RE: Informix database creation #2

Hi
   The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk
should have the offset as 600501 .

Regards

Ravinder Bahadur

Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d
Register in India's No 1 Matrimony.

sending to informix-list
0
Ravinder

"Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>    The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk
> should have the offset as 600501 .

Nonsense!

0
Neil

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: Informix database creation
The Raw device of 17Gb will not be useful to you on 7.31.FD6. You need to create then at 2Gb (maximum sizes are listed in your release notes), or upgrade to 9.40. Check onstat -d again...it suggests you have successfully created that dbspace and are trying to create it again. MW > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of Seweryn > Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2003 7:57 a.m. > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Informix database creation > > > Hi all, > > I'm new to Informix db (as you can probably deduct from my post). > I'm trying to add multiple dbspaces on one raw partition on Solaris 8 > Here is the what I currently have: > > $ onstat -d > Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FD6 -- On-Line -- Up 6 days > 00:23:01 -- 41984 Kbytes > Dbspaces > address number flags fchunk nchunks flags > owner name > b07a1c0 1 1 1 1 N informix > rootdbs > 1 active, 2047 maximum > Chunks > address chk/dbs offset size free bpages > flags pathname > b07a2a8 1 1 500 600000 18903 PO- > /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 > 1 active, 2047 maximum > > Here is what I'm trying to do and its result: > > When I try to create additional dbspace on that partition > (/d...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Informix database creation #3
Seweryn: When you run "onstat -d" - it gives size in terms of blocks (pagesize). It can be 2K or 4 K depending upon OS. You can find out the page size using "onstat -b | grep 'buffer' | awk '{print $10}' " - this will return page size in BYTES . When you create the dbspace using onspaces - you need to mention the size of the dbspace interms of "KBytes" example: In your OS, if you have Page size 2K - then you need to start the offset from 1200000, you can go only upto 800000 KB size of dbspace due to 2GB size limitation. try this .. let us know if you have any questions. Have a great time working with Informix Products. Thank You Ramesh Vasudevan .."Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up." - Winston Churchill Seweryn <pietruszewski@at To: informix-list@iiug.org t.com> cc: Sent by: Subject: Informix database cr...

Re: Start informix database #2
Hi.. This is an example INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$INFORMIXDIR/bin INFORMIXSERVER=coldecon_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.coldecon export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit INFORMIXSERVER=opera_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.opera export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit --- madiego <madiego@qf21.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The > server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default > database but not > the database that I created.I haven't errors. > The configuration of INFORMIXDIR, INFROMIXSERVER, > sqlhosts and > onconfig is correct. > > What can I do? > > Regards, > __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix database creation #4
Well I dont know! I was given this advice from Infomix Support Group only Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ It's raining movies. Bollywood is flooded. http://server1.msn.co.in/features/augustmovies03/index.asp August has arrived! sending to informix-list ...

Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #2
I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same schema(=table definition). Regards, Uday. "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" To <Aashishsr@hcl.in informix-list@iiug.org > cc Sent by: owner-informix-li Subject st@iiug.org Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases 12/09/2005 07:01 AM Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix. Any help will be appreciated. Th...

RE: How long can an Informix database name be? #2
The database name on SE is limited to 10 characters. This is an historical anomaly based on the fact that the database name was used as the directory name where that database will be stored. Directory names in early versions of unix were restricted to 14 characters, but that was including any extension, and as informix used dbname.dbs that restricted the database name to 10 characters. And beware - on some versions that ran on DOS it was further restricted to 8 characters - but that's another story. Regards Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Sebastian, Norma J. Sent: 11 January 2005 04:18 To: informix-list@iiug.org Cc: Mark Scranton ; Sebastian, Norma J. Subject: How long can an Informix database name be? Hi all, I have a customer with a "how long can a database name be?" question. The story is they have a standard engine, and lots of small databases, and they follow a certain naming standard for database names. They are using the informix engine as an embedded product, and he(customer) did not know the root or informix password on this system. First issue is... What IDS version.... Well.... I found tools like selog and secheck in $INFORMIXDIR/bin. When run, they show: Selog DBLOG: Transaction Log File Display C-ISAM Version 7.25.UC1 Secheck BCHECK C-ISAM B-tree Checker version 7.25.UC1 When I go into Isql,...

Re: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects #2
Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Christopher wrote: > > >>Can anyone recommend a good naming convention for database objects in >>Informix? >> >>Generally, I use my own variation on Hungarian, but I wondered if >>there is an equivalent of the RVBA (also known as Leszynski/Reddick) >>standard among Informix developers. >> >>I would also be thrilled to find a write-up I can reuse or just plain >>plagiarize. >> >>As an aside, this is to be implemented on IDS 9.4, so long identifiers >>are not an issue. > > > I generally prefix tables with this_is_a_table_called_, views with > this_is_a_view_called_, indexes with this_is_a_index_called_ ... ....And jokes with this_is_a_joke_ ... You shouldn't use your powers over the weak-minded for evil, Luke! I'm looking at a variable name in some 4GL code at the moment called g_f_or_p. Guess what values it generally contains? Now do you think I need to change it's name if I change it's contents?... Give people enough rope (chars), ... Cheers, -- Mark. +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+ | Mark D. Stock mailto:mdstock@MydasSolutions.com |//////// /| | Mydas Solutions Ltd http://MydasSolutions.com |///// / //| | +-----------------------------------+//// / ///| | |We value your comments, wh...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #2
Why pay someone ??? It's a trivial task On 10/17/05, Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > > <mccmx@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:1129561344.240798.314750@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Thats sounds promising. > > > > So effectively add a mirrored chunk to each dbspace using onspaces and > > then drop the original chunk. > > > > Can you do this for the rootdbs dbspace too...? > > > > Matt > > > > If it's a production system you might be better off paying someone who > knows > what they're doing to do this for you. > > -- > Neil Truby t:01932 724027 > Director m:07798 811708 > Ardenta Limited e:neil.truby@ardenta.com > > > > -- Paul Watson Tel: +44 7818 003457 Fax: +44 1436 678693 sending to informix-list ...

RE: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #2
Hi Howard. Can you post your sqlhosts,DBSERVERALIAS of oncofig and /etc/services ? Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan . ICQ#:168106592 >From: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >Reply-To: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance >Date: 17 Feb 2004 02:33:01 -0800 > >Informix 9.21.FC4 >HPUX 11.0 > >Hello all, > >DFirstly I wish to thank eveyone who helped me populate the archive >database on our Informix system. All went well over the last weekend >and we now have a live and an Archive database within the same >Informix instance. > >The problem I am now having is connecting to the new database. > >I have tried putting entries in the $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts file and >using the DBSERVERALIAS parameter within the $INFORMIXDIR/etc/onconfig >file but all this did was prevent the Instance from coming up after a >reboot, with the following error in the online.log > >"Sun Feb 15 23:37:58 2004 > >23:37:58 Event alarms enabled. ALARMPROG = >'/home/informix/etc/log_full.sh' >23:37:58 Booting Language <c> from module <> >23:37:58 Loading Module <CNULL> >23:37:58 Booting Language <builtin> from module <> >23:37:58 Loading Module <BUILTINNULL> >23:38:09 Informix Dynamic Server 2000 Version 9.21.FC4 >23:38:...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #2
This is from the -310 SQL errror code. Only one table with a given name can exist in a single database. (In an ANSI-compliant database, the name of the user that created a table name qualifies it, so one table of a given name per user can exist.) Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >Reply-To: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user >Date: 24 Aug 2005 23:22:39 -0700 > >Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and >hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and >googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at >all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the >same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list ...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #2
Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing memory Verify with ipcs -m Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release notes ( if should not impact, but you never know) If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE -----Message d'origine----- De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 � : informix-list@iiug.org Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server Check the release note in $INFORMIXDIR/release/*/*/ or look in the /etc/system on the working server KW Foo wrote: > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > &g...

Re: Open source sql client for accessing Informix database #2
works for me..... david@smooth1.co.uk wrote: > Tried to email you but it bounced... > > Your web site gives your email address as mailto:marco@4glworks.com > > but this bounces! > > email me at david@smooth1.co.uk > > -- Ciao, Marco ______________________________________________________________________________ Marco Greco /UK /IBM Standard disclaimers apply! Informix faq http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/informix.htm 4glworks http://www.4glworks.com Informix on Linux http://www.4glworks.com/ifmxlinux.htm sending to informix-list ...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have to have an Informix Database? I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! sending to informix-list ...

RE: Change database mode online using onmode in Informix #2
onmode -m takes the database server from quiescent or single-user mode to online mode. To bring the server from off-line to on-line, you should just use the oninit command. You could use the oninit -s to initialise shared memory and bring the server to single-user mode and then use onmode -m to bring it to multi-user mode. By the way, you should not use onmode -ky to shut down the server unless you are in quiescent mode. This will not perform a checkpoint and can, in some situations, lead to data loss or corruption. I recommend shutting down with onmode -yuk. This brings the database server to quiescent mode without waiting for users to finish their sessions. Their current transactions are rolled back, and their sessions are terminated. A checkpoint is completed and then database server goes to offline mode and database server shared memory is removed. The order of parameters is unimportant, but I use "onmode -yuk" because of the mnemonic value, at least for English speakers; say it out loud with me: "onmode -yuk (yuck) can avoid a big mess." I know its silly, but it sticks in the head. Check the IBM Informix Dynamic Server Administrator's Reference: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/html/25122680/25122680tfrm.htm Sincerely, Christopher Coleman Steering Committee President Kansas City Informix Users Group www.iiug.org/kciug Database Analyst Pharmacy Division Mediware Information Systems, Inc. -----Original ...

Re: get syntax error when loading data to a informix database #2
Umesh said: > Hi > I have ids 9.4 oon windows and csdk. l successfully connected > to the database using Visula Basic 6. > When l build a string for example > SQL1 = "select * from hse2 where field1 matches " & "'a*' > and execute using : DbaseConn.Execute (SQL1) it works fine. > > When l try to load data to a table : > SQL1 = "load from " & " 'd:\x.unl' " & " insert into hse2" > or > SQL1 = "load from 'd:\x.unl' insert into hse2 > > I get a syntax error -201. Anyone know why. Because the LOAD statement is specific to DBACCESS, not SQL. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed sending to informix-list ...

Informix database creation
Hi all, I'm new to Informix db (as you can probably deduct from my post). I'm trying to add multiple dbspaces on one raw partition on Solaris 8 Here is the what I currently have: $ onstat -d Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FD6 -- On-Line -- Up 6 days 00:23:01 -- 41984 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name b07a1c0 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs 1 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname b07a2a8 1 1 500 600000 18903 PO- /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 1 active, 2047 maximum Here is what I'm trying to do and its result: When I try to create additional dbspace on that partition (/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a raw partition), I type: $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 2000000 Chunk size + offset (2600500k) greater than 2097151k limit. So I lower the size of the chunk $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 1400000 The chunk specified already exists. Is there anything else that I'm missing? What is the command/procedure to add dbspace and/or chunk to raw partition that has already one dbspace and one chunk defined? FYI: /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a 17GB raw partition. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. -- Regards, Seweryn Pietruszewski pietruszewski@att.com On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:56:58 -0400, S...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2
Hi, ontape (in older versions) has a limitation of 2 GB only if TAPEDEV is a file in the file system. If TAPEDEV is an actual tape device, then this restriction does not apply. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 17:11:49: > Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is > done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but > you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical > recovery. > > If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may > need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, > then import it back to the primary instance. > > There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum > TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning > multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some > manual intervention). sending to informix-list ...

Web resources about - RE: Informix database creation #2 - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.