RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs.

Martin Fuerderer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>   one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following:
>
>   > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>                         ^^^^
>   please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead
>   quote it like this:
>
>     http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/
>
>   The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host,
>   to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has
>   been routed automatically.

Double Echo responded:
> This is not something the user should ever have to worry about,
> and is more a problem with the web server configuration.

I have to agree that having users modify the URL is a bit much, especially since I am prone to book marking pages that I use on a regular basis, and am not prone to go in and determine what edits I need to make to the URL in my bookmarks.

Shirley, the world's largest computer company can handle a simple thing like URL masking.  If not, I fear they are going to just have to deal with the spike of IIUG users flooding a particular host.

Sincerely,

Christopher Coleman

Steering Committee President
Kansas City Informix Users Group
www.iiug.org/kciug

Database Analyst
Pharmacy Division
Mediware Information Systems, Inc.
913/307-1073
sending to informix-list
0
Christopher

IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. http://www-306.ibm.com/)
Hi everyone, one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ ^^^^ |||| please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead quote it like this: http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ The "-###" means that the page is provided by a particular host, to which an original HTTP request without such a "-###" has been routed automatically. Usually, the routing will be stable, i.e. a URL with "-###" will normally work. However, if that particular machine is down, then a URL with the "-###" may not work. But a URL without "-###" will still work, because the request will then be routed to a different machine. Therefore at best leave out that "-###" when quoting such URLs. Otherwise, if such a URL one day does not work, remember that you can take away the "-###" part and it then should work. This is a general note, not to pick on any individual e-mail contributor ... only this e-mail was a good example. Besides, there are many people within IBM who don't understand the concept behind this and therefore often just do cut&paste of such URLs into documents, presentations, etc. But since this is a technical audience, I thought it may well worth it to (try t...

Superboer said: > > well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA > (Service-Oriented Architecture) > > in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... > > sex disease..... > > they offer their customers a soa??? > > WOEHA.. Yep, via a poxy server. :o) -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Superboer said: > >>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >> >>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >> >>sex disease..... >> >>they offer their customers a soa??? >> >>WOEHA.. > > > Yep, via a poxy server. :o) > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? "Obnoxio The Clown" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2
> ... Rather, you should > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix their web > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask whatever > server people are redirected to. ... You are right: If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within a very short time. But also wrong: If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 13.12.2005 15:51:37: > Martin Fuerderer wrote: > > Hi everyone, > > > > one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > > > > > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > > ^^^^ > > |||| > > please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead > > quote it like this: > > > > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ >...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #3
ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell them :)) > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Martin Fuerderer > Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:35 > To: doubleecho@your.com > Cc: informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. > http://www-306.ibm.com/) > > > ... Rather, you should > > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix > their web > > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask > whatever > > server people are redirected to. ... > > You are right: > If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" > (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) > to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within > a very short time. > > But also wrong: > If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", > then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, > but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along > the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... > > Regards, > Martin > -- > Martin Fuerderer > IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Mana...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #5
Hi, there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. But the bespoke web-page at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ has a link for feedback: look for "Feedback" in the left navigation area on the page ... Regards, Martin -- owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52: > ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell > them :)) sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2
Mark Townsend said: > > Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> Superboer said: >> >>>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >>> >>>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >>> >>>sex disease..... >>> >>>they offer their customers a soa??? >>> >>>WOEHA.. >> >> >> Yep, via a poxy server. :o) >> > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? Only via a "Brown Hat" back door. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list ...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #4
Hi, there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. But the bespoke web-page at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ has a link for feedback: look for "Feedback" in the left navigation area on the page ... Regards, Martin -- owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52: > ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell > them :)) sending to informix-list "Martin Fuerderer" <MARTINFU@de.ibm.com> wrote in message news:dnseuo$fa5$1@news.xmission.com... > > Hi, > > there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. > But the bespoke web-page at > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > has a link for feedback: > look for "Feedback" in the left navigation > area on the page ... Yes, fill in an IBM website feedback form. Someone will IBM will call you back within the hour. NOT!!!!!!! Filling out one of these forms on IBM's website is an alternative way of getting in touch with the dead, and saves the expense of a Ouija board. I've emailed docinf@us.ibm.com on 3 things in the last 24 hours and got replies that they have been fixed. (It's past 3am since I crashed out earlier as I am not well so I'll check the fixes later.) One thing I wish IBM would do is check for broken links. Even if just periodically spidering their website slowly (slowly for their we...

What's happened to the http://www.ibm.com/informix ?

Re: http://mydomainname.com instead of http://www.mydomainname.com
look in the archives http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111230305000001&r=1&w=2 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=111229542425372&w=2 and a bunch of other places. get this book... http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4 Trebek: And the answer is... The word for this garden implement also means a person of uncertain moral character. Ken Jennings: What is a ho? Trebek: (spluttering with involuntary laughter) Rake. Rake ...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver
Jose, What version of CSDK you are using on the client. .NET support was introduced in CSDK 2.81.TC3 and had some problems (according to Tech Support). Even that you are using .NET, but behind the seen, the .NET provider is using ODBC (so all problem/bugs for ODBC drivers are inherited). A lot of enhancement and fixes were added to CSDK 2.90.TC3. Basim Chafik Senior Systems Analyst IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) 1.800.688.4895 basim.chafik@plx.com plexus (Division of BancTec) -----Original Message----- From: Jose da Fonseca [mailto:jose@lads.co.za...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

Re: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #2
Since you can execute the query on the server with good run times but the run times are worse when executed from another server, I'd have my Unix Admin look at the network settings on the HP-UX server. You might even try installing server studio on the same machine that your VB.Net app runs on and run the queries from there. This will validate if your issue is network related or .Net related. --- Jose da Fonseca <jose@lads.co.za> wrote: > HI All, > > Has anybody had any experience with porting from > MSSQL to Informix? We > are have successfully ...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #8
Would the OleDb provider prove to be any better/faster at this time than the .Net provider? --- Jose da Fonseca <jose@lads.co.za> wrote: > This is IBM's response : ( Unacceptable by the way ) > > Subject: IBM Informix case#439472 -"Performance is > slow. Select on blob, > inserts on blob" > > Dear John, > I am the new case owner of IBM Informix case#439472 > -"Performance is > slow. > Select on blob, inserts on blob" > > We currently have a feature #171522 "IBM INFORMIX > NEEDS TO HAVE A FULL...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #5
They are still do. The product name is Sequelink. The company is now Datadrect Basim Chafik Senior Systems Analyst IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) 1.800.688.4895 basim.chafik@plx.com plexus (Division of BancTec) -----Original Message----- From: Everett Mills [mailto:eemills@nationalbeef.com] Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 1:04 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver Guys- Merant used to make an Informix ODBC driver that was a lot faster than the one that comes with CSDK. I think they&#...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #6
Thank you for that. We are using 2.90 xC3. We have tested the same thing with 2.81 and older and have the same problem. It may be that Microsoft have "super-tuned" there provider and Informix have not ? -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Chafik, Basim Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:52 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver Jose, What version of CSDK you are using on the client. .NET support was introduced in CSDK 2.81.TC3 an...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #4
Datadirect Technologies bought Merant. They have ODBC driver for Informix. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Everett Mills Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:04 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver Guys- Merant used to make an Informix ODBC driver that was a lot faster than the one that comes with CSDK. I think they've been bought, but the product should still be out there somewhere. --EEM > -----Original Message----...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #7
This is IBM's response : ( Unacceptable by the way ) Subject: IBM Informix case#439472 -"Performance is slow. Select on blob, inserts on blob" Dear John, I am the new case owner of IBM Informix case#439472 -"Performance is slow. Select on blob, inserts on blob" We currently have a feature #171522 "IBM INFORMIX NEEDS TO HAVE A FULLY MANAGED .NET PROVIDER" open which matches your problem. Please see the details below: >> One of the areas where the .Net application experience higher performance concerns is while it makes interoperati...

RE: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver #3
Guys- Merant used to make an Informix ODBC driver that was a lot faster than the one that comes with CSDK. I think they've been bought, but the product should still be out there somewhere. --EEM > -----Original Message----- > From: scottishpoet [mailto:dryburghj@yahoo.com] > Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:00 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: IBM .net Driver for Informix vs MSSQL .net driver > > You may already have discussed this with your support provider and they > have informed you of the timescales to resolve t...

Re: ANNOUNCE: IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01
bottom right side, click office, followed by edit current. Click the mail tab. Go to the bottom and change mime to rich text. Thanks to June Hunt I changed mine (mime) fairly recently! peace Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthli nk.net> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org ...

IBM R50 vs IBM R40 ?
I looked at the IBM website and dont really see the differences (pros/cons) of the IBM R40's and R50's. Is it just different features,styling, or performance? Thanks, Lou ...

SCO VS IBM:IBM Addendum to Memorandum in Support of IBM's 2nd Motion to Compel
Did SCO Really Reveal the Code to IBM, as Darl Claims? (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20031119041719640) Thursday, November 20 2003 @ 01:17 AM EST SCO VS IBM:IBM Addendum to Memorandum in Support of IBM's 2nd Motion to Compel Discovery More proof that SCO's claims are baseless..... (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2003111102212930): "Information Requested by IBM SCO's Supplemental Response Deficiencies in SCO's Supplemental Response 1 Interrogatory No. 1 seeks specific identification of all alleged trade secrets and co...

Re: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix
-----Original Message----- From: "Captain Pedantic" <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:40:57 +0100 Subject: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix "Jim Jordan" <wjjordan@nortel.ca> wrote in message news:cierhv$3vj$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com... > In article <2r04ibF14f12eU1@uni-berlin.de>, > Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > >I've seen evidence recently, such as the ICON programme, that IBM are trying > >to do more with Informix, and have heard that the ...

www.ibm.com
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose. Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access parts of it (OS/2 versions of course). Regards Peter Peter J. Seymour wrote: > Well it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose. > Netscape 4.6 can't access www.ibm.com any more and Opera can only access > parts of it (OS/2 versions of course). > Regards > Peter Netscape v4.61 and even Netscape v2.02 can still access it here. The page display is not as nice but all of the pictures, text, and links are still there. Opera 5.12 for...

Re: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #2
I wonder if one can apply to a DB2-knowlegge work by saying: I don't know DB2 but I know Informix well... ;) Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: "Andrew Hamm" <ahamm@mail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:30:11 +1000 Subject: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix Jean Sagi wrote: > (This isn't rant too) > > Try DB2... for what I see in the long term (2010+) Db2 and Informix > will be the same, so some studyng of DB2 won't hurt. although the downside to studying DB2 now if you don't need...

Web resources about - RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. - comp.databases.informix