Re: Incorrect password or user Admin is not known on the database

As the log files tells you, the user is trying userid Admin. Check if
this ID exists on ur unix box.

To get a list of IP's and stuff from where people login using telnet or
any other protocol, ask ur sysadmin on unix to log all activity. ( sysad
can restrict users via inetd.sec file )

Some of the commands which might help you -

    last -R , lastb  -R , netstat  ( you can run these yourself )  -
check in informix log, the approx time when this person tries this and
before that time, start a script with netstat or later check with
lastb/last ( last commands will help u only in case of telnet - in other
cases - if u have tcp/ip connection set for informix, netstat might help ).

Hope this helps.

Rgds
Preetinder

jorge valenzuela wrote:

>Hi all !!
>
>I frecuently seen this message on the log file:
>
>"Admin:  Incorrect password or user Admin is not known on the database
>server"
>
>I believe two posible options there is someone that is very stupit that
>always
>forget his user and password or someone is trying to log in on the database
>server.
>
>In both cases, I need to identify this person, my question is how can I
>identify this user ?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>hpux=11.0
>ids=7.3
>

>sending to informix-list

sending to informix-list
0
preetinder

Actually, I saw this once before. It's some MS aberration where it tries to
log you in as user Admin if there is something wrong with your ODBC, or
Access or something. I can't remember the details, but then I can't
remember my address either.

preetinder dhaliwal wrote:

> As the log files tells you, the user is trying userid Admin. Check if
> this ID exists on ur unix box.
>
> To get a list of IP's and stuff from where people login using telnet or
> any other protocol, ask ur sysadmin on unix to log all activity. ( sysad
> can restrict users via inetd.sec file )
>
> Some of the commands which might help you -
>
>     last -R , lastb  -R , netstat  ( you can run these yourself )  -
> check in informix log, the approx time when this person tries this and
> before that time, start a script with netstat or later check with
> lastb/last ( last commands will help u only in case of telnet - in other
> cases - if u have tcp/ip connection set for informix, netstat might help
> ).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Rgds
> Preetinder
>
> jorge valenzuela wrote:
>
>>Hi all !!
>>
>>I frecuently seen this message on the log file:
>>
>>"Admin:  Incorrect password or user Admin is not known on the database
>>server"

Ciao,
The Obnoxious One

"Ogni homo me guarda come fosse una testa de cazi"
0
Obnoxio

Re: Incorrect password or user Admin is not known on the database #2
I have seen this also, it is MS when the "Administrator" username has been changed to "Admin". Usually there is an "oops" also either in the username or the password supplied to the Informix box. And you seldom see the "bad password error" from the ODBC. Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Actually, I saw this once before. It's some MS aberration where it tries to > log you in as user Admin if there is something wrong with your ODBC, or > Access or something. I can't remember the details, but then I can't > remember my address either. > -- ( ______ )) .-- Scott MacKenzie; Dine' College ISD --. >===<--. C|~~| (>--- Phone/Voice Mail: 928-724-6639 ---<) | ; o |-' | | \--- Senior DBA/CARS Coordinator/Etc. --/ | _ | `--' `-- E: scottm at dinecollege dot edu -' `-----' sending to informix-list ...

Incorrect password or user Admin is not known on the database server
Hi all !! I frecuently seen this message on the log file: "Admin: Incorrect password or user Admin is not known on the database server" I believe two posible options there is someone that is very stupit that always forget his user and password or someone is trying to log in on the database server. In both cases, I need to identify this person, my question is how can I identify this user ? Thanks in advance. hpux=11.0 ids=7.3 sending to informix-list ...

951: Incorrect password or user is not known on the database server in Informix 7.3
Hi. I recently booted the Informix IDS 7.31 server and after putting online the databases it appeared the message after acceding dbaccess: 951: Incorrect password or user informix is not known on the database server Any idea? Thanks. For more information on the log file I get: 19:20:33 listener-thread: err = -951: oserr = 13: errstr = informix: Incorrect password or user informix is not known on the database server. System error = 13. 19:20:33 Check for password aging/account lock-out. 19:20:33 Get Shadow Password for user [informix] failed! Massoroto wrote: > For more information on the log file I get: > > 19:20:33 listener-thread: err = -951: oserr = 13: errstr = informix: > Incorrect password or user informix is not known on the database > server. > System error = 13. > 19:20:33 Check for password aging/account lock-out. > 19:20:33 Get Shadow Password for user [informix] failed! > Which OS are you using? Are you sure everything is allright with user Informix? Can you logon? Are you sure your oninit's have the right permissions? System error 13 is "#define EACCES 13 /* Permission denied */" Regards... Which OS? Which OS version? Which IDS version? "Get Shadow Password for user [informix] failed!" Well that is pretty clear isn't it? ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user
Just to add to the discussion <SNIP> > > > It however allowed me to do a > > GRANT SELECT ON TABLE T TO B. > >Possibly - but did it actually add anything to the systabauth table? If >you read the GRANT manual pages carefully, there appears to be a >loophole such that a GRANT statement might execute 'OK' without granting >the permissions. <SNIP> Is this a loophole or a security measure? I had been led to believe it works this way deliberately. By telling a user(hacker) that his command has failed is giving him information/knowledge about your systems you may not want Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't sending to informix-list ...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #2
This is from the -310 SQL errror code. Only one table with a given name can exist in a single database. (In an ANSI-compliant database, the name of the user that created a table name qualifies it, so one table of a given name per user can exist.) Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >Reply-To: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user >Date: 24 Aug 2005 23:22:39 -0700 > >Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and >hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and >googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at >all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the >same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list ...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #3
I think so... J. anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com escribis: > Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and > hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and > googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at > all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the > same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list definately! It can be done for temp tables ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Storing password in informix database
If you are on 9.x versions (with the WEB Datablade installed) , you can use a function called webpwcrypt which will encrypt your password and store it in the database. Otherwise, I would assume you'll have to write your own algorithm to do the same. The usage is as follows: select webpwcrypt(password,2194) from user where the second parameter is some kind of a seed# to generate the encrypted password. HTH. Thanx much, Rajib Sarkar Advisory Support Engineer (RAS) IBM Data Management Group Ph : (602)-217-2100 Fax: (602)-217-2100 As long as you derive ...

Re: 951: Incorrect password or user is not known on the
errno 13 is EACCES, "Permission denied" can you verify "ls -l $INFORMIXDIR/bin/oninit" on your machine? or /etc/passwd? on which platform? -rwsr-sr-- 1 root informix 27158376 Oct 7 14:21 oninit Regards Jinming "Massoroto" <alanmas@gmail.co To: informix-list@iiug.org m> cc: Sent by: Subject: Re: 951: Incorrect password or user is not known on the database server in owner-informix-li Informix 7.3 st@iiug.org ...

Identify user with incorrect password locking the database
I've recently changed the password on my database. Now the database keeps g= etting locked out from some program that's using the old credentials. There= were a lot of client programs that used the same credentials. Is there any= way to track down the offending program and which machine this is originat= ing from? We've already changed our lockout policy as much as we can given = company policy. Thanks, rexnfx611@gmail.com wrote: > I've recently changed the password on my database. Now the database keeps getting locked out from some program that's using the ol...

Multi-User Password Database (password storage)
Dear All I'm after a multi-User password database so that I can centrally store system passwords and give granular access to individuals based on their own unique authentication (possibly a securID token). I've been keeping a watchful eye for such a system but to no avail ..... has anybody come across such a system? ... I'll be most grateful top hear about such a system! The password databases that I've come across make _all_ passwords available to anyone who has access ... and the access to the database is authenticated by a single password. To use such a system you can possibly have a database per function (unix admin, NT admin, network admin) with different passwords for each. But this means that some people may potentially have passwords to systems which aren't part of their responsibility and some people who perform multiple functions have to remember the password for more than one database. All a bit messy really It doesn't strike me as being all that difficult to store the passwords in an Oracle (or similar) database - with access to the DB as a whole being authenticated on a per user basis (possibly SecurID) and with access to the individual passwords in the database being limited to specific users or groups of users (standard DB functionality). I guess the Database would need to be encrypted (probably an internal function for the DB) and the network access to the system encrypted as well (possibly a Web based, S...

Web resources about - Re: Incorrect password or user Admin is not known on the database - comp.databases.informix

Politically Incorrect (blog) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the political blog. For the concept, see political correctness . For other uses, see Politically incorrect (disambiguation) ...

Incorrect sitting posture - slouching - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Back pain is the second most common reason people visits their GP (the first is the cold/flu) accounting for more than 7 million consultations ...

Joe Rogan and Mark Cuban on Politically Incorrect - YouTube
Joe Rogan on Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher and Mark Cuban

Politically incorrect
Politically incorrect

Brisbane man issued incorrect cremation certificate after council's grave error
... was left questioning whether was given the wrong ashes, after his wife was cremated at a Brisbane cemetery and the council issued an incorrect ...

Michelle Bridges wedding rumours incorrect: Tahiti was just a babymoon
RUMOURS are doing the rounds that Michelle Bridges and Steve &#8220;Commando&#8221; Willis are now married, having secretly tied the knot in ...

Incorrect answers in prep test books prove a real trial for students and their parents
You are not alone if you and your children were left scratching your heads over the answers in a book designed to prep students for the selective ...

NBC News' Brian Williams apologises for incorrect 2003 Iraq story
Brian Williams of NBC Nightly News apologised on his Wednesday broadcast for mistakenly saying he was aboard a helicopter that was hit by enemy ...

Politically incorrect cars
Politically incorrect cars

Clive Palmer incorrect on the number of executions in China
Clive Palmer got it wrong when he claimed the Chinese government executes 500,000 people a year.