From: vpreatr@gmail.com [mailto:vpreatr@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:32
To: informix-list@iiug.org
Subject: Re: Help needed in transfering or backing up/restoring Informix
database via ODBC.

David,
Unfortunately I only have ODBC access, the server is not configured to
trust another INFORMIXSERVER nor can I add trust via allow.hosts (or
..rhosts) due to the level of file corruption on the failing server.
Typically I'd access the server via DBACCESS and DBEXPORT remotely
providing a trust relationship was established with the source location
(workstation/server IP, username, etc. ) - that isn't the case here. If
I attempt to access the server with such tools, I'm greeted with a
"Client host or user (myid@myaddress.com) is not trusted by the
server."

So basically unless a utility exists with the capability of dbexport or
dbcopy that can bypass or ignore the client host/use trust
restrictions; I'm limited solely to ODBC and the server is truly on
borrowed time. (If the Informix server were to be shutdown, it would
never start again due to the level of corruption at the filesystem
level)

Thanks!

david@smooth1.co.uk wrote:
> Go to www.iiug.org and the Software section. Get Art Kagels utils_ak2
> and use dbcopy from there to copy the data.
>
> The new tables should not have contraints or indexes on them whilst the
> copy is happening.

********************
This message is sent in strict confidence for the addressee only.  It may c=
ontain legally privileged information.  The contents are not to be disclose=
d to anyone other than the addressee.  Unauthorised recipients are requeste=
d to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately of =
any error in transmission.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the =
presence of computer viruses, however we cannot guarantee that this message=
 is free from such problems.
********************
0
Simmons

Hi Keith,
I've tried a couple different configuration options between servers
in attempt to access the failing server via DBACCESS and/or DBEXPORT,
all return with a -956 error; same user names, passwords and similar
configurations were attempted; a typical resolve would be a simple
addition to the .rhosts file in the /home/root (and possibly
/home/informix) directories; due to the filesystem damage that isn't
an option;  FTP, SU, VI or similar type tools isn't executable
(library corruption). Not to mention the server is off-site, so command
line access has been limited telephone communication; the filesystem is
that badly damaged and I until a backup/export of the data is taken and
confirmed; I'm avoiding any attempts to correct and/or address the
filesystem damage as the server may never come online again. :(

Ultimately the filesystem hard drive is a total loss, Informix is
online as it's all inclusive in memory and the chunks are on a
separate drive.

Well, I'm back to editing long statement .SQL files (truncating them
for Informix usage); thank you (to everyone) that has replied; any
additional thoughts, ideas are certainly welcomed!

Thanks!

Simmons, Keith wrote:
> VP
>
> usually if you run dbaccess and the Connect to a non-trusted host
> you get a username/password dialogue. If you enter a valid c
> combination for he target host you should be able to get access
> (unless your assword/sshadow files are corrupt).
>
> Keith

0
vpreatr
6/7/2006 11:36:45 AM
I've since established DBACESS via TCP by specifying name and password;
however I'm unable to use any of the tools needed; i.e. dbexport,
myschema, myexport - due to the trust error encountered (-956).

Is there a tool similar to dbexport or myexport that allows specifying
hostname, username and password.

Thanks!

0
vpreatr
6/7/2006 1:37:31 PM
UNLOAD TO "filename"
SELECT * FROM <tablename>

or to generate the unload statements you could run

SELECT "UNLOAD TO " || TRIM(tabname) ".unl SELECT * FROM " || tabname
FROM systable
WHERE tabid >= 100

save the output in a file and run the file (you may need to remove the
column heading "expression")

vpreatr@gmail.com wrote:
> I've since established DBACESS via TCP by specifying name and password;
> however I'm unable to use any of the tools needed; i.e. dbexport,
> myschema, myexport - due to the trust error encountered (-956).
>
> Is there a tool similar to dbexport or myexport that allows specifying
> hostname, username and password.
>
> Thanks!

0
scottishpoet
6/7/2006 1:48:31 PM
scottishpoet wrote:
> UNLOAD TO "filename"
> SELECT * FROM <tablename>
>
> or to generate the unload statements you could run
>
> SELECT "UNLOAD TO " || TRIM(tabname) ".unl SELECT * FROM " || tabname
> FROM systable
> WHERE tabid >= 100
>
> save the output in a file and run the file (you may need to remove the
> column heading "expression")

Ooops

systables not systable

0
scottishpoet
6/7/2006 1:53:43 PM
scottishpoet,
Are you using sqlcmd to perform the following:

SELECT "UNLOAD TO " || TRIM(tabname) ".unl SELECT * FROM " || tabname
FROM systables
WHERE tabid >= 100

Thanks!

scottishpoet wrote:
> scottishpoet wrote:
> > UNLOAD TO "filename"
> > SELECT * FROM <tablename>
> >
> > or to generate the unload statements you could run
> >
> > SELECT "UNLOAD TO " || TRIM(tabname) ".unl SELECT * FROM " || tabname

0
vpreatr

Help needed in transfering or backing up/restoring Informix database via ODBC.
I've recently encountered a full file system failure on my Informix server, it's running Informix IDS 9.20 (Linux); access to the Informix tools is not available, changing the allow.hosts file isn't an option (as the file system is damaged); otherwise I'd setup remote access (i.e. dbaccess/dbexport, etc.) - presently Informix is online, the dbspace's and databases have yet to be compromised. So here's the situation, I have ODBC access, I have a backup that is a month old, so I have a current/correct schema from dbexport; I've attempted to export all the tables into SQL files via WinSQL (and a couple of other products); however after creating a new database (new server); attempts at importing (i.e. INSERT's from the .SQL files) have either failed due to the size of the .SQL files, or due to WinSQL's method of export (creates long statements and Informix kick's back a 460 error). A few other products couldn't go over 1940 records. I've also tried a direct migration from one table to another table (old server/table to new server/table), that worked fine on simple tables, but any tables with key constraints failed; I'm not certain if I should create a new database without the keys, import (i.e. migrate/transfer); then create the keys as it would occur in the dbexport, i.e create table, unload, create key, create index. So that's the situation, the server is on borrowed time; so I either need to fin...

Re: Help:informix database backup/restore with netbackup agent.
Hi, the message "could not fork server connection, SQLCODE -25596" means that the server (IDS's oninit processes) could not be started, or they could be started but it was not possible to connect to them. The XBSA error then is the following error caused by the resulting abort. Check whether there are any "oninit" processes running for this instance after a restore attempt ("ps -ef | grep oninit" if you have only this one instance on this machine). If there are any, remove them, remove possibly left-over shared memory segments ("ipcrm ....

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch
I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My iLogin works fine, but I cannot set up the ODBC driver, I keep getting the message "[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch" I cannot leave it blank, under environment, and I cannot find any matching pairs. Can somebody help. XP client and Linux server This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0046812965257177_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" I am guessing that you are using 10.00.xC4 or the version where you have fix for 171156 IDS defect. Basically this bug fix will enforce the correct database locale setting from client (i.e. ODBC etc). If you supply the (default is en_US.1252) correct database locale(that is actually the database created with) in ODBC DSN(or your connection string) then your connection should go through. However in ODBC side as well we have the corresponding fix in place. Ask your customer support to get the patch of ODBC defects 175110 and 175746. These ODBC fixes will automatically take care of getting the correct database locale value for the given database (through DSN). Thanks & Regards -Shesh bobkot@gmail.com Sent by: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org 05/23/2006 05:58 PM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.T...

Help:informix database backup/restore with netbackup agent.
Hi, I am using Informix netbackup agent for backup and restore. The backup is done by using onbar -b -w However the restore failed by onbar -r -p or onbar -r -p -w. Is it LTAPDEV and TAPEDEV set to /dev/null causing the problem? Do I need to delete or "damage" the database before I do a restore? Any comment will be appreicated. Thanks Bin Bin Zhu wrote: > Hi, > > I am using Informix netbackup agent for backup and restore. > > The backup is done by using onbar -b -w > > However the restore failed by onbar -r -p or onb...

Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server
KW Foo wrote: > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > application and the data and restore to another server. > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server using > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to another > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the Informix > chunk directories after we shutdown the Informix using "onmode -ky". > > We a...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server
Neil Truby wrote: > "Carmen Constantinescu" <carmen@wylog.com> wrote in message > news:bthi4v$ujm$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > >>Please help! >> >>I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : >> $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name >> >> y >> n >> n >> n >> file_name >> >>The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore >>failed - function read archive...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #3
Did You re-install Informix executables ('installserver' script) after transferring it to anather machine with Solaris utility? If not, please, do that. Also, do nor forget about 'RUNASROOT' script. ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin Senior Database Administrator > -----Original Message----- > From: KW Foo [mailto:hovid@streamyx.com] > Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 5:38 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server > using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > > > > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the > Informix > > > ch...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #2
Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing memory Verify with ipcs -m Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release notes ( if should not impact, but you never know) If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE -----Message d'origine----- De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 � : informix-list@iiug.org Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server Check the release note in $INFO...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #4
In my personal opinion, why bother using ufsdump when you could restore with ontape. Don't forget that all chunk structures must be the same but that ontape & ufsdump might not read & write the same way, thus creating incompatibilities. There is gain in using ufsdump versus the potential problems just like the one you encountered. Andr� >From: St�phane Gadoury <stephane.gadoury@transat.com> >To: <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server >Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:54:50 -0500 >...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Which version of IDS 7.31 do you have? IDS doesnt have database-level backup/restore capability. I think you can do dbspace-level backup/restore with onbar. Thanks, Uday. "Massoroto" <alanmas@gmail.co m> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org owner-informix-li cc st@iiug.org Subject ...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #3
David Williams wrote: > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote in message news:btmcr4> That > will make it a lot tidier, should be able to use a case statement. > >>I will revise next week sometime. >> > > > http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk/ifaq06.htm#6.33 > > 6.33 What status codes does onstat return? > On 21st May 1998 mdstock@informix.com (Mark D. Stock) wrote:- > > As a point of interest, you can check the current mode of IDS by checking > the status ($?) after onstat -. > > The values r...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2
Hi, ontape (in older versions) has a limitation of 2 GB only if TAPEDEV is a file in the file system. If TAPEDEV is an actual tape device, then this restriction does not apply. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 17:11:49: > Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is > done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but > you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical > recove...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3
Hi, - you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these utility commands. - using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately. You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions. See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info. - to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar. However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and be able to restore them successfully...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #2
Paul Watson wrote: > something like > > onstat -r <<EOF > y > n > n > n > EOF > > should work, but I wouldn't use it on a production system Which is exactly the same as the example given, except for the obvious command error and the missing initial <CR> to the enter tape and press RETURN prompt. However, I am not convinced of the order of the answers, and I don't have ontape to hand to test..., on dev or prod. So I agree, simply run ontape -r and answer the prompts manually. Cheers, -- Mark. +-------------...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
David Williams wrote > > "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol@virgin.net> wrote in message > news:a3525a11.0401080308.64a1ed12@posting.google.com... > > Why ever would you want to run a cold restore unattended? > > > > Great laxative ... > > > > To create a reporting database once per week... > > Once all the ontape stuff is finished don't forget to > > a) Sit in a loop running onstat - and check the return > code each time.Wait for the server to reach quiescent > mode. This can take 45 mins. >...

Re: Re: Need help!! Sql to Informix Migration
Your onconfig shows that you are using the default informix configuration... if it is so then some work to do because the default instance the installer configures is just for testing purposes *** not for production *** You have to plan your deployment, ie: The amount of ram you will dedicate to the engine, the disk structure, and a lot of things more. When you do that Informix blow Sql_server by a lot but just then it will. Follow the advise every one is giving and plan to read the Informix Administrator guide if you really want to bring good performace to your application. ...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #2
Christian Knappke wrote > > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote: > > > Here is one I prepared earlier --- > > > > onbar/ontape whatever .. > > FORCEOL=n > > until onstat - | grep "On-Line" > /dev/null > > do > > echo "Off line" # ; sleep 20 > > onstat - | grep "[BQ][lu][oi][ce][ks]" > /dev/null && ( echo > > "\nServ blokd" > > if [ x$FORCEOL = "xn" ] ; then > > echo "On...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #3
Thanks a lot ! My problem was the fact that I tried to restore on a Linux machine a backup made on a UNIX machine. The INFORMIX server version was the same. The problem was the OS, in fact. Backup with ontape is recommended only when the restore is made on the same machine. Carmen ----- Original Message ----- From: "S.Dhayanidhi" <sdhaya@hotmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:35 AM Subject: Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux > Here is my cute little code.. for u...

Web resources about - RE: Help needed in transfering or backing up/restoring Informix database via ODBC. - comp.databases.informix