Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #2

Hi Fernando,

I have some information regarding the O_DIRECT flag.

IDS V10  detects automatically that it runs on Linux Kernel 2.6 and if KAIO
is enabled then it  turns on the O_DIRECT flag!

To enable KAIO:

The libaio.so library is required, regardless of the distribution
or kernel level. At the time of writing, IBM Informix Dynamic Server V10.0
requires a minimum of libaio 0.3.96-3.

Please also read the release notes for more information!
bye
Sandor

IBM Informix Development Munich
Information Management
Hollerithstra�e 1
81829 Munich  Germany

             Fernando Ortiz
             <fortiz@lacorona.
             com.mx>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  "Informix-Discussion E-List
             owner-informix-li         (E-mail)" <informix-list@iiug.org>
             st@iiug.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             03.03.2005 18:45          raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT)

Hi,

I just installed IDS 10 on linux and this is what I have found:

- It required glibc 2.3.3 and I was using and old redhat 8, so I upgraded
linux to Fedora Core 3. Dependency fixed

- Required libstdc++.so.5, FC3 includes libstdc++.6[.0.3] so make a
symbolic link (yes I should downgrade but like with curses4 works fine)

- I can't use raw devices with FC3!  it's depretacted, the new way is
using the O_DIRECT flag when opening the chunks, of course in a
close-source program like IDS the only hope is to open a feature request.

     + RHEL 4 has this deprecated options enabled so I don't think IBM
will be interested in this solution.

     + The advantage of O_DIRECT is you dont need to make the association
with the /dev/raw devices and rawio will be always in effect, also KAIO is
enabled by default with rawdevices.

     + The workaround is make a new linux-util and kernel package with raw
enabled.

I'll make my custom kernel and try.
sending to informix-list

sending to informix-list
0
Sandor

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT)
Hi, On Thursday 03 March 2005 18:45, you wrote: > Hi, > > I just installed IDS 10 on linux and this is what I have found: > > - It required glibc 2.3.3 and I was using and old redhat 8, so I upgraded > linux to Fedora Core 3. Dependency fixed > > - Required libstdc++.so.5, FC3 includes libstdc++.6[.0.3] so make a > symbolic link (yes I should downgrade but like with curses4 works fine) Fedora Core 3 delivers compat-libstdc++-8-3.3.4.2.i386.rpm which include the right link to libstdc++.so.5. If you install the package you can resolve the dependency ...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #3
Hi Sandor: Without the library libaio I got 08:32:46 libaio.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 08:32:46 Please install libaio package. See machine notes. 08:32:46 Warning: Kernel Asynchronous I/O is disabled. After installing the library and leaving raw devices disabled in kernel (default), IDS 10 uses KAIO. [root@tina 0333]# cat /proc/sys/fs/aio-nr 32768 [root@tina ~]# onstat -g iov IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 10.00.UC1 -- On-Line -- Up 01:21:20 -- 1799820 Kbytes AIO I/O vps: class/vp s io/s totalops dskread dskwrite dskcopy...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #6
Martin Fuerderer escribi�: > Hi, > > in your Machine Specific Notes you should see something like this: > > ------------------------------------------------------- > 3. Kernel Asynchronous I/O (KAIO) > > Asynchronous I/O is supported by the official Linux kernel since > version > 2.6.x. IBM Informix Dynamic Server supports Kernel Asynchronous I/O > (KAIO) > on character devices (a.k.a. raw devices) and block devices. It is ^^^^ > enabled > by default, and can...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #4
Hi Andreas, Andreas Breitfeld escribi�: > Hi, > > On Thursday 03 March 2005 18:45, you wrote: > >>Hi, >> >>I just installed IDS 10 on linux and this is what I have found: >> >>- Required libstdc++.so.5, FC3 includes libstdc++.6[.0.3] so make a >>symbolic link (yes I should downgrade but like with curses4 works fine) > > Fedora Core 3 delivers compat-libstdc++-8-3.3.4.2.i386.rpm which include the > right link to libstdc++.so.5. If you install the package you can resolve the > dependency clean. > > Andre...

Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #5
Hi, in your Machine Specific Notes you should see something like this: ------------------------------------------------------- 3. Kernel Asynchronous I/O (KAIO) Asynchronous I/O is supported by the official Linux kernel since version 2.6.x. IBM Informix Dynamic Server supports Kernel Asynchronous I/O (KAIO) on character devices (a.k.a. raw devices) and block devices. It is enabled by default, and can be disabled by setting the environment variable KAIOOFF=1 in the environment of the process that brings up the server. ... Note that the li...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #2
Why pay someone ??? It's a trivial task On 10/17/05, Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > > <mccmx@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:1129561344.240798.314750@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Thats sounds promising. > > > > So effectively add a mirrored chunk to each dbspace using onspaces and > > then drop the original chunk. > > > > Can you do this for the rootdbs dbspace too...? > > > > Matt > > > > If it's a production system you might be better off paying someone who &...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #2
Christian Knappke wrote > > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote: > > > Here is one I prepared earlier --- > > > > onbar/ontape whatever .. > > FORCEOL=n > > until onstat - | grep "On-Line" > /dev/null > > do > > echo "Off line" # ; sleep 20 > > onstat - | grep "[BQ][lu][oi][ce][ks]" > /dev/null && ( echo > > "\nServ blokd" > > if [ x$FORCEOL = "xn" ] ; then > > echo "On...

Re: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #2
I know one. I've posted the name privately, as the last time I made the error of sharing information about a client on this list, a consultant (?) from this list cold called them. Nice behaviour. Pete _________________________________________________________________ Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband sending to informix-list sending to informix-list Maelwys Filidh wrote: > I know one. I've posted the name privately, as the last time I made > the error of sharing information about a client on thi...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix databas...

raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT)
Hi, I just installed IDS 10 on linux and this is what I have found: - It required glibc 2.3.3 and I was using and old redhat 8, so I upgraded linux to Fedora Core 3. Dependency fixed - Required libstdc++.so.5, FC3 includes libstdc++.6[.0.3] so make a symbolic link (yes I should downgrade but like with curses4 works fine) - I can't use raw devices with FC3! it's depretacted, the new way is using the O_DIRECT flag when opening the chunks, of course in a close-source program like IDS the only hope is to open a feature request. + RHEL 4 has this deprecated op...

Re: hi Cant load informix online 5.2 on linux -8 ( rpm file) #2
Hi, As Tsutomu said it's a bug in the RPM package of Red Hat 8, I know two workarounds: 1. - When you get the error message type 'OVERRIDE', (all caps and without the apostrophe). 2 . export RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/informix export INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix install without any relocation HTH ----- Original Message ----- From: "RATHER" <myzahoor@yahoo.co.uk> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 11:57 PM Subject: hi Cant load informix online 5.2 on linux -8 ( rpm file) > Hello friends > > RE...

RE: Informix database creation #2
Hi The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk should have the offset as 600501 . Regards Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d Register in India's No 1 Matrimony. sending to informix-list "Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgsam4$i9q$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Hi > The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk > sh...

RE: Mirror / Raw device / Informix
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6153D.0A4774A2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Muthana- In order to use redundant drives on your server: in your onconfig file, change MIRROR 0 to MIRROR 1, then bounce your database. You may then use onspaces -m to mirror your dbspaces. Read the manual first. For replication across servers, Informix has built in high availability data replication (master - slave only) and enterprise replication (can be configured in many ...

Re: Start informix database #2
Hi.. This is an example INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$INFORMIXDIR/bin INFORMIXSERVER=coldecon_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.coldecon export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit INFORMIXSERVER=opera_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.opera export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit --- madiego <madiego@qf21.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The > server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default...

RE: Raw or Buffered device? #2
Robert My whole Disaster Recovery (sorry Business Continuity) plan is based on the fact that I can take an archive to a new machine (same O/S, same Informix, similar Processors but totally different disk arrangement (EMC compared to ClarIIon) ), set up the existing chunk softlinks to new raw disk and restore without thinking about it. The raw disk just needs to be the same size as the existing and 660:informix:informix. I've done this on v5 and v7 for the past 5 years and will be doing so again this week. Keith -----Original Message----- From: r.a.reissaus@risdi.com [ma...

Re: Re: IDS Support for KAIO on Linux kernel 2.6+ #2
We have announced that the next version of IDS (coming soon!!!!) will support KAIO on Linux! Please check the presentation: http://www-1.ibm.com/partnerworld/pwhome.nsf/weblook/eac_index_biz25aug.html Goto: Access the replay and view the presentations originally given on 01 Dec 2004 bye Sandor "Jean Sagi" <jeansagi@myrealb ox.com> ...

Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #2
I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same schema(=table definition). Regards, Uday. "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" To <Aashishsr@hcl.in informix-list@iiug.org > cc Sent by: owner-informix-li Subject s...

RE: The old raw devices chestnut. #2
Oracle uses some offset when it placed data onto raw devices. When You restore data previously kept on cooked files onto raw devices, You need to copy files using this offset (smth like 500 kBytes on Digital UNIX, may very on other platforms) ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin > > Any of Oracle, Informix or DB2 will cope with this equally as well as if on > "cooked" disk. Informix will even let you restore a dbspace held oncooked > chunks to be restored to a raw disk (or vice versa). The others may do too > although I think th...

Re: Raw devices vs. Filesystems #2
No point to beating a dead horse (other than the sheer joy of the thing) since postgres does not have raw device support, but ... raw devices, at least on solaris, are about 10 times as fast as cooked file systems for Informix. This might still be a gain for postgres' performance, but the portability issues remain. raw device use in Informix is safer in terms of data because Informix does not ever have to use the regular file system and so issues of buffering and so on go away. My understanding -- fortunately not ever tried in the real world -- is that postgres' WAL log system ...

RE: How long can an Informix database name be? #2
The database name on SE is limited to 10 characters. This is an historical anomaly based on the fact that the database name was used as the directory name where that database will be stored. Directory names in early versions of unix were restricted to 14 characters, but that was including any extension, and as informix used dbname.dbs that restricted the database name to 10 characters. And beware - on some versions that ran on DOS it was further restricted to 8 characters - but that's another story. Regards Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@...

Re: raw vs. cooked files under linux #2
Dear Heinz, I would suggest that you pick SUSE SLES 9 This SUSE version works perfectly with IDS 10. Please check the following link: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/ids.html With IDS 10 you have the freedom of choice to use cooked or raw devices with KAIO This link should answer your raw device support question http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0503szabo/?ca=dgr-lnxw41IDSTen Let me know if you have any additional questions. bye Sandor IBM Informix Development Munich Information Management Hollerithstra�e 1 81...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #2
And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications on linux? Which informix versions, which linux platform? It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am wrong) Mario R. Canto Andrew Hamm wrote: > > Gary Quiring wrote: > > I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on > > Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users > > connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and > > they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more ...

RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
In the past we have used Informix's internal mirroring capabilities to move to new disk arrays. This should also work to move from raw to cooked disks. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 9:26 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a w...

Re: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects #2
Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Christopher wrote: > > >>Can anyone recommend a good naming convention for database objects in >>Informix? >> >>Generally, I use my own variation on Hungarian, but I wondered if >>there is an equivalent of the RVBA (also known as Leszynski/Reddick) >>standard among Informix developers. >> >>I would also be thrilled to find a write-up I can reuse or just plain >>plagiarize. >> >>As an aside, this is to be implemented on IDS 9.4, so long identifiers >>are not an issue....

Web resources about - Re: raw devices in linux (O_DIRECT) #2 - comp.databases.informix

Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Dan Rosenberg @ djrbliss ...

ext4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and proposed to fork the source code of ext3, rename it as ext4, and do all the development there, without affecting the current ext3 users. ...

on io scheduling again
Most of database engines have to deal with underlying layers - operating systems, device drivers, firmware and physical devices, albeit different ...

An ode to running a database on bare metal
... the things they recommended, which we implemented: set vm.swappiness kernel setting to 0 in /etc/sysctl.conf set InnoDB flush method to O_DIRECT ...

Subtly Bad Things Linux May Be Doing To PostgreSQL
In addition to talking about PostgreSQL at LSF/MM and Collab , I also learned a few things about the Linux kernel that I had not known before, ...

FastVPS Eesti OU · GitHub
Build software better, together.

Lucene and fadvise/madvise
While indexing, Lucene periodically merges multiple segments in the index into a single larger segment. This keeps the number of segments relatively ...

Disaster: MySQL 5.5 Flushing
We raised topic of problems with flushing in InnoDB several times, some links: InnoDB Flushing theory and solutions MySQL 5.5.8 in search of ...

Wim Coekaerts Blog
Blogs.Oracle.Com - Wim Coekaerts Blog