RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #5

Hi,

there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address.
But the bespoke web-page at
  http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
has a link for feedback:
  look for "Feedback" in the left navigation
  area on the page ...

Regards,
Martin
--
owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52:
> ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to
tell
> them :))
sending to informix-list
sending to informix-list
0
Martin

IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. http://www-306.ibm.com/)
Hi everyone, one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ ^^^^ |||| please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead quote it like this: http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host, to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has been routed automatically. Usually, the routing will be stable, i.e. a URL with "-###" will normally work. However, if that particular machine is down, then a URL with the "-###" may not work. But a URL without "-###" will still work, because the request will then be routed to a different machine. Therefore at best leave out that "-###" when quoting such URLs. Otherwise, if such a URL one day does not work, remember that you can take away the "-###" part and it then should work. This is a general note, not to pick on any individual e-mail contributor ... only this e-mail was a good example. Besides, there are many people within IBM who don't understand the concept behind this and therefore often just do cut&paste of such URLs into documents, presentations, etc. But since this is a technical audience, I thought it may well worth it to (try t...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs.
Martin Fuerderer wrote: > Hi everyone, > > one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > > > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > ^^^^ > |||| > please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead > quote it like this: > > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > > The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host, > to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has > been routed automatically. > Double Echo responded: > This is not something the user should ever have to worry about, > and is more a problem with the web server configuration. I have to agree that having users modify the URL is a bit much, especially since I am prone to book marking pages that I use on a regular basis, and am not prone to go in and determine what edits I need to make to the URL in my bookmarks. Shirley, the world's largest computer company can handle a simple thing like URL masking. If not, I fear they are going to just have to deal with the spike of IIUG users flooding a particular host. Sincerely, Christopher Coleman Steering Committee President Kansas City Informix Users Group www.iiug.org/kciug Database Analyst Pharmacy Division Mediware Information Systems, Inc. 913/307-1073 sending t...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs.
Superboer said: > > well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA > (Service-Oriented Architecture) > > in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... > > sex disease..... > > they offer their customers a soa??? > > WOEHA.. Yep, via a poxy server. :o) -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Superboer said: > >>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >> >>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >> >>sex disease..... >> >>they offer their customers a soa??? >> >>WOEHA.. > > > Yep, via a poxy server. :o) > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? "Obnoxio The Clown" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2
Mark Townsend said: > > Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> Superboer said: >> >>>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >>> >>>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >>> >>>sex disease..... >>> >>>they offer their customers a soa??? >>> >>>WOEHA.. >> >> >> Yep, via a poxy server. :o) >> > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? Only via a "Brown Hat" back door. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list ...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #3
ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell them :)) > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Martin Fuerderer > Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:35 > To: doubleecho@your.com > Cc: informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. > http://www-306.ibm.com/) > > > ... Rather, you should > > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix > their web > > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask > whatever > > server people are redirected to. ... > > You are right: > If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" > (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) > to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within > a very short time. > > But also wrong: > If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", > then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, > but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along > the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... > > Regards, > Martin > -- > Martin Fuerderer > IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Mana...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #4
Hi, there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. But the bespoke web-page at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ has a link for feedback: look for "Feedback" in the left navigation area on the page ... Regards, Martin -- owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52: > ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell > them :)) sending to informix-list "Martin Fuerderer" <MARTINFU@de.ibm.com> wrote in message news:dnseuo$fa5$1@news.xmission.com... > > Hi, > > there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. > But the bespoke web-page at > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > has a link for feedback: > look for "Feedback" in the left navigation > area on the page ... Yes, fill in an IBM website feedback form. Someone will IBM will call you back within the hour. NOT!!!!!!! Filling out one of these forms on IBM's website is an alternative way of getting in touch with the dead, and saves the expense of a Ouija board. I've emailed docinf@us.ibm.com on 3 things in the last 24 hours and got replies that they have been fixed. (It's past 3am since I crashed out earlier as I am not well so I'll check the fixes later.) One thing I wish IBM would do is check for broken links. Even if just periodically spidering their website slowly (slowly for their we...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2
> ... Rather, you should > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix their web > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask whatever > server people are redirected to. ... You are right: If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within a very short time. But also wrong: If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 13.12.2005 15:51:37: > Martin Fuerderer wrote: > > Hi everyone, > > > > one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > > > > > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > > ^^^^ > > |||| > > please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead > > quote it like this: > > > > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ >...

What's happened to the http://www.ibm.com/informix ?

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #5
They are still do. The product name is Sequelink. The company is now Datadrect Basim Chafik Senior Systems Analyst IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) 1.800.688.4895 basim.chafik@plx.com plexus (Division of BancTec) -----Original Message----- From: Everett Mills [mailto:eemills@nationalbeef.com] Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 1:04 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver Guys- Merant used to make an Informix ODBC driver that was a lot faster than the one that comes with CSDK. I think they&#...

RE: IBM & Informix #5
Personally I would choose anything ahead of SQL Server, I need my DBMS to run 24 x 7 and nothing I have seen convinces me SQL Server even comes close. I've never used Oracle, but would need a lot of convincing to convert from the ease of use of IDS. As I have a major influence in the RDBMS the company uses we will be sticking with IDS for the foreseeable future, currently migrating to IDS 9.4 and Tools 7.32 with plans for IDS 10 next year. Keith -> -----Original Message----- -> From: Traveller [mailto:vavavoom_th14@yahoo.co.uk] -> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 10:48 AM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: Re: IBM & Informix -> -> -> You are right. They have had no bad press. Just no press and -> as you say -> when you do -> not the know the furture of a product , would you as a -> business make a -> decision to buy in Informix -> as a database when you have the choice of Oracle and MS-SQL server. I -> say nothing about DB2 -> because I have never come across it any enviornments I have -> worked in. -> -> Again my two pence worth as a pi**ed of Informix soon to be -> ex informix -> professional. -> -> -> Traveller -> ********************************************************************************** This message is sent in strict confidence for the addressee only. It may contain legally privileged information. The contents are not ...

Re: http://mydomainname.com instead of http://www.mydomainname.com
look in the archives http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111230305000001&r=1&w=2 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=111229542425372&w=2 and a bunch of other places. get this book... http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4 Trebek: And the answer is... The word for this garden implement also means a person of uncertain moral character. Ken Jennings: What is a ho? Trebek: (spluttering with involuntary laughter) Rake. Rake ...

Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #5
I believe that the IIUG did a survey that showed just this FACT within weeks of the IBM buyout announcement. Hopefully someone at IBM read the results of that survey. Rob Vorbroker Former IIUG BoD Member --- John Carlson <jwcarlson1@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote: > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:15:27 +0000 (UTC), > wjjordan@nortel.ca (Jim > Jordan) wrote: > > >In article <2r04ibF14f12eU1@uni-berlin.de>, > >Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > >>I've seen evidence recently, such as the ICON > programme, that IBM are t...

RE: Announcing: The IBM Customer Advisory Council for Informix #5
No....we just lost your email..=20 -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of david@smooth1.co.uk Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:56 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Announcing: The IBM Customer Advisory Council for Informix mark.scranton@gmail.com wrote: > Folks - > > IBM has approved the formation of the Customer Advisory Council for=20 > Informix. This is more "proof of life" of IBM's efforts to further=20 > develop the Informix products. DB2 has always had a very active CAC,=20 > so this is a good sign for the Informix family of products. The CAC=20 > has conference calls every other month, and one face-to-face meeting=20 > at Tech Conference each year. We are currently reviewing potential=20 > candidates for the council, and will be sending out invitations to the > customers we have identified with one or more of the following > criteria: 1) an influencer at their company, 2) an Informix DBA, 3)=20 > know the product very well. This can be up as many as 3 different=20 > people, or even 1. > Well I am 2) and 3) where I work now. Can I please be considered for the Customer Advisory Council? Woo-hoo. David. (david@smooth1.co.uk). > This is a great sign for the further development of the Informix=20 > products. >=20 > Thanks - > Mark Scranton > IBM Worldwide Info...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver
Jose, What version of CSDK you are using on the client. .NET support was introduced in CSDK 2.81.TC3 and had some problems (according to Tech Support). Even that you are using .NET, but behind the seen, the .NET provider is using ODBC (so all problem/bugs for ODBC drivers are inherited). A lot of enhancement and fixes were added to CSDK 2.90.TC3. Basim Chafik Senior Systems Analyst IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) 1.800.688.4895 basim.chafik@plx.com plexus (Division of BancTec) -----Original Message----- From: Jose da Fonseca [mailto:jose@lads.co.za...

RE: IBM Informix IDS 9.3 UC3 for aix #5
I'll look... -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Obnoxio The Clown Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 6:36 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: IBM Informix IDS 9.3 UC3 for aix I know I didn't send this twice, and after Madison's "triplet", is it possible that there is a problem with the mail / news gateway? Obnoxio The Clown said: > > > spender said: >> >> just aix 4.3.3 not support informix IDS9.3UC3, >> -or- >> Informix IDS version 9...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #7
This is IBM's response : ( Unacceptable by the way ) Subject: IBM Informix case#439472 -"Performance is slow. Select on blob, inserts on blob" Dear John, I am the new case owner of IBM Informix case#439472 -"Performance is slow. Select on blob, inserts on blob" We currently have a feature #171522 "IBM INFORMIX NEEDS TO HAVE A FULLY MANAGED .NET PROVIDER" open which matches your problem. Please see the details below: >> One of the areas where the .Net application experience higher performance concerns is while it makes interoperati...

Re: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #2
Since you can execute the query on the server with good run times but the run times are worse when executed from another server, I'd have my Unix Admin look at the network settings on the HP-UX server. You might even try installing server studio on the same machine that your VB.Net app runs on and run the queries from there. This will validate if your issue is network related or .Net related. --- Jose da Fonseca <jose@lads.co.za> wrote: > HI All, > > Has anybody had any experience with porting from > MSSQL to Informix? We > are have successfully ...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #8
Would the OleDb provider prove to be any better/faster at this time than the .Net provider? --- Jose da Fonseca <jose@lads.co.za> wrote: > This is IBM's response : ( Unacceptable by the way ) > > Subject: IBM Informix case#439472 -"Performance is > slow. Select on blob, > inserts on blob" > > Dear John, > I am the new case owner of IBM Informix case#439472 > -"Performance is > slow. > Select on blob, inserts on blob" > > We currently have a feature #171522 "IBM INFORMIX > NEEDS TO HAVE A FULL...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #3
Guys- Merant used to make an Informix ODBC driver that was a lot faster than the one that comes with CSDK. I think they've been bought, but the product should still be out there somewhere. --EEM > -----Original Message----- > From: scottishpoet [mailto:dryburghj@yahoo.com] > Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:00 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver > > You may already have discussed this with your support provider and they > have informed you of the timescales to resolve t...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #4
Datadirect Technologies bought Merant. They have ODBC driver for Informix. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Everett Mills Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:04 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver Guys- Merant used to make an Informix ODBC driver that was a lot faster than the one that comes with CSDK. I think they've been bought, but the product should still be out there somewhere. --EEM > -----Original Message----...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #6
Thank you for that. We are using 2.90 xC3. We have tested the same thing with 2.81 and older and have the same problem. It may be that Microsoft have "super-tuned" there provider and Informix have not ? -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Chafik, Basim Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:52 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver Jose, What version of CSDK you are using on the client. .NET support was introduced in CSDK 2.81.TC3 an...

SN#22873 Oracle Database 11g vs. IBM DB2 Enterprise 9.5
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 145 Issue 2 2010-03-11 Article 22873 from section "SysAdmin's Section" An Edison Group Comparative Management Costs Study A recent study conducted by the Edison Group titled "Comparative Management Costs Study´┐ŻOracle Database 11g vs. IBM DB2 Enterprise 9.5" quantifies how Oracle widens the manageability lead against IBM. Points made in the 78-page report: 43% annual savings in database management; typical administrative functions are 40% faster; 49% fewer steps for the same set of standa...

Re: ANNOUNCE: IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01
bottom right side, click office, followed by edit current. Click the mail tab. Go to the bottom and change mime to rich text. Thanks to June Hunt I changed mine (mime) fairly recently! peace Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthli nk.net> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org ...

Web resources about - RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #5 - comp.databases.informix