Re: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production

I know one. I've posted the name privately, as the last time I made the
error of sharing information about a client on this list, a consultant (?)
from this list cold called them.

Nice behaviour.

Pete

sending to informix-list
0
Maelwys

Re: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #2
I know one. I've posted the name privately, as the last time I made the error of sharing information about a client on this list, a consultant (?) from this list cold called them. Nice behaviour. Pete _________________________________________________________________ Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband sending to informix-list sending to informix-list Maelwys Filidh wrote: > I know one. I've posted the name privately, as the last time I made > the error of sharing information about a client on this list, a > consultant (?) from this list cold called them. > > Nice behaviour. Who was that? Try sharing the name of the thief now. ...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production
And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications on linux? Which informix versions, which linux platform? It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am wrong) Mario R. Canto Andrew Hamm wrote: > > Gary Quiring wrote: > > I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on > > Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users > > connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and > > they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more > > stable than Solaris on Sun hardware. I want the real story from shops > > that know.... > > Yes. In a cosmic join to another thread, one of our departments has replaced > dozens of HP's (when their time is due) with Intel Linux boxes, and the > customers couldn't be happier. The department has standardised on RH7 and > lately RH8 but are not yet offering RH9 or the new-fangled RH AS or ES > ports. > > One of their very largest customers is about to move to Intel Linux if I > read the grapevine properly, and that site will exceed the 300 users limit > by a few times, let alone a few dozen -- Ing. Mario R. Canto e-mail: mcanto@4m.com.ar 4M Consultores Informaticos Asociados URL:http://www.4m.com.ar Director - Consultor Senior Tel/Fax:(0342)455-6566 25 de Ma...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #6
I know a few, but they are using Hydra from Querix. On 12 Feb 2004 at 15:16, Mario Canto wrote: > And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications on > linux? > Which informix versions, which linux platform? > It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am > wrong) > > Mario R. Canto > > Andrew Hamm wrote: > > > > Gary Quiring wrote: > > > I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on > > > Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users > > > connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and > > > they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more > > > stable than Solaris on Sun hardware. I want the real story from shops > > > that know.... > > > > Yes. In a cosmic join to another thread, one of our departments has replaced > > dozens of HP's (when their time is due) with Intel Linux boxes, and the > > customers couldn't be happier. The department has standardised on RH7 and > > lately RH8 but are not yet offering RH9 or the new-fangled RH AS or ES > > ports. > > > > One of their very largest customers is about to move to Intel Linux if I > > read the grapevine properly, and that site will exceed the 300 users limit > > by a few times, let alone a few d...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #5
[...]

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #8
Your cat doesn't play the banjo? I guess ours didn't either, she was more interested in the mandolin. We had quite a trio there for a while, the collie on the guitar, the cat on the mandolin and the cattle dog doing vocals, alas the cat has shuffled off this mortal coil. It ain't the same. cheers j. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Hamm" <ahamm@mail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 1:19 AM Subject: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production > Gary Quiring wrote: > > > > There are plenty of Linux/Informix R&D testing shops but how many are > > really being used in production. I see very few posts out here from > > larger shops running on Linux. > > there is also an informix Linux newsgroup, but it's a mailing list only. I > think you should be able to sign up thru the iiug website? > > > The one nice thing about Solaris/Sun is no finger pointing. We have > > forget about arguing with Tim - it's easier to convince a cat to play a > banjo. > > > sending to informix-list sending to informix-list Jack Parker wrote: > Your cat doesn't play the banjo? I guess ours didn't either, she was > more interested in the mandolin. We had quite a trio there for a > while, the collie on the guitar, the cat on the mandolin and the > cattle dog doing vocal...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #4
Andrew Hamm wrote: > > Mario Canto wrote: > > And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications > > on linux? Which informix versions, which linux platform? > > It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am > > wrong) > > ummmmmm - no! All of ours are running FourJs BDL now. Are u having problems > with RDS? Yes. "Segmentation fault" of fglgo, on a ten years running simple query-report program (only when the output is to screen). In the same session (same environment variables, database, termcap, etc.), the compiled (c4gl) version of the program runs ok. More than two years knocking IBM Support doors without results. - -- Ing. Mario R. Canto e-mail: mcanto@4m.com.ar 4M Consultores Informaticos Asociados URL:http://www.4m.com.ar Director - Consultor Senior Tel/Fax:(0342)455-6566 25 de Mayo 2589 - 1ro. "8" Celular:(0342)15-6-311982 Santa Fe - Argentina sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #7
[...]

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #3
Andrew Hamm wrote: > > Mario Canto wrote: > > And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications > > on linux? Which informix versions, which linux platform? > > It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am > > wrong) > > ummmmmm - no! All of ours are running FourJs BDL now. Are u having problems > with RDS? Yes. "Segmentation fault" of fglgo, on a ten years running simple query-report program (only when the output is to screen). In the same session (same environment variables, database, termcap, etc.), the compiled (c4gl) version of the program runs ok. More than two years knocking IBM Support doors without results. - -- Ing. Mario R. Canto e-mail: mcanto@4m.com.ar 4M Consultores Informaticos Asociados URL:http://www.4m.com.ar Director - Consultor Senior Tel/Fax:(0342)455-6566 25 de Mayo 2589 - 1ro. "8" Celular:(0342)15-6-311982 Santa Fe - Argentina sending to informix-list Mario Canto wrote: > > Yes. "Segmentation fault" of fglgo, on a ten years running simple > query-report program (only when the output is to screen). In the same > session (same environment variables, database, termcap, etc.), the > compiled (c4gl) version of the program runs ok. > More than two years knocking IBM Support doors without results. Are you con...

RE: [SPAM] Re: Informix for linux
Because the IIUG server was out due to power from the hurricane that hit the East Coast of the United States The IIUG server is now back up and running At 09:16 PM 5/27/2003 -0400, Rob Vorbroker wrote: >ikke - I'm cc'ing this to the webmaster@iiug.org. >His name is Stuart Litel and once you know him...well. > >Perhaps he can figure out why you haven't recieved a >confirmation email in 3 days. Please remember that >everyone who is on the IIUG BoD or other committees >are volunteers. (: Kinda like IBM/Informix Marketing >I guess. LOL...

Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production
I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more stable than Solaris on Sun hardware. I want the real story from shops that know.... Thanks Gary Quiring Why would you buy Sun hardware or software? "Gary Quiring" <gquiring@msn.com> wrote in message news:ut6j20t3l1r28tq00a2h6j9t63das0qb1l@4ax.com... > I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on > Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users > connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and > they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more > stable than Solaris on Sun hardware. I want the real story from shops > that know.... > > Thanks > Gary Quiring > > Well, we're running multiple data bases with hundreds of users on Sun servers with Solaris 8 -- the data bases, 7.x and 9.x, average from 500G up to a couple terrabytes in size. Things work just fine, thank you very much (and have for years), few problems, easy fixes. Given that IBM is throwing lots of money and expertise -- don't sell them short, but I do wonder if they've actually changed their spots -- at Linux, I'd be inclined to take a hard look ...

Re: Re: PHP and Informix
http://www.lacorona.com.mx/fortiz/informix/index.htm Excelente... Dan como ganas de aprender PHP... ;) Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: "Fernando Ortiz" <fortiz@lacorona.com.mx> To: <tedstrom@gmail.com>, <informix-list@iiug.org> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:31:09 -0500 Subject: Re: PHP and Informix Hi, We've been using Linux/Apache/Informix/PHP for years with no problem. We have RH9 for our web server and RH8 in the IDS/4GL server but RHES AS should work also fine. We're switching moist of our 4GL to PHP and many users are now PHP-only users and some remain using 4GL and PHP side-by-side. Sugestion, use ADODB (http://adodb.sf.net) or any other database abstraction layer to easy migration to any other RDBMS. I'm writing a simple guide for configuring Informix/PHP the page is http://www.lacorona.com.mx/fortiz/informix/index.htm BUT it's only in Spanish by the moment, but if there's some interest I can continue the translation. HTH ----- Original Message ----- From: <tedstrom@gmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 2:01 PM Subject: PHP and Informix > I work for a company that uses Informix as it's primary database > engine. Our Informix installation runs on Red Hat Advanced server. > > We currently use ASP/IIS for our web server software. We are not > satisfied with the ODBC connectivity we are exper...

Re: How to run Informix as a normal/unprivileged "informix" user?
--0-948246894-1193069625=:38731 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If you have a recent version of IDS 10 or higher (10.00.TC5 or later), you = can change the IDS service to start as the local SYSTEM user. Then you can = take informix out of the Administrators group (but leave it in the Informix= -Admin group).=0A=0AGuy=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: "kdobrev@g= mail.com" <kdobrev@gmail.com>=0ATo: informix-list@iiug.org=0ASent: Monday, = October 22, 2007 7:23:08 AM=0ASubject: How to run Informix as a normal/unpr= ivileged "informix" user?=0A=0A=0ABy default the user informix is in the ad= miistrators group, which is a=0Asecurity hole. if somebody compromises the = database he will an=0Aadministrative account for the whole server.=0A=0AMy = question is how do I run Informix IDS (10) when the informix user=0Ais memb= er of the Users group, but not of the Administrators?=0A=0AThanks in advanc= e.=0A=0A_______________________________________________=0AInformix-list mai= ling list=0AInformix-list@iiug.org=0Ahttp://www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/i= nformix-list=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_____________________________________________= _____=0ADo You Yahoo!?=0ATired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam prot= ection around =0Ahttp://mail.yahoo.com --0-948246894-1193069625=:38731 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html><...

Re: Re: Informix in the press...
What? When? I didn't noticed IDS 10 was offered to iiug members! J. -----Original Message----- From: Christine Normile <christine@myinform-me.com> To: doubleecho@your.com Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:37:05 -0500 Subject: Re: Informix in the press... The version of IDS v10 without the timeout was made available to the =20 IIUG exclusively for IIUG members to download. IBM requires that =20 individuals register when they want to download a product. Stuart =20 Litel has refused to make the non-timelimited code available because =20 of this IBM restriction (even though IBM was willing to provide the =20 hosting service.) It's interesting that you say you have trial code for DB2 that is non-=20 limited. Could you please provide the link where you obtained it? On Aug 18, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Double Echo wrote: > eric@herber-consulting.de wrote: >> Sometimes wonders take a little bit longer: >> >> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=3D154242 >> >> A press release from IBM mentioning Informix. Great !! >> > > Excellent! > > Now, how about taking the 90-day timeout feature out of the > download for > Informix. I'm excited about Informix, interested in the product, > so I go > to download it like DB2. > > I noticed DB2 does not have the 90-day timeout. I want the full > download > for Informix just like DB2, no timeout,...

Re: Re: Re:
>From: David Elliott <elliott@stcnet.com> >To: "Yue Huang" <yue31@hotmail.com> >Subject: Re: Re: Re: >Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:29:13 -0500 > >On Dec 9, 2003, at 10:41 PM, Yue Huang wrote: > >> >>----- Original Message ----- >>From: "David Elliott" <elliott@stcnet.com> >>Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.wxwindows >>Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 12:44 AM >>Subject: Re: >> >> >>>You'll notice the code in that wxMac method sets the >>>kFloatingWindowClass Mac...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

Re: Re: Newbie to informix
.... I thin you speak spanish so ... Para manejar IDS: ISA, es un front end Web para ver y manejar el estado de la base de datos... aunque a la larga es, a mi modo de ver, las utilidades de linea de comandos. Si sos el DBA, vale la pena dedicarle el tiempo a aprender estos comandos por que podr�s hacer las cosas muy r�pido adem�s las prodr�s automatizar. En cuanto a una herramienta para los querys: La verdad pienso que dbaccess es muy limitado... tiene sus facilidades a mi parecer no me gusta. En el dia a dia uso winsql-lite, aunque tambipen hay uno mexicano y uno ruso; buscalos en iiuug a ver que tal te parecen. J. -----Original Message----- From: Victor Espina <vespinas@cantv.net> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 07:09:20 -0400 Subject: Re: Newbie to informix I tried again after had been read your post and connect after a couple of messages. What seemed to work was test the connection directly from ODBC DSN configuration dialog before attempting to connect from VFP. Thanks any way for your answer. Do you know any tool to manage my IDS server? or a tool to run querys against the database? Regards Victor Espina Jean Sagi wrote: > I also installed the same version, and succesfully connected from an > ODBC source. > > Do you installed CDSK 2.9? > > How looks you conn string? > > Have you used DBPing? It is not bundled in 2.9 (at leat in mine not) but > you can downl...

Re: How to run Informix as a normal/unprivileged "informix" user? #2
--0-1804522149-1193257177=:47469 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable > Making the IDS start with SYSTEM account is even worse than starting it w= ith as an administrator of the system=0A=0AWhy is it worse? =0A=0ASYSTEM is= not a real user. Many server programs choose to run their services as SYST= EM for security purposes so the real users can be taken out of Administrato= rs group. Can you elaborate on your specific concerns about running IDS as = SYSTEM user.=0A=0AGuy=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: "kdobrev@= gmail.com" <kdobrev@gmail.com>=0ATo: informix-list@iiug.org=0ASent: Wednesd= ay, October 24, 2007 2:07:11 AM=0ASubject: Re: How to run Informix as a nor= mal/unprivileged "informix" user?=0A=0A=0AI'm using Windows Server 2003 Sta= ndart. I have tried to make Informix=0Amember of Users instead of member of= Administrators, but a user cannot=0Astart services. I have given the right= to login as service, but still=0Ano luck. Making the IDS start with SYSTEM= account is even worse than=0Astarting it with as an administrator of the s= ystem.=0A=0AAny other suggestions?=0A=0A___________________________________= ____________=0AInformix-list mailing list=0AInformix-list@iiug.org=0Ahttp:/= /www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/informix-list=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_____________= _____________________________________=0ADo You Yahoo!?=0ATired of spam? Ya= hoo! Mail has th...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have to have an Informix Database? I have been using informix 4gl for 20 years. I have downloaded every 4gl compiler I can find and all require an informix database. I guess this means I stay married to Informix forever if I want to stay with 4gl. Is there anything else in 4gl OTHER THAN INFORMIX? (Especially something that will create its own database) ShearPower4gl is not 4gl! sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix for Linux
--0__=09BBE58CDF951A578f9e8a93df938690918c09BBE58CDF951A57 Content-type: multipart/alternative; Boundary="1__=09BBE58CDF951A578f9e8a93df938690918c09BBE58CDF951A57" --1__=09BBE58CDF951A578f9e8a93df938690918c09BBE58CDF951A57 Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable Timebomb feature (152010) is present in 9.40.UC5 (also in 9.5). But you= might need to wait till it becomes available. Thanks and Regards, Gaurav = "Neil Truby" = <neil.truby@arden = ta.com> = To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org = owner-informix-li = cc st@iiug.org = Subj= ect Re: Informix for Linux = 09/29/2004 02:27 = AM = = ...

Re: Re: Migrate from Informix to Mysql
You could use dbexport wich generates the schema and unload the tables automatically. J. -----Original Message----- From: Thomas Ronayne <trona@REMOVETHISameritech.net> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:59:33 GMT Subject: Re: Migrate from Informix to Mysql 1. Get a schema; e.g., dbschema dbname dbname.sql 2. Unload all the tables; e.g., echo "unload to table.unl select * from table" | dbaccess dbname 3. Start MySQL, create the data base, grant permissions, all that stuff, then exit MySQL. 4. mysql < dbname.sql 5. Fix all the stuff in the schema file that it chokes on, repeat (4) until you get a data base. 6. Load the .unl files with mysqlimport. Depending on your data base, this may be (a) trivial or (b) a real pain in the butt -- good luck! Hint: if your Informix data base is ANSI, you'll have an easier time (think about converting it to ANSI). Cyrille wrote: >I would like to know how to migrate a informix databas to Mysql. >I wish to know if someone knows any way to do this. >I don't want to use a commercial solution. > >Thanx. > > > Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@gmail.com sending to informix-list ...

Re: Re: Migrating Informix to PostgreSQL
;) -----Original Message----- From: "Neil Truby" <neil.truby@ardenta.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:45:17 +0100 Subject: Re: Migrating Informix to PostgreSQL "Victor Dario Martinez" <dmartinez@siu.edu.ar> wrote in message news:cjhie1$da6$1@news.xmission.com... > > Hi !. I need info about cases or tools of migrating Infomix to PostgreSQL. > > Any info will very very important . > > Thanks !! > > sending to informix-list http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@yahoo.com sending to informix-list ...

Web resources about - Re: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production - comp.databases.informix

Video production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Video production is videography , the process of capturing moving images on electronic media (e.g., video tape , direct to disk recording , or ...

BHP's deadly dam collapse linked to ramping up production
Testing reveals high levels of arsenic and lead in the river system after the collapse of a dam at a BHP joint-owned iron ore mine in Brazil. ...

Toyota C-HR stays sharp from prototype to production
Filed under: 2016 Geneva Motor Show , Scion , Toyota , Crossover , Budget The new C-HR marks Toyota's entry into the ultra-competitive sub-compact ...

Mercedes Boots Robots From the Production Line
Mercedes-Benz offers the S-Class sedan with a growing array of options such as carbon-fiber trim, heated and cooled cupholders and four types ...

Dexter Fowler's re-introduction to Cubs an elaborate production
Theo Epstein has some Hollywood in his blood.

SunEdison Partnering With Jinergy For 1.5 GW Integrated N-type Heterojunction Solar Cell Production Facility ...
... Technology Company, are partnering for the creation of a 1.5 gigawatt integrated N-type mono-crystalline hetero-junction solar cell production ...

Mexico on oil: Cut production, get help
Mexico will cut costs while also seeking foreign investors to fund drilling projects.

Apple’s top chipmaker will double production ahead of iPhone 7
For all the talk of slowing iPhone sales, you wouldn’t get that impression from the manufacturer set to build Apple’s A10 chips for the upcoming ...

Saudi Arabia Just Shattered OPEC, Won’t Reduce Oil Production
Saudi Arabia Just Shattered OPEC, Won’t Reduce Oil Production

ITV Posts $1.25B 2015 Profit; Boss Adam Crozier Touts Production Biz Growth
... with double digit profit growth. Overall revenues were up 15% to £2.97B ($4.14B) with pre-tax earnings up 18% to £865M ($1.25B). The production ...