thinking in Oracle, I beli=
eve that all databases must be in logging mode to enable online backups. Is=
 it correct?

Best Regards!

Marcos Fontana=20

0
Marcos

Em ter=C3=A7a-feira, 29 de novembro de 2016 15:14:28 UTC-2, Marcos Fontana =
 escreveu:
> Hello Everybody!!!!
>=20
> I'm new here. Thank you for your attention in advance!=20
>=20
> I have a simple question regarding backups. I received some informix inst=
ances to manage. I saw that some Instances have databases with nologging. I=
s it possible to make online backups of these instances? I need to put all =
databases inside an Instance in logging mode before making backups? This is=
 prerequisite? Sorry, I'm an Oracle DBA and I got this instances to manage =
without any training. I read a lot of documentation before asking this ques=
tion and I didn't find any information about this. Thinking in Oracle, I be=
lieve that all databases must be in logging mode to enable online backups. =
Is it correct?
>=20
> Best Regards!
>=20
> Marcos Fontana

One more question. In case of be possible to making backups of an Instance =
with databases with and without logging, is it possible to recover database=
s without logging?

Regards,

Marcos Fontana
0
Marcos
11/29/2016 6:21:58 PM
Am Dienstag, 29. November 2016 18:14:28 UTC+1 schrieb Marcos Fontana:
> Hello Everybody!!!!
>=20
> I'm new here. Thank you for your attention in advance!=20
>=20
> I have a simple question regarding backups. I received some informix inst=
ances to manage. I saw that some Instances have databases with nologging. I=
s it possible to make online backups of these instances? I need to put all =
databases inside an Instance in logging mode before making backups? This is=
 prerequisite? Sorry, I'm an Oracle DBA and I got this instances to manage =
without any training. I read a lot of documentation before asking this ques=
tion and I didn't find any information about this. Thinking in Oracle, I be=
lieve that all databases must be in logging mode to enable online backups. =
Is it correct?
>=20
> Best Regards!
>=20
> Marcos Fontana

Hi Marcos,

you can do an online backup with ontape or onbar of databases with or witho=
ut logging. Databases without logging have no transaction logging, so it=C2=
=B4 s only possible to restore the data to the time of the last physical ba=
ckup. Be aware that you backup your complete instance with all databases in=
 it.

Cheers
Erik
0
Erik
11/30/2016 8:59:13 AM
On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 17:14:28 UTC, Marcos Fontana  wrote:
> Hello Everybody!!!!
>=20
> I'm new here. Thank you for your attention in advance!=20
>=20
> I have a simple question regarding backups. I received some informix inst=
ances to manage. I saw that some Instances have databases with nologging. I=
s it possible to make online backups of these instances? I need to put all =
databases inside an Instance in logging mode before making backups? This is=
 prerequisite? Sorry, I'm an Oracle DBA and I got this instances to manage =
without any training. I read a lot of documentation before asking this ques=
tion and I didn't find any information about this. Thinking in Oracle, I be=
lieve that all databases must be in logging mode to enable online backups. =
Is it correct?
>=20
> Best Regards!
>=20
> Marcos Fontana

Hi Marcos.

Online backups are known as "archives", and can be made with or without dat=
abase logging. You can choose between level 0 (full) or 1/2 (incremental). =
The simplest tool is "ontape". For unlogged databases, you can only restore=
 from the archive (as at when it started), whereas logged databases can be =
rolled-forward through the logical logs after a restore.

Regards,
Doug
0
Doug
11/30/2016 11:00:50 AM
Thank you everybody for the answers. They were very useful!

Regards,

Marcos Fontana

Em quarta-feira, 30 de novembro de 2016 09:00:51 UTC-2, Doug Lawry  escreve=
u:
> On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 17:14:28 UTC, Marcos Fontana  wrote:
> > Hello Everybody!!!!
> >=20
> > I'm new here. Thank you for your attention in advance!=20
> >=20
> > I have a simple question regarding backups. I received some informix in=
stances to manage. I saw that some Instances have databases with nologging.=
 Is it possible to make online backups of these instances? I need to put al=
l databases inside an Instance in logging mode before making backups? This =
is prerequisite? Sorry, I'm an Oracle DBA and I got this instances to manag=
e without any training. I read a lot of documentation before asking this qu=
estion and I didn't find any information about this. Thinking in Oracle, I =
believe that all databases must be in logging mode to enable online backups=
.. Is it correct?
> >=20
> > Best Regards!
> >=20
> > Marcos Fontana
>=20
> Hi Marcos.
>=20
> Online backups are known as "archives", and can be made with or without d=
atabase logging. You can choose between level 0 (full) or 1/2 (incremental)=
.. The simplest tool is "ontape". For unlogged databases, you can only resto=
re from the archive (as at when it started), whereas logged databases can b=
e rolled-forward through the logical logs after a restore.
>=20
> Regards,
> Doug

0