Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2

> ... Rather, you should
> mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix their web
> server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask whatever
> server people are redirected to. ...

You are right:
  If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning"
  (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages)
  to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within
  a very short time.

But also wrong:
  If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people",
  then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried,
  but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along
  the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ...

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin Fuerderer
IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
> >                         ^^^^
> >   please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead
> >   quote it like this:
> >
> >     http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
> >
> >   The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host,
> >   to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has
> >   been routed automatically.
> >

> This is not something the user should ever have to worry about,
> and is more a problem with the web server configuration.  The
> URL is the URL, and if IBM configured their web server(s) correctly
> they wouldn't have this problem in the first place.  To suggest that
> users modify the URL is philosophically wrong.  Rather, you should
> mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix their web
> server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask whatever
> server people are redirected to.  Having users modify the URL is
> ridiculous!
sending to informix-list
0
Martin

I have emailed docinf@us.ibm.com. and cc'ed an IBM contact so this
should be getting progressed.

0
david

IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. http://www-306.ibm.com/)
Hi everyone, one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ ^^^^ |||| please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead quote it like this: http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host, to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has been routed automatically. Usually, the routing will be stable, i.e. a URL with "-###" will normally work. However, if that particular machine is down, then a URL with the "-###" may not work. But a URL without "-###" will still work, because the request will then be routed to a different machine. Therefore at best leave out that "-###" when quoting such URLs. Otherwise, if such a URL one day does not work, remember that you can take away the "-###" part and it then should work. This is a general note, not to pick on any individual e-mail contributor ... only this e-mail was a good example. Besides, there are many people within IBM who don't understand the concept behind this and therefore often just do cut&paste of such URLs into documents, presentations, etc. But since this is a technical audience, I thought it may well worth it to (try t...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2
Mark Townsend said: > > Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> Superboer said: >> >>>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >>> >>>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >>> >>>sex disease..... >>> >>>they offer their customers a soa??? >>> >>>WOEHA.. >> >> >> Yep, via a poxy server. :o) >> > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? Only via a "Brown Hat" back door. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list ...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs.
Martin Fuerderer wrote: > Hi everyone, > > one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > > > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > ^^^^ > |||| > please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead > quote it like this: > > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > > The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host, > to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has > been routed automatically. > Double Echo responded: > This is not something the user should ever have to worry about, > and is more a problem with the web server configuration. I have to agree that having users modify the URL is a bit much, especially since I am prone to book marking pages that I use on a regular basis, and am not prone to go in and determine what edits I need to make to the URL in my bookmarks. Shirley, the world's largest computer company can handle a simple thing like URL masking. If not, I fear they are going to just have to deal with the spike of IIUG users flooding a particular host. Sincerely, Christopher Coleman Steering Committee President Kansas City Informix Users Group www.iiug.org/kciug Database Analyst Pharmacy Division Mediware Information Systems, Inc. 913/307-1073 sending t...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs.
Superboer said: > > well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA > (Service-Oriented Architecture) > > in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... > > sex disease..... > > they offer their customers a soa??? > > WOEHA.. Yep, via a poxy server. :o) -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Superboer said: > >>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >> >>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >> >>sex disease..... >> >>they offer their customers a soa??? >> >>WOEHA.. > > > Yep, via a poxy server. :o) > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? "Obnoxio The Clown" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #4
Hi, there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. But the bespoke web-page at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ has a link for feedback: look for "Feedback" in the left navigation area on the page ... Regards, Martin -- owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52: > ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell > them :)) sending to informix-list "Martin Fuerderer" <MARTINFU@de.ibm.com> wrote in message news:dnseuo$fa5$1@news.xmission.com... > > Hi, > > there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. > But the bespoke web-page at > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > has a link for feedback: > look for "Feedback" in the left navigation > area on the page ... Yes, fill in an IBM website feedback form. Someone will IBM will call you back within the hour. NOT!!!!!!! Filling out one of these forms on IBM's website is an alternative way of getting in touch with the dead, and saves the expense of a Ouija board. I've emailed docinf@us.ibm.com on 3 things in the last 24 hours and got replies that they have been fixed. (It's past 3am since I crashed out earlier as I am not well so I'll check the fixes later.) One thing I wish IBM would do is check for broken links. Even if just periodically spidering their website slowly (slowly for their we...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #3
ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell them :)) > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Martin Fuerderer > Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:35 > To: doubleecho@your.com > Cc: informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. > http://www-306.ibm.com/) > > > ... Rather, you should > > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix > their web > > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask > whatever > > server people are redirected to. ... > > You are right: > If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" > (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) > to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within > a very short time. > > But also wrong: > If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", > then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, > but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along > the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... > > Regards, > Martin > -- > Martin Fuerderer > IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Mana...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #5
Hi, there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. But the bespoke web-page at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ has a link for feedback: look for "Feedback" in the left navigation area on the page ... Regards, Martin -- owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52: > ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell > them :)) sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

What's happened to the http://www.ibm.com/informix ?

Re: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #2
Since you can execute the query on the server with good run times but the run times are worse when executed from another server, I'd have my Unix Admin look at the network settings on the HP-UX server. You might even try installing server studio on the same machine that your VB.Net app runs on and run the queries from there. This will validate if your issue is network related or .Net related. --- Jose da Fonseca <jose@lads.co.za> wrote: > HI All, > > Has anybody had any experience with porting from > MSSQL to Informix? We > are have successfully ...

Re: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #2
I wonder if one can apply to a DB2-knowlegge work by saying: I don't know DB2 but I know Informix well... ;) Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: "Andrew Hamm" <ahamm@mail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:30:11 +1000 Subject: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix Jean Sagi wrote: > (This isn't rant too) > > Try DB2... for what I see in the long term (2010+) Db2 and Informix > will be the same, so some studyng of DB2 won't hurt. although the downside to studying DB2 now if you don't need...

IBM PS/2 : ftp.pc.ibm.com is closing down (or is it?)
Hi all, Browsing along I stumbled on this ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special Watch for the warning Then look at the filedate Let's see what happens tomorrow . . . . -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special/cdtfiles/ Looks to be stuff on 65xx series here. JWR wrote: > Hi all, > > Browsing along I stumbled on this > > ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/specia...

RE: IBM & Informix #2
Just because you haven't heard of any significant wins for IBM Informix it doesn't mean to say they aren't happening. I happen to know that there are some big wins for IBM involving Informix, including a very public win for a 2006 sports event - but the IBM marketing machine might be taking time to work out how to publicise it. If you were at any of the events that I have been to recently you would know that the accent is changing within IBM Informix Management (the new Brand Name) and DB2 is now just another one of their products. I agree with you that when looking for a job there aren't many involving Informix because of the negative press that some people insist on giving the product. If we all stop making utterances like yours in public then maybe the tide will indeed turn. Regards Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Traveller Sent: 24 November 2005 13:47 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: IBM & Informix Much as I like Informix and used it for over 10 years, I have not heard of any new sales wins for IBM Informix in Europe. This causes rumours and speculation to circulate and not in a good way, while also making existing users of Informix even more nervous. As a result I am another Informix professional looking to get out of working with Informix as it does not pay my bills. To add to that my new Job I get to influence de...

Re: "[eCS] Reacting to IBM withdrawl of OS/2" to Gregory L. Marx on eComStation@yahoogroups.com #2
Gregory L. Marx wrote: > FYI: > << BIG SNIP >> > > Good luck and take care everybody! > > Signing off ... > Gregory L. Marx > gregory.marx@xxxxxxx.xxx > Gregory; If you need to "move on", I understand.. But just because IBM will not sell OS/2, after 23-DEC-2005, or provide "Standard Support" for it on the Web Site after 31-DEC-2006, DOES NOT MEAN that OS/2 will "fail to operate" on you system on 01-JAN-2007!!! <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/> ================================...

Re: http://mydomainname.com instead of http://www.mydomainname.com
look in the archives http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111230305000001&r=1&w=2 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=111229542425372&w=2 and a bunch of other places. get this book... http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4 Trebek: And the answer is... The word for this garden implement also means a person of uncertain moral character. Ken Jennings: What is a ho? Trebek: (spluttering with involuntary laughter) Rake. Rake ...

Re: history lesson in IBM databases #2
Hi Guys, Way back in the early 80's I worked on an IBM DOS system which had CICS plus the flavour of IMS at the time known as DL/1 (or DL/I for classicists). DOS & VSE have close links in fact from (fading) memory VSE offered some added value tools on top of the DOS system at the time. DL/I, just to confuse the issue, is also the Data Manipulation Language for IMS even today. The DL/I flavour was still hierarchical but the support for some of the logical database stuff was limited and some of the Segment Search Argument (SSA) options were also constrained. Hope this h...

RE: IBM Informix ODBC driver #2
Hi. CSDK 2.81.TC2 is newer than 2.81.TC1. 2.81.TC2 is fiexed bug until 2.81.TC1. You may better use 2.81.TC2. Defect list exists in %INFORMIXDIR%\release\en_us\04e4\Defects.txt HTH -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 >From: junedong@mail.chimei.org.tw (?L???V) >Reply-To: junedong@mail.chimei.org.tw (?L???V) >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: IBM Informix ODBC driver >Date: 9 Feb 2004 17:40:37 -0800 > >I'm looking for IBM Informix ODBC driver for windows. >There are two different package available out there: >...

Re: http://www.privatephone.com/ #2
Old thread I know, but I wanted to say that I like OneSuite.com too. They always seem to outdue their competitors in rates and service. I tried another long-distance company a few months ago and pretty much immediately went back to OneSuite. They have been around for longer than most companies, and that alone speaks volumes. Anna ...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

[...]

determine com 1 and com 2 serial ports on ibm ps/2 56
i need this for dcc with nullmodem cable relatively from video port where is first serial? from back view....closer to video port or other..? i cant see notation on case or inside or on mainboard... ico wrote: > > i need this for dcc with nullmodem cable > relatively from video port where is first serial? Looking at the rear of the system. Left side (power supply) -- SCSI port (C-60) --- Video (hdd15) -- Serial (DB25) -- LPT (DB25) On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:20:53 UTC, Louis Ohland <ohlandl@charter.net> wrote: > ico wrote: > > > > i need this for dcc with nullmodem cable > > relatively from video port where is first serial? > > Looking at the rear of the system. > > Left side (power supply) -- SCSI port (C-60) --- Video (hdd15) -- > Serial (DB25) -- LPT (DB25) I think he's talking about a 9556... -- Bob Eager rde at tavi.co.uk PC Server 325; PS/2s 8595*3, 9595*3 (2*P60 + P90), 8535, 8570, 9556*2, 8580*6, 8557*2, 8550, 9577, 8530, P70, PC/AT.. http://www.tavi.co.uk http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk  > > Left side (power supply) -- SCSI port (C-60) --- Video (hdd15) -- > > Serial (DB25) -- LPT (DB25) > > I think he's talking about a 9556... http://greyghost.dyndns.org/56slc3port.jpg Power > SCSI > Video > Serial 1 > Serial 2 > LPT > Keyboard > Mouse William Actually, its wherever you want it to be - com port as...

Web resources about - Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2 - comp.databases.informix