Re: Perl DBD::Informix and IDS 64-bit

Hi,

I'm using Perl 64 bit on Solaris 9. The Sun provided Perl is 5.6.1 and
32bit.
So I built my own 5.8.0 with the Sun CC 5.4 and DBD-Informix 2003.04 and
DBI 1.34, CSDK 2.81FC2, IDS 7.31FD5. Works fine and is in production now.
But I never managed it to get a DBI>1.34 working on this Plattform. I've
escalated this case with IBM informix Support here in Germany, but it
didn't get to Jonathan Leffeler I think.

The problem was that DBI->errstr pointed in the wrong direction so that I
got a Segmentation Violation when trying to print it.

> I'm curious: does anyone have any experience using Perl
> DBD::Informix with 64-bit IDS? If so, how well does it work (if it
> works at all)? Any "gotchas" to look out for?

There are two parts to the answer.

1.  The nit-picking pedantry bit says "It depends on whether you
     build with a 32-bit or 64-bit version of CSDK - because a
     32-bit CSDK cannot use shared memory communications with a
     64-bit server - but otherwise there are no issues whatsoever".

2.  I can't answer for other people, but I can give you my
     perspective on it.

The issue with using Perl with a 64-bit IDS tends to be getting a
64-bit Perl.  That depends on the platform - which you don't mention -
but where you have a choice of 32-bit or 64-bit (eg Solaris), the
default builds of Perl tend to be 32-bit, and that won't work with a
64-bit CSDK.

So, stage 1 is understand whether you have a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue to
address, and make sure you have Perl built correctly for the version
of CSDK you want to use.

There are some (what I hope are) minor warnings during a build of
DBD::Informix with a 64-bit CSDK.  The major problem is tempus fugit.

If anyone wants to offer help in improving 64-bit support, talk to me!
--
General Logistics Systems
Thomas Mieslinger

Perl DBD::Informix and IDS 64-bit
Hello, I'm curious: does anyone have any experience using Perl DBD::Informix with 64-bit IDS? If so, how well does it work (if it works at all)? Any "gotchas" to look out for? Thanks in advance, - TJG Thomas J. Girsch wrote: > I'm curious: does anyone have any experience using Perl > DBD::Informix with 64-bit IDS? If so, how well does it work (if it > works at all)? Any "gotchas" to look out for? There are two parts to the answer. 1. The nit-picking pedantry bit says "It depends on whether you build with a 32-bit or...

Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
I found a solution, It worked well with tcp connections, Looks like perl's Informix DBD Module doesn't like shared memory connections,at least with my versions. But I can live with tcp connections. Thanks anyway. I have other question , Does anybody knows how to actually get the number of rows returned/affected in a query with perl ? I tried with : $nrows=$sth->rows(); always returned 0. $nrows = $sth->{ix_sqlerrd}[2] always returned 0 too. Any ideas ? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralag...

[Fwd: Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module]
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000806050204000100000404 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I sent this to Francisco from the office, and I don't have direct posting access to news groups while I'm in the office. He agreed that the example code using rows worked and answered his questions. "Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralagricola.com.gt> wrote: >> I found a solution, >> It worked well with tcp connections, >> Looks like perl's Informix DBD...

ANNOUNCE: DBD::Informix
IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01 (2005-03-14) has been uploaded to CPAN. IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl (also known as DBD::Informix) is the driver code that enables Perl 5.6.1 or later to access Informix databases via the DBI module (but if you are not already using Perl 5.8.5, you should be planning to upgrade to it). You will need the code for DBI version 1.38 or later as well (v1.48 recommended). The code for DBD::Informix is available for download via: http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-category/07_Database_Interfaces http://dbi.perl.org/ ** When you...

RE: Restoring ontape archives between 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Informix
If you are running on a new server, then how much faster is the new server than the olds server and how much more resources does the new server have? If you are upgrading the old server and not adding more resources or reconfiguring the engine for the change then I would expect it to run slightly slower. It depends ..... MW > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Ben Thompson > Sent: Wednesday, 16 February 2005 5:22 a.m. > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Restoring ontap...

FW: RE: Informix IDS query to the Informix -list
Fwd from sputnik� ________________________________________ From: None [mailto:myinformix@rediffmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 02:08 To: Jean Georges Perrin Subject: Re: RE: Informix IDS query to the Informix -list � Hi Jean, Thank you for your prompt reply. If you can please publish the following request in informix-list@iiug.org where all our Informix gurus are roaming. I am a registered user at iiug an it was my first attempt to publish anything. Please let me know if this is not possible for you to publish in the above list. Thank you very much. Sputnik...

RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql
sorry I suck. When running esql -o esqlbasic esqlbasic.ec -----Original Message----- From: Gentsch, Sam Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 4:08 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Informix DBD, PERL and esql Actually this is a esqlc problem and may be because we are trying to use gcc instead of cc_r I receive gcc: '-b' must come at the start of the command line Or cc: '-b' must come at the start of the command line if INFORMIXC not set. IBM Support said there was a bug for 4gl basically saying gcc does not work with it and they were not planning on fixi...

Re: Perl DBD:Informix on NT
To avoid getting a C compiler and building the Informix module on Windows, I used the ODBC module and was able to connect to my Informix databases from Windows easily. Here were the steps: 1- Install the CSDK on Windows 2- Set all the connection info in setnet32 and test it with ilogin or dbping. 3- Create a ODBC DSN and test it. 4- Install the DBD:ODBC perl module 5- Create my perl script with using DBD:ODBC and the DSN created in setp 3. The only issues you may have are if you are using Informix specific features that are not supported in the ODBC module. If you stick to g...

You could try issuing the following statement and see what the engine is configured for. onstat -g env This will give you the environment of the engine. I believe it is listed there what the locale is set to. David -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of bobkot@gmail.com Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:28 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My ...

RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql #3
Gentsch, Sam said: > This is my last post on this, hate to torment you folks with my lack of > gcc prowess. > No comments from you OTC! :) I would never mock someone's inability to perform. Much. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche A smile is a gift that is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving someone the finger is free too, and I find it more personal and sincere. sending to informix-list ...

RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql #4
Thanks to all !! I posted most of it for your consumption, if you need it all email me, and I will send it. S -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 1:27 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Informix DBD, PERL and esql Superboer wrote: > ahum did a quick search for aix and > loc_t ... > check out > > -D_H_LOCALEDEF Yes - that was a major part of the problem. Sam now has a severely hacked AIX-specific ESQL/C script that wor...

RE: Informix DBD, PERL and esql #2
After stripping every flag out of the esql program that it whined about I get down to: gcc: CC_TH=gcc: No such file or directory In file included from /usr/include/sys/localedef.h:46, from /opt/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0/3.3.2/include/stdlib.h: 538, from esqlbasic.ec:25: /usr/include/sys/localedef31.h:195: error: conflicting types for `loc_t' /opt/informix/IDS_9.40.FC6/incl/esql/locator.h:123: error: previous declaration of `loc_t' This is my last post on this, hate to torment you folks with my lack of gcc prowes...

Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
Hi everybody, I have Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.30.UC11 on Red Hat Linux 9 perl v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi DBI 1.42 DBD Informix 2003.04 After installing perl's DBI and DBD Modules for Informix I finally get a script to connect and disconnect to the database . But after running the script several times (that only connects and disconnects to the database ) , the server hangs and it does not let to connect to any database with the message : 25588: The appl process cannot connect to the database server Restarting the server fix the problem but I can not...

Web resources about - Re: Perl DBD::Informix and IDS 64-bit - comp.databases.informix