Re: Informix database creation #4

Well I dont know! I was given this advice from Infomix Support Group only

Ravinder Bahadur

It's raining movies. Bollywood is flooded.
http://server1.msn.co.in/features/augustmovies03/index.asp August has
arrived!

sending to informix-list
0
Ravinder

RE: Informix database creation
The Raw device of 17Gb will not be useful to you on 7.31.FD6. You need to create then at 2Gb (maximum sizes are listed in your release notes), or upgrade to 9.40. Check onstat -d again...it suggests you have successfully created that dbspace and are trying to create it again. MW > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of Seweryn > Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2003 7:57 a.m. > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Informix database creation > > > Hi all, > > I'm new to Informix db (as you can probably deduct from my post). > I'm trying to add multiple dbspaces on one raw partition on Solaris 8 > Here is the what I currently have: > > $ onstat -d > Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FD6 -- On-Line -- Up 6 days > 00:23:01 -- 41984 Kbytes > Dbspaces > address number flags fchunk nchunks flags > owner name > b07a1c0 1 1 1 1 N informix > rootdbs > 1 active, 2047 maximum > Chunks > address chk/dbs offset size free bpages > flags pathname > b07a2a8 1 1 500 600000 18903 PO- > /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 > 1 active, 2047 maximum > > Here is what I'm trying to do and its result: > > When I try to create additional dbspace on that partition > (/d...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Re: Informix database creation #3
Seweryn: When you run "onstat -d" - it gives size in terms of blocks (pagesize). It can be 2K or 4 K depending upon OS. You can find out the page size using "onstat -b | grep 'buffer' | awk '{print $10}' " - this will return page size in BYTES . When you create the dbspace using onspaces - you need to mention the size of the dbspace interms of "KBytes" example: In your OS, if you have Page size 2K - then you need to start the offset from 1200000, you can go only upto 800000 KB size of dbspace due to 2GB size limitation. try this .. let us know if you have any questions. Have a great time working with Informix Products. Thank You Ramesh Vasudevan .."Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up." - Winston Churchill Seweryn <pietruszewski@at To: informix-list@iiug.org t.com> cc: Sent by: Subject: Informix database cr...

RE: Informix database creation #2
Hi The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk should have the offset as 600501 . Regards Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d Register in India's No 1 Matrimony. sending to informix-list "Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgsam4$i9q$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Hi > The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk > should have the offset as 600501 . Nonsense! ...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #4
Hi Uday, We did considered using the HPL but only because that was the only thing available and it takes a lot of configuration work, we are kinnda short on time and the product we are working on will be deployed to various other clients so we were looking for a generic solution. By the way is there a way of running HPL without creating its underlying database and stuff. I mean just run it like a command line utility more like bulk loader available for SQL server? Thanks and Regards, Aash -----Original Message----- From: Uday Kale [mailto:udayk@us.ibm.com] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 9:25 PM To: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai Cc: informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same schema(=table definition). Regards, Uday. Inactive hide details for "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" ' src="cid:437041605@12122005-1cb3" width=16 border=0>"Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" <Aashishsr@hcl.in> "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" <Aashishsr@hcl.in> Sent by: owner-informix-list@iiug.org 12/09/2005 07:01 AM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using ...

Re: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #4
Hi howie. It seems no problem for me.(contains /etc/serivces) What host are you encountering -930 error ? i.e) oninit under arcdb ? OR oniint under baan ? if baan, delete arcdb from DBSERVERALIASES. try the following. % setenv INFORMIXSERVER baan Here is my configuration. hostname : cspc08 sqlhosts [~/conf]% cat $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts tsutoo930uc3 onsoctcp cspc08 tsutoo930uc3 tsutoo731ud6_tcp onsoctcp guntank 32488 tsutoo940uc2_tcp onsoctcp cspc08 32445 I use tsutoo930uc3(DBSERVERNAME) on cspc08 So I execute oninit command as following environment. INFORMIXDIR=/usr/local/informix/ids930uc3 PATH=$INFORMIXDIR/bin:$PATH INFORMIXSERVER=tsutoo930uc3 % oninit hostname : guntank % cat $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts tsutoo731ud6_tcp ontlitcp guntank 32488 I use tsutoo731ud6_tcp(DBSERVERNAME) on guntank So I execute oninit command as following environment. INFORMIXDIR=/usr/local/informix/ids731ud6 PATH=$INFORMIXDIR/bin:$PATH INFORMIXSERVER=tsutoo731ud6_tcp % oninit Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 >From: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >Reply-To: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Re: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance >Date: 18 Feb 2004 09:03:21 -0800 > >arcdb has now been added to the /etc...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #4
True there are issues but it's a easy solution to the problem, gets round the 'can not rename chunks' issue, no need to hassle about mirroring etc But the original post said going to internal disks so there will not be a name clash. On 10/17/05, Paul Watson <pwatson@irace.com> wrote: > > On 17 Oct 2005 15:26:36 -0700, david@smooth1.co.uk <david@smooth1.co.uk> > wrote: > > > > > > Paul Watson wrote: > > > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from > > the > > > old slice to the internal disk and then > > > just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location > > > > > > > > > > > > I'm guess this a Solaris platform..and then someone runs devfsadm that > > rebuilds /dev and removes your links! > > > > Or someone adds a new device and Solaris wants to use that name! > > > > Bad idea to store stuff under /dev. That directory is for the OS > > to control not you. > > > > If you are running on IDS 9.40 or IDS 10 then ontape has the ability to > > rename chunks during a restore. > > > > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0405fan/ > > > > > > > > > -- > Paul Watson > Tel: +44 7818 003457 > Fax: +44 1436 678693 > ...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have to have an Informix Database? I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! sending to informix-list ...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #4
In my personal opinion, why bother using ufsdump when you could restore with ontape. Don't forget that all chunk structures must be the same but that ontape & ufsdump might not read & write the same way, thus creating incompatibilities. There is gain in using ufsdump versus the potential problems just like the one you encountered. Andr� >From: St�phane Gadoury <stephane.gadoury@transat.com> >To: <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server >Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:54:50 -0500 > >Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing >memory > >Verify with ipcs -m > >Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release >notes >( if should not impact, but you never know) > >If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE > >-----Message d'origine----- >De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org >[mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson >Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 >� : informix-list@iiug.org >Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > >Check the release note in $INFORMIXDIR/release/*/*/ or look in the >/etc/system on the working server > >KW Foo wrote: > > > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > > > Regards, > > KW Foo > ...

RE: daily migration of Informix 9.4 databases from AIX to RedHat
What is that HPL Replication option about? I really would appreciate if you explain it Thanks in advance -----Mensaje original----- De: Richard Kofler [mailto:richard.kofler@chello.at] Enviado el: Lunes, 11 de Agosto de 2003 12:21 p.m. Para: informix-list@iiug.org Asunto: Re: daily migration of Informix 9.4 databases from AIX to RedHat Stefan Voets wrote: > > Hi, > > we are running 2 informix 9.4 instances on two separate machines > > srv1 AIX p-series server (AIX 5.1) & IDS 9.40.FC1 > srv2 intel hardware with redhat linux (8.0) & IDS 9.40.UC1 Upgrade to UC2 ASAP. Many features corrected in UC2 > > There are a couple of dbspaces that should be equalized every night. > At the moment we are using load/unloads to realize this, but the > entire process takes to long to complete during one night ... > > I considered following options : > > a) HDR : different OS'ses => not possible > b) ER : had a bad experience with this => not an option just because I am so courious :), details, please ... > c) ONBAR backup/restore => not possible because of different OS'ses > > according to you gurus out there, are there any usefull alternatives ? IMHO best option is ER. But if you have the window and if your DB is not too big, HPL on both sides is maybe an option, too: HPL express mode loading from pipe, which is a rexec/rsh job doing H...

Informix database creation
Hi all, I'm new to Informix db (as you can probably deduct from my post). I'm trying to add multiple dbspaces on one raw partition on Solaris 8 Here is the what I currently have: $ onstat -d Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FD6 -- On-Line -- Up 6 days 00:23:01 -- 41984 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name b07a1c0 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs 1 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname b07a2a8 1 1 500 600000 18903 PO- /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 1 active, 2047 maximum Here is what I'm trying to do and its result: When I try to create additional dbspace on that partition (/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a raw partition), I type: $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 2000000 Chunk size + offset (2600500k) greater than 2097151k limit. So I lower the size of the chunk $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 1400000 The chunk specified already exists. Is there anything else that I'm missing? What is the command/procedure to add dbspace and/or chunk to raw partition that has already one dbspace and one chunk defined? FYI: /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a 17GB raw partition. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. -- Regards, Seweryn Pietruszewski pietruszewski@att.com On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:56:58 -0400, S...

RE: Informix 9.4 Arcserve 11 Unable to open connection to database server
Rochelle wrote > We're running Informix 9.4 on Windows 2000 Server (sp4) with Arcserve > 11 Backup Agent for Informix. These two pieces of software > are installed on a "clean" machine (flattened and rebuilt). > Just after the Informix 9.4 software and the Arcserve agent > was installed, I ran a full backup from the Arcserve Manager > server. It worked just fine. > The DBA started tweaking the Informix server to get it ready > to import the data from our production database and now it > won't allow us to back it up any more. We get the Unable to > open connection to database server 155 (0x9b) error. I have > another clean system that I installed a similar configuration > on and it has continued to allow us to use Arcserve to back > up the database (no changes were made to the Informix server > configuration though). A couple of other notes - the > Arcserve manager resides on a separate server and all of the > servers in my configuration are workgroup (not domain) > servers. We've compared the configurations of the two > servers mentioned above and re-entered configuration data > until we're blue in the face. About the only thing we > haven't done is uninstalled and/or re-installed any of the > software. Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing > this problem? > What configuration files have you checked - Ser...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

Re: Benchmarking for Informix database
Peter Chang said: > > I was wondering if there are any benchmarking tool that I can use to > calculate TPM of an Informix database on a particular server? I seem to recall that it's possible to download the TPC benchmarks from www.tpc.org ...? But the best benchmark is your own application and something like a load runner robot. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed sending to informix-list ...

Re: Start informix database
May be you have more than one Informix's instances and your missed database was not created in the instance where you are looking for it. Send us the content of your sqlhosts file and the result of : echo $INFORMIXSERVER Regards ----- Original Message ----- From: "madiego" <madiego@qf21.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 1:04 PM Subject: Start informix database > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default database but not > the database that I created.I haven't errors. > The configuration of INFORMIXDIR, INFROMIXSERVER, sqlhosts and > onconfig is correct. > > What can I do? > > Regards, > sending to informix-list ...

RE: Rowids in Informix Databases
Vijay All the tables will have rowids (they must !!), they are not visible on a normal table view but can be returned by query. If a table is fragmented (but only if (v7.31) ) it can be created WITH ROWIDS which will create a separate rowid column. Why do you need rowids? They tend to be a fudge to cover up poor or inadequate database design. Don't you have lots of lovely, simple (single column) primary keys to use to identify your records. Keith=20 -> -----Original Message----- -> From: Vijay Kumar [mailto:rudrappa@india.hp.com] -> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 12:33 PM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: Rowids in Informix Databases ->=20 ->=20 -> Hi All, ->=20 -> We have created a database in informix 9.40 on HP=20 -> Itanium machine. -> The tables doesn't have rowid column. Is there way to create=20 -> the database -> such that all the tables have rowid column? Please let me=20 -> know regarding -> this. Thanks in advance. ->=20 -> Regards, -> Vijay Kumar ->=20 -> sending to informix-list ->=20 ***************************************************************************= ******* This message is sent in strict confidence for the addressee only. It may contain legally privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advi...

Web resources about - Re: Informix database creation #4 - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.