From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]
On Behalf Of Bruce Truter
Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36
To: informix-list@iiug.org
Subject: Do I have to have an Informix Database?

I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl
compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this
means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is
there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something
that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl!

sending to informix-list
0
malcolm

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

Re: Start informix database
May be you have more than one Informix's instances and your missed database was not created in the instance where you are looking for it. Send us the content of your sqlhosts file and the result of : echo $INFORMIXSERVER Regards ----- Original Message ----- From: "madiego" <madiego@qf21.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 1:04 PM Subject: Start informix database > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default database but not > the database that I created.I haven't errors. > The configuration of INFORMIXDIR, INFROMIXSERVER, sqlhosts and > onconfig is correct. > > What can I do? > > Regards, > sending to informix-list ...

RE: Informix database creation
The Raw device of 17Gb will not be useful to you on 7.31.FD6. You need to create then at 2Gb (maximum sizes are listed in your release notes), or upgrade to 9.40. Check onstat -d again...it suggests you have successfully created that dbspace and are trying to create it again. MW > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of Seweryn > Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2003 7:57 a.m. > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Informix database creation > > > Hi all, > > I'm ...

RE: Rowids in Informix Databases
Vijay All the tables will have rowids (they must !!), they are not visible on a normal table view but can be returned by query. If a table is fragmented (but only if (v7.31) ) it can be created WITH ROWIDS which will create a separate rowid column. Why do you need rowids? They tend to be a fudge to cover up poor or inadequate database design. Don't you have lots of lovely, simple (single column) primary keys to use to identify your records. Keith=20 -> -----Original Message----- -> From: Vijay Kumar [mailto:rudrappa@india.hp.com] -> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 12:33 PM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: Rowids in Informix Databases ->=20 ->=20 -> Hi All, ->=20 -> We have created a database in informix 9.40 on HP=20 -> Itanium machine. -> The tables doesn't have rowid column. Is there way to create=20 -> the database -> such that all the tables have rowid column? Please let me=20 -> know regarding -> this. Thanks in advance. ->=20 -> Regards, -> Vijay Kumar ->=20 -> sending to informix-list ->=20 ***************************************************************************= ******* This message is sent in strict confidence for the addressee only. It may contain legally privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advi...

Re: Benchmarking for Informix database
Peter Chang said: > > I was wondering if there are any benchmarking tool that I can use to > calculate TPM of an Informix database on a particular server? I seem to recall that it's possible to download the TPC benchmarks from www.tpc.org ...? But the best benchmark is your own application and something like a load runner robot. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed sending to informix-list ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Storing password in informix database
If you are on 9.x versions (with the WEB Datablade installed) , you can use a function called webpwcrypt which will encrypt your password and store it in the database. Otherwise, I would assume you'll have to write your own algorithm to do the same. The usage is as follows: select webpwcrypt(password,2194) from user where the second parameter is some kind of a seed# to generate the encrypted password. HTH. Thanx much, Rajib Sarkar Advisory Support Engineer (RAS) IBM Data Management Group Ph : (602)-217-2100 Fax: (602)-217-2100 As long as you derive ...

[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch
I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My iLogin works fine, but I cannot set up the ODBC driver, I keep getting the message "[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch" I cannot leave it blank, under environment, and I cannot find any matching pairs. Can somebody help. XP client and Linux server This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0046812965257177_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" I am guessing that you are using 10.00.xC4 or the version where you have fix for 171156 IDS defect. Basically this bug fix will enforce the correct database locale setting from client (i.e. ODBC etc). If you supply the (default is en_US.1252) correct database locale(that is actually the database created with) in ODBC DSN(or your connection string) then your connection should go through. However in ODBC side as well we have the corresponding fix in place. Ask your customer support to get the patch of ODBC defects 175110 and 175746. These ODBC fixes will automatically take care of getting the correct database locale value for the given database (through DSN). Thanks & Regards -Shesh bobkot@gmail.com Sent by: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org 05/23/2006 05:58 PM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.T...

Re: Start informix database #2
Hi.. This is an example INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$INFORMIXDIR/bin INFORMIXSERVER=coldecon_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.coldecon export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit INFORMIXSERVER=opera_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.opera export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit --- madiego <madiego@qf21.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The > server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default > database but not > the database that I created.I haven't errors. > The configuration of INFORMIXDIR, INFROMIXSERVER, > sqlhosts and > onconfig is correct. > > What can I do? > > Regards, > __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail sending to informix-list ...

RE: change the owner of a database in informix
Don�t post HTML. You do not have a choice on the owner of a database. If you want to change the owner of a table, index, etc drop and recreate it. MW ________________________________ From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Muthana.AL-Temimi@tu-harburg.hamburg.de Sent: Thursday, 3 February 2005 3:49 a.m. To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: change the owner of a database in informix Hello there, i would like to change the owner of the database in Informix: for example: I have the database called �SOSPOS� and the owner of it the user �informix�. Now I would like to change it to another name: For example: �sosx� Regards, Muthana ------------------------------------------------------------------- Muthana AL-Temimi TUHH - IuK-Referat Schlo�m�hlendamm 32 21073 Hamburg Email: muthana.al-temimi@tu-harburg.hamburg.de Tel.: 040 428 78 3294 EFax: 040 4279 35 160 sending to informix-list The owner of a database is the user who created the database. So you have to drop and recreate the database. As user informix: $ dbexport -ss sospos then drop the database ($ echo 'drop database sospos|dbaccess -) Change to user sosx (su sosx) $ dbimport sospos That's it! Murray Wood (IList) wrote: > Don�t post HTML. > ...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases
Aash You don't tell us which version of IDS you are using, however have you investigated RAW tables (if they are avaialable in your version). They can be created in logged or unlogged dbs and can allow the type of access you require. RAW tables cannot be indexed or have constraints, but the table can be changed to STANDARD (very quickly) and then be indexed. You will not need any intermediate files, just INSERT INTO 'raw_table' SELECT FROM 'source_table'. Keith -----Original Message----- From: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai [mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 13:01 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards, Aash sending to informix-...

Do I have to have an Informix Database?
I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! Bruce Truter wrote: > I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl > compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means > I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there > anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will > create its own database) > ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! Investigate: * 4Js (http://www.fourjs.com/) * Querix (http://www.querix.com/) * Aubit4GL (http://aubit4gl.sourceforge.net/) -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2003.04 -- http://dbi.perl.org/ Bruce Truter wrote: > I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every > 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess > this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with > 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially > something that will create its own database) > ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! 4JS comp...

Web resources about - RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database? - comp.databases.informix

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...

8 Reasons to Consider Open-Source Databases for Your Business
Historically, costly commercial database systems dominated the data management landscape. But open-source database system adoption is growing ...