Re: 2xSMP vs RAC for failover - was Re: informix market share #2

DA Morgan said:

> Serge Rielau wrote:
>
>> Duly noted. Thoughts for the road: If you use a 2 node cluster and one
>> goes down you're dead unless you kept load very low when the RAC system
>> is up. That is the 2 node RAC cluster competes with a 2x4 SMP box which
>> of course will price hardware wise the same (minus the 2 switches +
>> disk). You did not price out the equivalent dataguard solution, btw.
>>
>> Cheers and bye
>> Serge
>
> And Obnoxio's objection duly noted here so one closing thought and I too
> end the thread.
>
> That quick comment being that you just build in one extra node so if
> one burns itself to the ground ... you still have what you need. And
> given the low cost of an extra node (a few thousands dollars): Who cares.

Yes, Daniel. We all expect you to get the last word in.

Tosser.

--
Bye now,
Obnoxio

"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
  - Coluche

 did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all
columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this
has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record
and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent
table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila,
relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit
controversial among modellers.

--r937, dbforums.com
sending to informix-list
0
Obnoxio
12/2/2005 8:31:36 PM
comp.databases.informix 16081 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Re: 2xSMP vs RAC for failover
DA Morgan said: > > Serge Rielau wrote: >> DA Morgan wrote: >> >>> Serge Rielau wrote: >>> >>>> *chuckle*And there always will be because SMP scales better than RAC >>>> (more CPUs needed) and RAC is cited as a major contributer to Linux >>>> licenses... it ain't free. >>> >>> >>> >>> Of course if you also want transparent failover with that big SMP box >>> you get to buy at least one more of them. >> >> Of course. But that wou;d be the add Orcale doen't show. > > Actually that IS the Oracle marketing message. Stop buying big, > expensive, SMP boxes. Instead buy low cost resilient hardware. Build > the equivalent of those expensive boat-anchors from components and > gain not just equivalent processing power and lower cost but, and a > most important ... but ... also gain transparent failover. > >>> From my experience only a small percentage of Oracle customers buy RAC >>> for scalability. The vast majority for transparent failover. >> >> That matches what I hear. Not what Oracle says of course (that ad >> again).... > > Any technologist that listens to marketing messages and makes the > assumption that they are the definitive word is a fool. I would hope one > does not spend a decade in this industry only to swoon over the > carefully c...

Re: informix market share #2
DA Morgan said: > > Serge Rielau wrote: >> DA Morgan wrote: >> >>> Here is Oracle's exact verbiage from their web site: >>> >>> Oracle Database Standard Edition may only be used on machines which >>> have the ability to run a maximum of four processor cores or on a >>> cluster of machines supporting up to a maximum of four processor cores >>> per cluster. >> >> So do you still stand by your comparison to SE? Are you alleging that >> IDS' multithreaded engine can only exploit 4 processors? >> >> Cheers >> Serge > > I didn't make the comparison ... I asked a question ... too nuanced > for you? > > Still looking for someone to point me to a list of features included > in IDS with a comparison against SE and EE so I can see for myself > whether the comparison is valid. > > The arguments I've seen, so far, would make MS Access a reasonable > competitor for IDS: No limit on CPUs. You forgot about the replication. Or can Access do that too? -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you...

Re: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #2
I wonder if one can apply to a DB2-knowlegge work by saying: I don't know DB2 but I know Informix well... ;) Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: "Andrew Hamm" <ahamm@mail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:30:11 +1000 Subject: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix Jean Sagi wrote: > (This isn't rant too) > > Try DB2... for what I see in the long term (2010+) Db2 and Informix > will be the same, so some studyng of DB2 won't hurt. although the downside to studying DB2 now if you don't need...

Re: informix market share
On 11/28/05, Serge Rielau <srielau@ca.ibm.com> wrote: > One time is no time, but next time this happens we'll have to get you > checked for ADD (attention deficit disorder) ;-) > > Try this (works in DB2 for LUW): > CREATE TABLE FROM(SELECT INT); > > SELECT FROM FROM SELECT; SELECT SELECT SELECT FROM FROM FROM; It might work - the first word in each triple is the keyword, the second is the database object name (column, table), and the third is the alias. How does that work in DB2? You created a table FROM with a column SELECT, not a table SELECT with a column FROM. > Or > CREATE TABLE AS(AS INT); > SELECT AS FROM FROM AS SELECT; > SELECT AS AS FROM AS AS SELECT; Those should be OK. CREATE TABLE TABLE( DATE CHAR(10), NULL INT NOT NULL, DECIMAL INT, INT DECIMAL(23)); That will work. SELECT DATE, NULL, DECIMAL, INT FROM TABLE; That might not work; add AS clauses and it might work better. I'd test it except my IDS server machine needs a power-on password typed at the keyboard and I'm 1800 miles away from its keyboard - and I'm too lazy to locate another IDS instance where I am. sending to informix-list Or even: CREATE TEMP TABLE THIS (YOUR INT); SELECT YOUR FAVOURITE FROM THIS NEWS GROUP BY 1 -- Regards, Doug Lawry www.douglawry.webhop.org Doug Lawry wrote: > Or even: > > CREATE TEMP TABLE THIS (YOUR INT); > > SELEC...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix databas...

Re: re: (ad nauseam) re: database market share 2003
Guys, Fun though it has been to watch you each throw the other's toys out of the sandpit, any chance you could take it offline? Enough is enough already!!! Cheers, Pete sending to informix-list "Maelwys Filidh" <lleu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cacg6m$h50$1@news.xmission.com... > > Guys, > > Fun though it has been to watch you each throw the other's toys out of the > sandpit, any chance you could take it offline? > > Enough is enough already!!! > fully agreed. rk- [ I don't take part in flame wars...

Re: Re: Informix in the press... #2
YES! YES!, I'm with you !! Free IDS 10 express download without bombs !!. This allowed me to study, learn and program for IDS. J. -----Original Message----- From: "Roy Mercer" <roy.mercer@gmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: 18 Aug 2006 08:51:47 -0700 Subject: Re: Informix in the press... Are you kidding me! http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/db2express/ DUH! It's free to download and run in production! This was my complaint at the Tampa conference, why does IBM let you download and run DB2 in production but not IDS! IDS Express needs to be offered as a free download just like DB2 express. You work for IBM? WTF! Christine Normile wrote: > The version of IDS v10 without the timeout was made available to the > IIUG exclusively for IIUG members to download. IBM requires that > individuals register when they want to download a product. Stuart > Litel has refused to make the non-timelimited code available because > of this IBM restriction (even though IBM was willing to provide the > hosting service.) > > It's interesting that you say you have trial code for DB2 that is non- > limited. Could you please provide the link where you obtained it? > > On Aug 18, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Double Echo wrote: > > > eric@herber-consulting.de wrote: > >> Sometimes wonders take a little bit longer: > >> > >> http://ww...

RE: RE: Informix and SQL Server #2
Or you create sql/program on the informix side, dump it to filesystem. Then use DTS in sqlserver to FTP the file from informix server to sqlserver server (or somewhere sqlserver can pick it up)... And either transform the data on the way in from the flat file, or load the flat file to a "work-in-progress" table in sqlserver, then DTS/massage that working table into what you need... Not exactly a straight hook, but sometimes straight isn't the cat's meow either ;) -----Original Message----- From: Jean Sagi [mailto:jeansagi@myrealbox.com] Sent: Tuesday, Feb...

RE: re[2]: Informix to Oracle Migration
sorry - not for odbc yet,we're getting 1.0 out first. Once that�s done an esql compiler (probably based on ecpg [the postgres esqlc compiler which we've helped become informix compatible already ]) will be on our todo list.... However - I was just answering the original question.... Perhaps you could help him with his licensing issues ;-) (I doubt he'll have any with aubit4gl!) -----Original Message----- From: "Hubert Hoelzl"<h.hoelzl@querix.com> Has Aubit now got an Esql/C compiler ? >If anybody has any info about...

Re: Re: Migrating Informix to PostgreSQL #2
;) ;) -----Original Message----- From: "My Name Is Bruce and I'm A Sock Puppet" <godzone@downundah.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:54:28 +0100 Subject: Re: Migrating Informix to PostgreSQL Victor Dario Martinez wrote: > > Hi !. I need info about cases or tools of migrating Infomix to PostgreSQL. > > Any info will very very important . > > Thanks !! http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries/Argentina/Business_and_Economy Shopping_and_Services/Employment/ -- Strewth! Stick a sock in it, Sheila! Jea...

Re: Re: Migrate from Informix to Mysql #2
Man, then you are out of luck by yourself. You need to consider: Have to pay: - 4js - Queryx Free: - Aubit 4gl (I didn't remember if it supports Mousql). J. -----Original Message----- From: "Cyrille" <cyrshot@aol.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: 16 Jun 2005 06:20:40 -0700 Subject: Re: Migrate from Informix to Mysql Thank you very much for your answer. But my principal problem is not really here. Sorry, I haven't say all. We have an application which manage this database. This application is written in Informix 4GL, and Centura. Con...

Re: informix market share
rkusenet said: > > So much for MS being crap in OS. They sell many more Kia Picantos than Ferraris. Therefore Ferraris are crap. Oh, hang on. It's Kias that are crap, despite the fact that millions of idiots buy them. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix marketing #2
malc_p@btinternet.com said: > I'd like to have a look, Neil, I really would. What does: > > Welcome Back! > > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14' > > [Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Command contains unrecognized > phrase/keyword. > > /icon/incl_Functions.asp, line 658 > > Mean? It means they're a) running on the wrong OS, b) running with the wrong webserver and c) the wrong database. :o( -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut ferme...

Re: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix
-----Original Message----- From: "Captain Pedantic" <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:40:57 +0100 Subject: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix "Jim Jordan" <wjjordan@nortel.ca> wrote in message news:cierhv$3vj$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com... > In article <2r04ibF14f12eU1@uni-berlin.de>, > Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > >I've seen evidence recently, such as the ICON programme, that IBM are trying > >to do more with Informix, and have heard that the ...

Re: Re
Data Goob said: > 14 hours? 3 hours? > > I can achieve better without the CopperEye. > > ;-) > > Even on one server, and better yet, I know we did this test > on a single 1-cpu box and did our largest load in 39 minutes. Yeah, well, it's pretty specious without a like-for-like comparison. When I was running RBW on my home PC, I could load 122M records (and index them) in about 2 hours. I'm running an Athlon 1.3GHz thing that I cobbled together myself (512MB RAM, single IDE drive). How does that compare to yours? -- Bye now, Obnoxio &...

Re: Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? #2
I'll bet Informix tool get revamped... (or DB2 ones...?) Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: "Neil Truby" <neil.truby@ardenta.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 00:17:39 +0100 Subject: Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? "Marco Greco" <marco@4glworks.com> wrote in message news:ch6rjd$feq$1@news.xmission.com... > > Not to blow my own trumpet, but if you want a dbaccess like tool with cursor > control, placeholders, variables, hashes, control statements, input and output > st...

Re: Re: Informix in the news! Part Deux... #2
I wonder if someone at IBM-Informix have had this thoughts... at least. It would be awesome if it happen, but even now I don't see it how. Maybe IDS will need to come to a point like derby for this to happen, whichever what it was. Maybe IDS will need to come to a point like derby for this to happen, whichever the reasons had been. -----Original Message----- From: Double Echo <doubleecho@your.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:15:07 -0500 Subject: Re: Informix in the news! Part Deux... Christine Normile wrote: > We cannot guarantee what other vendors will do. However, we are closely > engaged with the vendors mentioned below as well as many others. While we > continue to work with these vendors to ensure support of IDS, we need our > install base to influence the other vendors they purchase from just as you > have influenced IBM. Oracle is currently working on certifying IDS v9.40 > with PeopleSoft and we are asking for certification on v10.0. Baan is in > the process of certifying v10.0 and we are currently working on a strategic > initiative with Baan. We continue to work with SAP and will keep you > posted on changes. > > Users communicating with their vendors has the most significant impact on > vendor behavior. I would like to thank each and every customer and > business partner that helped to change IBM's strategy with Informix and I > would ask tha...

Re: Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle? #2
Hey, hey, hey!! It works... ! Now there is something new I know... Chucho -----Original Message----- From: "Brian Foster" <bc_foster@hotmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:16:13 -0500 Subject: Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle? you can select null, you just need to give your column a datatype. i.e. select null::integer from sometable; -Brian select case when 1=2 then 1 else null end::integer null_value from table(set{1}) Jean Sagi wrote in message ... > >I read all you post and it was ver...

Re: OT: Re: database market share 2003
June C. Hunt said: > OTC wrote: >> Who shit in your Wheaties? > > I've missed you! :-) You are well? But your aim is improving, right? :o) I am well, thanks. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "Necrophilia means never having to say ... well, anything!" - Captain Pedantic "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco sending to informix-list ...

Re: informix market share #3
On 27 Nov 2005 at 16:33, rkusenet wrote: > "Bob Jones" <email@me.not> wrote > IBM is slowing making DB2 and Informix > compatible from application language point of view. Already > they have released ESQL/C which is same for both DB2 > and Informix (someone can correct me). It won't be long > before 4GL is ported to Db2. ESQL/C and 4GL have already been ported to DB2 and Oracle SQL Server PostgresSQL MySQL SAP And many more ODBC DBs. They are the same for all databases. sending to informix-list ...

Re: informix market share #17
Serge Rielau said: > > Mark Townsend wrote: >> DA Morgan wrote: >> >>> >>> Seems to me that some of your fellow Informix folks here have been >>> reporting their licenses costing them multiples of the Oracle price. >>> >> >> This is what I could never get my head around with the way IBM went >> forward with Informix. >> >> For a billion dollars they got a database that had a great set of >> features (much more than DB2), measurable market share, an extremely >> loyal customer base eager for a white knight (no pun intended), a >> reasonably good partner base, and a dedicated sales force who could >> actually make real money from selling a great product with a good price >> point ...... >> >> >> ..... and they walked away from it, prefering instead to use a >> non-dedicated sales force to push an inferior product by discounting >> and/or bundling heavily. > Nice spin doctoring. Informix was going down fast before IBM stepped in. > Also I strongly disagree with DB2 being inferior. Both products have > different strengths. DB2 for LUW is a multi-purpose DBMS, handling both > BI and OLTP reasonably well; IDS is a superb OLTP engine but without > OLAP, materialized views, scale out, powerful, orthogonal SQL, ... . > While Informix was investing into Illustra and a multi-threaded engine, >...

RE: informix market share
Serge madgiggled: > Try this (works in DB2 for LUW): > CREATE TABLE FROM(SELECT INT); Table created. > > SELECT FROM FROM SELECT; 206: The specified table (select) is not in the database. 111: ISAM error: no record found. Error in line 1 Near character position 23 > > CREATE TABLE AS(AS INT); Table created. > SELECT AS FROM FROM AS SELECT; 217: Column (as) not found in any table in the query (or SLV is undefined). Error in line 1 Near character position 11 > SELECT AS AS FROM AS AS SELECT; 201: A syntax error has occurred. Error in line 1 Near character position 19 > I would be truly fascinated if the above actually works on DB2. So I renamed your tables and tried, again. I think this might be the SQL you want, which will at least execute in IDS 9.40.TC4. CREATE TABLE FROM (AS INT, SELECT INT); CREATE TABLE SELECT (AS INT, FROM INT); CREATE TABLE AS (AS INT, SELECT INT, FROM INT); SELECT SELECT FROM FROM; SELECT AS FROM SELECT AS FROM; SELECT FROM FROM SELECT; SELECT AS FROM FROM AS SELECT; SELECT AS AS FROM FROM AS AS SELECT; And if you enjoy that, tell me if this works in DB2, since it gives a -201 in IDS: SELECT FROM AS SELECT FROM AS SELECT; It might if "SELECT AS AS FROM AS AS SELECT;" works. And, yes, this was far more fun than reading yet another interminable thread on why IBM is [good|bad|indifferent] for Informix which will always be [better|worse|...

RE: informix market share #6
-----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of caver Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:24 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: informix market share >The difference for us is towfold: >1) We require relatively simple replication. For Informix, any E.R. >Replication requires IDS, but Oracle allows simple bi-direction table subsets in the Oracle equivalent of Informix Workgroup. You can do ER with Workgroup, it just requires an additional ER license. sending to informix-list ...

Re: informix market share #5
DA Morgan said: > > Michael Segel wrote: >> Serge Rielau wrote: >> >> >>>DA Morgan wrote: >>> >>>>Serge Rielau wrote: >>>>I didn't make the comparison ... I asked a question ... too nuanced >>>>for you? >>> >>>*lol* I quote: >>>"But wouldn't a more accurate comparison of IDS to Oracle be with >>>Oracle's Standard Edition?" >>>Daniel, I may not be a native speaker, but I know the different between >>>a question and suggestion. >>>"Wouldn't it be accurate to say that you are a hypocrite?" >>>.. not that I'm saying you are of course... ;-) >>> >> >> Seems kuje DA Morgan overspoke. >> OSE is limited to 4CPUs whether SMP or clustered. IDS? Not so limited. >> >> Seems that platform bigotry got in the way. >> >> Now if you want a better comparision to SQLServer, just look at Derby. >> ;-) > > Not at all. I never once said IDS was equivalent to Oracle SE: > Not EE. I asked a question that so far not one of you has had > the ability to answer. > > Try to the Carl Rove method if you like but the question still stands. > And so far the one or two things you have pointed two could just as > easily be responded two with one or two things Oracle SE does that IDS > can't even drea...

Web resources about - Re: 2xSMP vs RAC for failover - was Re: informix market share #2 - comp.databases.informix

Failover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
server, system, hardware component, or network. Failover and switchover are essentially the same operation, except that failover is automatic ...

Failover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
server, system, hardware component, or network. Failover and switchover are essentially the same operation, except that failover is automatic ...

Windows Server 2012 R2 failover clustering: Understanding quorum improvements
Since the October 2013 release of Windows Server 2012 R2, much has been said about the array of upgrades to the new cloud-aligned server operating ...

How to Ensure Fast Failover and DR for Enterprise Apps
Your applications are absolutely critical to you and your users. Now, learn how to ensure fast failover and disaster recovery for enterprise ...

VMware vCenter SRM 5.0 Extends DR Failover Protection
... data center operator still has enough control over the circumstances to ensure that the business processes will come up smoothly in the failover ...

Google's Transition from Single Datacenter, to Failover, to a Native Multihomed Architecture
... High-Availability at Massive Scale: Building Google’s Data Infrastructure for Ads . The main idea of the paper is that the typical failover ...

Failover: Messy Realities
People who don't live in operations can carry some funny misconceptions in their heads. Some of my personal faves: Just add some servers! I want ...

Windows Server - Failover Clustering - Network Load balancing (NLB)
Get product information, support, and news from Microsoft.

Leveraging Microsoft Azure as your disaster recovery/failover data center
... to replicate VMs to Azure. Microsoft has put out in Preview a technology that will completely change how we view disaster recovery and failover ...

What is a Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adapter anyway?
A question often asked is, "What is the Microsoft Cluster Virtual Adapter and what can I do with it?" The typical, and correct answer, is to ...