RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g

OTC & Co.-
	This set me looking for a similar document for Informix Vs. SQL
Server.  I couldn't find one through the IIUG site or a Google search.
Has anyone seen one?

					--EEM

sending to informix-list
0
Everett

RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #10
>>>Well, since we're bringing back the oldies, can we have a little FORTRAN >>>and a dash of PL1? >>>sending to informix-list > > >> Uhm Fortran is still in use. >Actually yes.. >-- >Daniel A. Morgan The intent was to reference the old IBM PL1 use and JCL in the IBM 370/3033. I was just poking fun at the old punch card days. I'm not a real programmer, so excuse my FORTRAN comment! :) Rob sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #11
DA Morgan drunkenly dribbled: > > Wether that is true or not it won't affect the survival or demise of > Informix. Informix is soon to join the ranks of other "they were once > well loved" databases: For example Pick which can still be purchased. > We have one company here in Seattl still using it to build grocery > store inventory systems. "Whether". "For example,". "Seattle". Stay off the Buckfast when you're posting. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #12
Michael Segel wrote: > Art S. Kagel wrote: > grammer, so excuse my FORTRAN comment! :) > >>Hey, I loved PL/1, though my one true love is Modula2! If I had my >>druthers... >> >>Art S. Kagel > > Yeah I know its FORTRAN just like cobol should be COBOL. > But hey, I'm lazy. ;-) > > It comes as no surprise that DA Maroon loves Pascal. (Its only intended > purpose was as a teaching language.) But then again, IBM's first attempt at > TCP/IP on the mainframe was written in Pascal. (I kid you not. Thank god > for LU6.2.... ;-) > > C is such a beautiful language. And so too is Java. > But lets not forget some things like LISP and Objective-C > > But hey we're way off topic now... > Were we ever ON topic? Art S. Kagel sending to informix-list Well I like FALWIR... a language a friend invented a long time ago. Flob's Allpurpose Language for WrIting and Reading.... Don't ask why his nickname was Flob it just was! ...

RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #8
> Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> Can you understand now how pissed off the Informix community is? > > Actually yes I can ... and with good reason. But we are where we are > but bemoaning the loss of the original Borland will not bring back > Pascal either. Well, since we're bringing back the oldies, can we have a little FORTRAN and a dash of PL1? sending to informix-list Konikoff, Rob (Contractor) wrote: >>Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > > >>>Can you understand now how pissed off the Informix community is? >> >>Actually yes I can ... and with good reason. But we are where we are >>but bemoaning the loss of the original Borland will not bring back >>Pascal either. > > > Well, since we're bringing back the oldies, can we have a little FORTRAN > and a dash of PL1? > sending to informix-list I got a tear in my eye when Oracle DBA_THRESHOLDS with column values such as GT, LT, EQ, and NE. It was not a tear of joy. ;-) -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) M Segel wrote: > Konikoff, Rob (Contractor) wrote: > > >>>Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> >>>>Can you understand now how pissed off the Informix community is? >>> >>>Actually yes I can ... and with good reason. But we are where we are >>>but bemoaning the loss of the original Bor...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #7
RollForward Wizard said: > > Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> RollForward Wizard said: >>> DA Morgan wrote: >>>> RollForward Wizard wrote: >>>>> Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> RollForward Wizard said: >>>>>> >>>>>>> This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient >>>>>>> points, >>>>>>> especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is >>>>>>> amazing >>>>>>> that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount >>>>>>> of >>>>>>> money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a >>>>>>> better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and >>>>>>> made >>>>>>> a >>>>>>> new one that is actually better than any other product. Simply >>>>>>> amazing. >>>>>>> All that money and they can't find anyone to make their technology >>>>>>> better >>>>>>> than it is. They must have their priorities wrong, spending so >>>>>>> much >>>>>>> money >>>>>>> on sales and marketing. :-) >>>>>>> ...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #4
DA Morgan said: > > RollForward Wizard wrote: >> Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> >>> RollForward Wizard said: >>> >>>> This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient points, >>>> especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing >>>> that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of >>>> money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a >>>> better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and made >>>> a >>>> new one that is actually better than any other product. Simply >>>> amazing. >>>> All that money and they can't find anyone to make their technology >>>> better >>>> than it is. They must have their priorities wrong, spending so much >>>> money >>>> on sales and marketing. :-) >>>> >>>> RE: http://www.IIUG.org/resources/articles/IDS10vsOracle10g.pdf >>> >>> >>> You're pushing on an open door, trust me. I don't think there's a >>> single >>> person who uses Informix who doesn't wish that Informix and IBM were as >>> effective at creating brand awareness for Informix as Oracle is. >>> >>> And then you'll find plenty of people who say Oracle don'...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #5
RollForward Wizard said: > > Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >> RollForward Wizard said: >>> This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient points, >>> especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing >>> that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of >>> money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a >>> better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and made a >>> new one that is actually better than any other product. Simply >>> amazing. >>> All that money and they can't find anyone to make their technology >>> better >>> than it is. They must have their priorities wrong, spending so much >>> money >>> on sales and marketing. :-) >>> >>> RE: http://www.IIUG.org/resources/articles/IDS10vsOracle10g.pdf >> >> You're pushing on an open door, trust me. I don't think there's a single >> person who uses Informix who doesn't wish that Informix and IBM were as >> effective at creating brand awareness for Informix as Oracle is. >> >> And then you'll find plenty of people who say Oracle don't spend ENOUGH >> on >> sales and marketing. >> > > If you're IBM or any company, you have to have something to sell, and a > market > that...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #6
RollForward Wizard said: > > DA Morgan wrote: >> RollForward Wizard wrote: >>> Obnoxio The Clown wrote: >>> >>>> RollForward Wizard said: >>>> >>>>> This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient >>>>> points, >>>>> especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing >>>>> that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of >>>>> money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a >>>>> better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and made >>>>> a >>>>> new one that is actually better than any other product. Simply >>>>> amazing. >>>>> All that money and they can't find anyone to make their technology >>>>> better >>>>> than it is. They must have their priorities wrong, spending so much >>>>> money >>>>> on sales and marketing. :-) >>>>> >>>>> RE: http://www.IIUG.org/resources/articles/IDS10vsOracle10g.pdf >>>> >>>> >>>> You're pushing on an open door, trust me. I don't think there's a >>>> single >>>> person who uses Informix who doesn't wish that Informix and IBM were >>>> as...

RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #9
-----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of RollForward Wizard Sent: 25 November 2005 07:14 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g >Applications are the key. I recently downloaded some kind of Java >application, and it automagically installed Cloudscape, and Apache >to make it work. The application was the center of attention not >the database. It often gets into commodity reasoning, similar to >tape backup software when considering databases these days. But in >the high-performance space this is where the database becomes the >application and in that context a meaningful, something-remembered >discussion can happen if this-or-that database is said to be better >or worse. But when in an application mindset, where the database is >not the center of attention, you, just like a manager, couldn't care >less where the database comes from, as long as the application runs, >and doesn't fall down. I am a little behind on this thread - my apologies. I just want to comment - I do feel this would depend on the size of your organisation. In large organisations, even if you are application driven / focused, it will start to matter what DB you use - because of the maintenance costs (direct and indirect) involved. sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #2
RollForward Wizard said: > > This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient points, > especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing > that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of > money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a > better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and made a > new one that is actually better than any other product. Simply amazing. > All that money and they can't find anyone to make their technology better > than it is. They must have their priorities wrong, spending so much money > on sales and marketing. :-) > > RE: http://www.IIUG.org/resources/articles/IDS10vsOracle10g.pdf You're pushing on an open door, trust me. I don't think there's a single person who uses Informix who doesn't wish that Informix and IBM were as effective at creating brand awareness for Informix as Oracle is. And then you'll find plenty of people who say Oracle don't spend ENOUGH on sales and marketing. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a par...

RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g #3
It is with the deepest sincerity that I agree with Obnoxio... Brand awareness is life. If INFORMIX had the reputation of Oracle, I stand a 5 times better chance of re-employment after my current job ends. Rob -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Obnoxio The Clown Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:10 AM To: rollforward@rollforward.com Cc: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g RollForward Wizard said: > > This is awesome work. I think it touches on some very salient points, > especially regarding virtual processors and threading. It is amazing > that Oracle technology could have gone so wrong despite the amount of > money they have as a company, and how they could not come up with a > better engine--or why haven't they dumped the current engine and made a > new one that is actually better than any other product. Simply amazing. > All that money and they can't find anyone to make their technology better > than it is. They must have their priorities wrong, spending so much money > on sales and marketing. :-) > > RE: http://www.IIUG.org/resources/articles/IDS10vsOracle10g.pdf You're pushing on an open door, trust me. I don't think there's a single person who uses Informix who doesn't wish that Informix and IBM were as effective at creating brand awareness for Informix as Or...

Re: Isolation levels in Informix vs Oracle #10
rkusenet said: > > "DA Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message > news:41d31d31$1_4@127.0.0.1... >> Obnoxio The Chav wrote: >> >> >>Does Informix >> >>have the concept of a save point (named point within a transaction you >> >>can later rollback to if required) ? >> > >> > >> > Red herring. >> >> Why so? It is part of the ANSI standard is it not? > > since when commitment to ANSI standard a point to debate. AFAIK Oracle > does not provide all ...

RE: Informix vs. Oracle
PS. Off the subject ... Did you know that the Star index, that runs on the star scheme structure, has been patented by Redbrick, and cannot be used by anyone else. Oracle tried to copy Redbrick on this, and when it comes to star schemas, is still faster than the other DBMS's, but like you say, they all have pros and cons - I am also an Informix man. Very good technology (Redbrick that is). -----Original Message----- From: Obnoxio The Clown [mailto:obnoxio@hotmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 6:47 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Informix vs. Oracle ...

RE: informix vs oracle
Man, are you just trawling or what :-? > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of utkanbir > Sent: 17 March 2005 15:34 > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: informix vs oracle > > Hi Gurus , > > After 7 years with informix and 2 years with oracle , these are my own > comments about them. All the comments / corrections are wellcomed: > > 1. backup / restore > > informix : the backup set is a complete object . It does not depend > anything .It can ...

Re: Informix to Oracle Migration #10
DA Morgan said: > Art S. Kagel wrote: >> Hubert Hoelzl wrote: >> >>> Has Aubit now got an Esql/C compiler ? >>> >>>> Try aubit4gl.... >>> >>> >>> <SNIP> >> >> No but Orable does - ProC(?). Albeit not half as powerful as >> Informix's, but it should be sufficient to compile any independent >> ESQL/C code Girish has. >> >> Art S. Kagel > > When you find something Pro*C can't do let me know. It can't compile COBOL. -- Bye now, Obnoxio...

RE: Informix vs. Oracle #2
-----Original Message----- From: Obnoxio The Clown [mailto:obnoxio@hotmail.com] Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 4:17 PM Dirk Moolman wrote: > > PS. Off the subject ... Did you know that the Star index, that runs on > the star scheme structure, has been patented by Redbrick, and cannot be > used by anyone else. Oracle tried to copy Redbrick on this, and when it > comes to star schemas, is still faster than the other DBMS's, but like you > say, they all have pros and cons - I am also an Informix man. > > Very good technology (Redbrick that is...

RE: informix vs oracle #3
I'll have to remember that quote. Modified of course to suit Oracle aficionados. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of DA Morgan Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 1:27 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: informix vs oracle Mark wrote: >>Similar functionality exists in Oracle. > > >>Perhaps I am missing something ... is there some point to this >>thread other than an invitation to a good old fashioned flame-war? > > > Cannot see anything wrong with that. ...

RE: informix vs oracle #2
>Similar functionality exists in Oracle. >Perhaps I am missing something ... is there some point to this >thread other than an invitation to a good old fashioned flame-war? Cannot see anything wrong with that. I think we are almost duty bound to do it. Happens regularly enough. Perhaps we should make it a scheduled event? sending to informix-list Mark wrote: >>Similar functionality exists in Oracle. > > >>Perhaps I am missing something ... is there some point to this >>thread other than an invitation to a good old fashioned flame-war?...

Re: Isolation levels in Informix vs Oracle
--0__=09BBE5F8DFCEEE0B8f9e8a93df938690918c09BBE5F8DFCEEE0B Content-type: multipart/alternative; Boundary="1__=09BBE5F8DFCEEE0B8f9e8a93df938690918c09BBE5F8DFCEEE0B" --1__=09BBE5F8DFCEEE0B8f9e8a93df938690918c09BBE5F8DFCEEE0B Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable Oracle works differently from all other databases. Informix, DB2 UDB, = MS SQL Server, Sybase, MySQL all use Isolation Levels to determine how dat= a is locked as it is read. The naming of the isolation levels is not consis= tent among various vend...

Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? #10
Well, this is a fine example of _doing something_ instead of _just complaining_ (which I sould do more often...). Certainly you have a remarkable tool here, could it be used ? does it runs on windows? Chucho! Marco Greco wrote: > > ...... > Not to blow my own trumpet, but if you want a dbaccess like tool with > cursor control, placeholders, variables, hashes, control statements, > input and output streams, interaction with the OS, 4gl & c formatting, > API for external functions, ability to access multiple vendors database > engines at th...

RE: Senior Oracle DBA now Learning Informix by RequestofCompany:IThought Informix was Dead?
Guys, Guys... The original post was serious. I hope the original guy is still reading these posts on his thread...... and is getting a feeling for how easy it is to admin Informix....... we spend far more time joking around than we do patching/upgrading informix.... Wooo hooooo Norma Jean Sebastian ERP Support Administration GIS- Enterprise Technical Services=20 -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of John Carlson Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 10:26 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Senior Oracle DBA now Learning Informix by RequestofCompany:IThought Informix was Dead? On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:28:14 -0500, Serge Rielau <srielau@ca.ibm.com> wrote: >John Carlson wrote: >> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:41:56 -0000, "Captain Pedantic" >> <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> wrote: >>=20 >>> "Ian Michael Gumby" <im_gumby@hotmail.com> wrote in message=20 >>> news:mailman.503.1165625626.29126.informix-list@iiug.org... >>> >>>> Well, Janet P. did try her best to kill it, but in the end, she was sunset=20 >>>> before Informix was. ;-) >>> When did "sunset" become a transitive verb? Or in fact a verb of any kind?=20 >>> >>=20 >>=20 >> So you're wondering when 'sunset' was verbed? 8-) >>=20...

Re: Isolation levels in Informix vs Oracle #15
DA Morgan said: > Obnoxio The Chav wrote: > >> DA Morgan said: >> >>>>>that as other jobs utilize resources it refines its estimate taking >>>>> them >>>>>into account. >>>> >>>>Yeah, that would never happen in the way I coded my progress >>>> monitoring. >>>>Gee, let me switch to Oracle right away, it does things that I have a >>>>library for. >>> >>>Yeah. Why would anyone want, built-in and included in a product, >>>something...

Web resources about - RE: Informix 10 vs Oracle 10g - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.