raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT)

Hi,

I just installed IDS 10 on linux and this is what I have found:

- It required glibc 2.3.3 and I was using and old redhat 8, so I upgraded
linux to Fedora Core 3. Dependency fixed

- Required libstdc++.so.5, FC3 includes libstdc++.6[.0.3] so make a
symbolic link (yes I should downgrade but like with curses4 works fine)

- I can't use raw devices with FC3!  it's depretacted, the new way is
using the O_DIRECT flag when opening the chunks, of course in a
close-source program like IDS the only hope is to open a feature request.

     + RHEL 4 has this deprecated options enabled so I don't think IBM
will be interested in this solution.

     + The advantage of O_DIRECT is you dont need to make the association
with the /dev/raw devices and rawio will be always in effect, also KAIO is
enabled by default with rawdevices.

     + The workaround is make a new linux-util and kernel package with raw
enabled.

I'll make my custom kernel and try.
sending to informix-list
0
Fernando

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT)
Hi, On Thursday 03 March 2005 18:45, you wrote: > Hi, > > I just installed IDS 10 on linux and this is what I have found: > > - It required glibc 2.3.3 and I was using and old redhat 8, so I upgraded > linux to Fedora Core 3. Dependency fixed > > - Required libstdc++.so.5, FC3 includes libstdc++.6[.0.3] so make a > symbolic link (yes I should downgrade but like with curses4 works fine) Fedora Core 3 delivers compat-libstdc++-8-3.3.4.2.i386.rpm which include the right link to libstdc++.so.5. If you install the package you can resolve the dependency clean. Andreas > > - I can't use raw devices with FC3! it's depretacted, the new way is > using the O_DIRECT flag when opening the chunks, of course in a > close-source program like IDS the only hope is to open a feature request. > > + RHEL 4 has this deprecated options enabled so I don't think IBM > will be interested in this solution. > > + The advantage of O_DIRECT is you dont need to make the association > with the /dev/raw devices and rawio will be always in effect, also KAIO is > enabled by default with rawdevices. > > + The workaround is make a new linux-util and kernel package with raw > enabled. > > I'll make my custom kernel and try. > sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #5
Hi, in your Machine Specific Notes you should see something like this: ------------------------------------------------------- 3. Kernel Asynchronous I/O (KAIO) Asynchronous I/O is supported by the official Linux kernel since version 2.6.x. IBM Informix Dynamic Server supports Kernel Asynchronous I/O (KAIO) on character devices (a.k.a. raw devices) and block devices. It is enabled by default, and can be disabled by setting the environment variable KAIOOFF=1 in the environment of the process that brings up the server. ... Note that the libaio.so library is required, regardless of the distribution or kernel level. At the time of writing, IBM Informix Dynamic Server requires a minimum of libaio 0.3.96-3. ------------------------------------------------------- Where the last paragraph is exactly what Sandor has pasted into the e-mail before. Which information do you think is missing ? Can you be more specific ? Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 04.03.2005 16:22:59: > Hi Sandor: > > Without the library libaio I got > > 08:32:46 libaio.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or > directory > 08:32:46 Please install libaio package. See machine notes. > 08:32:46 Warning: Kernel Asynchronous I/O is disabled. > > After installing the libr...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #3
Hi Sandor: Without the library libaio I got 08:32:46 libaio.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 08:32:46 Please install libaio package. See machine notes. 08:32:46 Warning: Kernel Asynchronous I/O is disabled. After installing the library and leaving raw devices disabled in kernel (default), IDS 10 uses KAIO. [root@tina 0333]# cat /proc/sys/fs/aio-nr 32768 [root@tina ~]# onstat -g iov IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 10.00.UC1 -- On-Line -- Up 01:21:20 -- 1799820 Kbytes AIO I/O vps: class/vp s io/s totalops dskread dskwrite dskcopy wakeups io/wup errors kio 0 i 0.0 119 119 0 0 275 0.4 0 kio 1 i 0.0 195 185 10 0 502 0.4 0 kio 2 i 0.0 40 23 17 0 170 0.2 0 msc 0 i 0.0 13 0 0 0 14 0.9 0 aio 0 i 0.0 161 16 8 0 161 1.0 0 aio 1 i 0.0 2 0 0 0 3 0.7 0 aio 2 i 0.0 0 0 0 0 1 0.0 0 pio 0 i 0.0 1 0 0 0 2 0.5 0 pio 1 i 0.0 0 0 0 0 1 0.0 0 lio 0 i 0.0 0 0 0 0 1 0.0 0 There is no more information on release notes but machine notes mention the support of KAIO in kerne...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #2
Hi Fernando, I have some information regarding the O_DIRECT flag. IDS V10 detects automatically that it runs on Linux Kernel 2.6 and if KAIO is enabled then it turns on the O_DIRECT flag! To enable KAIO: The libaio.so library is required, regardless of the distribution or kernel level. At the time of writing, IBM Informix Dynamic Server V10.0 requires a minimum of libaio 0.3.96-3. Please also read the release notes for more information! bye Sandor IBM Informix Development Munich Information Management Hollerithstra�e 1 81829 Munich Germany Fernando Ortiz <fortiz@lacorona. com.mx> To Sent by: "Informix-Discussion E-List owner-informix-li (E-mail)" <informix-list@iiug.org> st@iiug.org cc Subject 03.03.2005 18:45 raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) ...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #4
Hi Andreas, Andreas Breitfeld escribi�: > Hi, > > On Thursday 03 March 2005 18:45, you wrote: > >>Hi, >> >>I just installed IDS 10 on linux and this is what I have found: >> >>- Required libstdc++.so.5, FC3 includes libstdc++.6[.0.3] so make a >>symbolic link (yes I should downgrade but like with curses4 works fine) > > Fedora Core 3 delivers compat-libstdc++-8-3.3.4.2.i386.rpm which include the > right link to libstdc++.so.5. If you install the package you can resolve the > dependency clean. > > Andreas > With this package works perfectly Thanks sending to informix-list ...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #6
Martin Fuerderer escribi�: > Hi, > > in your Machine Specific Notes you should see something like this: > > ------------------------------------------------------- > 3. Kernel Asynchronous I/O (KAIO) > > Asynchronous I/O is supported by the official Linux kernel since > version > 2.6.x. IBM Informix Dynamic Server supports Kernel Asynchronous I/O > (KAIO) > on character devices (a.k.a. raw devices) and block devices. It is ^^^^ > enabled > by default, and can be disabled by setting the environment variable > KAIOOFF=1 in the environment of the process that brings up the server. > > ... > > Note that the libaio.so library is required, regardless of the > distribution > or kernel level. At the time of writing, IBM Informix Dynamic Server > requires a minimum of libaio 0.3.96-3. > ------------------------------------------------------- > > Where the last paragraph is exactly what Sandor has pasted into the > e-mail before. > > Which information do you think is missing ? Can you be more specific ? > I's been using IDS on linux for years and always need to link the disk partitions (block devices) to raw devices (/dev/raw) to optimize I/O. It wasn't clear to me, that I don't need any longer to use /dev/raw, and can just use the block device....

Getting name of device which is bind to raw device if i have raw device name
Hi Can any one tell me Ihave a raw device is bind to a logical volume How to get the logical volume name from the name of the raw device Thanks , Sachin sachin wrote: > > Hi > Can any one tell me > Ihave a raw device is bind to a logical volume > How to get the logical volume name from the name of the raw device That is imposible. You can get the device number by using the RAW_GETBIND ioctl (like raw -q does). But there is no way to get the device name from the device number (other than searching through all of /dev and hoping to find the right nod...

Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw device?
RDBMS Version: 9.2.0.5 Operating System and Version: Solaris 8 Error Number (if applicable): Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Data Guard Product Version: 9.2.0.5 Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw device? We want to setup a disaster recovery site for a RAC database on raw device. For reducing the work of configurations, we consider to use a file-based datbase as the remote standby database. Is there any problem or compatible issue to do this ? Regards, William On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:28:55 +0200, William wrote (in article <544e016e.0409291928...

IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux: I/O benchmark of RAW DEVICES vs BLOCK DEVICES vs COOKED FILES
Hello there, this is a long message (sorry in advance) which contains some hopefully interesting information. There are also some questions at the end. I have this nice new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 machine, it's an HP DL 385 with 8 internal 10K RPM SAS disks, 2 dual-core AMD Opteron CPUs and 4 GB RAM. Machine features 256 Mb of cache on the disks controller. Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/p6k6y I have installed Informix Dynamic Server 10.00.FC4 (64 bit). I bumped into this IBM article: http://tinyurl.com/gfovb, where it says that Informix IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux is able to access block devices in unbuffered fashion -like it does for the raw devices- using KAIO (Kernel Asynchronous I/O). The server is brand new, and I can play with it a bit before it goes into production, so I decided to do some performance testing of RAW vs BLOCK vs COOKED, to see which one was better from the I/O performance point of view. Some definitions, first: * RAW DEVICE or CHARACTER DEVICE = devices through which data is transmitted one character at a time, using unbuffered input and output routines; each character is read from, or written to, the device immediately; such devices are disk partitions without a file system on them, and are therefore managed from outside the operating system using direct access and bypassing the OS layer and its cache * BLOCK DEVICE = devices through which data is transmitted in the form of blocks, the most sign...

Uncovering Linux Android Master Key That Makes 99% of Linux Devices Vulnerable, nearly 900 million Linux devices
The Bluebox Security research team - Bluebox Labs - recently discovered a vulnerability in Linux Android's security model that allows a hacker to modify APK code without breaking an application's cryptographic signature, to turn any legitimate application into a malicious Trojan, completely unnoticed by the app store, the phone, or the end user. The implications are huge! This vulnerability, around at least since the release of Android 1.6 (codename: "Donut" ), could affect any Android phone released in the last 4 years1 - or nearly 900 million Linux devices2- a...

Raw LVM devices on Linux
I'm having a difficult time finding a definitive answer to the proper usage of raw devices on Linux. We are running IDS 9.40 on SLES9 using LVM partitions for our dbspaces. We use soft links to the /dev/volgroup/volname files. While this clearly is not "cooked" file system space, is it buffered by the OS? The /dev/volgroup/volname devices are block devices, not character devices: brw-rw---- 1 informix informix 253, 5 Sep 29 20:33 vg1-disk1 If you do some Googling on the subject, you'll find out about /dev/raw/rawN devices, which ARE character devices. And that's what I've always believed is a proper raw device for Informix. I've set up a test machine (CentOS 4.2) using /dev/raw: crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 1 Mar 14 14:05 raw1 As a side note: When using /dev/raw, the owner and group do not stick because the devices are created at each boot. But Informix does not seem to mind as long as you chown informix:informix just before creating the dbspace. This SuSE link has instructions for using /dev/raw: http://www.novell.com/products/linuxenterpriseserver8/whitepapers/LVM.pdf But this IBM link instructs you to link directly to /dev/hdbN: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0603breitfeld/ Ignore the 'db2' in the url path, the article is about Informix. It's not LVM, but they still don't mention /dev/raw So, what's the scoop? Are both /dev/whatever and...

Mirror / Raw device / Informix
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C61536.8C8CD89C Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear IIUG, =20 I would like to ask if I can do a mirror of my database which is installed on raw device into the 2 server by using mirror technology. I heart that this solution won't work with Informix but I'm not sure therefore I asked the question on IIUG. =20 Is there any tool by Informix can help me to mirror the database of my raw device? Are there anyway to build redundant system for my database server? =20 I used Informix 10.0 and as OS Suse Enterprice Linux Sever 9=20 Any help will be grateful =20 Regards, Muthana AL-Temimi ------_=_NextPart_001_01C61536.8C8CD89C Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html> <head> <meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dus-ascii"> <meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 10 (filtered)"> <style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline;} span.Ema...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

How to create raw devices on linux?
I�m installing a sybase database for the first time. I have to use raw partitions, but i have no experience with them. I created the filesystems and them, edit the /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices ex; /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 when i type the command : raw -qa, i get this output: /dev/raw/raw1: bound to major 104, minor 2 Is this working? i have no idea.... best regards JacK On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:05:37 +0000, John Smith wrote: > I�m installing a sybase database for the first time. > > I have to use raw partitions, but i have no experience with them. I cr...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

[News] Review of a Unique Linux Device, Linux Grows in Embedded Devices
Meet the chumby ,----[ Quote ] | I've been pacing the chumby maternity ward for nearly a year, waiting for | this unique wireless device to see the light of day. I recently took delivery | of my own little bundle of chumby joy and, at first look, I think it will | make a great addition to my growing gadget family. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119766 LinuxCertified Announces Embedded and Real-Time Linux Development Training ,----[ Quote ] | Over the past few years, more and more organizations have been opting for | Linux as their embedded platform. `---- http://www.linux...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

RE: Mirror / Raw device / Informix
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6153D.0A4774A2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Muthana- In order to use redundant drives on your server: in your onconfig file, change MIRROR 0 to MIRROR 1, then bounce your database. You may then use onspaces -m to mirror your dbspaces. Read the manual first. For replication across servers, Informix has built in high availability data replication (master - slave only) and enterprise replication (can be configured in many different ways). Both are free in enterprise edition. High availability requires an additional license for workgroup edition. Enterprise replication is not allowed in workgroup edition. For documentation, see: http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/pubs/library =20 --EEM =20 -----Original Message----- From: Muthana.AL-Temimi@tu-harburg.hamburg.de [mailto:Muthana.AL-Temimi@tu-harburg.hamburg.de]=20 Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 10:06 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Cc: m.al@tuhh.de Subject: Mirror / Raw device / Informix =20 Dear IIUG, =20 I would like to ask if I can do a mirror of my database which is installed on raw device into the 2 server by using mirror technology. I heart that this solution won't work with Informix but I'm not sure therefore I asked the questi...

AW: Mirror / Raw device / Informix
Art Kagel wrote:=20 >=20 > There are better solutions however. As hinted by others,=20 > Informix provides=20 > two levels of database replication that can be used to=20 > maintain a secondary=20 > server which is either a hot backup system for failovers only=20 > or which is=20 > indeed a live server which can be accessed anytime with=20 > up-to-date data. >=20 > These are respectively known as HighAvailability Data=20 > Replication (HDR) and=20 > Enterprise Replication (ER). Neither uses OS or disk vendor=20 > services for=20 > replication. =20 There is a third option, you may use the perpetual restore method=20 where you keep a secondary instance in logical recovery mode=20 and constantly feed logical logs with onbar as the get produced=20 on the production side. (relies on the imported restore and=20 the fact that IDS can suspend logical recovery after a failure to=20 retrieve an object from the storage manager. The method has been developed by Bob Weiman (a former 3rd level support engineer at Informix),=20 and is described in a Technote available at http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3D630&context=3DSSGU8G&q1=3Dper= petua l+restore&uid=3Dswg21210590&loc=3Den_US&cs=3Dutf-8&lang=3Den Regards Tilman=20 What happens whihlst you are doing this the machine is rebooted e.g. hardware failure, panic, power failure? When IDS (+possibly ISM) restart what happe...

[News] [Linux] Linux USB Device Experience Better Than Windows USB Device Experience
Another Ubuntu Win: USB Devices ,----[ Quote ] | I had a similar experience with my Canon camera. It's so weird that | Windows is trying to make it easy with all of it's autodetecting USB | devices and searching for drivers, but then it just fails. Ubuntu | just works. `---- http://www.leonatkinson.com/index.php/another-ubuntu-win-usb-devices/ Related: Ubuntu and wireless - now better than Windows! ,----[ Quote ] | For years, Linux has had a reputation of being notoriously bad for | wireless access, whether through access points, ad-hoc, whatever. | But the new KWirelessNetwork...

Linux, Linux, Linux

Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling Informix the new location of the chunks. This seems straigtforward for the rootdbs (which is defined in onconfig), but what about the other chunks..? I want to avoid unloading and reloading the data. All I want to do is move the physical chunks.. onstat -d: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC5 -- On-Line -- Up 2 days 14:38:28 -- 40768 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name c04a150 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs c04a618 2 1 2 1 N informix logicdbs c04a6d8 3 1 3 1 N informix procdbs 3 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname c04a210 1 1 50 400000 278361 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s4 c04a458 2 2 50 200000 134867 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s5 c04a538 3 3 50 400000 347171 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s6 Any help appreciated... Matt mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw > slices to the local filesystem...? > > I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling > Informix the new location of the chunks. > > This seems str...

[News] Amazon's DRM-laden Linux Device Faces Competition from Better Linux Devices

Web resources about - raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) - comp.databases.informix

Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Dan Rosenberg @ djrbliss ...

ext4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and proposed to fork the source code of ext3, rename it as ext4, and do all the development there, without affecting the current ext3 users. ...

on io scheduling again
Most of database engines have to deal with underlying layers - operating systems, device drivers, firmware and physical devices, albeit different ...

An ode to running a database on bare metal
... the things they recommended, which we implemented: set vm.swappiness kernel setting to 0 in /etc/sysctl.conf set InnoDB flush method to O_DIRECT ...

Subtly Bad Things Linux May Be Doing To PostgreSQL
In addition to talking about PostgreSQL at LSF/MM and Collab , I also learned a few things about the Linux kernel that I had not known before, ...

FastVPS Eesti OU · GitHub
Build software better, together.

Lucene and fadvise/madvise
While indexing, Lucene periodically merges multiple segments in the index into a single larger segment. This keeps the number of segments relatively ...

Disaster: MySQL 5.5 Flushing
We raised topic of problems with flushing in InnoDB several times, some links: InnoDB Flushing theory and solutions MySQL 5.5.8 in search of ...

Wim Coekaerts Blog
Blogs.Oracle.Com - Wim Coekaerts Blog