RE: Informix database creation

The Raw device of 17Gb will not be useful to you on 7.31.FD6. You need to
create then at 2Gb (maximum sizes are listed in your release notes), or
upgrade to 9.40.

Check onstat -d again...it suggests you have successfully created that
dbspace and are trying to create it again.

MW

sending to informix-list
0
Murray

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Re: Informix database creation #3
Seweryn: When you run "onstat -d" - it gives size in terms of blocks (pagesize). It can be 2K or 4 K depending upon OS. You can find out the page size using "onstat -b | grep 'buffer' | awk '{print $10}' " - this will return page size in BYTES . When you create the dbspace using onspaces - you need to mention the size of the dbspace interms of "KBytes" example: In your OS, if you have Page size 2K - then you need to start the offset from 1200000, you can go only upto 800000 KB size of dbspace due to 2GB size limitation. try this .. let us know if you have any questions. Have a great time working with Informix Products. Thank You Ramesh Vasudevan .."Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up." - Winston Churchill Seweryn <pietruszewski@at To: informix-list@iiug.org t.com> cc: Sent by: Subject: Informix database cr...

Re: Informix database creation #4
Well I dont know! I was given this advice from Infomix Support Group only Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ It's raining movies. Bollywood is flooded. http://server1.msn.co.in/features/augustmovies03/index.asp August has arrived! sending to informix-list ...

RE: Informix database creation #2
Hi The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk should have the offset as 600501 . Regards Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d Register in India's No 1 Matrimony. sending to informix-list "Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgsam4$i9q$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Hi > The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk > should have the offset as 600501 . Nonsense! ...

Informix database creation
Hi all, I'm new to Informix db (as you can probably deduct from my post). I'm trying to add multiple dbspaces on one raw partition on Solaris 8 Here is the what I currently have: $ onstat -d Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.FD6 -- On-Line -- Up 6 days 00:23:01 -- 41984 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name b07a1c0 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs 1 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname b07a2a8 1 1 500 600000 18903 PO- /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 1 active, 2047 maximum Here is what I'm trying to do and its result: When I try to create additional dbspace on that partition (/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a raw partition), I type: $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 2000000 Chunk size + offset (2600500k) greater than 2097151k limit. So I lower the size of the chunk $ onspaces -c -d mydbs -p /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 -o 600500 -s 1400000 The chunk specified already exists. Is there anything else that I'm missing? What is the command/procedure to add dbspace and/or chunk to raw partition that has already one dbspace and one chunk defined? FYI: /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 is a 17GB raw partition. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. -- Regards, Seweryn Pietruszewski pietruszewski@att.com On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:56:58 -0400, S...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have to have an Informix Database? I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! sending to informix-list ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

Re: Start informix database
May be you have more than one Informix's instances and your missed database was not created in the instance where you are looking for it. Send us the content of your sqlhosts file and the result of : echo $INFORMIXSERVER Regards ----- Original Message ----- From: "madiego" <madiego@qf21.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 1:04 PM Subject: Start informix database > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default database but not > the database that I created.I haven't errors. > The configuration of INFORMIXDIR, INFROMIXSERVER, sqlhosts and > onconfig is correct. > > What can I do? > > Regards, > sending to informix-list ...

RE: Rowids in Informix Databases
Vijay All the tables will have rowids (they must !!), they are not visible on a normal table view but can be returned by query. If a table is fragmented (but only if (v7.31) ) it can be created WITH ROWIDS which will create a separate rowid column. Why do you need rowids? They tend to be a fudge to cover up poor or inadequate database design. Don't you have lots of lovely, simple (single column) primary keys to use to identify your records. Keith=20 -> -----Original Message----- -> From: Vijay Kumar [mailto:rudrappa@india.hp.com] -> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 12:33 PM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: Rowids in Informix Databases ->=20 ->=20 -> Hi All, ->=20 -> We have created a database in informix 9.40 on HP=20 -> Itanium machine. -> The tables doesn't have rowid column. Is there way to create=20 -> the database -> such that all the tables have rowid column? Please let me=20 -> know regarding -> this. Thanks in advance. ->=20 -> Regards, -> Vijay Kumar ->=20 -> sending to informix-list ->=20 ***************************************************************************= ******* This message is sent in strict confidence for the addressee only. It may contain legally privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advi...

Re: Benchmarking for Informix database
Peter Chang said: > > I was wondering if there are any benchmarking tool that I can use to > calculate TPM of an Informix database on a particular server? I seem to recall that it's possible to download the TPC benchmarks from www.tpc.org ...? But the best benchmark is your own application and something like a load runner robot. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed sending to informix-list ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Storing password in informix database
If you are on 9.x versions (with the WEB Datablade installed) , you can use a function called webpwcrypt which will encrypt your password and store it in the database. Otherwise, I would assume you'll have to write your own algorithm to do the same. The usage is as follows: select webpwcrypt(password,2194) from user where the second parameter is some kind of a seed# to generate the encrypted password. HTH. Thanx much, Rajib Sarkar Advisory Support Engineer (RAS) IBM Data Management Group Ph : (602)-217-2100 Fax: (602)-217-2100 As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it -- Mahatma Gandhi "Chavan Koya" <chavankoya189@ho To: "Informix Mailing List" <informix-list@iiug.org> tmail.com> cc: Sent by: Subject: Storing password in informix database owner-informix-li ...

[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch
I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My iLogin works fine, but I cannot set up the ODBC driver, I keep getting the message "[Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch" I cannot leave it blank, under environment, and I cannot find any matching pairs. Can somebody help. XP client and Linux server This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0046812965257177_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" I am guessing that you are using 10.00.xC4 or the version where you have fix for 171156 IDS defect. Basically this bug fix will enforce the correct database locale setting from client (i.e. ODBC etc). If you supply the (default is en_US.1252) correct database locale(that is actually the database created with) in ODBC DSN(or your connection string) then your connection should go through. However in ODBC side as well we have the corresponding fix in place. Ask your customer support to get the patch of ODBC defects 175110 and 175746. These ODBC fixes will automatically take care of getting the correct database locale value for the given database (through DSN). Thanks & Regards -Shesh bobkot@gmail.com Sent by: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org 05/23/2006 05:58 PM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.T...

Web resources about - RE: Informix database creation - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.