Re: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #2

I know one. I've posted the name privately, as the last time I made the
error of sharing information about a client on this list, a consultant (?)
from this list cold called them.

Nice behaviour.

Pete

sending to informix-list

sending to informix-list
0
Maelwys

Maelwys Filidh wrote:
> I know one. I've posted the name privately, as the last time I made
> the error of sharing information about a client on this list, a
> consultant (?) from this list cold called them.
>
> Nice behaviour.

Who was that? Try sharing the name of the thief now.

0
Andrew

Re: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production
I know one. I've posted the name privately, as the last time I made the error of sharing information about a client on this list, a consultant (?) from this list cold called them. Nice behaviour. Pete _________________________________________________________________ Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #2
And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications on linux? Which informix versions, which linux platform? It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am wrong) Mario R. Canto Andrew Hamm wrote: > > Gary Quiring wrote: > > I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on > > Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users > > connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and > > they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more > > stable than Solaris on Sun hardware. I want the real story from shops > > that know.... > > Yes. In a cosmic join to another thread, one of our departments has replaced > dozens of HP's (when their time is due) with Intel Linux boxes, and the > customers couldn't be happier. The department has standardised on RH7 and > lately RH8 but are not yet offering RH9 or the new-fangled RH AS or ES > ports. > > One of their very largest customers is about to move to Intel Linux if I > read the grapevine properly, and that site will exceed the 300 users limit > by a few times, let alone a few dozen -- Ing. Mario R. Canto e-mail: mcanto@4m.com.ar 4M Consultores Informaticos Asociados URL:http://www.4m.com.ar Director - Consultor Senior Tel/Fax:(0342)455-6566 25 de Ma...

[...]

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #3
Andrew Hamm wrote: > > Mario Canto wrote: > > And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications > > on linux? Which informix versions, which linux platform? > > It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am > > wrong) > > ummmmmm - no! All of ours are running FourJs BDL now. Are u having problems > with RDS? Yes. "Segmentation fault" of fglgo, on a ten years running simple query-report program (only when the output is to screen). In the same session (same environment variables, database, termcap, etc.), the compiled (c4gl) version of the program runs ok. More than two years knocking IBM Support doors without results. - -- Ing. Mario R. Canto e-mail: mcanto@4m.com.ar 4M Consultores Informaticos Asociados URL:http://www.4m.com.ar Director - Consultor Senior Tel/Fax:(0342)455-6566 25 de Mayo 2589 - 1ro. "8" Celular:(0342)15-6-311982 Santa Fe - Argentina sending to informix-list Mario Canto wrote: > > Yes. "Segmentation fault" of fglgo, on a ten years running simple > query-report program (only when the output is to screen). In the same > session (same environment variables, database, termcap, etc.), the > compiled (c4gl) version of the program runs ok. > More than two years knocking IBM Support doors without results. Are you con...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #6
I know a few, but they are using Hydra from Querix. On 12 Feb 2004 at 15:16, Mario Canto wrote: > And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications on > linux? > Which informix versions, which linux platform? > It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am > wrong) > > Mario R. Canto > > Andrew Hamm wrote: > > > > Gary Quiring wrote: > > > I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on > > > Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users > > > connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and > > > they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more > > > stable than Solaris on Sun hardware. I want the real story from shops > > > that know.... > > > > Yes. In a cosmic join to another thread, one of our departments has replaced > > dozens of HP's (when their time is due) with Intel Linux boxes, and the > > customers couldn't be happier. The department has standardised on RH7 and > > lately RH8 but are not yet offering RH9 or the new-fangled RH AS or ES > > ports. > > > > One of their very largest customers is about to move to Intel Linux if I > > read the grapevine properly, and that site will exceed the 300 users limit > > by a few times, let alone a few d...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #8
Your cat doesn't play the banjo? I guess ours didn't either, she was more interested in the mandolin. We had quite a trio there for a while, the collie on the guitar, the cat on the mandolin and the cattle dog doing vocals, alas the cat has shuffled off this mortal coil. It ain't the same. cheers j. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Hamm" <ahamm@mail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 1:19 AM Subject: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production > Gary Quiring wrote: > > > > There are plenty of Linux/Informix R&D testing shops but how many are > > really being used in production. I see very few posts out here from > > larger shops running on Linux. > > there is also an informix Linux newsgroup, but it's a mailing list only. I > think you should be able to sign up thru the iiug website? > > > The one nice thing about Solaris/Sun is no finger pointing. We have > > forget about arguing with Tim - it's easier to convince a cat to play a > banjo. > > > sending to informix-list sending to informix-list Jack Parker wrote: > Your cat doesn't play the banjo? I guess ours didn't either, she was > more interested in the mandolin. We had quite a trio there for a > while, the collie on the guitar, the cat on the mandolin and the > cattle dog doing vocal...

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #5
[...]

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #7
[...]

Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #4
Andrew Hamm wrote: > > Mario Canto wrote: > > And... are there any linux-informix shop runing 4GL RDS applications > > on linux? Which informix versions, which linux platform? > > It seems to me that the answer to this question is NULL. (I hope I am > > wrong) > > ummmmmm - no! All of ours are running FourJs BDL now. Are u having problems > with RDS? Yes. "Segmentation fault" of fglgo, on a ten years running simple query-report program (only when the output is to screen). In the same session (same environment variables, database, termcap, etc.), the compiled (c4gl) version of the program runs ok. More than two years knocking IBM Support doors without results. - -- Ing. Mario R. Canto e-mail: mcanto@4m.com.ar 4M Consultores Informaticos Asociados URL:http://www.4m.com.ar Director - Consultor Senior Tel/Fax:(0342)455-6566 25 de Mayo 2589 - 1ro. "8" Celular:(0342)15-6-311982 Santa Fe - Argentina sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

Re: How to run Informix as a normal/unprivileged "informix" user? #2
--0-1804522149-1193257177=:47469 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable > Making the IDS start with SYSTEM account is even worse than starting it w= ith as an administrator of the system=0A=0AWhy is it worse? =0A=0ASYSTEM is= not a real user. Many server programs choose to run their services as SYST= EM for security purposes so the real users can be taken out of Administrato= rs group. Can you elaborate on your specific concerns about running IDS as = SYSTEM user.=0A=0AGuy=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: "kdobrev@= gmail.com" <kdobrev@gmail.com>=0ATo: informix-list@iiug.org=0ASent: Wednesd= ay, October 24, 2007 2:07:11 AM=0ASubject: Re: How to run Informix as a nor= mal/unprivileged "informix" user?=0A=0A=0AI'm using Windows Server 2003 Sta= ndart. I have tried to make Informix=0Amember of Users instead of member of= Administrators, but a user cannot=0Astart services. I have given the right= to login as service, but still=0Ano luck. Making the IDS start with SYSTEM= account is even worse than=0Astarting it with as an administrator of the s= ystem.=0A=0AAny other suggestions?=0A=0A___________________________________= ____________=0AInformix-list mailing list=0AInformix-list@iiug.org=0Ahttp:/= /www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/informix-list=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_____________= _____________________________________=0ADo You Yahoo!?=0ATired of spam? Ya= hoo! Mail has th...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Re: Informix in the press... #2
YES! YES!, I'm with you !! Free IDS 10 express download without bombs !!. This allowed me to study, learn and program for IDS. J. -----Original Message----- From: "Roy Mercer" <roy.mercer@gmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: 18 Aug 2006 08:51:47 -0700 Subject: Re: Informix in the press... Are you kidding me! http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/db2express/ DUH! It's free to download and run in production! This was my complaint at the Tampa conference, why does IBM let you download and run DB2 in production but not IDS! IDS Express needs to be offered as a free download just like DB2 express. You work for IBM? WTF! Christine Normile wrote: > The version of IDS v10 without the timeout was made available to the > IIUG exclusively for IIUG members to download. IBM requires that > individuals register when they want to download a product. Stuart > Litel has refused to make the non-timelimited code available because > of this IBM restriction (even though IBM was willing to provide the > hosting service.) > > It's interesting that you say you have trial code for DB2 that is non- > limited. Could you please provide the link where you obtained it? > > On Aug 18, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Double Echo wrote: > > > eric@herber-consulting.de wrote: > >> Sometimes wonders take a little bit longer: > >> > >> http://ww...

RE: [SPAM] Re: Informix for linux
Because the IIUG server was out due to power from the hurricane that hit the East Coast of the United States The IIUG server is now back up and running At 09:16 PM 5/27/2003 -0400, Rob Vorbroker wrote: >ikke - I'm cc'ing this to the webmaster@iiug.org. >His name is Stuart Litel and once you know him...well. > >Perhaps he can figure out why you haven't recieved a >confirmation email in 3 days. Please remember that >everyone who is on the IIUG BoD or other committees >are volunteers. (: Kinda like IBM/Informix Marketing >I guess. LOL...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #2
Christian Knappke wrote > > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote: > > > Here is one I prepared earlier --- > > > > onbar/ontape whatever .. > > FORCEOL=n > > until onstat - | grep "On-Line" > /dev/null > > do > > echo "Off line" # ; sleep 20 > > onstat - | grep "[BQ][lu][oi][ce][ks]" > /dev/null && ( echo > > "\nServ blokd" > > if [ x$FORCEOL = "xn" ] ; then > > echo "On...

RE: re[2]: Informix to Oracle Migration
sorry - not for odbc yet,we're getting 1.0 out first. Once that�s done an esql compiler (probably based on ecpg [the postgres esqlc compiler which we've helped become informix compatible already ]) will be on our todo list.... However - I was just answering the original question.... Perhaps you could help him with his licensing issues ;-) (I doubt he'll have any with aubit4gl!) -----Original Message----- From: "Hubert Hoelzl"<h.hoelzl@querix.com> Has Aubit now got an Esql/C compiler ? >If anybody has any info about any other such tool which can compile >Informix4gl code communicating with Oracle database, please reply to >my ID. sending to informix-list ...

Re: Re: Migrate from Informix to Mysql #2
Man, then you are out of luck by yourself. You need to consider: Have to pay: - 4js - Queryx Free: - Aubit 4gl (I didn't remember if it supports Mousql). J. -----Original Message----- From: "Cyrille" <cyrshot@aol.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: 16 Jun 2005 06:20:40 -0700 Subject: Re: Migrate from Informix to Mysql Thank you very much for your answer. But my principal problem is not really here. Sorry, I haven't say all. We have an application which manage this database. This application is written in Informix 4GL, and Centura. Consequently, I must find a way to use the Informix4GL programms with the mysql database. Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@gmail.com sending to informix-list ...

RE: RE: Informix and SQL Server #2
Or you create sql/program on the informix side, dump it to filesystem. Then use DTS in sqlserver to FTP the file from informix server to sqlserver server (or somewhere sqlserver can pick it up)... And either transform the data on the way in from the flat file, or load the flat file to a "work-in-progress" table in sqlserver, then DTS/massage that working table into what you need... Not exactly a straight hook, but sometimes straight isn't the cat's meow either ;) -----Original Message----- From: Jean Sagi [mailto:jeansagi@myrealbox.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:05 PM To: Sebastian, Norma J. Cc: spinto@cap.org; wweaver@amicus.com; informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: RE: Informix and SQL Server Interesting. I saw the linked servers stuff and tried to add a new one. It seems that it could only be implemented with OLEBD and ADO. I mean I didn't see any options for an odbc data source. The only Informix providers I see are: - IBM Informix OLE DB Provider - Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (this one?) - Sybase Informix ADO Provider (I have Power Builder) Really a mini-guide on how to do this would be very helpfull. I have situations that I'm restricted to DTS or similar tools to join information from sql-server and IDS. J. -----Original Message----- From: "Sebastian, Norma J." <NormaJean.Sebastian@tellabs.com> To: "Savio Pint...

Re: Re: Migrating Informix to PostgreSQL #2
;) ;) -----Original Message----- From: "My Name Is Bruce and I'm A Sock Puppet" <godzone@downundah.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:54:28 +0100 Subject: Re: Migrating Informix to PostgreSQL Victor Dario Martinez wrote: > > Hi !. I need info about cases or tools of migrating Infomix to PostgreSQL. > > Any info will very very important . > > Thanks !! http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries/Argentina/Business_and_Economy Shopping_and_Services/Employment/ -- Strewth! Stick a sock in it, Sheila! Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@yahoo.com sending to informix-list ...

Re: Running Informix on 2 different Servers in parrallel #2
Hopalong said: > Hi, everybody. Got a question for the experts. Well, I'll have a go anyway. > I have a client who runs Informix Dynamic Server 7.20 UC3 on a SCO > Unixware 7.01 box and has done for 5+ years. > > We had a disaster recovery PC of identical configuration which was > tested regularly to see if the customer's ontape backups could be > restored. > > Unfortunately the motherboard on this PC has failed and a repair would > be prohibitive, so we are looking at upgrading the disaster PC. > Unfortunately our research has found out that Unixware 7.01 is not > compatible with modern hardware and never will be as SCO no longer > support it. Herefore we must upgrade software too. > > My question is thus, what parameters are important in being able to > restore ontapes. Could we change to MS Windows 2000 Server and still be > able to restore? Could we change from using RAW DISK SPACE to > filesystems? Is just the onconfig file important or are other > parameters used? You are not guaranteed being able to restore on any other OS than Unixware. Windows is extremely unlikely to work. Raw to cooked will work, but why do you want to do that? Performance will suck. The onconfig and environment variables are both important. > Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks. Go onto ebay and buy an old PC, use that to get your data off, then migrate to a new linux box. Good lu...

Re: Re
Data Goob said: > 14 hours? 3 hours? > > I can achieve better without the CopperEye. > > ;-) > > Even on one server, and better yet, I know we did this test > on a single 1-cpu box and did our largest load in 39 minutes. Yeah, well, it's pretty specious without a like-for-like comparison. When I was running RBW on my home PC, I could load 122M records (and index them) in about 2 hours. I'm running an Athlon 1.3GHz thing that I cobbled together myself (512MB RAM, single IDE drive). How does that compare to yours? -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html sending to informix-list "Obnoxio The Clown" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:cbcito$mpv$1@news.xmission.com... > > > Data Goob said: > > 14 hours? 3 hours? > > > > I can achieve better without the CopperEye. > > > > ;-) > > > > Even on one server, and better yet, I know we did this test > > on a single 1-cpu box and did our largest load in 39 minutes. > > Yeah, well, it's pretty specious without a like-for-like comparison. When > I wa...

Re: Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle? #2
Hey, hey, hey!! It works... ! Now there is something new I know... Chucho -----Original Message----- From: "Brian Foster" <bc_foster@hotmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:16:13 -0500 Subject: Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle? you can select null, you just need to give your column a datatype. i.e. select null::integer from sometable; -Brian select case when 1=2 then 1 else null end::integer null_value from table(set{1}) Jean Sagi wrote in message ... > >I read all you post and it was ver...

Re: Re: Informix in the news! Part Deux... #2
I wonder if someone at IBM-Informix have had this thoughts... at least. It would be awesome if it happen, but even now I don't see it how. Maybe IDS will need to come to a point like derby for this to happen, whichever what it was. Maybe IDS will need to come to a point like derby for this to happen, whichever the reasons had been. -----Original Message----- From: Double Echo <doubleecho@your.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:15:07 -0500 Subject: Re: Informix in the news! Part Deux... Christine Normile wrote: > We cannot guarantee what other vendors will do. However, we are closely > engaged with the vendors mentioned below as well as many others. While we > continue to work with these vendors to ensure support of IDS, we need our > install base to influence the other vendors they purchase from just as you > have influenced IBM. Oracle is currently working on certifying IDS v9.40 > with PeopleSoft and we are asking for certification on v10.0. Baan is in > the process of certifying v10.0 and we are currently working on a strategic > initiative with Baan. We continue to work with SAP and will keep you > posted on changes. > > Users communicating with their vendors has the most significant impact on > vendor behavior. I would like to thank each and every customer and > business partner that helped to change IBM's strategy with Informix and I > would ask tha...

Re: Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? #2
I'll bet Informix tool get revamped... (or DB2 ones...?) Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: "Neil Truby" <neil.truby@ardenta.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 00:17:39 +0100 Subject: Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? "Marco Greco" <marco@4glworks.com> wrote in message news:ch6rjd$feq$1@news.xmission.com... > > Not to blow my own trumpet, but if you want a dbaccess like tool with cursor > control, placeholders, variables, hashes, control statements, input and output > streams, interaction with the OS, 4gl & c formatting, API for external > functions, ability to access multiple vendors database engines at the same > time and a host of other goodies, you might want to have a look at my SQSL > language, at > > http://www.4glworks.com/4wrcsqll.htm#FGWLANGREF > > It currently sports a curses (4GL) interface - cli and X interface are in the > pipeline and will be out one of these years, depending on my mood^H^H^H^H schedule list Bloody hell, Marco. Maybe you should try to get a job with IBM ..... Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@yahoo.com sending to informix-list ...

Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production
I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more stable than Solaris on Sun hardware. I want the real story from shops that know.... Thanks Gary Quiring Why would you buy Sun hardware or software? "Gary Quiring" <gquiring@msn.com> wrote in message news:ut6j20t3l1r28tq00a2h6j9t63das0qb1l@4ax.com... > I would like to know if we have any shops out here running IDS 9.x on > Linux in a production environment where you have at least 300+ users > connected at one time. We had a visit from our Informix var today and > they are trying to convince me that Linux on IBM hardware is more > stable than Solaris on Sun hardware. I want the real story from shops > that know.... > > Thanks > Gary Quiring > > Well, we're running multiple data bases with hundreds of users on Sun servers with Solaris 8 -- the data bases, 7.x and 9.x, average from 500G up to a couple terrabytes in size. Things work just fine, thank you very much (and have for years), few problems, easy fixes. Given that IBM is throwing lots of money and expertise -- don't sell them short, but I do wonder if they've actually changed their spots -- at Linux, I'd be inclined to take a hard look ...

Web resources about - Re: Re: Informix and Linux opinions/who is running production #2 - comp.databases.informix

Video production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Video production is videography , the process of capturing moving images on electronic media (e.g., video tape , direct to disk recording , or ...

BHP's deadly dam collapse linked to ramping up production
Testing reveals high levels of arsenic and lead in the river system after the collapse of a dam at a BHP joint-owned iron ore mine in Brazil. ...

Toyota C-HR stays sharp from prototype to production
Filed under: 2016 Geneva Motor Show , Scion , Toyota , Crossover , Budget The new C-HR marks Toyota's entry into the ultra-competitive sub-compact ...

Mercedes Boots Robots From the Production Line
Mercedes-Benz offers the S-Class sedan with a growing array of options such as carbon-fiber trim, heated and cooled cupholders and four types ...

Dexter Fowler's re-introduction to Cubs an elaborate production
Theo Epstein has some Hollywood in his blood.

SunEdison Partnering With Jinergy For 1.5 GW Integrated N-type Heterojunction Solar Cell Production Facility ...
... Technology Company, are partnering for the creation of a 1.5 gigawatt integrated N-type mono-crystalline hetero-junction solar cell production ...

Mexico on oil: Cut production, get help
Mexico will cut costs while also seeking foreign investors to fund drilling projects.

Apple’s top chipmaker will double production ahead of iPhone 7
For all the talk of slowing iPhone sales, you wouldn’t get that impression from the manufacturer set to build Apple’s A10 chips for the upcoming ...

Saudi Arabia Just Shattered OPEC, Won’t Reduce Oil Production
Saudi Arabia Just Shattered OPEC, Won’t Reduce Oil Production

ITV Posts $1.25B 2015 Profit; Boss Adam Crozier Touts Production Biz Growth
... with double digit profit growth. Overall revenues were up 15% to £2.97B ($4.14B) with pre-tax earnings up 18% to £865M ($1.25B). The production ...