Re: MS Access 2003: Linked Tables

Dear Informixers,

a while ago I posted a question about a problem linking IDS 7.31UD8
tables into MS Access 2003 using the Informix ODBC driver from
I-Connect 2.81TC3.

This driver is in the file "iclit09b.dll" in the INFORMIXDIR\bin
directory and has version # 3.82.0.11811. In the meantime, I found
that the ODBC driver from the previous Connect version 2.81TC2 works;
it has version # 3.82.0.11600. Just copying the older dll over the
newer one did the job.

I still wonder why IBM/Informix cannot get their act together and
supply ODBC drivers that just work. From sporadic postings in this
group, I gather that even the ODBC driver from the newest 2.90
program suite still has problems, especially with Access. However,
from the low number of postings about this topic, I assume
that not many peoply bother using Informix's driver...

Regards, Richard

0
Richard

Richard Spitz wrote:

> I still wonder why IBM/Informix cannot get their act together and
> supply ODBC drivers that just work. From sporadic postings in this
> group, I gather that even the ODBC driver from the newest 2.90
> program suite still has problems, especially with Access. However,
> from the low number of postings about this topic, I assume
> that not many peoply bother using Informix's driver...

I don't use the ODBC drivers with Access so can't comment on your
original problem. I somewhat agree with the sentiment about CSDK. We
have a serious problem with updating blob values through OLE DB where
the driver leaks memory very quickly and the executable performing the
operation can grow to hundreds of megabytes within seconds. It was
confirmed as a bug in 2.81 when we had direct access to IBM Technical
Support. It's still a problem in 2.90.TC1 and we are trying to get
OpenPSL to exert what pressure they can on IBM to fix it. Whether our
experience is typical or not I don't know.

Ben.
0
Ben
7/26/2005 11:30:58 AM
ben, do you have the bug number?

0
scottishpoet
7/26/2005 12:50:14 PM
There was a CSDK problem related to a memory leak.This is bug 169500.

This problem should be resolved if you run the coledb.sql script.

Do you know if you have run this script?

0
scottishpoet
7/26/2005 3:37:29 PM
scottishpoet wrote:
> There was a CSDK problem related to a memory leak.This is bug 169500.
>
> This problem should be resolved if you run the coledb.sql script.
>
> Do you know if you have run this script?

Thank you for this. I will try and get back to you. We only have an
OpenPSL case number now and not an IBM case number unfortunately so I
can't confirm that this is the same issue.

Ben.
0
Ben
7/27/2005 7:11:02 AM
I can now confirm that running the coledbp.sql against sysmaster has
fixed our problem and our application using CSDK no longer leaks memory.
For the benefit of anyone else, the coledbp.sql script is distributed
with Client SDK for Windows (I am using 2.90.TC1) and lives in the etc
subdirectory. It seems from our point of view that it would be a great
idea to create the tables in the coledbp.sql script in the sysmaster
database shipped with IDS. Many thanks for this, it solves a lot of
issues for us.

Ben.
0
Ben
7/27/2005 9:01:02 AM
Glad I could help.

0
scottishpoet
7/27/2005 9:24:47 AM
"scottishpoet" <dryburghj@yahoo.com> schrieb:

>There was a CSDK problem related to a memory leak.This is bug 169500.
>
>This problem should be resolved if you run the coledb.sql script.

Is it possible to use the OLE DB driver without first having run this script?
I seem to remember getting error messages to that effect, but it has been
a while.

Regards, Richard
0
Richard
7/27/2005 9:56:49 AM
Richard Spitz wrote:

> Is it possible to use the OLE DB driver without first having run this script?
> I seem to remember getting error messages to that effect, but it has been
> a while.

Well we've been using it for years...

Ben.
0
Ben
7/27/2005 11:41:19 AM
Richard Spitz <Richard.Spitz@med.uni-muenchen.de> schrieb:

>Is it possible to use the OLE DB driver without first having run this script?
>I seem to remember getting error messages to that effect, but it has been
>a while.

Just found out that it is indeed possible to use OLE DB without having run
the script against sysmaster. Bummer!

There are several OLEDB-related scripts that come with CSDK. One to create
OLEDB support (coledbp.sql), one to remove it (doledbp.sql) and two to
update the supported versions: uoledbp2021.sql and uoledbp2125.sql. The
manual only mentions the former two but not the latter, and the instructions
for upgrading from previous versions say to first run the remove script and
then the create script. So what are the latter two for?

Does installation of OLEDB support through the script mentioned above only
affect native OLEDB access to the database, or could the Informix ODBC driver
also be affected?

Regards, Richard
0
Richard
7/27/2005 12:32:49 PM
You can run it however the manual does say :

"After installation, you must run the script coledbp.sql on the
Informix server against the sysmaster database as user informix. IBM
Informix OLE DB Provider requires the stored procedures added to the
server by the coledbp.sql script. The script is located in the
INFORMIXDIR\etc directory."

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ids9help/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.oledb.doc/oledbmst29.htm

0
scottishpoet

Linking an Oracle table to MS Access via ODBC: Access assigns wrong primary key to linked table
Hello, I'm using Access to link to tables of a calculation tool that's been built = on a Oracle back end. I recently updated that tool, and now it seems something has been changed i= n Oracle that causes Access to automatically assign the wrong primary keys = to certain tables. This happens when I update the tables using the connecti= vity wizard or when re-linking the tables. Is there a way to prevent Acces to automatically put keys to the Oracle tab= les I'm trying to link using ODBC? If I'm linking MySQL tables the ODBC con= nection wizard of Access always asks ...

Linking an Oracle table to MS Access via ODBC: Access assigns wrong primary key to linked table
Hello, I'm using Access to link to tables of a calculation tool that's been built = on a Oracle back end. I recently updated that tool, and now it seems something has been changed i= n Oracle that causes Access to automatically assign the wrong primary keys = to certain tables. This happens when I update the tables using the connecti= vity wizard or when re-linking the tables. Is there a way to prevent Acces to automatically put keys to the Oracle tab= les I'm trying to link using ODBC? If I'm linking MySQL tables the ODBC con= nection wizard of Access always asks ...

Accessing linked tables in MS Access database using JDBC ODBC Bridge
Does anyone know if JDBC can access linked tables in a Microsoft Access? We have a Mictosoft Access database that contains linked tables that are physically on a network drive. On a windows machine, We set up a java servlet that uses JDBC to connect to a microsoft access database using a DSN name set up in the ODBC administrator. We are able to run a query using a table that is physically on the database but not on tables linked into the database. The linked tables are comng from another Microsoft Access database on a mapped network drive. The java servlet and the database contain...

Accessing linked tables in MS Access database using JDBC ODBC Bridge #2
Does anyone know if JDBC can access linked tables in a Microsoft Access? We have a Mictosoft Access database that contains linked tables that are physically on a network drive. On a windows machine, We set up a java servlet that uses JDBC to connect to a microsoft access database using a DSN name set up in the ODBC administrator. We are able to run a query using a table that is physically on the database but not on tables linked into the database. The linked tables are comng from another Microsoft Access database on a mapped network drive. The java servlet and the database contain...

MS Access 2003: Linked Tables
Hi Informixers, I'm trying to link an Informix table into an MS Access 2003 Database using the ODBC driver from Informix Connect 2.81TC3. The ODBC driver version is "IBM INFORMIX 3.82 32BIT", the database engine is IDS WE 7.31UD8 running on a Linux system, client operating system is XP SP2. I have a System DSN configured which works like a charm for importing data into Excel or with MS Query. But when I use that for linking an Informix table in Access 2003, I get an error message "ODBC Call failed" (translated from German). There are no errors on the server side. With "onstat -u" I can find the session, and "onstat -g sql <sessionid> shows no error: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- informix@oitamx:~ > onstat -g sql 153979 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UD8 -- On-Line -- Up 59 days 19:59: 14 -- 469160 Kbytes Sess SQL Current Iso Lock SQL ISAM F.E. Id Stmt type Database Lvl Mode ERR ERR Vers 153979 - andok91 CR Not Wait 0 0 9.22 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- In Access, the table gets displayed with correct headers, but the data fields all display "#Name?". In the ODBC trace, there are several error messages: DIAG [S1000] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][-11302] Insufficient Connection information was s...

Link AS400 tables in MS Access 2003
MS Access 2003 on a new employee's PC does not prompt to "Select Unique Record Identifier" when linking to AS400 logicals through a dsn - it automatically recognizes the key fields. The Access version is 11.5614.5703 with no service pack. My Access 2003 (11.6355.6360 SP1) recognizes key fields on AS400 physical files, but not the logicals. How do I get my Access 2003 to recognize the key fields in the logicals? We have IBM iSeries Access for Windows Version 5 release 2 modification level 0 service level SI10914. White Horse wrote: > MS Access 2003 on a new employee'...

I get ODBC Timeout (#0) just trying to open a linked table in MS Access 2003 arghghghgh!!!
any idea how i can by pass this error , i need to plugin a SQL vew & create a query using Access. Running the vew in SQL returns 19458 rows ... i keep getting ODBC timeout errors when trying to do anything with this linked table.. help?! ...

Access 2003 linked table manager not displaying tables
Greetings! After finally figuring out that the Linked Table manager is no longer an add-in in Access 2003 I now discover that it does not display any of my linked tables in the 'select linked tables to be updated' list. Although I have about 30 linked tables in my application, absolutely none of them are showing up in the list. I compacted and repaired, but that didn't have any effect. Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, how is it corrected? Thanks. Bruce bruce@aristotle.net (Bruce) wrote: >Greetings! > >After finally figuring out that the Linked Table manag...

Identifying Access Databases with tables linked from other Databases/Files
Hi, Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a few of them. My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications may be linking to the database or its tables. Is there a method of searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are linked to. I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files link to which, but just that a link exists. Thanks in advance for any help. Bill It is easy to find the files which it links to but I don't know of any way to find the files which link to it. If you want to find the ones it links to look ...

Access 2003 table links fail after restarting access
Here is my problem I create new db in access Link tables from a MySQL server on remote machine to access As long as I dont close access everything works fine. As soon as I close access and restart it again the links no longer work and I have to recreate the links. Does this everytime. HELP!! C ...

I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up to now I was running it on a win 98 computer and using access 2003! I installed access 2003 and I can make it run and view the data but I can not save any new records. Has any one seen this problem yet? Thanks Clarence Wollman On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:17:13 -0700, cwoll <clarencewollman@gmail.com> wrote: Do you have the same problem with the Northwind sample application? (search your computer for northwind.mdb) -Tom. >I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up >to now I was running...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the progra...

Hi, I have an application with MS-Access as backend and JSP/ tomcat as frontend/webserver. For getting better response time(as access is very slow compared to other RDBMS's), I have split the main DB into two DB's on different disks on my server for better performance.I have kept the table names same but changed the DB names. How do I access tables from both the DB's? This is what I have done; I made different connection to the respective DB's i.e. con and con2. When I want to access data, I am using 2 result sets for retriving data from the tables, but getting no re...

Re: How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
The answer is given here: Problem Note 7495: No read permission on System Tables when using SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC with a Microsoft Access ODBC Driver http://support.sas.com/kb/7/495.html Regards Dietrich Dietrich Alte schrieb: > Dear all, > > I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know > when they were created and/or modified. > The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, > but I have not managed to read it from SAS. > (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) > --> Does anybody have a work...

Problems accessing a MySQL database via an Access linked table
Hello In order to perform a hetrogeneous join (I think that's what they're called) between MySQL and another database, I've created an Access database containing linked tables from each datasource. I create the linked tables without any problems, clicking on "save password" before selecting the desired tables. I can then access both tables fine from within the Access GUI. The problem starts when I then try to access this data from my ASP.NET web application - classic ASP works fine but .NET gives me... ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--conn...

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #2
Hi Jean, It looks like your problem is that you've got a quote in a table name: Additional'n=20 If it is possible to rename that table, that might work. =20 Also, if you use the import feature in SAS, it will write code for you = that you can save and put in a program- you might try that to see if it = can handle this kind of file name. I'd rename the table in Access, = though- a quote in a table name is likely to contiously cause you = problems. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: JKamgang@Yahoo.com=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Wednesday, January 16...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #3
Jean - Unfortunately you are stuck - SAS only allows dataset names up to 32 bytes long - using name literals or conventional names. Defining short-named queries of your tables within MSAccess is a very good idea. The SAS libname engine will read the queries as tables and it doesn't necessitate changing your table names. Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of JKamgang@Yahoo.com Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:32 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to access automatically in...

Importing MS Office Excel Comma Separated Values Files into a MS Access 2003 database
Hi, I have been tasked with Importing MS Office Excel Comma Separated Values Files into a MS Access 2003 database. These files were exported from a DB2 database.I have also been given the DDL code. I have Googled a solution to this task and have tried creating these tables using the DDL code in a query within a blank MS Access database. Is there a more expedient way to achieve this? I noticed, for example, that a field in DB2 has a data type of "decimal" while the same field in MS Access 2003 would have the data type of "number". Thanks, Zuf What follows i...

Re: <Plug>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database fromthe HP3K
PeteVickers wrote: > take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. > http://www.gui-innovations.com/html/sqllink3000.html explains a bit more > about it, and includes some documentation i think i need to say <plug> too....as we're successfully using sqllink. it's a tidy (non-sprawl) install and easy for the programmers to use. it does need some sort of windows machine/server inbetween brokering the communication. </plug> - d -- Donna Garverick Sr. System Programmer 925-210-6631 dgarverick@longs.com Come, my friends, 'T...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Mr. Ryan, I Wrote: > <plug> > > MPE/iX Enterprise Client: > >www.advnetsys.com/enterprise.html >* Does not require ADO or ODBC Drivers >* Uses native access for outstanding performance. >* The middleware server is not just limited to Windows - runs on >Unix, >Linux Windows and HP e3000. >* Implements database pooling on the middleware for outstanding >performance. >* In a addition to database XL, we have available libraries for SAP >BAPI >and SOAP calls. </plug> Mr. Ryan kindly pointed out: >While your p...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #2
> <plug> > > MPE/iX Enterprise Client: > www.advnetsys.com/enterprise.html * Does not require ADO or ODBC Drivers * Uses native access for outstanding performance. * The middleware server is not just limited to Windows - runs on Unix, Linux Windows and HP e3000. * Implements database pooling on the middleware for outstanding performance. * In a addition to database XL, we have available libraries for SAP BAPI and SOAP calls. Regards, David Thatcher Advanced Network Systems, Inc. www.advnetsys.com </plug> While your product sounds interestin...

Web resources about - Re: MS Access 2003: Linked Tables - comp.databases.informix

Random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Random access memory ( RAM ) is a form of computer data storage . A random access device allows stored data to be accessed in any order in very ...

ABC Allowed Exclusive Access to Final Hour of Oscars Red Carpet
Award show red carpets have become almost as big of a deal as the award ceremony they precede. And once again there will be several live TV ...

Ping Identity offers flexible real-time access for digital enterprises
... interconnected world where systems may be both local and in the cloud. Security company Ping Identity is launching a new Federated Access Management ...

Bill Gates hedges on FBI demand for iPhone access
Microsoft's co-founder treads lightly down the middle road on the sharply divisive matter of Apple breaking into an iPhone tied to the San Bernardino ...

Hackers can access the Nissan Leaf via insecure APIs
... by using mobile management APIs supplied by the car manufacturer. The unsecured APIs allow anyone who knows the VIN number of a car to access ...

Hackers can access the Nissan Leaf via insecure APIs
Security researchers have demonstrated that if you have a Nissan Leaf's VIN number, you can access location data and control some features on ...

Labor Department Accused Of Blocking Access To Guest Workers
Labor Department Accused Of Blocking Access To Guest Workers

Texas Rangers: Cole Hamels sues promoter after failing to score Victoria's Secret Fashion Show access ...
PHILADELPHIA — Texas Rangers pitcher Cole Hamels struck out trying to see last year's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, and he's suing a...

The Public Access Weekly: This chain reaction
Today isn't just the day that you get a brand, spankin' new Public Access Weekly it's also Johnny Cash's birthday so put on something black, ...

A Growing Startup's 'Active Lifestyle' Products Fund Access To Water, Education And Transportation
Social enterprise MiiR helps fund access to clean water, education and transportationand tripled revenues last year.