Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31

Which version of IDS 7.31 do you have?

IDS doesnt have database-level backup/restore capability. I think you can
do dbspace-level backup/restore with onbar.

Thanks,
Uday.

             "Massoroto"
             <alanmas@gmail.co
             Sent by:                  informix-list@iiug.org
             owner-informix-li                                          cc
             st@iiug.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Database Backup/Restore using
             09/16/2005 08:13          Informix IDS 7.31
             AM

             Please respond to
                "Massoroto"

Hallo.

I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using
Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server
using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or
dbspace level.

My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a
problem. Using onload/onload returns problems..

Anybody may help me?

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of graycol.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pic28138.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of ecblank.gif]
sending to informix-list
0
Uday

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2
Hi, ontape (in older versions) has a limitation of 2 GB only if TAPEDEV is a file in the file system. If TAPEDEV is an actual tape device, then this restriction does not apply. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 17:11:49: > Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is > done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but > you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical > recovery. > > If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may > need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, > then import it back to the primary instance. > > There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum > TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning > multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some > manual intervention). sending to informix-list ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3
Hi, - you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these utility commands. - using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately. You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions. See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info. - to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar. However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and be able to restore them successfully. - there's no backing up of (separate) databases, neither with ontape nor with ON-Bar. - you can look into other utilities. Rather than onload/onunload (with the size of your databases) you may want to look into HPL (High Performance Loader) ? Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 15:13:38: > > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. > > My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a > problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. > > Anybody may help me? sending to informix-list ...

Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Hallo. I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or dbspace level. My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. Anybody may help me? Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical recovery. If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, then import it back to the primary instance. There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some manual intervention). Massoroto wrote: > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. IDS does not support database level archives and restores. The closest you can come is to isolate a database to one or more dedicated dbspaces, then with ontape you can perfo...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
David Williams wrote > > "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol@virgin.net> wrote in message > news:a3525a11.0401080308.64a1ed12@posting.google.com... > > Why ever would you want to run a cold restore unattended? > > > > Great laxative ... > > > > To create a reporting database once per week... > > Once all the ontape stuff is finished don't forget to > > a) Sit in a loop running onstat - and check the return > code each time.Wait for the server to reach quiescent > mode. This can take 45 mins. >...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #2
Christian Knappke wrote > > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote: > > > Here is one I prepared earlier --- > > > > onbar/ontape whatever .. > > FORCEOL=n > > until onstat - | grep "On-Line" > /dev/null > > do > > echo "Off line" # ; sleep 20 > > onstat - | grep "[BQ][lu][oi][ce][ks]" > /dev/null && ( echo > > "\nServ blokd" > > if [ x$FORCEOL = "xn" ] ; then > > echo "On...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #3
Thanks a lot ! My problem was the fact that I tried to restore on a Linux machine a backup made on a UNIX machine. The INFORMIX server version was the same. The problem was the OS, in fact. Backup with ontape is recommended only when the restore is made on the same machine. Carmen ----- Original Message ----- From: "S.Dhayanidhi" <sdhaya@hotmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:35 AM Subject: Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux > Here is my cute little code.. for u...

Re: Help:informix database backup/restore with netbackup agent.
Hi, the message "could not fork server connection, SQLCODE -25596" means that the server (IDS's oninit processes) could not be started, or they could be started but it was not possible to connect to them. The XBSA error then is the following error caused by the resulting abort. Check whether there are any "oninit" processes running for this instance after a restore attempt ("ps -ef | grep oninit" if you have only this one instance on this machine). If there are any, remove them, remove possibly left-over shared memory segments ("ipcrm ....

database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
Please help! I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name y n n n file_name The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore failed - function read archive backup failed code 1 errno 2". Has anyone any idea how do I have write the commad do or what environement variables do I have to set for that the restore work properly? Thans a lot, Carmen sending to informix-list "Carmen Constantinescu" ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40
If the indices in 7.x are not detached then you will need quite a bit More space for 9.x as the indices will detach. You need to allow for the index extents, the size is something like (keysize + 9 /rowsize) * table_extent_size Paul Watson VIS iTV Ltd Tel: 01382 341074 Fax: 01382 341045 Mob: 07818 003457 -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Sent: 28 September 2004 23:05 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 I would love a...

Re: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 #2
Indexes are deteched in 9, while they are attached in 7 - which means that if your non fragmented table has n indexes, you end up with n+1 partition pages and n+1 initial extents, which leads to the sort of space consumption that you have seen (YMMV: depends on how many indexes per table, table size, key lengths, index page fullness, etc - there's no definite formula to calculate the space requirement increase). This has also implications on memory usage, specifically rsam pool. If you want to revert to a 7 like behaiviour, DEFAULT_ATTACH is your friend, or plan your extent...

RE: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 #3
And then there is the extent size migration problem. Did you have extent sizes set for IDS 7.31? Did you use dbexport -ss? Are you using varchars etc? We migrated a 1.9 Gbyte database from 9.2 to 9.4 and the size increased to about 8Gbyte. When I did a thorough check I discovered that the 9.4 system generated first and next extent sizes if they aren't provided. And for all varchar type columns it assumed the maximum length of the varchar when calculating the row size and therefore exaggerated extent sizes. Do the maths on extent sizes and compare them to what you h...

Re: Could not bfget in Informix IDS 7.31
Hi, it is a bit difficult to tell in hindsight what has happened first, the chunk coming down or the corruption of data. You could maybe try to figure it out by comparing times in the IDS message log, possibly with times in AF-files ... I would assume that the chunks came down due to some serious problem with the I/O (disk crash ?, controller problem ?, ...). If the problem was transient (e.g. disk array without power during IDS startup), it would also have caused the chunks to come down. To fix it, you may have to repair some hardware. Afterwards, you probably should restore the dbspaces containing the down chunks. This can be a warm restore. For this you need a backup/archive from before the problem first appeared. With that most probably the corrupt data problem will also be fixed (unless a corruption existed already before the backup and was not detected by the backup, which woudl be a rather rare scenario). This is the normal way to fix such problems. If you do not (or cannot) go this way, then you probably should consider contacting IBM Informix Technical Support to find other possibilities to fix this. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 05.10.2005 11:54:52: > Hi. > > I have a problem with some tables in IDS 7.31 whose data seem to be > corrupted. When I do a Check on the table mark_translation it appears: >...

Help:informix database backup/restore with netbackup agent.
Hi, I am using Informix netbackup agent for backup and restore. The backup is done by using onbar -b -w However the restore failed by onbar -r -p or onbar -r -p -w. Is it LTAPDEV and TAPEDEV set to /dev/null causing the problem? Do I need to delete or "damage" the database before I do a restore? Any comment will be appreicated. Thanks Bin Bin Zhu wrote: > Hi, > > I am using Informix netbackup agent for backup and restore. > > The backup is done by using onbar -b -w > > However the restore failed by onbar -r -p or onb...

Re: Long transaction aborted in Informix IDS 7.31
Hi. Firstly you should check how many log files has your instance (onstat -l, last line). If it has less than LOGFILES, you should add as many log files as you need. If not, you should set LOGFILES to a higher value and then add logfiles. By the way, if your database has 100 logfiles, it has 200 Mb, enought to handle 300,00 rows, I think. Anyway, if your task will run just once, you can cut your load file un several pieces (using head and tail on Unix environment) to solve it with no DBA work. Later Omar Muqoz ----- Original Message ----- From: "Massoroto" <alanmas@gmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 8:39 AM Subject: Long transaction aborted in Informix IDS 7.31 > Hi, > > I am running under Informix IDS 7.31 under Solaris 9 a data load on a > database with logging mode actived (transactional). > > Qhen I execute my load query appears the following message: > > 458: Long transaction aborted. > 847: Error in load file line 329334. > > It seems a problem with the configurable properties of my ONCONFIG > file. Some of the properties from the ONCONFIG file are: > > # Logical Log Configuration > > LOGFILES 100 # Number of logical log files > LOGSIZE 2000 # Logical log size (Kbytes) > > # Shared Memory Parameters > > LOCKS 500000 # Maximum number of locks > BUFFERS...

Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server
KW Foo wrote: > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > application and the data and restore to another server. > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server using > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to another > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the Informix > chunk directories after we shutdown the Informix using "onmode -ky". > > We a...

Database backup without using 'backup database'
Suppose a running database (DB2 UDB) with all containers being SMS based (file system as JFS or JFS2 on AIX). How to make a backup (online) by doing a file system backup and not a database backup? Could this be done with: db2 set write suspend for db backup file system data used by db2 data and logs db2 set write resume for db with the purpose of doing: restore of db2 file system data on another system startup and usage of database. The questions are: - will the restored database be consistent after start/restart - what additional resources are taken be...

RE: Change database mode online using onmode in Informix
Onmode -m only works if the engine is already started. Try oninit (no parameters, if you want to go directly to online mode), instead. --EEM > -----Original Message----- > From: alanmas@gmail.com [mailto:alanmas@gmail.com] > Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:37 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Change database mode online using onmode in Informix > > Hi. > > I would like to put 'Online' and 'Offline' via command an IDS server. > I tried put a serer Offline by typing: onmode -ky and it works. > > informix@FO:/informix$ export INFORMIXSERVER=backup_source > informix@FO:/informix$ onmode -ky > > However I tried to put it Online again by typing: onmode -my but it > does not work. Does anybody knows wheter the expression is correct or > whether the server must be first in transient mode or why it does not > work? > > informix@FO:/informix$ onmode -ky > shared memory not initialized for INFORMIXSERVER 'backup_source' > > Thank you all. sending to informix-list ...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #3
Did You re-install Informix executables ('installserver' script) after transferring it to anather machine with Solaris utility? If not, please, do that. Also, do nor forget about 'RUNASROOT' script. ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin Senior Database Administrator > -----Original Message----- > From: KW Foo [mailto:hovid@streamyx.com] > Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 5:38 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server > using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > > > > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the > Informix > > > ch...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #2
Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing memory Verify with ipcs -m Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release notes ( if should not impact, but you never know) If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE -----Message d'origine----- De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 � : informix-list@iiug.org Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server Check the release note in $INFO...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server
Neil Truby wrote: > "Carmen Constantinescu" <carmen@wylog.com> wrote in message > news:bthi4v$ujm$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > >>Please help! >> >>I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : >> $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name >> >> y >> n >> n >> n >> file_name >> >>The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore >>failed - function read archive...

Web resources about - Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 - comp.databases.informix

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...