RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #10

>>>Well, since we're bringing back the oldies, can we have a little
FORTRAN
>>>and a dash of PL1?
>>>sending to informix-list
>

>> Uhm Fortran is still in use.

>Actually yes..
>--
>Daniel A. Morgan

The intent was to reference the old IBM PL1 use and JCL in the IBM
370/3033.  I was just poking fun at the old punch card days.  I'm not a
real programmer, so excuse my FORTRAN comment! :)

Rob
sending to informix-list
0
Konikoff

RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g
OTC & Co.- This set me looking for a similar document for Informix Vs. SQL Server. I couldn't find one through the IIUG site or a Google search. Has anyone seen one? --EEM > -----Original Message----- > From: RollForward Wizard [mailto:rollforward@rollforward.com] > Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:46 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g > > This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient points, > especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing > that Oracle t...

RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #8
> Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> Can you understand now how pissed off the Informix community is? > > Actually yes I can ... and with good reason. But we are where we are > but bemoaning the loss of the original Borland will not bring back > Pascal either. Well, since we're bringing back the oldies, can we have a little FORTRAN and a dash of PL1? sending to informix-list Konikoff, Rob (Contractor) wrote: >>Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > > >>>Can you understand now how pissed off the Informix community is? >> >>Actually...

RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #3
It is with the deepest sincerity that I agree with Obnoxio... Brand awareness is life. If INFORMIX had the reputation of Oracle, I stand a 5 times better chance of re-employment after my current job ends. Rob -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Obnoxio The Clown Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:10 AM To: rollforward@rollforward.com Cc: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g RollForward Wizard said: > > This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salie...

RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #9
-----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of RollForward Wizard Sent: 25 November 2005 07:14 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g >Applications are the key. I recently downloaded some kind of Java >application, and it automagically installed Cloudscape, and Apache >to make it work. The application was the center of attention not >the database. It often gets into commodity reasoning, similar to >tape backup software when considering databases these days. But in &...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #2
RollForward Wizard said: > > This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient points, > especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing > that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of > money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a > better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and made a > new one that is actually better than any other product. Simply amazing. > All that money and they can't find anyone to make their technology better > than it is. ...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #11
DA Morgan drunkenly dribbled: > > Wether that is true or not it won't affect the survival or demise of > Informix. Informix is soon to join the ranks of other "they were once > well loved" databases: For example Pick which can still be purchased. > We have one company here in Seattl still using it to build grocery > store inventory systems. "Whether". "For example,". "Seattle". Stay off the Buckfast when you're posting. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il f...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #5
RollForward Wizard said: > > Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> RollForward Wizard said: >>> This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient points, >>> especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing >>> that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of >>> money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a >>> better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and made a >>> new one that is actually better than any other product. Simpl...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #7
RollForward Wizard said: > > Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> RollForward Wizard said: >>> DA Morgan wrote: >>>> RollForward Wizard wrote: >>>>> Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> RollForward Wizard said: >>>>>> >>>>>>> This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient >>>>>>> points, >>>>>>> especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is >>>>>>> amazing >>>>&g...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #4
DA Morgan said: > > RollForward Wizard wrote: >> Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> >>> RollForward Wizard said: >>> >>>> This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient points, >>>> especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing >>>> that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of >>>> money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a >>>> better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and made &g...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #6
RollForward Wizard said: > > DA Morgan wrote: >> RollForward Wizard wrote: >>> Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >>> >>>> RollForward Wizard said: >>>> >>>>> This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient >>>>> points, >>>>> especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing >>>>> that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of >>>>> money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a >...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #12
Michael Segel wrote: > Art S. Kagel wrote: > grammer, so excuse my FORTRAN comment! :) > >>Hey, I loved PL/1, though my one true love is Modula2! If I had my >>druthers... >> >>Art S. Kagel > > Yeah I know its FORTRAN just like cobol should be COBOL. > But hey, I'm lazy. ;-) > > It comes as no surprise that DA Maroon loves Pascal. (Its only intended > purpose was as a teaching language.) But then again, IBM's first attempt at > TCP/IP on the mainframe was written in Pascal. (I kid you not. Thank god > for LU6...

Re: Isolation levels in Informix vs Oracle #10
rkusenet said: > > "DA Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message > news:41d31d31$1_4@127.0.0.1... >> Obnoxio The Chav wrote: >> >> >>Does Informix >> >>have the concept of a save point (named point within a transaction you >> >>can later rollback to if required) ? >> > >> > >> > Red herring. >> >> Why so? It is part of the ANSI standard is it not? > > since when commitment to ANSI standard a point to debate. AFAIK Oracle > does not provide all ...

Re: Informix to Oracle Migration #10
DA Morgan said: > Art S. Kagel wrote: >> Hubert Hoelzl wrote: >> >>> Has Aubit now got an Esql/C compiler ? >>> >>>> Try aubit4gl.... >>> >>> >>> <SNIP> >> >> No but Orable does - ProC(?). Albeit not half as powerful as >> Informix's, but it should be sufficient to compile any independent >> ESQL/C code Girish has. >> >> Art S. Kagel > > When you find something Pro*C can't do let me know. It can't compile COBOL. -- Bye now, Obnoxio...

Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? #10
Well, this is a fine example of _doing something_ instead of _just complaining_ (which I sould do more often...). Certainly you have a remarkable tool here, could it be used ? does it runs on windows? Chucho! Marco Greco wrote: > > ...... > Not to blow my own trumpet, but if you want a dbaccess like tool with > cursor control, placeholders, variables, hashes, control statements, > input and output streams, interaction with the OS, 4gl & c formatting, > API for external functions, ability to access multiple vendors database > engines at th...

RE: Informix 10
www.ibm.com/informix -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of svs Sent: 15 March 2005 03:15 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Informix 10 Hello everyone! could anyone tell me about version 10? what is it? is it an upgrade to 9.4 version or a completely new release? is it free or not... I mean if you have informix support already? or maybe I could find some documentation about it? I would appreciate any help I can get!!!! thank you in advance >>> sending to informix-l...

RE: Senior Oracle DBA now Learning Informix by Request #10
Thanks Obbie, I was confused by Daniel's smartarse response especially since I have been known to defend him as he has been quite helpful when I have posted for help in the Oracle forums. Here I was merely using my admittedly limited knowledge about oracle to offer oracle's own words from their website regarding their recent numbers..... which clearly said 9%. Daniel offered up a yahoo website for his numbers. I did not attempt to interpret Oracle's numbers for my own purposes, they are Oracle's number. =20 What $1 and $2 have to do with 9% I don't know.......

Ping
Hi everybody, i have a problem with the Windows utillity PING. if i try to ping an ip-adress (i.e 10.10.10.10) everything works correct: the host with the ip adress 10.10.10.10 answers. now i try to ping the adress 10.10.10.010 -> this should be the same host as the one mentioned above. But in this case the host with the ip-adress 10.10.10.8 (!!!) answers! My Question: what is the difference between 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.10.010? This problem appears with multiple ip-adresses: have a try? Thx, Chris Once upon a newsgroup, Sponegbob claimed: ] now i try to ping the...

Re: Off Topic: Re: Informix Job Posting
Juan Manuel de Villeros said: > On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:52:42 -0500, Data Goob <datagoob@hotmail.com> > wrote: >> Mark Townsend wrote: >> > Data Goob wrote: >> > >> >> >> >> By the way I heard the buzz on the floor at the Oracle conference >> >> this week was that most of the people attending were from India. >> >> Probably will be more beneficial next conference to just host it >> >> in India to help all those companies doing the outsourcing save >> >> even more money by n...

RE: informix vs oracle
Man, are you just trawling or what :-? > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of utkanbir > Sent: 17 March 2005 15:34 > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: informix vs oracle > > Hi Gurus , > > After 7 years with informix and 2 years with oracle , these are my own > comments about them. All the comments / corrections are wellcomed: > > 1. backup / restore > > informix : the backup set is a complete object . It does not depend > anything .It can ...

RE: Informix and RAID #10
Hi Art, You certainly make a strong argument against RAID 5. I'm wondering what you reaction is to some of the reasons we have chosen to use RAID 5 in the past. Namely: About 4 years ago when we purchased our database servers, some of them were 4-way systems with 12 8G drives and some were 2-way's with 6 drives. On the servers with 6 drives we didn't have much choice. Due to the size of the database, we had to use RAID 5 to get the space we needed (5 drives in a RAID 5 and 1 hot spare). On the servers with 12 drives we have experimented with different options. One...

RE: Informix vs. Oracle
PS. Off the subject ... Did you know that the Star index, that runs on the star scheme structure, has been patented by Redbrick, and cannot be used by anyone else. Oracle tried to copy Redbrick on this, and when it comes to star schemas, is still faster than the other DBMS's, but like you say, they all have pros and cons - I am also an Informix man. Very good technology (Redbrick that is). -----Original Message----- From: Obnoxio The Clown [mailto:obnoxio@hotmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 6:47 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Informix vs. Oracle ...

RE: Informix marketing #10
Data Goob wrote > > > > > > F**ked off of Stevenage > What does this mean? Where is Stevenage? This is an expleted that I have mangled. It is to show my exasperation with Icon Connect. Stevenage is a wonderful town in England that was made a 'New Town' in the 1960's which is an overspill for London. Made famous in 1967 for the film "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush" http://www.timeout.com/film/review.php?id=71958&redirect=true It is also the biggest office of my employer (the building is coincidentally called The Icon) t...

RE: informix vs oracle #3
I'll have to remember that quote. Modified of course to suit Oracle aficionados. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of DA Morgan Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 1:27 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: informix vs oracle Mark wrote: >>Similar functionality exists in Oracle. > > >>Perhaps I am missing something ... is there some point to this >>thread other than an invitation to a good old fashioned flame-war? > > > Cannot see anything wrong with that. ...

Re: informix market share #10
MBPP said: > > In the past 20 years I worked with DB2, Rdb, SQL Server and now Oracle. But not with Informix. And since you're posting on comp.databases.informix, might I suggest UPDATE STATISTICS? -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a...

Web resources about - RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #10 - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.