RE: Change database mode online using onmode in Informix #2

onmode -m takes the database server from quiescent or single-user mode to online mode.  To bring the server from off-line to on-line, you should just use the oninit command.

You could use the oninit -s to initialise shared memory and bring the server to single-user mode and then use onmode -m to bring it to multi-user mode.

By the way, you should not use onmode -ky to shut down the server unless you are in quiescent mode.  This will not perform a checkpoint and can, in some situations, lead to data loss or corruption.  I recommend shutting down with onmode -yuk.  This brings the database server to quiescent mode without waiting for users to finish their sessions. Their current transactions are rolled back, and their sessions are terminated.  A checkpoint is completed and then database server goes to offline mode and database server shared memory is removed.

The order of parameters is unimportant, but I use "onmode -yuk" because of the mnemonic value, at least for English speakers; say it out loud with me:  "onmode -yuk (yuck) can avoid a big mess."

I know its silly, but it sticks in the head.

Check the IBM Informix Dynamic Server Administrator's Reference: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/html/25122680/25122680tfrm.htm

Sincerely,

Christopher Coleman

Steering Committee President