Re: Informix database creation #3

Seweryn:

When you run "onstat -d" - it gives size in terms of blocks (pagesize). It
can be 2K or 4 K depending upon OS.
You can find out the page size using "onstat -b | grep 'buffer' | awk
'{print $10}' " - this will return page size in BYTES .
 When you create the dbspace using onspaces - you need to mention the size
of the dbspace interms of "KBytes"

example: In your OS, if you have Page size 2K - then you need to start the
offset from 1200000, you can go only upto
800000 KB size of dbspace due to 2GB size limitation.

try this .. let us know if you have any questions.

Have a great time working with Informix Products.

Thank You
Ramesh Vasudevan

.."Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never
give up. Never give up."  - Winston Churchill

                      Seweryn
                      <pietruszewski@at        To:       informix-list@iiug.org
                      t.com>                   cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Informix database creation
                      owner-informix-li
                      st@iiug.org

                      08/06/03 03:56 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Seweryn

Hi all,

I'm new to Informix db (as you can probably deduct from my post).
I'm trying to add multiple dbspaces on one raw partition on Solaris 8
Here is the what I currently have:

$ onstat -d
Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FD6     -- On-Line -- Up 6 days
00:23:01 -- 41984 Kbytes
Dbspaces
address          number   flags    fchunk   nchunks  flags    owner    name
b07a1c0          1        1        1        1        N        informix
rootdbs
 1 active, 2047 maximum
Chunks
address          chk/dbs offset   size     free     bpages   flags pathname
b07a2a8          1   1   500      600000   18903             PO-
/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7
 1 active, 2047 maximum

Here is what I'm trying to do and its result:

When I try to create additional dbspace on that partition
(/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a raw partition), I type:
 $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 2000000
Chunk size + offset (2600500k) greater than 2097151k limit.

So I lower the size of the chunk
$ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 1400000
The chunk specified already exists.

Is there anything else that I'm missing?
What is the command/procedure to add dbspace and/or chunk to raw partition
that has already one dbspace and one chunk defined?
FYI: /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a 17GB raw partition.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,

Seweryn Pietruszewski
pietruszewski@att.com

sending to informix-list
0
ramesh

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: Informix database creation
The Raw device of 17Gb will not be useful to you on 7.31.FD6. You need to create then at 2Gb (maximum sizes are listed in your release notes), or upgrade to 9.40. Check onstat -d again...it suggests you have successfully created that dbspace and are trying to create it again. MW > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of Seweryn > Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2003 7:57 a.m. > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Informix database creation > > > Hi all, > > I'm new to Informix db (as you can probably deduct from my post). > I'm trying to add multiple dbspaces on one raw partition on Solaris 8 > Here is the what I currently have: > > $ onstat -d > Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FD6 -- On-Line -- Up 6 days > 00:23:01 -- 41984 Kbytes > Dbspaces > address number flags fchunk nchunks flags > owner name > b07a1c0 1 1 1 1 N informix > rootdbs > 1 active, 2047 maximum > Chunks > address chk/dbs offset size free bpages > flags pathname > b07a2a8 1 1 500 600000 18903 PO- > /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 > 1 active, 2047 maximum > > Here is what I'm trying to do and its result: > > When I try to create additional dbspace on that partition > (/d...

RE: Informix database creation #2
Hi The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk should have the offset as 600501 . Regards Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d Register in India's No 1 Matrimony. sending to informix-list "Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgsam4$i9q$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Hi > The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk > should have the offset as 600501 . Nonsense! ...

Re: Informix database creation #4
Well I dont know! I was given this advice from Infomix Support Group only Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ It's raining movies. Bollywood is flooded. http://server1.msn.co.in/features/augustmovies03/index.asp August has arrived! sending to informix-list ...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #3
Hi Simmon and Superboer thanks you for your suggestions. I tried out the RAW table and it works like a charm, it was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Regards, Aash -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [ mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org <mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org> ]On Behalf Of Simmons, Keith Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:41 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Aash You don't tell us which version of IDS you are using, however have you investigated RAW tables (if they are avaialable in your version). They can be created in logged or unlogged dbs and can allow the type of access you require. RAW tables cannot be indexed or have constraints, but the table can be changed to STANDARD (very quickly) and then be indexed. You will not need any intermediate files, just INSERT INTO 'raw_table' SELECT FROM 'source_table'. Keith -----Original Message----- From: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai [ mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in <mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in> ] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 13:01 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The prob...

RE: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects #3
I think you seem a tad upset there. Maybe because someone got the better of the clown? -----Original Message----- From: Obnoxio The Clown [SMTP:obnoxio@hotmail.com] Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 12:57 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects Dusty Haas wrote: > Shouldn't indices be - this_is_an_index_called_ instead of a_index_? > > Just a curious thought You're quite right to do that nit pick and I do feel just like a right dick your razor sharp eyes affirm the surmise "to cut and paste is lazy and thick" > -----Original Message----- > From: Obnoxio The Clown [SMTP:obnoxio@hotmail.com] > Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 12:50 PM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects > > Christopher wrote: > >> Can anyone recommend a good naming convention for database objects in >> Informix? >> >> Generally, I use my own variation on Hungarian, but I wondered if >> there is an equivalent of the RVBA (also known as Leszynski/Reddick) >> standard among Informix developers. >> >> I would also be thrilled to find a write-up I can reuse or just plain >> plagiarize. >> >> As an aside, this is to be implemented on IDS 9.4, so long identifiers >> are not an issue. > > I generally prefix tables with this_...

Re: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #3
Hi again. Execute the following command. /usr/sbin/ping arcdb e.g) etorofu 27: /usr/sbin/ping bygzam -n 3 PING bygzam: 64 byte packets 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=0. time=6. ms 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=1. time=0. ms 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=2. time=0. ms ----bygzam PING Statistics---- 3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 0/2/6 If you can not correct result from ping, resolve hostname first. Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 >From: "howard jones" <howie.lfc@virgin.net> >Reply-To: "howard jones" <howie.lfc@virgin.net> >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Re: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance >Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:05:07 -0000 > >Section of onconfig as follows: > >SERVERNUM 0 # Unique id corresponding to a >OnLine instance >DBSERVERNAME baanshm # Name of default database server >DBSERVERALIASES baantcp # List of alternate dbservernames >#NETTYPE ipcshm,1,50,NET # Comment this out as it isn't >needed >#NETTYPE soctcp,2,300,CPU # Configure poll thread(s) for >nettype >NETTYPE soctcp,2,300,NET # New settings >NETTYPE sqlmux,1,100,CPU # SQLMUX setting >DEADLOCK_TIMEOUT 60 ...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #3
I think so... J. anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com escribis: > Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and > hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and > googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at > all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the > same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list definately! It can be done for temp tables ...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #3
If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the old slice to the internal disk and then just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location On 10/17/05, Fernando Nunes <spam@domus.online.pt> wrote: > > Clive Eisen wrote: > > mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > > > >> > >> I don't neccesarily need to move them off raw slices, but I do need to > >> move them to different slices. This is because I am moving the > >> database from SAN storage to internal disks... So ultimately > >> /dev/rdsk/c1d6d0s4 (and s5 and s6) wont exist anymore. > >> > >> So I need a way of relocating the data to a new slice or a filesystem > >> file. I suspect the process will be t > >> > > You can, in an unsupported environment, binary edit the rootdbs > > as the path to the other chunks is held there > > But the new paths would need to have the same length... > That's why you should never use physical names. Always use symbolic > links to the real devices... > > In this circunstances I don't see how an unload/reload can be avoided... > > > Regards. > > > -- Paul Watson Tel: +44 7818 003457 Fax: +44 1436 678693 sending to informix-list Paul Watson wrote: > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the ...

Informix database creation
Hi all, I'm new to Informix db (as you can probably deduct from my post). I'm trying to add multiple dbspaces on one raw partition on Solaris 8 Here is the what I currently have: $ onstat -d Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FD6 -- On-Line -- Up 6 days 00:23:01 -- 41984 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name b07a1c0 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs 1 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname b07a2a8 1 1 500 600000 18903 PO- /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 1 active, 2047 maximum Here is what I'm trying to do and its result: When I try to create additional dbspace on that partition (/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a raw partition), I type: $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 2000000 Chunk size + offset (2600500k) greater than 2097151k limit. So I lower the size of the chunk $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 1400000 The chunk specified already exists. Is there anything else that I'm missing? What is the command/procedure to add dbspace and/or chunk to raw partition that has already one dbspace and one chunk defined? FYI: /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a 17GB raw partition. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. -- Regards, Seweryn Pietruszewski pietruszewski@att.com On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:56:58 -0400, S...

Re: get syntax error when loading data to a informix database #3
The second form should work. What are you using as a field delimiter? Informix defaults to a pipe "|". If you are using some other character you will need to include the delimiter phrase ... LOAD FROM "pathname" [DELIMITER "char"] INSERT INTO table-name commbtp@lineone.n et (Umesh) To: informix-list@iiug.org Sent by: cc: owner-informix-li Subject: get syntax error when loading data to a informix database st@iiug.org 20/12/2004 01:29 ...

Re: Open source sql client for accessing Informix database #3
Marco Greco said: > works for me..... > > david@smooth1.co.uk wrote: >> Tried to email you but it bounced... >> >> Your web site gives your email address as mailto:marco@4glworks.com >> >> but this bounces! >> >> email me at david@smooth1.co.uk Works for me too. Maybe you need a decent ISP, David? :op -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche A smile is a gift that is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving someone the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere. sending to informix-list ...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have to have an Informix Database? I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! sending to informix-list ...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #3
Did You re-install Informix executables ('installserver' script) after transferring it to anather machine with Solaris utility? If not, please, do that. Also, do nor forget about 'RUNASROOT' script. ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin Senior Database Administrator > -----Original Message----- > From: KW Foo [mailto:hovid@streamyx.com] > Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 5:38 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server > using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > > > > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the > Informix > > > ch...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3
Hi, - you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these utility commands. - using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately. You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions. See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info. - to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar. However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and be able to restore them successfully. - there's no backing up of (separate) databases, neither with ontape nor with ON-Bar. - you can look into other utilities. Rather than onload/onunload (with the size of your databases) you may want to look into HPL (High Performance Loader) ? Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 15:13:38: > > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. > > My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a > problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. > > Anybody may help me? sending to informix-list ...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #3
David Williams wrote: > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote in message news:btmcr4> That > will make it a lot tidier, should be able to use a case statement. > >>I will revise next week sometime. >> > > > http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk/ifaq06.htm#6.33 > > 6.33 What status codes does onstat return? > On 21st May 1998 mdstock@informix.com (Mark D. Stock) wrote:- > > As a point of interest, you can check the current mode of IDS by checking > the status ($?) after onstat -. > > The values returned by 'onstat -' are: > > a.. -1 Offline > b.. 0 Initialisation > c.. 1 Quiescent > d.. 2 Recovery > e.. 3 Backup > f.. 4 Shutdown > g.. 5 Online > h.. 6 Abort Wow! You remembered! Perhaps I should add some: Return codes IDS 7 & 9 -1 Off-line (-1 = 255) 0 Initialisation 1 Quiescent 2 Recovery 3 Backup 4 Shutdown 5 On-line 6 Abort IDS 8 -1 Off-line (-1 = 255) 0 Initialisation 1 Quiescent 2 Micro kernel 3 Recovery 4 Backup 5 Shutdown 6 On-line 7 Abort Cheers, -- Mark. +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+ | Mark D. Stock mailto:mdstock@MydasSolutions.com |//////// /| | Mydas Solutions Ltd http://MydasSolutions.com |///// / //| | +-----------------------------------+//// / ///| | |We ...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #3
Thanks a lot ! My problem was the fact that I tried to restore on a Linux machine a backup made on a UNIX machine. The INFORMIX server version was the same. The problem was the OS, in fact. Backup with ontape is recommended only when the restore is made on the same machine. Carmen ----- Original Message ----- From: "S.Dhayanidhi" <sdhaya@hotmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:35 AM Subject: Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux > Here is my cute little code.. for unattended tape restore. > We do restore to our development everyday and it works fine. > > > # ------------------------------------------------------------------ > echo " ********************************************" > echo " * Tape Restore Utility (For Single Tape ) *" > echo " ********************************************" > # ------------------------------------------------------------------ > echo " " > echo " Press Enter to Continue or CTRL-C to Abort \c" > read con > echo "Please wait Shutting Down Engine..." > echo "y\ny\n" | onmode -k > echo "\nPlease wait Restoring..." > echo "\ny\nn\nn\nn\n" | ontape -r > while true > do > engstatus=`onstat - | awk '{ print $5 } &...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

RE: Rowids in Informix Databases
Vijay All the tables will have rowids (they must !!), they are not visible on a normal table view but can be returned by query. If a table is fragmented (but only if (v7.31) ) it can be created WITH ROWIDS which will create a separate rowid column. Why do you need rowids? They tend to be a fudge to cover up poor or inadequate database design. Don't you have lots of lovely, simple (single column) primary keys to use to identify your records. Keith=20 -> -----Original Message----- -> From: Vijay Kumar [mailto:rudrappa@india.hp.com] -> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 12:33 PM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: Rowids in Informix Databases ->=20 ->=20 -> Hi All, ->=20 -> We have created a database in informix 9.40 on HP=20 -> Itanium machine. -> The tables doesn't have rowid column. Is there way to create=20 -> the database -> such that all the tables have rowid column? Please let me=20 -> know regarding -> this. Thanks in advance. ->=20 -> Regards, -> Vijay Kumar ->=20 -> sending to informix-list ->=20 ***************************************************************************= ******* This message is sent in strict confidence for the addressee only. It may contain legally privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advi...

Re: Start informix database
May be you have more than one Informix's instances and your missed database was not created in the instance where you are looking for it. Send us the content of your sqlhosts file and the result of : echo $INFORMIXSERVER Regards ----- Original Message ----- From: "madiego" <madiego@qf21.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 1:04 PM Subject: Start informix database > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default database but not > the database that I created.I haven't errors. > The configuration of INFORMIXDIR, INFROMIXSERVER, sqlhosts and > onconfig is correct. > > What can I do? > > Regards, > sending to informix-list ...

Web resources about - Re: Informix database creation #3 - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.