RE: Migrate data from raw device to cooked file

Or:

1. Bring the server down
2. Copy old raw-device chunks to new file-based using 'dd ...'
3. Switch chunk links
4. Bring the server up

Alexey Sonkin

> From: briceavila@hotmail.com [mailto:briceavila@hotmail.com]
>
> Well, to answer your question, try:
>
> 1. Backup
> 2. Down the instance
> 3. Redefine the chunks from raw to cooked
> 4. Restore
>
> That said, why not user Veritas or Legato? They can backup raw or
> cooked chunks, and restore either to the other (cooked --> raw and raw
> --> cooked). Why does SQL Backtrack requires cooked chunks?
>
> Brice Avila
> Minneapolis, Minnesota
>
> andris_sh@yahoo.com (Andris) wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > Solaris 2.6
> > IDS 7.31.
> >
> > Company purchased new storage device and are going to move data to
> > that base. "Old" system use raw devices, "new" will be on files. IDS
> > is configured to use links to raw devices, so admin is going to
> > rearange links after data is moved.
> >
> > They use onbar with SQL Backtrack, so one way of moving data would be
> > to make backup, then restore data on new system.
> >
> > Only thing which worries me, is how good will backups work, if data is
> > taken from raw devices, and put to files, any information about that?
> > Also, can we try to dd data from raw devices to files and then
> > rearrange links for IDS (would be faster than backup)? Any other ideas
> > about possible problems with such migration process?
> >
> > Thanks for feedback!
> >
> > Andris
sending to informix-list
0
Alexey

Migrate data from raw device to cooked file
Hi. Solaris 2.6 IDS 7.31. Company purchased new storage device and are going to move data to that base. "Old" system use raw devices, "new" will be on files. IDS is configured to use links to raw devices, so admin is going to rearange links after data is moved. They use onbar with SQL Backtrack, so one way of moving data would be to make backup, then restore data on new system. Only thing which worries me, is how good will backups work, if data is taken from raw devices, and put to files, any information about that? Also, can we try to dd data from raw devices to files and then rearrange links for IDS (would be faster than backup)? Any other ideas about possible problems with such migration process? Thanks for feedback! Andris Why convert from raw to cooked storage? Your performance is going to suffer. "Andris" <andris_sh@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e3ae8cc2.0404260618.74ebc1e6@posting.google.com... > Hi. > > Solaris 2.6 > IDS 7.31. > > Company purchased new storage device and are going to move data to > that base. "Old" system use raw devices, "new" will be on files. IDS > is configured to use links to raw devices, so admin is going to > rearange links after data is moved. > > They use onbar with SQL Backtrack, so one way of moving data would be > to make backup, then restore data on new system. > > Only thing which worries...

RE: Raw device VS cooked file
In my experience with AIX. The new enhanced journal file system (JFS2), there are file system option to use SIO or DIO. Using DIO (direct io) gives pretty close results to raw partition with Oracle and Informix. I am not sure if Solaris, HPUX or Linux has any option similar to AIX Basim Chafik Senior Systems Analyst IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) 1.800.688.4895 basim.chafik@plx.com plexus (Division of BancTec) -----Original Message----- From: Rupan3rd [mailto:rupan.nospam.3rd@hotmail.com] Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:18 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Raw device VS cooked file - any benchmark recently done? I know what pros and cons of using raw might be. My need is to have the best performance for my OLTP system, therefore I was wordering if and in what cases it might be actually true that there are disk devices able to achieve "I/O caching for cooked writes" that "can provide similar if not better performance" than raw areas. Still the documentation does not explicitly say if the cooked READS would be that good as well nor how to benchmark nor the effect of the fragmentation. Regards Rupan3rd malcolm weallans wrote: > I would really like to see any evidence that people have on this issue. I > have a number of systems that are running with acceptable performance on raw > disks. But could we be doing better and at what cost? > > But from almost ...

Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw device?
RDBMS Version: 9.2.0.5 Operating System and Version: Solaris 8 Error Number (if applicable): Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Data Guard Product Version: 9.2.0.5 Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw device? We want to setup a disaster recovery site for a RAC database on raw device. For reducing the work of configurations, we consider to use a file-based datbase as the remote standby database. Is there any problem or compatible issue to do this ? Regards, William On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:28:55 +0200, William wrote (in article <544e016e.0409291928...

IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux: I/O benchmark of RAW DEVICES vs BLOCK DEVICES vs COOKED FILES
Hello there, this is a long message (sorry in advance) which contains some hopefully interesting information. There are also some questions at the end. I have this nice new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 machine, it's an HP DL 385 with 8 internal 10K RPM SAS disks, 2 dual-core AMD Opteron CPUs and 4 GB RAM. Machine features 256 Mb of cache on the disks controller. Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/p6k6y I have installed Informix Dynamic Server 10.00.FC4 (64 bit). I bumped into this IBM article: http://tinyurl.com/gfovb, where it says that Informix IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux is able to access block devices in unbuffered fashion -like it does for the raw devices- using KAIO (Kernel Asynchronous I/O). The server is brand new, and I can play with it a bit before it goes into production, so I decided to do some performance testing of RAW vs BLOCK vs COOKED, to see which one was better from the I/O performance point of view. Some definitions, first: * RAW DEVICE or CHARACTER DEVICE = devices through which data is transmitted one character at a time, using unbuffered input and output routines; each character is read from, or written to, the device immediately; such devices are disk partitions without a file system on them, and are therefore managed from outside the operating system using direct access and bypassing the OS layer and its cache * BLOCK DEVICE = devices through which data is transmitted in the form of blocks, the most sign...

Re: Raw vs. Cooked files
Yes even with DB2 UDB you can get 20-25% improvement going with RAW over Cooked. If you use cooked the IO has to be written by the Unix Operating system - another set of commands to execute. Raw is controlled by the database. Why o Why Are we still having this discussion? Rob Vorbroker --- Rajesh Kapur <rkapur@mpr.org> wrote: > Hello, > > I am installing IDS 10 on RHEL3 on an intel x86 > server. I need to make the > choice between raw devices and cooked files. > I found the following information in the FAQ's. Is > this information still > accurate? Do cooked files continue to be > significantly slower than the raw > files? I have heard that UNIX file systems have > improved over the years and > the performance divide between raw and cooked files > has narrowed > considerabley. Is it true? > > Thanks! > - Rajesh > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > 6.38 Is raw disk faster than cooked files? > On 22nd Jun 1998 kagel@bloomberg.net (Art S. Kagel) > wrote:- > > ....................the safety issue of cooked files > is no longer a problem. > The big problem with cooked files still is > performance. All writes and reads > to/from cooked files MUST go through the UNIX buffer > cache. This means an > additional copy from the server's output buffer to > the UNIX buffe...

RE: Mirror / Raw device / Informix
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6153D.0A4774A2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Muthana- In order to use redundant drives on your server: in your onconfig file, change MIRROR 0 to MIRROR 1, then bounce your database. You may then use onspaces -m to mirror your dbspaces. Read the manual first. For replication across servers, Informix has built in high availability data replication (master - slave only) and enterprise replication (can be configured in many different ways). Both are free in enterprise edition. High availability requires an additional license for workgroup edition. Enterprise replication is not allowed in workgroup edition. For documentation, see: http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/pubs/library =20 --EEM =20 -----Original Message----- From: Muthana.AL-Temimi@tu-harburg.hamburg.de [mailto:Muthana.AL-Temimi@tu-harburg.hamburg.de]=20 Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 10:06 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Cc: m.al@tuhh.de Subject: Mirror / Raw device / Informix =20 Dear IIUG, =20 I would like to ask if I can do a mirror of my database which is installed on raw device into the 2 server by using mirror technology. I heart that this solution won't work with Informix but I'm not sure therefore I asked the questi...

Re: Measurements: (was: Raw vs. Cooked files)
Hi, maybe. :) This work was done by zSeries people (which are in a different department/organization from us in IBM Informix Data Management ...). They used IDS mainly for their purpose (to show zLinux capabilities like scaling with a real, commercially available application). Therefore we cannot directly demand from them to do this again with IDS 10.00. However, there is a possibility, that for their next round of measurements they will use IDS 10.00 (as they made good experiences with IDS 9.4). Though in that case I would not expect results before sometime next year .... Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 29.06.2005 02:31:50: > > Can we get this done with IDS 10? > > Martin Fuerderer wrote: > > Hi, > > > > if you are interested : > > > > http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/library/techpapers/pdf/gm130667.pdf > > > > (There's a part where they tested raw devices vs. file system files as > > well. > > These measurements were all done on zSeries, not by myself as I did not > > get to do such extensive work. But this document is really extensive ....) > > > > Regards, > > Martin > > -- > > Martin Fuerderer > > IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany > > Information Management sending to i...

Re: how to merge two raw data file
On 10/11/06, Allan <rakulak@gmail.com> wrote: > > I have two transaction raw data files. The first position will tell > where the transaction come from, eg, if it is a blank then it belongs > to current owner. Now I want to merge these two raw data and output to > a raw file in such ways: > file2's records follow file1's records grouped by owners > but since there are blanks for current owner, could you please help to > merge the file to create a new .txt file? > > Here are the sample files > > file1 > 1562 $7655.9 > 1098 $9 > K1655 ...

Re: Raw vs. Cooked files #2
Hi, I'd say the correct answer to the question is: "It depends." -------------------------------------------------------------------- The implementation of file system I/O buffering by the OS can be very efficient on Linux. But for that the OS needs sufficient memory for the buffering. And this is what makes the "It depends". Therefore there are 2 extremes: a) almost all physical memory is used by IDS in the form of shared memory (allocated SHM segments listed by "onstat -g seg"). A good indication for this scenario is a machine that uses little swap space, because it already has swapped out some minor "applications". The system is at the (sensible) limit of its memory usage. In this scenario, raw devices and the utilization of KAIO (available with IDS 10.00.UC1 on Linux) will in general perform better than cooked files. b) there's a lot of unused physical memory left over, even though IDS is configured optimally (e.g. BUFFERS is big enough, etc.). A recent example of such a scenario was 32-bit IDS installed on a 64-bit Linux, where IDS can use only ~4 GB of the available 24 GB of physical memory. In such a scenario, the OS can allocate a lot of memory for file system I/O buffering and this will make file system I/O (i.e. for chunks on cooked files) very efficient. In this scenario it will normally perform better than raw devices and KAIO. This i...

Re: Raw vs. Cooked files #3
HOWEVER, Informix IDS does not user the OS buffering. It opens all COOKED chunks with O_SYNC which bypasses most of the benefits of the buffering in favor of added data integrity. Art S. Kagel ----- Original Message ----- From: Martin Fuerderer <MARTINFU@de.ibm.com> At: 5/18 4:27 Hi, I'd say the correct answer to the question is: "It depends." -------------------------------------------------------------------- The implementation of file system I/O buffering by the OS can be very efficient on Linux. But for that the OS needs sufficient memory for the buffering. And this is what makes the "It depends". Therefore there are 2 extremes: a) almost all physical memory is used by IDS in the form of shared memory (allocated SHM segments listed by "onstat -g seg"). A good indication for this scenario is a machine that uses little swap space, because it already has swapped out some minor "applications". The system is at the (sensible) limit of its memory usage. In this scenario, raw devices and the utilization of KAIO (available with IDS 10.00.UC1 on Linux) will in general perform better than cooked files. b) there's a lot of unused physical memory left over, even though IDS is configured optimally (e.g. BUFFERS is big enough, etc.). A recent example of such a scenario was 32-bit IDS installed on a 64-bit Linux, where IDS can use only ~4 GB of the ava...

Re: Create SAS file from raw data
Julie: Try this: data Temp; input A $ 1-5; input Test $ 1 @@; do while (Test eq ' '); input B C:$2. D:$8. E:$5. F G H / I J:$3. K:$3. L:$3.; output; input Test $ 1 @@; end; cards; HTH J S Huang >>> "Li,Qian [Ontario]" <Qian.Li@EC.GC.CA> 12/8/2005 12:12:14 PM >>> Hi all, I have to create a SAS file from a raw data formatted as following: 60101 9.44240 O3 P CNSAPR02 12002 1 1 20020501.00000000 20020501.01000000 001 001 001 2.72953 O3 P CNSAPR02 12002 2 2 20020501.00000000 20020501.02000000 001...

Re: Export data to raw external file
Hi Lei, Add the line (*untested*) and embed the code in a macro and call it: IF _N_ EQ 1 THEN PUT "State Reg State_N %DO I = 1 %TO 12; Loss&I %END; %DO I = 1 %TO 12; Recov&I %END; "; Regards - Jim. -- Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands Statistician, SAS consultant home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:23:47 -0700, lei <leiliang217@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >Hello everyone, > >I am trying to export the processed data to a raw external *.txt file. >But the following code does not give me the variables' name on top of >the data. ...

Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux
SCO -> Linux ... good ;) If you want to upgrade to IDS 10.0 then better use Suse 9 'cause IDS use Kernel 2.6 specific features like KAIO. There is a nice document on IDS 10 and Linux on IBM site (can't remember link...). Regarding cooked vs. raw devices O bet for raw devices, they are very easy to configure in linux and give you some benefits like KAIO for example. J. Heinz Weitkamp escribi�: > Hi all, > > i am an linux newbie. > I must shift our Databases from SCO Unix (IDS 7.31 UD4) to SuSE Linux > Enterprise Edition 8.1 (2.4.21-190-smp glibc 2.2.5) or (8.2) or 9 and SuSE > Linux Professional 9.3 (2.6.11.4 glibc 2.3.4) (IDS 7.31 UD8). > > Later on i want to upgrade (in place) to IDS 10.0. > Which Version of SuSE Linux Enterprise Edition must I use (8.? , 9 ..)? > > Under Sco Unix we use raw-devices. > Is it better to use cooked files or raw files under these Linux-Versions? > A colleague mentioned, it can be, that later releases of Linux don't support > raw-devices. Is that correct? > > Experiences or comments are welcome. > Thanks in advance. > (Excuse my poor school-english) > > Heinz > > sending to informix-list > sending to informix-list ...

Re: read raw data file from server
Dd sf - You just need to specify the full UNC in the path. Check your server and share names. In my case "HQ-SRV43\GROUPS" is the server name and "INFSYS" is the share name. filename test '\\HQ-SRV43\GROUPS\INFSYS\DataX\PC\Jobs\test.txt'; data _null_; infile test; input; put _infile_; run; Here's a little more information on UNC's: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/l/bldef_unc.htm hth Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Be...

Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux #4
I guess almost all of us are convinced at this point of the performance improvement from using raw devices. But it would be great if we could get a benchmark report with a couple of Filesystems, specially on Linux, just in case we really need to use Filesystems. (JFS, Ext3, XFS , ReiserFS, ... ) I am a fan of XFS on Linux, because of its speed/stability/reliability against the other filesystems. I would be glad to see if XFS is better for database-OLTP performance or not. Could someone point us to a benchmark report of filesystems/raw devices ? Best Regards ----- Original Message ----- From: "Art S. Kagel" <kagel@bloomberg.net> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:30 PM Subject: Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux > Heinz Weitkamp wrote: > > Hi all, > > Go RAW all the way. Contrary to the Goob's understanding my own testing > shows RAW devices to be 15-25% faster than COOKED devices which are in turn > 10-15% faster than filesystem files, even on the best filesystem > implementations that adds up to a 25% improvement. Well worth any minor > inconveniences in my book. I have not yet tested Linux RAW devices versus > the various filesystems that Linux directly supports, but early reports when > Linux RAW devices were first rolled out showed similar results. The > performance gain was one reason why Linus Torvalds was convinced finally to > ...

Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux #7
We are running 24 instances of IDS 9.4 on 24 machines - about 95% raw chunks - no problems so far -Can you explain some of your reasoning below? What specifically are the risks and additional management? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Data Goob" <datagoob@netscape.net> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:08 PM Subject: Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux > Art S. Kagel wrote: > > Heinz Weitkamp wrote: > > > >> Hi all, > > > > > > Go RAW all the way. Contrary to the Goob's understanding my own testing > > shows RAW devices to be 15-25% faster than COOKED devices which are in > > turn 10-15% faster than filesystem files, even on the best filesystem > > implementations that adds up to a 25% improvement. Well worth any minor > > inconveniences in my book. > > OK so you get some speed increases, but also the additional management > of linking raw files. The original post indicated he was a newbie. > Raw files are not necessarily difficult, but they ARE optional and not > something I would entrust to a newbie. It's a great learning experience, > but who's paying for it?? > > But another point to make is that in many SAN environments, raw files are > a complete waste of time, with the data already being spread out over many > drives, and, with speeds typically in the 10-15K rpm ran...

RE: raw vs. cooked files under linux #3
We're about to setup a new client on IDS 10 on Linux and I've now seen two recommendations for SUSE in relation to IDS 10. Does anyone have experience with Redhat Enterprise Edition and IDS 10? Any issues there that we should be aware of? Bill Weaver Director of Engineering Amicus, Inc. 512-531-3463 (office) 512-531-3401 (fax) -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Sandor Szabo Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:31 AM To: Heinz Weitkamp Cc: user-group Informix (E-Mail); owner-informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux Dear Heinz, I would suggest that you pick SUSE SLES 9 This SUSE version works perfectly with IDS 10. Please check the following link: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/ids.html With IDS 10 you have the freedom of choice to use cooked or raw devices with KAIO This link should answer your raw device support question http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0503szabo/? ca=dgr-lnxw41IDSTen Let me know if you have any additional questions. bye Sandor IBM Informix Development Munich Information Management Hollerithstra�e 1 81829 Munich Germany Phone: +49 89 4504 1429 "Heinz Weitkamp" <heinz.wei...

Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux #10
DA Morgan said: > Data Goob wrote: >> Art, >> >> Your points are well made, and I'm willing to admit I could be >> misinformed, but quite honestly you are working in an exceptional >> environment compared to a lot of environments out there. You >> make the assertion that everyone should simply get it when it >> comes to disk drives, and quite honestly very few of us can keep >> up with this. You also make the assumption that it is easy when >> you should see what I have to work with when using sys admins--you >> even allude to the jr DBA who got it wrong. Imagine that this is >> 95% of the environments out there. And as far as misinforming >> people bang on EMC, they even preach their RAID5 is 'better', >> so we even have to deal with that as well as a lot of other >> vendor misinformation. > > There actually is one implementation of RAID5 that stands up to testing > as far superior to others and that is Apple Computer's XServe RAID. > These units have two XOR engines and come remarkably close in > performance to 0+1 (within a few percentage points) and also have the > advantage of having minimal loss of performance when running in degraded > mode. So far this year most of the storage I have worked with has been > Apple's and it is a poorly kept secret that Oracle Corp. is now using > them in their data center in...

RE: raw vs. cooked files under linux #5
We use raw chunks on all our unix versions. Most are Linux. We find it easier to set up and manage raw devices, including under Linux. We also have a SAN environment running RAW devices under Linux - no problems at all. We have not had any issues and that includes recovering systems. Its all very simple when using RAW devices. MW > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Data Goob > Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2005 1:09 p.m. > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux > > Art S. Kagel wrote: > > Heinz Weitkamp wrote: > > > >> Hi all, > > > > > > Go RAW all the way. Contrary to the Goob's understanding my own > > testing shows RAW devices to be 15-25% faster than COOKED devices > > which are in turn 10-15% faster than filesystem files, even on the > > best filesystem implementations that adds up to a 25% improvement. > > Well worth any minor inconveniences in my book. > > OK so you get some speed increases, but also the additional management > of linking raw files. The original post indicated he was a newbie. > Raw files are not necessarily difficult, but they ARE optional and not > something I would entrust to a newbie. It's a great learning > experience, but who's paying for it?? > > But anot...

Re: Measurements: (was: Raw vs. Cooked files) #2
Hi, > Why is NOAGE set to 0? Surely it should be set to 1? For this work the machine was dedicated solely to IDS server. No other applcations were running on the machine. Therefore NOAGE 1 vs. 0 would not have made much of a difference as there were no other processes to compete with IDS for CPU-time. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 29.06.2005 02:32:39: > > Nice but.... > > Can we get this done with IDS 10? > > Set RESIDENT to -1 to make everything resident. > > Why is NOAGE set to 0? Surely it should be set to 1? > > > Martin Fuerderer wrote: > > Hi, > > > > if you are interested : > > > > http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/library/techpapers/pdf/gm130667.pdf > > > > (There's a part where they tested raw devices vs. file system files as > > well. > > These measurements were all done on zSeries, not by myself as I did not > > get to do such extensive work. But this document is really extensive ....) > > > > Regards, > > Martin > > -- > > Martin Fuerderer > > IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany > > Information Management > > > sending to informix-list Martin Fuerderer schrieb: > Hi, > > >>Why is NOAGE set to 0? Surely i...

Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux #2
Dear Heinz, I would suggest that you pick SUSE SLES 9 This SUSE version works perfectly with IDS 10. Please check the following link: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/ids.html With IDS 10 you have the freedom of choice to use cooked or raw devices with KAIO This link should answer your raw device support question http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0503szabo/?ca=dgr-lnxw41IDSTen Let me know if you have any additional questions. bye Sandor IBM Informix Development Munich Information Management Hollerithstra�e 1 81829 Munich Germany Phone: +49 89 4504 1429 "Heinz Weitkamp" <heinz.weitkamp@w estfleisch.de> To Sent by: "user-group Informix \(E-Mail\)" owner-informix-li <informix-list@iiug.org> st@iiug.org cc Subject 11.05.2005 10:48 raw vs. cooked files under linux ...

RE: raw vs. cooked files under linux #6
When you compare cooked versus raw here, are you focusing on Linux only, or talking about this in general - other Unix platforms as well ? -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Data Goob Sent: 11 May 2005 03:08 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux If you are in a slow-change environment raw-files are not a bad thing. They create extra problems on the management side that cooked files do not. Fast-changing environments create more demand on your time so why put yourself into extra work with raw files? They don't give you enough of a difference in performance to really warrant them unless you are really demanding that extra 10%. Cooked files are also also more flexible on backups, you can back the dbspaces up with a regular backup tool or use the Informix backup tools, but raw files will have to be backed up with Informix tools only. SLES9 is quite a sea change from SLES8, and you could probably get away without SLES and go with the workstation Pro 9.3 if you are on a budget. SLES has better support for SCSI than the workstation versions and you must buy support or the online update doesn't work. It's an enterprise lock-in you might not need so try before you buy. SLES9 can be downloaded for trial, so give it a spin. You should be able to download IDS 10 for trial as well, thus no out of pocket to try it before pay...

Re: read raw data file from server #2
How do you specify the server, outside of SAS, when you try to copy a file to it? Art ---------- On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:33:46 -0700, df ss <tggsun@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >Hello, > I have a lot of txt file on our server. I want to know how to write the infile statement in SAS since there is not any letter to identify the drive name? > Thanks > dd sf > > >--------------------------------- >New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big. ...

Re: Reading in multiple raw data files with headers
Dear Katherine, Departing from your code I would propose the following *untested* amendment: data allfiles; infile 'C:\sasdata\file*.txt' dlm='09'x firstobs=2 eov=newfile missover; retain time 1; if newfile then do; * First record of each next, not first file; newfile=0; * Is this really necessary? Not auto-0 next record? ; time+1; INPUT; * Skip each first line of new file, no variables specified; end; ELSE input var1 var2 var3 var4 var5; * Read the variables as desired; run; Try this and tell us whether it works. Regards - Jim. -- Jim Groeneveld, Neth...

Web resources about - RE: Migrate data from raw device to cooked file - comp.databases.informix

1-800-Flowers Becomes the First Client to Migrate to Facebook’s Revamped Atlas Ad Platform
... platform , which Facebook announced at Advertising Week 2014 in New York at the end of September, has its first client, as 1-800-Flowers migrated ...

Facebook Migrates 400,000 Users to Fans of Apple’s Page
While Facebook has been turning up the marketing on businesses and brand owners to create Facebook Pages, one feature of Pages that is less well ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

'You don't migrate to this country unless you want to join our team': Tony Abbott renews push on national ...
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has elaborated on his "Team Australia" remarks, telling a radio interview that "you don't migrate to this country ...

Tony Abbott's woman problem migrates to his ministry
Tony Abbott is having women trouble. It's nothing he said, mind.

Doctors and Nurses From Poor Countries Migrate To Rich Ones
Australia has saved almost $640 million by poaching doctors from some of the poorest countries in Africa.

Pacific Islanders reject 'climate refugee' status, want to 'migrate with dignity', SIDS conference hears ...
Pacific Islanders who may be forced to flee rising sea levels say they want to be able to migrate with dignity.

Polar bears migrate to Canadian Arctic for longer lasting ice: study
Some polar bear clusters have slowly moved to islands north of Canada's mainland that are retaining the Arctic ice for longer, according to a ...

Apple Music giving former Beats subscribers month grace period to migrate libraries
... all of their content, playlists, music, and preferences will be safe until January 19th, 2016. That means that you have until then to migrate ...

Verizon Explains the Real Reason Geese Migrate
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots , new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv , a company that catalogs, tags ...