RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql

 sorry I suck.

When running esql -o esqlbasic esqlbasic.ec

-----Original Message-----
From: Gentsch, Sam
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 4:08 PM
To: informix-list@iiug.org
Subject: Informix DBD, PERL and esql

Actually this is a esqlc problem and may be because we are trying to use
gcc instead of cc_r

I receive
gcc: '-b' must come at the start of the command line Or cc: '-b' must
come at the start of the command line if INFORMIXC not set.

IBM Support said there was a bug for 4gl basically saying gcc does not
work with it and they were not planning on fixing it (and the support
guy said that meant it was true for ESQLC too)

So has anyone managed to overcome this problem and successfully use gcc
with AIX 5.3?

Hopefully, I am missing something simple.

Thanks a lot!

Sam

System info follows (probably more than you want)

 Perl:     perl v5.008007 aix-64all dl_aix.xs
 System:   aix aix 3 5 00cc339e4c00 (5.3)
 Using INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix/IDS_9.40.FC6 and ESQL/C compiler esql
Using IBM Informix CSDK Version 2.90, IBM Informix-ESQL Version 2.90.FC3
from /opt/informix/IDS_9.40.FC6  DBI 1.48 installed  IDS 9.40FC6, with a
stores
 gcc: 3.3.2

Have INFORMIXC=gcc
DBD_INFORMIX_ESQLC_LINKAGE='-b' //tried it anyways Changed
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to LIBPATH since on AIX

Big -V stuff:
 gcc -v
 Reading specs from
/opt/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0/3.3.2/specs
 Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/bin/as
--with-ld=/usr/bin/ld --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++
--prefix=/opt/freeware --enable-threads
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --host=powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0
Thread model: aix  gcc version 3.3.2

perl -V
 Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 7) configuration:
   Platform:
     osname=aix, osvers=5.3.0.0, archname=aix-64all
     uname='aix aix 3 5 00cc339e4c00 '
     config_args='-Dcc=gcc'
     usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
usemultiplicity=undef
     useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
     use64bitint=define use64bitall=define uselongdouble=undef
     usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
     cc='gcc', ccflags ='-D_ALL_SOURCE -D_ANSI_C_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE
-DUSE_NATIVE_DLOPEN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -maix64
-DUSE_64_BIT_ALL',
     optimize='-O',
     cppflags='-D_ALL_SOURCE -D_ANSI_C_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE
-DUSE_NATIVE_DLOPEN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe'
     ccversion='', gccversion='3.3.2', gccosandvers='aix5.2.0.0'
     intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=87654321
     d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=8
     ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8,
Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
     alignbytes=8, prototype=define
 Linker and Libraries:
     ld='gcc -maix64', ldflags =' -Wl,-brtl -Wl,-bdynamic
-Wl,-bmaxdata:0x80000000 -maix64 -Wl,-b64'
     libpth=/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
     libs=-lbind -lnsl -ldbm -ldl -lld -lm -lcrypt -lc -lbsd
     perllibs=-lbind -lnsl -ldl -lld -lm -lcrypt -lc -lbsd
     libc=, so=a, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
     gnulibc_version=''
   Dynamic Linking:
     dlsrc=dl_aix.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Xlinker
-bE:/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/aix-64all/CORE/perl.exp'
     cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags='  -Wl,-b64 -Wl,-bhalt:4 -Wl,-bexpall
-Wl,-G -Wl,-bnoentry -lc'

   Compile-time options: USE_64_BIT_INT USE_64_BIT_ALL USE_LARGE_FILES
   Built under aix
   Compiled at Jun 23 2005 11:54:26
   @INC:
     /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/aix-64all
     /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7
     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/aix-64all
     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7
     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

sending to informix-list
0
Gentsch

Gentsch, Sam wrote:
>  sorry I suck.

What do you suck?

> When running esql -o esqlbasic esqlbasic.ec

As you now know, and probably knew before, you must be able to compile
basic ESQL/C programs with your chosen ESQL/C and C compiler combination
before you have the slightest chance of getting DBD::Informix to work.

You're going to have to take a copy of esql and sanitize it.

cd DBD-Informix-2005.01
cp $INFORMIXDIR/bin/esql .
chmod u+w esql
vi esql
   -- clean up the non-GCC options like -b.
   -- save it.
export PATH=.:$PATH

This will pick up your hacked (sanitized) copy of esql.

Call IBM Tech Support.  Open a case.  Get them to find the bug (FR =
feature request) in PTS (Problem Tracking System) which says "ESQL/C
should have an option to run with GCC instead of native C compiler", and
get them to log you as someone requesting the feature.  I forget the bug
number, but it is fairly recent (probably 170,000 or later; this year,
anyway), and I entered it, though there was another similar, slightly
more flexible request (be able to configure ESQL/C to use any arbitrary
C compiler, and fix the options used with it) that was made shortly
afterwards.  Anyway, the more cases, the higher its higher priority.

Supported values for the ESQL/C linkage are '-shared' '-static' and
maybe '-thread', probably in combination with one or the other options.

> Big -V stuff:
>  gcc -v
> [...snip...]
>
> perl -V
>  Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 7) configuration:
>    Platform:
>      osname=aix, osvers=5.3.0.0, archname=aix-64all
>      uname='aix aix 3 5 00cc339e4c00 '
>      config_args='-Dcc=gcc'
 > [...snip...]

Thanks for including the version information.

Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com
Jonathan

RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql #4
Thanks to all !! I posted most of it for your consumption, if you need it all email me, and I will send it. S -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 1:27 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Informix DBD, PERL and esql Superboer wrote: > ahum did a quick search for aix and > loc_t ... > check out > > -D_H_LOCALEDEF Yes - that was a major part of the problem. Sam now has a severely hacked AIX-specific ESQL/C script that works with GCC. -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2005.01 -- http://dbi.perl.org/ sending to informix-list ...

RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql #2
After stripping every flag out of the esql program that it whined about I get down to: gcc: CC_TH=gcc: No such file or directory In file included from /usr/include/sys/localedef.h:46, from /opt/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0/3.3.2/include/stdlib.h: 538, from esqlbasic.ec:25: /usr/include/sys/localedef31.h:195: error: conflicting types for `loc_t' /opt/informix/IDS_9.40.FC6/incl/esql/locator.h:123: error: previous declaration of `loc_t' This is my last post on this, hate to torment you folks with my lack of gcc prowess. No comments from you OTC! :) Thanks again, Sam -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Gentsch, Sam Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 5:50 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql sorry I suck. When running esql -o esqlbasic esqlbasic.ec -----Original Message----- From: Gentsch, Sam Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 4:08 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Informix DBD, PERL and esql Actually this is a esqlc problem and may be because we are trying to use gcc instead of cc_r I receive gcc: '-b' must come at the start of the command line Or cc: '-b' must come at the start of the command line if INFORMIXC not set. IBM Support said there was a bug for 4gl basically saying gcc does not work with it and they were not planning on fixin...

RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql #3
Gentsch, Sam said: > This is my last post on this, hate to torment you folks with my lack of > gcc prowess. > No comments from you OTC! :) I would never mock someone's inability to perform. Much. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche A smile is a gift that is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving someone the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere. sending to informix-list ...

Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
I found a solution, It worked well with tcp connections, Looks like perl's Informix DBD Module doesn't like shared memory connections,at least with my versions. But I can live with tcp connections. Thanks anyway. I have other question , Does anybody knows how to actually get the number of rows returned/affected in a query with perl ? I tried with : $nrows=$sth->rows(); always returned 0. $nrows = $sth->{ix_sqlerrd}[2] always returned 0 too. Any ideas ? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralag...

[Fwd: Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module]
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000806050204000100000404 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I sent this to Francisco from the office, and I don't have direct posting access to news groups while I'm in the office. He agreed that the example code using rows worked and answered his questions. "Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralagricola.com.gt> wrote: >> I found a solution, >> It worked well with tcp connections, >> Looks like perl's Informix DBD...

RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql >>RESOLVED<<
Hello ALL! With the help of Jonathan, we managed to get PERL DBI/DBD built using gcc on AIX. Jonathan edited the esql wrapper script, and Edgar Riegger introduced me to the -maix64 flag. From there everything worked like a dream. I set the following environment variable. # NO - DBD_INFORMIX_ESQLC_LINKAGE=-static INFORMIXC=gcc And below is PART of the esql file that worked for me, I think I got all the changes in the post. Thanks again to everyone that helped. Sam : ' : ************************************************************************ : : IBM INC. : : PROPRIETARY DATA : : Licensed Material - Property Of IBM : : "Restricted Materials of IBM" : : IBM Informix Client SDK : : (c) Copyright IBM Corporation 2002. All rights reserved. : : : Title: esql.sh : Description: : Source for shell script for running the ESQL/C preprocessor : : ************************************************************************ * : ' INFDIR=${INFORMIXDIR=/usr/informix} DB2CLIDIR=${INSTHOME=/usr/db2} PREPCC=${INFDIR}/lib/esql/esqlc # JL - removed (see below) #CC="${INFORMIXC=cc} -qchars=signed -q64 -qlanglvl=ansi -qalign=natural -qcheck=nullptr -qmaxmem=-1 -qspill=2000 -D_H_LOCALEDEF" #CC_TH="${INFORMIXC=xlc_r} -qchars=signed -q64 -qlanglvl=ansi -qalign=natural -qcheck=nullptr -qmaxmem=-1 -qspill=2000 ...

ANNOUNCE: DBD::Informix
IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01 (2005-03-14) has been uploaded to CPAN. IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl (also known as DBD::Informix) is the driver code that enables Perl 5.6.1 or later to access Informix databases via the DBI module (but if you are not already using Perl 5.8.5, you should be planning to upgrade to it). You will need the code for DBI version 1.38 or later as well (v1.48 recommended). The code for DBD::Informix is available for download via: http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-category/07_Database_Interfaces http://dbi.perl.org/ ** When you...

Informix DBD, PERL and esql
[...]

Re: Perl DBD:Informix on NT
To avoid getting a C compiler and building the Informix module on Windows, I used the ODBC module and was able to connect to my Informix databases from Windows easily. Here were the steps: 1- Install the CSDK on Windows 2- Set all the connection info in setnet32 and test it with ilogin or dbping. 3- Create a ODBC DSN and test it. 4- Install the DBD:ODBC perl module 5- Create my perl script with using DBD:ODBC and the DSN created in setp 3. The only issues you may have are if you are using Informix specific features that are not supported in the ODBC module. If you stick to g...

Re: Perl DBD::Informix and IDS 64-bit
Hi, I'm using Perl 64 bit on Solaris 9. The Sun provided Perl is 5.6.1 and 32bit. So I built my own 5.8.0 with the Sun CC 5.4 and DBD-Informix 2003.04 and DBI 1.34, CSDK 2.81FC2, IDS 7.31FD5. Works fine and is in production now. But I never managed it to get a DBI>1.34 working on this Plattform. I've escalated this case with IBM informix Support here in Germany, but it didn't get to Jonathan Leffeler I think. The problem was that DBI->errstr pointed in the wrong direction so that I got a Segmentation Violation when trying to print it. > I'm curio...

Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
Hi everybody, I have Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.30.UC11 on Red Hat Linux 9 perl v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi DBI 1.42 DBD Informix 2003.04 After installing perl's DBI and DBD Modules for Informix I finally get a script to connect and disconnect to the database . But after running the script several times (that only connects and disconnects to the database ) , the server hangs and it does not let to connect to any database with the message : 25588: The appl process cannot connect to the database server Restarting the server fix the problem but I can not...

Re: ANNOUNCE: IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01
bottom right side, click office, followed by edit current. Click the mail tab. Go to the bottom and change mime to rich text. Thanks to June Hunt I changed mine (mime) fairly recently! peace Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthli nk.net> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org ...

Re: Re: Does Informix-SQL have Perl-like functions?
Thanks for the info. Certainly bladelets are the way to start understanding the blde concept which for what I've seen is very powerfull. This is a must learning tech. Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: Paul Brown <paul_geoffrey_brown@yahoo.com> To: Jean Sagi <jeansagi@myrealbox.com> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:03:19 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Does Informix-SQL have Perl-like functions? Well - "DataBlade" is such a big, heavy term, laden down with implications of complexity and so on. "BladeLet" on the other han...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Benchmarking for Informix database
Peter Chang said: > > I was wondering if there are any benchmarking tool that I can use to > calculate TPM of an Informix database on a particular server? I seem to recall that it's possible to download the TPC benchmarks from www.tpc.org ...? But the best benchmark is your own application and something like a load runner robot. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH &qu...

Re: Start informix database
May be you have more than one Informix's instances and your missed database was not created in the instance where you are looking for it. Send us the content of your sqlhosts file and the result of : echo $INFORMIXSERVER Regards ----- Original Message ----- From: "madiego" <madiego@qf21.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 1:04 PM Subject: Start informix database > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. &...

Re: Difference between Informix connect and Informix Client SDK
Informix-connect holds the runtime libraries which will allow you to connect to the database ..so if you have ESQL/C binaries, you can just put Informix-connect on the server and run the binaries. But, if you want to build the binary then you will have to use CSDK ... As for pricing, I think both are free and can be downloaded from the IBM site. Thanx much, Rajib Sarkar Advisory Support Engineer (RAS) IBM Data Management Group Ph : (602)-217-2100 Fax: (602)-217-2100 As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it -- Mahatma Gandhi ...

RE: Rowids in Informix Databases
Vijay All the tables will have rowids (they must !!), they are not visible on a normal table view but can be returned by query. If a table is fragmented (but only if (v7.31) ) it can be created WITH ROWIDS which will create a separate rowid column. Why do you need rowids? They tend to be a fudge to cover up poor or inadequate database design. Don't you have lots of lovely, simple (single column) primary keys to use to identify your records. Keith=20 -> -----Original Message----- -> From: Vijay Kumar [mailto:rudrappa@india.hp.com] -> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 20...

RE: Informix database creation
The Raw device of 17Gb will not be useful to you on 7.31.FD6. You need to create then at 2Gb (maximum sizes are listed in your release notes), or upgrade to 9.40. Check onstat -d again...it suggests you have successfully created that dbspace and are trying to create it again. MW > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of Seweryn > Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2003 7:57 a.m. > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Informix database creation > > > Hi all, > > I'm ...

Web resources about - RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql - comp.databases.informix

IBM Informix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IBM Informix is a product family within IBM's Information Management division that is centered on several relational database management system ...

IBM Informix (@IBM_Informix) on Twitter

Informix - News, Features, and Slideshows
Latest news, features, and slideshows on Informix from Computerworld

Informix Database Administrator / Developer

Informix technology whiz bails out for Andromedia
San Francisco, CA News - View Daily Local Business News, Resources & more in San Francisco, California. Informix, the Menlo Park-based database ...

S&P Stock Reports: Informix Corp.
Revenues in the first quarter of 1997 declined over 30%, owing to sluggishness associated with product transition uncertainties stemming from ...

Informix says Oracle is "sleazy"
... A CNET article by CNET News.com Staff, . Published on January 24, 1997 12:30 PM PST. No love has ever been lost between database makers Informix ...

IBM Acquires Informix
IBM took a major step today in its effort to strengthen its software business and take down Oracle by agreeing to acquire Informix Software's ...

The Four HundredIBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition
IBM Buys Other Half of Informix with Ascential Acquisition by Timothy Prickett Morgan Four years ago, in April 2001 to be precise, IBM bought ...

IBM's Informix buya billion dollars worth of benefit?
So IBM is buying Informix Software, Informix Corp.'s database unit and the heart of the company.