Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #2

I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db
and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same
schema(=table definition).

Regards,
Uday.

             "Aashish
             Ramsinghani -
             ASDC, Chennai"                                             To
             <Aashishsr@hcl.in         informix-list@iiug.org
             >                                                          cc
             Sent by:
             owner-informix-li                                     Subject
             st@iiug.org               Moving Informix TableSpaces between
                                       databases

             12/09/2005 07:01
             AM

Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects.
We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both
are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it
disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these
databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their
logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading
it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records
it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and
dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I
don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Aash
sending to informix-list

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of graycol.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pic31583.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of ecblank.gif]
sending to informix-list
0
Uday

Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #2
Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards, Aash sending to informix-list ...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases
Aash You don't tell us which version of IDS you are using, however have you investigated RAW tables (if they are avaialable in your version). They can be created in logged or unlogged dbs and can allow the type of access you require. RAW tables cannot be indexed or have constraints, but the table can be changed to STANDARD (very quickly) and then be indexed. You will not need any intermediate files, just INSERT INTO 'raw_table' SELECT FROM 'source_table'. Keith -----Original Message----- From: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai [mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 13:01 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards, Aash sending to informix-...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #4
Hi Uday, We did considered using the HPL but only because that was the only thing available and it takes a lot of configuration work, we are kinnda short on time and the product we are working on will be deployed to various other clients so we were looking for a generic solution. By the way is there a way of running HPL without creating its underlying database and stuff. I mean just run it like a command line utility more like bulk loader available for SQL server? Thanks and Regards, Aash -----Original Message----- From: Uday Kale [mailto:udayk@us.ibm.com] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 9:25 PM To: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai Cc: informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same schema(=table definition). Regards, Uday. Inactive hide details for "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" ' src="cid:437041605@12122005-1cb3" width=16 border=0>"Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" <Aashishsr@hcl.in> "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" <Aashishsr@hcl.in> Sent by: owner-informix-list@iiug.org 12/09/2005 07:01 AM To informix-list@iiug.org cc Subject Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using ...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #3
Hi Simmon and Superboer thanks you for your suggestions. I tried out the RAW table and it works like a charm, it was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Regards, Aash -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [ mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org <mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org> ]On Behalf Of Simmons, Keith Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:41 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Aash You don't tell us which version of IDS you are using, however have you investigated RAW tables (if they are avaialable in your version). They can be created in logged or unlogged dbs and can allow the type of access you require. RAW tables cannot be indexed or have constraints, but the table can be changed to STANDARD (very quickly) and then be indexed. You will not need any intermediate files, just INSERT INTO 'raw_table' SELECT FROM 'source_table'. Keith -----Original Message----- From: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai [ mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in <mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in> ] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 13:01 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The prob...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases
Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. I saw a thread about "moving tables between databases" but could not find anything in there. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards, Aash --staging has it disabled. the tables in there you could potentially create them to be raw tables and make staging logging enabled. you can alter the table to be logged again followed by a lvl 0 archive or a fake lvl 0 archive another thing: you could create tables in a logged db and use the high perf loader to unload from staging to a fifo and load the tables in the logged db reading from the fifo in express mode. (rowsize has to be < pagesize else buffer cache wil be used...) configure the # of fifo's to write to equal to the # of cpus... and or # of dbspaces in which the table is fragmented... when th...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix databas...

Re: Start informix database #2
Hi.. This is an example INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$INFORMIXDIR/bin INFORMIXSERVER=coldecon_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.coldecon export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit INFORMIXSERVER=opera_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.opera export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit --- madiego <madiego@qf21.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The > server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default...

RE: Informix database creation #2
Hi The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk should have the offset as 600501 . Regards Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d Register in India's No 1 Matrimony. sending to informix-list "Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgsam4$i9q$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Hi > The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk > sh...

Re: Moving Data from Informix SE 4 to Informix SE 7 #2
"DBEXPORT bombs out on certain databases because of corrupted system > > tables and/or bad data." I have found that nearly all instances of DBEXPORT "bombing" are due to invalid data in date fields, especially when the data originated in 4.x or earlier versions of the database. The best way around the problem is by first finding the offending rows with a where clause that includes <datefieldname> not between "01011800" and "12312099" and then updating or deleting such rows with the same where clause. If you delete such rows,...

RE: How long can an Informix database name be? #2
The database name on SE is limited to 10 characters. This is an historical anomaly based on the fact that the database name was used as the directory name where that database will be stored. Directory names in early versions of unix were restricted to 14 characters, but that was including any extension, and as informix used dbname.dbs that restricted the database name to 10 characters. And beware - on some versions that ran on DOS it was further restricted to 8 characters - but that's another story. Regards Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@...

Re: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects #2
Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Christopher wrote: > > >>Can anyone recommend a good naming convention for database objects in >>Informix? >> >>Generally, I use my own variation on Hungarian, but I wondered if >>there is an equivalent of the RVBA (also known as Leszynski/Reddick) >>standard among Informix developers. >> >>I would also be thrilled to find a write-up I can reuse or just plain >>plagiarize. >> >>As an aside, this is to be implemented on IDS 9.4, so long identifiers >>are not an issue....

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #2
Why pay someone ??? It's a trivial task On 10/17/05, Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > > <mccmx@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:1129561344.240798.314750@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Thats sounds promising. > > > > So effectively add a mirrored chunk to each dbspace using onspaces and > > then drop the original chunk. > > > > Can you do this for the rootdbs dbspace too...? > > > > Matt > > > > If it's a production system you might be better off paying someone who > knows > what they're doing to do this for you. > > -- > Neil Truby t:01932 724027 > Director m:07798 811708 > Ardenta Limited e:neil.truby@ardenta.com > > > > -- Paul Watson Tel: +44 7818 003457 Fax: +44 1436 678693 sending to informix-list ...

RE: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #2
Hi Howard. Can you post your sqlhosts,DBSERVERALIAS of oncofig and /etc/services ? Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan . ICQ#:168106592 >From: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >Reply-To: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance >Date: 17 Feb 2004 02:33:01 -0800 > >Informix 9.21.FC4 >HPUX 11.0 > >Hello all, > >DFirstly I wish to thank eveyone who helped me populate the archive >database on our Informix system. All went well over the last weeke...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #2
This is from the -310 SQL errror code. Only one table with a given name can exist in a single database. (In an ANSI-compliant database, the name of the user that created a table name qualifies it, so one table of a given name per user can exist.) Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >Reply-To: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user >Date: 24 Aug 2005 23:22:39...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #2
Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing memory Verify with ipcs -m Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release notes ( if should not impact, but you never know) If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE -----Message d'origine----- De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 � : informix-list@iiug.org Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server Check the release note in $INFO...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

RE: Change database mode online using onmode in Informix #2
onmode -m takes the database server from quiescent or single-user mode to online mode. To bring the server from off-line to on-line, you should just use the oninit command. You could use the oninit -s to initialise shared memory and bring the server to single-user mode and then use onmode -m to bring it to multi-user mode. By the way, you should not use onmode -ky to shut down the server unless you are in quiescent mode. This will not perform a checkpoint and can, in some situations, lead to data loss or corruption. I recommend shutting down with onmode -yuk. This brings the databa...

Re: get syntax error when loading data to a informix database #2
Umesh said: > Hi > I have ids 9.4 oon windows and csdk. l successfully connected > to the database using Visula Basic 6. > When l build a string for example > SQL1 = "select * from hse2 where field1 matches " & "'a*' > and execute using : DbaseConn.Execute (SQL1) it works fine. > > When l try to load data to a table : > SQL1 = "load from " & " 'd:\x.unl' " & " insert into hse2" > or > SQL1 = "load from 'd:\x.unl' insert into hse2 > > I get a syntax error -201. Anyone know why. Because the LOAD statement is specific to DBACCESS, not SQL. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed sending to informix-list ...

Re: Open source sql client for accessing Informix database #2
works for me..... david@smooth1.co.uk wrote: > Tried to email you but it bounced... > > Your web site gives your email address as mailto:marco@4glworks.com > > but this bounces! > > email me at david@smooth1.co.uk > > -- Ciao, Marco ______________________________________________________________________________ Marco Greco /UK /IBM Standard disclaimers apply! Informix faq http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/informix.htm 4glworks http://www.4glworks.com ...

Web resources about - Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #2 - comp.databases.informix

tablespace.net - Homepage for William Favorite
Homepage for William Favorite - Technology and historical map resources.

Data model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A high-level data model in business or for any functional area is an abstract model that documents and organizes the business data for communication ...

ADC WorldMap Digital Atlas v6.1 Quote Form
ADC WorldMap Digital Atlas Quote Form.

HOPE Festival seeks ‘Do One Thing’ submissions and volunteers
ORONO — The 19th HOPE (Help Organize Peace Earthwide) Festival will be held 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, April 27, at the Student Recreation and ...

BMC Buys Database Automation Firm GridApp
Shares of enterprise software maker BMC Software ( BMC ) are up 11 cents at $45.87 after the company this morning said it acquired 8-year-old ...

Demonstrations - BMC Software
Automatically identify IT components and configurations, and interpret raw, discovered data from individual software processes to large-scale, ...

With InnoDB’s Transportable Tablespaces, Recovering Data from Stranded .ibd Files is a Thing of the Past ...
Chris Calender on MySQL, Tips, Tricks, Recipes, Advanced Troubleshooting, Performance Tuning, Data Recovery, Corruption, SkySQL, Chris Calendar ...

Oracle releases beta for Express Edition of 11g database
Oracle 11g Express Edition, the free-of-charge version of Oracle's flagship database, is now in beta.

Database Management Articles for MS SQL. Oracle, DB2, Access, MySQL, PostgreSQL & PHP - Database Journal ...
Database Journal features contain database articles related to various database systems including MS SQL, Oracle, DB2, Access, MySQL, PostgreSQL ...

AWS Direct Connect Enabled Services - Datapipe
Datapipe AWS Direct Connect Enable Services - High Performance Managed Databases