Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3

Hi,

- you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these
  utility commands.

- using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately.
  You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions.
  See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info.

- to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar.
  However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager
  (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to
  backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and
  be able to restore them successfully.

- there's no backing up of (separate) databases, neither with ontape
  nor with ON-Bar.

- you can look into other utilities. Rather than onload/onunload (with the
  size of your databases) you may want to look into HPL (High Performance
  Loader) ?

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin Fuerderer
IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany

owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 15:13:38:

> Hallo.
>
> I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using
> Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server
> using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or
> dbspace level.
>
> My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a
> problem. Using onload/onload returns problems..
>
> Anybody may help me?
sending to informix-list
0
Martin

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Which version of IDS 7.31 do you have? IDS doesnt have database-level backup/restore capability. I think you can do dbspace-level backup/restore with onbar. Thanks, Uday. "Massoroto" <alanmas@gmail.co m> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org owner-informix-li cc st@iiug.org Subject Database Backup/Restore using 09/16/2005 08:13 Informix IDS 7.31 AM Please respond to "Massoroto" Hallo. I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or dbspace level. My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. Anybody may help me? [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of graycol.gif] [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pic28138.gif] [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of ecblank.gif] sending to informix-list ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2
Hi, ontape (in older versions) has a limitation of 2 GB only if TAPEDEV is a file in the file system. If TAPEDEV is an actual tape device, then this restriction does not apply. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 17:11:49: > Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is > done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but > you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical > recovery. > > If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may > need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, > then import it back to the primary instance. > > There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum > TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning > multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some > manual intervention). sending to informix-list ...

Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Hallo. I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or dbspace level. My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. Anybody may help me? Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical recovery. If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, then import it back to the primary instance. There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some manual intervention). Massoroto wrote: > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. IDS does not support database level archives and restores. The closest you can come is to isolate a database to one or more dedicated dbspaces, then with ontape you can perfo...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #3
Thanks a lot ! My problem was the fact that I tried to restore on a Linux machine a backup made on a UNIX machine. The INFORMIX server version was the same. The problem was the OS, in fact. Backup with ontape is recommended only when the restore is made on the same machine. Carmen ----- Original Message ----- From: "S.Dhayanidhi" <sdhaya@hotmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:35 AM Subject: Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux > Here is my cute little code.. for u...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
David Williams wrote > > "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol@virgin.net> wrote in message > news:a3525a11.0401080308.64a1ed12@posting.google.com... > > Why ever would you want to run a cold restore unattended? > > > > Great laxative ... > > > > To create a reporting database once per week... > > Once all the ontape stuff is finished don't forget to > > a) Sit in a loop running onstat - and check the return > code each time.Wait for the server to reach quiescent > mode. This can take 45 mins. >...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #2
Christian Knappke wrote > > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote: > > > Here is one I prepared earlier --- > > > > onbar/ontape whatever .. > > FORCEOL=n > > until onstat - | grep "On-Line" > /dev/null > > do > > echo "Off line" # ; sleep 20 > > onstat - | grep "[BQ][lu][oi][ce][ks]" > /dev/null && ( echo > > "\nServ blokd" > > if [ x$FORCEOL = "xn" ] ; then > > echo "On...

RE: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 #3
And then there is the extent size migration problem. Did you have extent sizes set for IDS 7.31? Did you use dbexport -ss? Are you using varchars etc? We migrated a 1.9 Gbyte database from 9.2 to 9.4 and the size increased to about 8Gbyte. When I did a thorough check I discovered that the 9.4 system generated first and next extent sizes if they aren't provided. And for all varchar type columns it assumed the maximum length of the varchar when calculating the row size and therefore exaggerated extent sizes. Do the maths on extent sizes and compare them to what you h...

Informix 9.4 restore using SQL BT 3.7 (64 bit) fails after upgrade of Informix to 9.4 from 9.3
I am getting the following error when I run the restore: dm_write_disk_object_obsi: WRITE for file (Obsi Pipe) (filedes (0) length (31388)) failed. OBSI SDK Error (Bad file number (9)) Has anyone seen this error before? The restore of the rootdbspace ran fine..Anyone know of any known issues performing restores after upgrading from Informix 9.3 to 9.4. This is on a Solaris box and the Backup vendor is Syncsort Backup Express ...

Re: Help:informix database backup/restore with netbackup agent.
Hi, the message "could not fork server connection, SQLCODE -25596" means that the server (IDS's oninit processes) could not be started, or they could be started but it was not possible to connect to them. The XBSA error then is the following error caused by the resulting abort. Check whether there are any "oninit" processes running for this instance after a restore attempt ("ps -ef | grep oninit" if you have only this one instance on this machine). If there are any, remove them, remove possibly left-over shared memory segments ("ipcrm ....

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #3
Did You re-install Informix executables ('installserver' script) after transferring it to anather machine with Solaris utility? If not, please, do that. Also, do nor forget about 'RUNASROOT' script. ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin Senior Database Administrator > -----Original Message----- > From: KW Foo [mailto:hovid@streamyx.com] > Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 5:38 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server > using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > > > > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the > Informix > > > ch...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #3
David Williams wrote: > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote in message news:btmcr4> That > will make it a lot tidier, should be able to use a case statement. > >>I will revise next week sometime. >> > > > http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk/ifaq06.htm#6.33 > > 6.33 What status codes does onstat return? > On 21st May 1998 mdstock@informix.com (Mark D. Stock) wrote:- > > As a point of interest, you can check the current mode of IDS by checking > the status ($?) after onstat -. > > The values r...

database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
Please help! I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name y n n n file_name The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore failed - function read archive backup failed code 1 errno 2". Has anyone any idea how do I have write the commad do or what environement variables do I have to set for that the restore work properly? Thans a lot, Carmen sending to informix-list "Carmen Constantinescu" ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40
If the indices in 7.x are not detached then you will need quite a bit More space for 9.x as the indices will detach. You need to allow for the index extents, the size is something like (keysize + 9 /rowsize) * table_extent_size Paul Watson VIS iTV Ltd Tel: 01382 341074 Fax: 01382 341045 Mob: 07818 003457 -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Sent: 28 September 2004 23:05 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 I would love a...

Re: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 #2
Indexes are deteched in 9, while they are attached in 7 - which means that if your non fragmented table has n indexes, you end up with n+1 partition pages and n+1 initial extents, which leads to the sort of space consumption that you have seen (YMMV: depends on how many indexes per table, table size, key lengths, index page fullness, etc - there's no definite formula to calculate the space requirement increase). This has also implications on memory usage, specifically rsam pool. If you want to revert to a 7 like behaiviour, DEFAULT_ATTACH is your friend, or plan your extent...

Re: Informix database creation #3
Seweryn: When you run "onstat -d" - it gives size in terms of blocks (pagesize). It can be 2K or 4 K depending upon OS. You can find out the page size using "onstat -b | grep 'buffer' | awk '{print $10}' " - this will return page size in BYTES . When you create the dbspace using onspaces - you need to mention the size of the dbspace interms of "KBytes" example: In your OS, if you have Page size 2K - then you need to start the offset from 1200000, you can go only upto 800000 KB size of dbspace due to 2GB size limitation. try thi...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #3
Hi Simmon and Superboer thanks you for your suggestions. I tried out the RAW table and it works like a charm, it was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Regards, Aash -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [ mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org <mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org> ]On Behalf Of Simmons, Keith Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:41 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Aash You don't tell us which version of IDS you are using, however have you investigated RAW tables (if they are avaialable in your version). They can be created in logged or unlogged dbs and can allow the type of access you require. RAW tables cannot be indexed or have constraints, but the table can be changed to STANDARD (very quickly) and then be indexed. You will not need any intermediate files, just INSERT INTO 'raw_table' SELECT FROM 'source_table'. Keith -----Original Message----- From: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai [ mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in <mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in> ] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 13:01 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The prob...

writing a blob into database (informix 7.3)
We have Informix 7.3 here and for various reasons we will be stuck with it for a while. I need to write some graphical objects into a database table and I was just assessing the feasibility but failed at the first hurdle <sigh>. I created the simplest of tables, like this one below: create table tt_pics ( id char(10), pic byte in blobspace ) I then tried two ways of putting things into this table: Method 1: using the LOAD command The manual was very terse about loading stuff into a table with a byte column. So I just took a shoot in the dark and...

Re: Could not bfget in Informix IDS 7.31
Hi, it is a bit difficult to tell in hindsight what has happened first, the chunk coming down or the corruption of data. You could maybe try to figure it out by comparing times in the IDS message log, possibly with times in AF-files ... I would assume that the chunks came down due to some serious problem with the I/O (disk crash ?, controller problem ?, ...). If the problem was transient (e.g. disk array without power during IDS startup), it would also have caused the chunks to come down. To fix it, you may have to repair some hardware. Afterwards, you probably should restore the dbspaces containing the down chunks. This can be a warm restore. For this you need a backup/archive from before the problem first appeared. With that most probably the corrupt data problem will also be fixed (unless a corruption existed already before the backup and was not detected by the backup, which woudl be a rather rare scenario). This is the normal way to fix such problems. If you do not (or cannot) go this way, then you probably should consider contacting IBM Informix Technical Support to find other possibilities to fix this. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 05.10.2005 11:54:52: > Hi. > > I have a problem with some tables in IDS 7.31 whose data seem to be > corrupted. When I do a Check on the table mark_translation it appears: >...

Cpying database data from IDS 7.31 (Sun OS 2.6) to IDS 9.4 Linux (RH7.3)
Hi, I have installed a Linux box with IDS 9.4 but all the data I need is in the IDS 7.31. What is the best way to copy the data between those two databases (schema, tables but not the layout of dbspaces). Thank you. Efim Dimenstein wrote: > Hi, > I have installed a Linux box with IDS 9.4 but all the data I need > is in the IDS 7.31. What is the best way to copy the data between > those two databases (schema, tables but not the layout of dbspaces). dbexport/dbimport? -- "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa g...

RE: Moving Data from Informix SE 4 to Informix SE 7 #3

Web resources about - Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3 - comp.databases.informix

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...