RE: Informix 9.4 Arcserve 11 Unable to open connection to database server

 Rochelle wrote
> We're running Informix 9.4 on Windows 2000 Server (sp4) with Arcserve
> 11 Backup Agent for Informix.  These two pieces of software
> are installed on a "clean" machine (flattened and rebuilt).
> Just after the Informix 9.4 software and the Arcserve agent
> was installed, I ran a full backup from the Arcserve Manager
> server.  It worked just fine.
> The DBA started tweaking the Informix server to get it ready
> to import the data from our production database and now it
> won't allow us to back it up any more.  We get the Unable to
> open connection to database server 155 (0x9b) error.  I have
> another clean system that I installed a similar configuration
> on and it has continued to allow us to use Arcserve to back
> up the database (no changes were made to the Informix server
> configuration though).  A couple of other notes - the
> Arcserve manager resides on a separate server and all of the
> servers in my configuration are workgroup (not domain)
> servers.  We've compared the configurations of the two
> servers mentioned above and re-entered configuration data
> until we're blue in the face.  About the only thing we
> haven't done is uninstalled and/or re-installed any of the
> software.  Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing
> this problem?

What configuration files have you checked -
Services
Onconfig
Sqlhosts

Does the INFORMIXSERVER entry in onconfig match the entry in sqlhosts ?
Is this variable set in your environment ?

Colin Bull
C.bull@videonetworks.com

This email has been scanned for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Email
Security System.

sending to informix-list
0
Colin

"Colin Bull" <Colin.Bull@videonetworks.com> wrote in message news:<ce2cmf$dv9$1@news.xmission.com>...
> Rochelle wrote
> > We're running Informix 9.4 on Windows 2000 Server (sp4) with Arcserve
> > 11 Backup Agent for Informix.  These two pieces of software
> > are installed on a "clean" machine (flattened and rebuilt).
> > Just after the Informix 9.4 software and the Arcserve agent
> > was installed, I ran a full backup from the Arcserve Manager
> > server.  It worked just fine.
> > The DBA started tweaking the Informix server to get it ready
> > to import the data from our production database and now it
> > won't allow us to back it up any more.  We get the Unable to
> > open connection to database server 155 (0x9b) error.  I have
> > another clean system that I installed a similar configuration
> > on and it has continued to allow us to use Arcserve to back
> > up the database (no changes were made to the Informix server
> > configuration though).  A couple of other notes - the
> > Arcserve manager resides on a separate server and all of the
> > servers in my configuration are workgroup (not domain)
> > servers.  We've compared the configurations of the two
> > servers mentioned above and re-entered configuration data
> > until we're blue in the face.  About the only thing we
> > haven't done is uninstalled and/or re-installed any of the
> > software.  Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing
> > this problem?
> >
> What configuration files have you checked -
> Services
> Onconfig
> Sqlhosts
>
> Does the INFORMIXSERVER entry in onconfig match the entry in sqlhosts ?
> Is this variable set in your environment ?
>
> Colin Bull
> C.bull@videonetworks.com

> This email has been scanned for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Email
> Security System.
>
> sending to informix-list

Yes, I've checked everything -
environment variables
sqlhosts (as configured in ISA - there is no sqlhosts file per se)
hosts
services
onconfig
the registry
alarmprogram.bat
onbar.bat
sm_versions
the CA Informix Agent & Batch Job configurations

Everything looks like it is set the way it is supposed to be or it
matches (in syntax) the server that is working with the same versions
of Arcserve and Informix.  This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  We
installed the software, I ran a backup from the CA manager and it
worked.  The DBA changed the configuration of the database and
imported data and it stopped working.  The DBA was able to get an ISM
backup to disk to work - which also uses onbar.  He didn't get the
connection error when he did that.  But I still get the same "unable
to connect" error message when I try a CA backup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rochelle
0
radsitt

Informix 9.4 Arcserve 11 Unable to open connection to database server
We're running Informix 9.4 on Windows 2000 Server (sp4) with Arcserve 11 Backup Agent for Informix. These two pieces of software are installed on a "clean" machine (flattened and rebuilt). Just after the Informix 9.4 software and the Arcserve agent was installed, I ran a full backup from the Arcserve Manager server. It worked just fine. The DBA started tweaking the Informix server to get it ready to import the data from our production database and now it won't allow us to back it up any more. We get the Unable to open connection to database server 155 (0x9b) error. I have another clean system that I installed a similar configuration on and it has continued to allow us to use Arcserve to back up the database (no changes were made to the Informix server configuration though). A couple of other notes - the Arcserve manager resides on a separate server and all of the servers in my configuration are workgroup (not domain) servers. We've compared the configurations of the two servers mentioned above and re-entered configuration data until we're blue in the face. About the only thing we haven't done is uninstalled and/or re-installed any of the software. Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this problem? Thanks, Rochelle ...

Re: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #4
Hi howie. It seems no problem for me.(contains /etc/serivces) What host are you encountering -930 error ? i.e) oninit under arcdb ? OR oniint under baan ? if baan, delete arcdb from DBSERVERALIASES. try the following. % setenv INFORMIXSERVER baan Here is my configuration. hostname : cspc08 sqlhosts [~/conf]% cat $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts tsutoo930uc3 onsoctcp cspc08 tsutoo930uc3 tsutoo731ud6_tcp onsoctcp guntank 32488 tsutoo940uc2_tcp onsoctcp cspc08 32445 I use ts...

RE: daily migration of Informix 9.4 databases from AIX to RedHat
What is that HPL Replication option about? I really would appreciate if you explain it Thanks in advance -----Mensaje original----- De: Richard Kofler [mailto:richard.kofler@chello.at] Enviado el: Lunes, 11 de Agosto de 2003 12:21 p.m. Para: informix-list@iiug.org Asunto: Re: daily migration of Informix 9.4 databases from AIX to RedHat Stefan Voets wrote: > > Hi, > > we are running 2 informix 9.4 instances on two separate machines > > srv1 AIX p-series server (AIX 5.1) & IDS 9.40.FC1 > srv2 intel hardware with redhat linux (8.0) ...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #4
In my personal opinion, why bother using ufsdump when you could restore with ontape. Don't forget that all chunk structures must be the same but that ontape & ufsdump might not read & write the same way, thus creating incompatibilities. There is gain in using ufsdump versus the potential problems just like the one you encountered. Andr� >From: St�phane Gadoury <stephane.gadoury@transat.com> >To: <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server >Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:54:50 -0500 >...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Re: Informix database creation #4
Well I dont know! I was given this advice from Infomix Support Group only Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ It's raining movies. Bollywood is flooded. http://server1.msn.co.in/features/augustmovies03/index.asp August has arrived! sending to informix-list ...

Informix 9.4 restore using SQL BT 3.7 (64 bit) fails after upgrade of Informix to 9.4 from 9.3
I am getting the following error when I run the restore: dm_write_disk_object_obsi: WRITE for file (Obsi Pipe) (filedes (0) length (31388)) failed. OBSI SDK Error (Bad file number (9)) Has anyone seen this error before? The restore of the rootdbspace ran fine..Anyone know of any known issues performing restores after upgrading from Informix 9.3 to 9.4. This is on a Solaris box and the Backup vendor is Syncsort Backup Express ...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #4
Hi Uday, We did considered using the HPL but only because that was the only thing available and it takes a lot of configuration work, we are kinnda short on time and the product we are working on will be deployed to various other clients so we were looking for a generic solution. By the way is there a way of running HPL without creating its underlying database and stuff. I mean just run it like a command line utility more like bulk loader available for SQL server? Thanks and Regards, Aash -----Original Message----- From: Uday Kale [mailto:udayk@us.ibm.com] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 9:25 PM To: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai Cc: informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same schema(=table definition). Regards, Uday. Inactive hide details for "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" ' src="cid:437041605@12122005-1cb3" width=16 border=0>"Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" <Aashishsr@hcl.in> "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" <Aashishsr@hcl.in> Sent by: owner-informix-list@iiug.org 12/09/2005 07:01 AM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using ...

How to keep an Informix database connection open in a shell script?
Using dbaccess I am trying to keep a database connection open in a shell script until I want to close it. It may be easiest to explain what I'm trying to do with a simple shell script which works fine for DB2. db2 -v "connect to $DATABASE" db2 -v "set current schema dba" db2 -v "create table test (col1 int not null) in userspace1" while [ $i -le 10 ] do db2 -v "insert into test(col1) values($i)" (( i=i+1 )) done db2 -v "commit work" db2 -v "connect reset" db2 -v "terminate" If I try similar logic with informix, the database is repeatedly opened and closed: echo "database $DATABASE;" |dbaccess Database selected. Database closed. echo "insert into test(col1) values($i);" | dbaccess -e $DATABASE Database selected. insert into test(col1) values(1); 1 row(s) inserted. Database closed. With Informix's dbaccess, is there a way I can open the database once, perform the inserts, and then close the database, similar to the way I can for DB2? Thanks. --_10ba0c1c-0ac1-4468-a373-57b4eafed8fb_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Try using the sqlcmd suite of tools available from the iiug repository. Signature > Date: Wed=2C 29 Aug 2012 00:05:43 -0700 > Subject: How to keep an Informix database connection open in a shell scri= pt? > From: davies...

RE: INFORMIX-SE 4.11,UC1 how to connect?
ph You need to login as Informix, access an SQL session and run the command "GRANT CONNECT to PUBLIC" against your database. Keith -> -----Original Message----- -> From: ph [mailto:piotr_h@tlen.pl] -> Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:32 AM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: Re: INFORMIX-SE 4.11,UC1 how to connect? ->=20 ->=20 -> Thanks for your answer ->=20 -> But because I'm completely new in INFORMIX and UNIX area, -> I have some additional problems with this export. -> This is short description how it looks in my situation: -> 1.Informix directory is -> /usr/informix -> 2.Databases are located in -> /users/gw_ver01/gw/db_gw.dbs -> /users/gw_ver02/db/db_gw.dbs -> 3.From /usr/Informix/bin I run dbschema -> ./dbschema -t all -d /users/gw_ver01/gw/db_gw ->=20 -> and I get message: ->=20 -> DBSCHEMA Schema Utility INFORMIX-SQL Version 4.11.UC1 -> Copyright (C) Informix Software, Inc., 1984-1991 -> Software Serial Number AAA#E871595 -> No connect permission. ->=20 -> 4.I'm in Informix group but work on my own account -> What other permission do I need? ->=20 -> _______________________________________________ -> Informix-list mailing list -> Informix-list@iiug.org -> http://www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/informix-list ->=20 ***************************************************************************...

RE: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance
Howard, If you are merely adding a new database to the same instance you don't need to play around with SQLHOSTS or DBSERVERALIAS. The database is a subset of the instance. When users access the new archive database they will need to use a different database name. Can they do that? What tools do your users use for database access? I note from your time of Posting that we are in the same timezone. If you want to talk through what you are trying to achieve send me an email offline and we can set up a voice call. Regards Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: o...

Error executing remote system command on an AIX Informix database from an NT Informix Server
Dear All, I realise there are many queries and answers already posted on a similar topic, but none seem to be able to get this working. I have two informix servers, one on Windows NT and one on AIX 4.3. Informix NT (7.31) Informix AIX (7.xx) I have a stored procedure on the unix box with a system command SYSTEM '/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env > /tmp/mylog' I have set up the trust, so that I can connect to the AIX instance as informix from the NT server. I connect from the NT server to the AIX instance as informix and execute the procedure. I get the following error - 668 Command cannot be executed 127 No Primary Key I think that the 127 error number is from the shell execution. The /tmp/mylog file is created but with no values. Even if I replace it with an echo hello command I get an empty file. Having read one of Jonathan Leffler's responses, the SHELL environment variables needs to be set to the the Shell of the remote system. In my case that is 'set SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh' . I did this and it still didn't work. Am I missing further environment variables as I am executing the procedure from NT. Has anyone managed to do this? Many thanks in advance, Nick Have you tryed it on aix itself?? does that work?? try: SYSTEM "(/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env 2>&1) > /tmp/nonexistingfile"; -- check what is in nonexistingfile or SYSTEM "(/usr/bin/ksh ...

daily migration of Informix 9.4 databases from AIX to RedHat
Hi, we are running 2 informix 9.4 instances on two separate machines srv1 AIX p-series server (AIX 5.1) & IDS 9.40.FC1 srv2 intel hardware with redhat linux (8.0) & IDS 9.40.UC1 There are a couple of dbspaces that should be equalized every night. At the moment we are using load/unloads to realize this, but the entire process takes to long to complete during one night ... I considered following options : a) HDR : different OS'ses => not possible b) ER : had a bad experience with this => not an option c) ONBAR backup/restore => not possible because...

Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
I found a solution, It worked well with tcp connections, Looks like perl's Informix DBD Module doesn't like shared memory connections,at least with my versions. But I can live with tcp connections. Thanks anyway. I have other question , Does anybody knows how to actually get the number of rows returned/affected in a query with perl ? I tried with : $nrows=$sth->rows(); always returned 0. $nrows = $sth->{ix_sqlerrd}[2] always returned 0 too. Any ideas ? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralag...

Re: Open source sql client for accessing Informix database
http://www.4glworks.com/sqsl.htm mc4u wrote: > Does anyone have any recommendations or information on an open source > sql client for accessing Informix databases. I would like to use a > client similar to the one I've used in the past for accessing Oracle > databases, SQLPlus. > > -- Ciao, Marco ______________________________________________________________________________ Marco Greco /UK /IBM Standard disclaimers apply! Informix faq http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/informix.htm 4glworks http://www.4glworks.com Informix on Linux http://www.4glworks.com/ifmxlinux.htm sending to informix-list Tried to email you but it bounced... Your web site gives your email address as mailto:marco@4glworks.com but this bounces! email me at david@smooth1.co.uk ...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #4
True there are issues but it's a easy solution to the problem, gets round the 'can not rename chunks' issue, no need to hassle about mirroring etc But the original post said going to internal disks so there will not be a name clash. On 10/17/05, Paul Watson <pwatson@irace.com> wrote: > > On 17 Oct 2005 15:26:36 -0700, david@smooth1.co.uk <david@smooth1.co.uk> > wrote: > > > > > > Paul Watson wrote: > > > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from > > the > > > old slice to the internal disk and then > > > just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location > > > > > > > > > > > > I'm guess this a Solaris platform..and then someone runs devfsadm that > > rebuilds /dev and removes your links! > > > > Or someone adds a new device and Solaris wants to use that name! > > > > Bad idea to store stuff under /dev. That directory is for the OS > > to control not you. > > > > If you are running on IDS 9.40 or IDS 10 then ontape has the ability to > > rename chunks during a restore. > > > > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0405fan/ > > > > > > > > > -- > Paul Watson > Tel: +44 7818 003457 > Fax: +44 1436 678693 > ...

RE: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #2
Hi Howard. Can you post your sqlhosts,DBSERVERALIAS of oncofig and /etc/services ? Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan . ICQ#:168106592 >From: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >Reply-To: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance >Date: 17 Feb 2004 02:33:01 -0800 > >Informix 9.21.FC4 >HPUX 11.0 > >Hello all, > >DFirstly I wish to thank eveyone who helped me populate the archive >database on our Informix system. All went well over the last weeke...

Re: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #3
Hi again. Execute the following command. /usr/sbin/ping arcdb e.g) etorofu 27: /usr/sbin/ping bygzam -n 3 PING bygzam: 64 byte packets 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=0. time=6. ms 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=1. time=0. ms 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=2. time=0. ms ----bygzam PING Statistics---- 3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 0/2/6 If you can not correct result from ping, resolve hostname first. Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 >From: &qu...

Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server
KW Foo wrote: > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > application and the data and restore to another server. > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server using > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to another > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the Informix > chunk directories after we shutdown the Informix using "onmode -ky". > > We a...

Re: Database replication with 9.4 #4
brett said: > > Has anybody used the data replication feature of IDS 9.4 ? > > For the manual it looks very exciting and will provide the solution for > our > proposed redundant database site. > > Any comments ? You mean mixing HDR and ER or what? -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Mar...

Re: RE: Informix and SQL Server #4
RTFMM is in order. But I hace something pending: That IDS could behave as an OLE DB provider. Anyone knows how to do it?... I believe that someone refere to this topic previously stating that some querys must be run first in order to IDS to work as a OLE DB provider. Another question is OLE DB better that ODBC? J. -----Original Message----- From: "Savio Pinto (s )" <spinto@cap.org> To: "Sebastian, Norma J." <NormaJean.Sebastian@tellabs.com>, "William Weaver" <wweaver@amicus.com> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:53:54 -0600 Subject: RE: Informix and SQL Server the books online(help) of sqlserver has pretty good information on how to create link servers, they have examples on how to setup a link server and how to run distributed queries. i beleive you can also use linked servers in DTS packages (including oracle), Here are few tips, i got it from the help section of sqlserver "DTS driver support for heterogeneous data types" The Merant Informix OLE DB provider is supported for DTS imports from Informix, but not DTS exports to Informix. This driver also cannot be used to import meta data. The Intersolv Informix ODBC driver is supported, but with the following restrictions: BLOBs cannot be exported to Informix. When creating new tables on Informix, the DTS Import/Export Wizard will incorrectly map the SQL Server 2000 datetime columns to the Informix 'Datetime year to fraction' data ...

Web resources about - RE: Informix 9.4 Arcserve 11 Unable to open connection to database server - comp.databases.informix

Alec Baldwin, Tommy Hilfiger and a Designer With a ‘Downton’ Connection
It was something of a British invasion at Michael’s today with plenty of posh folks (Majesty magazine EIC Ingrid Seward , the always dashing ...

Igniting Brand Growth Via Emotional Connections
Nobel Prize winning research in neuroscience and behavioral economics proves that all humans are irrational, emotional creatures. Both marketers ...

4G Connections Hit One Billion as Mobile Broadband Momentum Extends to the Developing World
The number of 4G mobile connections worldwide has surpassed the one billion mark and is on track to account for a third of all mobile connections ...

Deadpool Really Did Have A Major Connection To Marvel And The Avengers, Here's How
The Deadpool movie was full of a ton of Marvel related easter eggs, literally more than we could count. Most of them were obvious, a few were ...

Zika virus-microcephaly connection hunted in Brazil - CNN.com
Is the Zika virus linked to microcephaly? The CDC and Brazilian health officials are leading the first-ever large scale investigation to find ...

Larch Corrections Center’s father-daughter dance a time for connection
YACOLT Fathers wearing ties, suspenders and suit jackets wandered around the gymnasium, anxiously awaiting their daughters' arrival. As the girls ...

Smart city tech shows complex connections between data and sensors
... MWC, Parkeon and Sierra Wireless announced that Sierra Wireless AirPrime HL Series embedded modules will be used to enable cellular connections ...