Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2

Hi,

ontape (in older versions) has a limitation of 2 GB only if TAPEDEV is
a file in the file system.
If TAPEDEV is an actual tape device, then this restriction does not apply.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin Fuerderer
IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany

owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 17:11:49:
> Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces?  Recovery is
> done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but
> you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical
> recovery.
>
> If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may
> need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database,
> then import it back to the primary instance.
>
> There's no problem with databases over 2GB.  Ontape has a maximum
> TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning
> multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some
> manual intervention).
sending to informix-list
0
Martin

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Which version of IDS 7.31 do you have? IDS doesnt have database-level backup/restore capability. I think you can do dbspace-level backup/restore with onbar. Thanks, Uday. "Massoroto" <alanmas@gmail.co m> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org owner-informix-li cc st@iiug.org Subject Database Backup/Restore using 09/16/2005 08:13 Informix IDS 7.31 AM Please respond to "Massoroto" Hallo. I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or dbspace level. My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. Anybody may help me? [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of graycol.gif] [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pic28138.gif] [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of ecblank.gif] sending to informix-list ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3
Hi, - you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these utility commands. - using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately. You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions. See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info. - to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar. However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and be able to restore them successfully. - there's no backing up of (separate) databases, neither with ontape nor with ON-Bar. - you can look into other utilities. Rather than onload/onunload (with the size of your databases) you may want to look into HPL (High Performance Loader) ? Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 15:13:38: > > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. > > My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a > problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. > > Anybody may help me? sending to informix-list ...

Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Hallo. I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or dbspace level. My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. Anybody may help me? Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical recovery. If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, then import it back to the primary instance. There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some manual intervention). Massoroto wrote: > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. IDS does not support database level archives and restores. The closest you can come is to isolate a database to one or more dedicated dbspaces, then with ontape you can perfo...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #2
Christian Knappke wrote > > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote: > > > Here is one I prepared earlier --- > > > > onbar/ontape whatever .. > > FORCEOL=n > > until onstat - | grep "On-Line" > /dev/null > > do > > echo "Off line" # ; sleep 20 > > onstat - | grep "[BQ][lu][oi][ce][ks]" > /dev/null && ( echo > > "\nServ blokd" > > if [ x$FORCEOL = "xn" ] ; then > > echo "On...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
David Williams wrote > > "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol@virgin.net> wrote in message > news:a3525a11.0401080308.64a1ed12@posting.google.com... > > Why ever would you want to run a cold restore unattended? > > > > Great laxative ... > > > > To create a reporting database once per week... > > Once all the ontape stuff is finished don't forget to > > a) Sit in a loop running onstat - and check the return > code each time.Wait for the server to reach quiescent > mode. This can take 45 mins. >...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #3
Thanks a lot ! My problem was the fact that I tried to restore on a Linux machine a backup made on a UNIX machine. The INFORMIX server version was the same. The problem was the OS, in fact. Backup with ontape is recommended only when the restore is made on the same machine. Carmen ----- Original Message ----- From: "S.Dhayanidhi" <sdhaya@hotmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:35 AM Subject: Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux > Here is my cute little code.. for u...

Re: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 #2
Indexes are deteched in 9, while they are attached in 7 - which means that if your non fragmented table has n indexes, you end up with n+1 partition pages and n+1 initial extents, which leads to the sort of space consumption that you have seen (YMMV: depends on how many indexes per table, table size, key lengths, index page fullness, etc - there's no definite formula to calculate the space requirement increase). This has also implications on memory usage, specifically rsam pool. If you want to revert to a 7 like behaiviour, DEFAULT_ATTACH is your friend, or plan your extent...

Trouble restoring 7.2.1 database into 7.4.2 database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C41DC9.42906D90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have table defined as follows: create table vm_emailjob ( JobId serial not null, MessageId varchar(128) not null, Recipients bytea not null, SendTime bigint not null, QueuedTime bigint not null, RetryCount integer ...

Re: Help:informix database backup/restore with netbackup agent.
Hi, the message "could not fork server connection, SQLCODE -25596" means that the server (IDS's oninit processes) could not be started, or they could be started but it was not possible to connect to them. The XBSA error then is the following error caused by the resulting abort. Check whether there are any "oninit" processes running for this instance after a restore attempt ("ps -ef | grep oninit" if you have only this one instance on this machine). If there are any, remove them, remove possibly left-over shared memory segments ("ipcrm ....

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #2
Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing memory Verify with ipcs -m Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release notes ( if should not impact, but you never know) If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE -----Message d'origine----- De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 � : informix-list@iiug.org Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server Check the release note in $INFO...

RE: Change database mode online using onmode in Informix #2
onmode -m takes the database server from quiescent or single-user mode to online mode. To bring the server from off-line to on-line, you should just use the oninit command. You could use the oninit -s to initialise shared memory and bring the server to single-user mode and then use onmode -m to bring it to multi-user mode. By the way, you should not use onmode -ky to shut down the server unless you are in quiescent mode. This will not perform a checkpoint and can, in some situations, lead to data loss or corruption. I recommend shutting down with onmode -yuk. This brings the database server to quiescent mode without waiting for users to finish their sessions. Their current transactions are rolled back, and their sessions are terminated. A checkpoint is completed and then database server goes to offline mode and database server shared memory is removed. The order of parameters is unimportant, but I use "onmode -yuk" because of the mnemonic value, at least for English speakers; say it out loud with me: "onmode -yuk (yuck) can avoid a big mess." I know its silly, but it sticks in the head. Check the IBM Informix Dynamic Server Administrator's Reference: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/html/25122680/25122680tfrm.htm Sincerely, Christopher Coleman Steering Committee President Kansas City Informix Users Group www.iiug.org/kciug Database Analyst Pharmacy Division Mediware Information Systems, Inc. -----Original ...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #2
Paul Watson wrote: > something like > > onstat -r <<EOF > y > n > n > n > EOF > > should work, but I wouldn't use it on a production system Which is exactly the same as the example given, except for the obvious command error and the missing initial <CR> to the enter tape and press RETURN prompt. However, I am not convinced of the order of the answers, and I don't have ontape to hand to test..., on dev or prod. So I agree, simply run ontape -r and answer the prompts manually. Cheers, -- Mark. +-------------...

database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
Please help! I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name y n n n file_name The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore failed - function read archive backup failed code 1 errno 2". Has anyone any idea how do I have write the commad do or what environement variables do I have to set for that the restore work properly? Thans a lot, Carmen sending to informix-list "Carmen Constantinescu" ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

RE: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40
If the indices in 7.x are not detached then you will need quite a bit More space for 9.x as the indices will detach. You need to allow for the index extents, the size is something like (keysize + 9 /rowsize) * table_extent_size Paul Watson VIS iTV Ltd Tel: 01382 341074 Fax: 01382 341045 Mob: 07818 003457 -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Sent: 28 September 2004 23:05 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 I would love a...

RE: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 #3
And then there is the extent size migration problem. Did you have extent sizes set for IDS 7.31? Did you use dbexport -ss? Are you using varchars etc? We migrated a 1.9 Gbyte database from 9.2 to 9.4 and the size increased to about 8Gbyte. When I did a thorough check I discovered that the 9.4 system generated first and next extent sizes if they aren't provided. And for all varchar type columns it assumed the maximum length of the varchar when calculating the row size and therefore exaggerated extent sizes. Do the maths on extent sizes and compare them to what you h...

Re: Start informix database #2
Hi.. This is an example INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$INFORMIXDIR/bin INFORMIXSERVER=coldecon_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.coldecon export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit INFORMIXSERVER=opera_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.opera export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit --- madiego <madiego@qf21.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The > server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default...

RE: Informix database creation #2
Hi The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk should have the offset as 600501 . Regards Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d Register in India's No 1 Matrimony. sending to informix-list "Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgsam4$i9q$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Hi > The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk > sh...

Re: Could not bfget in Informix IDS 7.31
Hi, it is a bit difficult to tell in hindsight what has happened first, the chunk coming down or the corruption of data. You could maybe try to figure it out by comparing times in the IDS message log, possibly with times in AF-files ... I would assume that the chunks came down due to some serious problem with the I/O (disk crash ?, controller problem ?, ...). If the problem was transient (e.g. disk array without power during IDS startup), it would also have caused the chunks to come down. To fix it, you may have to repair some hardware. Afterwards, you probably should restore the dbspaces containing the down chunks. This can be a warm restore. For this you need a backup/archive from before the problem first appeared. With that most probably the corrupt data problem will also be fixed (unless a corruption existed already before the backup and was not detected by the backup, which woudl be a rather rare scenario). This is the normal way to fix such problems. If you do not (or cannot) go this way, then you probably should consider contacting IBM Informix Technical Support to find other possibilities to fix this. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 05.10.2005 11:54:52: > Hi. > > I have a problem with some tables in IDS 7.31 whose data seem to be > corrupted. When I do a Check on the table mark_translation it appears: >...

Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #2
I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same schema(=table definition). Regards, Uday. "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" To <Aashishsr@hcl.in informix-list@iiug.org > cc Sent by: owner-informix-li Subject st@iiug.org Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases 12/09/2005 07:01 AM Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix. Any help will be appreciated. Th...

Web resources about - Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2 - comp.databases.informix

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...