From: "Andrew Hamm" <ahamm@mail.com>
To: informix-list@iiug.org
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:30:11 +1000
Subject: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix

Jean Sagi wrote:
> (This isn't rant too)
>
> Try DB2... for what I see in the long term (2010+) Db2 and Informix
> will be the same, so some studyng of DB2 won't hurt.

although the downside to studying DB2 now if you don't need to, may be
obsolete in the future if they fullfill a lot of the promise: to "add
Informix simplicity" to DB2. They acknowledge that IDS is very easy to
manage and have promised to make DB2 approach that simplicity.

So who knows how much arcane DB2 knowledge will become obsolete in the
next few years.

Jean Sagi
jeansagi@myrealbox.com
jeansagi@yahoo.com

sending to informix-list
0
Jean

Re: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix
-----Original Message----- From: "Captain Pedantic" <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:40:57 +0100 Subject: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix "Jim Jordan" <wjjordan@nortel.ca> wrote in message news:cierhv$3vj$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com... > In article <2r04ibF14f12eU1@uni-berlin.de>, > Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > >I've seen evidence recently, such as the ICON programme, that IBM are trying > >to do more with Informix, and have heard that the message to the direct > >sales team is no longer "lead with DB2". As an IBM reseller I have never > >received any such instruction to favour DB2 over Informix anyway, and so > >have not received contrary instructions either. > Informix, years ago ;) Chucho! > Our account team (Canadian OEM) has indicated that they plan on leading > with Informix for OEM applications, because it's so easy to drop into a > turnkey system. IBM was surprised by the loyalty of the Informix user > base, and they are starting to realise that Informix was really a > well-hidden gem. And who hid it? Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@yahoo.com sending to informix-list ...

Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #2
Jim Jordan wrote: >...IBM was surprised by the loyalty of the Informix user > base, and they are starting to realise that Informix was really a > well-hidden gem. It is. sending to informix-list ...

Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix
(This isn't rant too) Try DB2... for what I see in the long term (2010+) Db2 and Informix will be the same, so some studyng of DB2 won't hurt. You can get a free DVD with DB2 8.1 for linux or windows. Integration with websphere is another must to learn, DB2/Informix; you can get information on both in developerWorks. I think this might have you busy for some time... the is this can pay your bills... Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: vavavoom_th14@yahoo.co.uk (Traveller2003) To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: 17 Sep 2004 04:05:07 -0700 Subject: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix Hi All , Does anyone know if IBM is planning on actively selling Informix? Reason I ask is seems like the job market in the UK for Informix is dying out and as much as I am a committed die hard Informixer I need to pay the bills. To boot seems businesses migrate to Oracle/MSSQL if given a chance. This is not a rant mail just need to find out what plans IBM have for Informix past 2010 date currently mentioned (that's the date I have heard so far). Any feed back would be good especially from the IBMers. TIA Traveller Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@yahoo.com sending to informix-list Jean Sagi wrote: > (This isn't rant too) > > Try DB2... for what I see in the long term (2010+) Db2 and Informix > will be the same, so some studyng of DB2 won't hurt. although the downside to studying D...

Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #6
Captain Pedantic said: > "Jim Jordan" <wjjordan@nortel.ca> wrote in message > news:cin371$2lv$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com... >> In article <2r10d8F14mpqtU1@uni-berlin.de>, >> Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36@hotmail.com> wrote: >> >> And for John's question: IBM is like a cat. You can't tell it >> anything. It has to discover things by itself. How long it takes to >> learn something is entirely up to the cat. > > Yes, a very fat, very lazy old cat. Only without the same get-up-and-go > nature. ....slightly saggy, and baggy round the seams. But Emily loved him. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html sending to informix-list ...

RE: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #4
I recently attend another InfoBahn session, with speakers from Informix (IBM), and it was exciting to hear that Informix was given a higher priority, that the support for 7 was extented another 6 years, that 9.5 is being released, 9.6 is being developed, and 9.7 is being planned. Lots of exciting stuff. And IBM has also realised that merging Informix and DB2 might not be that realistic, so there is a chance that Informix might stay a database on it's own, instead of being merged in the long run. Dirk -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jesus Antonio Santos Giraldo Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 8:33 PM To: wjjordan@nortelnetworks.com Cc: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix Jim Jordan wrote: >...IBM was surprised by the loyalty of the Informix user > base, and they are starting to realise that Informix was really a > well-hidden gem. It is. sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #5
I believe that the IIUG did a survey that showed just this FACT within weeks of the IBM buyout announcement. Hopefully someone at IBM read the results of that survey. Rob Vorbroker Former IIUG BoD Member --- John Carlson <jwcarlson1@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote: > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:15:27 +0000 (UTC), > wjjordan@nortel.ca (Jim > Jordan) wrote: > > >In article <2r04ibF14f12eU1@uni-berlin.de>, > >Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > >>I've seen evidence recently, such as the ICON > programme, that IBM are trying > >>to do more with Informix, and have heard that the > message to the direct > >>sales team is no longer "lead with DB2". As an > IBM reseller I have never > >>received any such instruction to favour DB2 over > Informix anyway, and so > >>have not received contrary instructions either. > > > >Our account team (Canadian OEM) has indicated that > they plan on leading > >with Informix for OEM applications, because it's so > easy to drop into a > >turnkey system. IBM was surprised by the loyalty > of the Informix user > >base, and they are starting to realise that > Informix was really a > >well-hidden gem. > > > > And it took how long to find out? > > JWC > ===== Rob Vorbroker Phone: 513/336-8...

Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #3
Data Goob said: > Well tie me kangaroo down sport! My boomarang won't back! Your boomerang won't what? > A lot of you cobbers are in denoil bu don warry once you get > past that and some angah, yool be on Dee-Bee-too in no tyme mate. Yeah, we're in "den oil". Definitely. (It's like baby oil, but with extra slipperiness.) Plays merry hell with the sheets, but you only live once. I think you need to slow down on the KoolAid, mate, it seems to be affecting you quite severely. > 'scuse me now whilst I go take cah of that crock takin a bite > outta my dog. As long as it's not your kid... :o) -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html sending to informix-list Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Data Goob said: > >>Well tie me kangaroo down sport! My boomarang won't back! > > > Your boomerang won't what? > Er, sorry mate, i meant to say "my boomerang won't come back!" ...

Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #7
Rob Vorbroker wrote: > I believe that the IIUG did a survey that showed just > this FACT within weeks of the IBM buyout announcement. > Hopefully someone at IBM read the results of that > survey. So only sat in their in-tray for 3 years then. :-O Cheers, -- Mark. +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+ | Mark D. Stock mailto:mdstock@MydasSolutions.com |//////// /| | http://MydasSolutions.com |///// / //| | +-----------------------------------+//// / ///| | |We value your comments, which have |/// / ////| | |been recorded and automatically |// / /////| | |emailed back to us for our records.|/ ////////| +----------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------+ sending to informix-list "Mark D. Stock" <mdstock@MydasSolutions.com> wrote in message news:ciqg1n$61s$1@news.xmission.com... > > Rob Vorbroker wrote: > > I believe that the IIUG did a survey that showed just > > this FACT within weeks of the IBM buyout announcement. > > Hopefully someone at IBM read the results of that > > survey. > > So only sat in their in-tray for 3 years then. :-O Now you're just being faceitious. What actually happened was that the survey was sent to the External Affiars Executive (Americas) who passed a copy...

Re: OT:Is IBM going to be marketing Informix #8
I can't speak for the civilized world but here in the states 'movement' has at least two meanings. Rob :-P --- Data Goob <datagoob@hotmail.com> wrote: > Well at least they were moving on it. > > :o) > > > > Captain Pedantic wrote: > > "Mark D. Stock" <mdstock@MydasSolutions.com> wrote > in message > > news:ciqg1n$61s$1@news.xmission.com... > > > >>Rob Vorbroker wrote: > >> > >>>I believe that the IIUG did a survey that showed > just > >>>this FACT within weeks of the IBM buyout > announcement. > >>> Hopefully someone at IBM read the results of > that > >>>survey. > >> > >>So only sat in their in-tray for 3 years then. :-O > > > > > > Now you're just being faceitious. What actually > happened was that the > > survey was sent to the External Affiars Executive > (Americas) who passed a > > copy on to the VP of Data Marketing (Americas) > but, also, because she had a > > dotted line to him, the WorldwideChannel manager > (Data). He decided to pass > > it on by completing in triplicate the Market > Intelligence Programme > > Dissemination form, but the intranet form could > not be completed as it > > couldn't be identified how the Internal/External > box should be completed. &g...

Re: Re: OT
Jean Sagi said: > > Ummm... I read > http://www.coppereye.com/coppereye_datablade.htm > and it looks very interesting, indeed. > > I think this could be done only thanks to the datablade architecture of > Informix... > > This could be done with DB2? > > Or Oracle/Sql-Server? ... ;) As far as I know, they punt their technology as an alternative to RDBMSs, but yes, I think this is a classic example of how easy it can be to extend IDS. Still, at least DB2 only has a single code base. And Oracle wears army boots! -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html sending to informix-list "Obnoxio The Clown" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:cbaefd$1rc$1@news.xmission.com... > Jean Sagi said: > > > > Ummm... I read > > http://www.coppereye.com/coppereye_datablade.htm > > and it looks very interesting, indeed. > > > > I think this could be done only thanks to the datablade architecture of > > Informix... > > > > This could be done with DB2? > > > > Or Oracle/Sql-Server? ... ;) > > As far as I know, they punt ...

Re: 2xSMP vs RAC for failover
DA Morgan said: > > Serge Rielau wrote: > >> Duly noted. Thoughts for the road: If you use a 2 node cluster and one >> goes down you're dead unless you kept load very low when the RAC system >> is up. That is the 2 node RAC cluster competes with a 2x4 SMP box which >> of course will price hardware wise the same (minus the 2 switches + >> disk). You did not price out the equivalent dataguard solution, btw. >> >> Cheers and bye >> Serge > > And Obnoxio's objection duly noted here so one closing thought and I too > end the thread. > > That quick comment being that you just build in one extra node so if > one burns itself to the ground ... you still have what you need. And > given the low cost of an extra node (a few thousands dollars): Who cares. Yes, Daniel. We all expect you to get the last word in. Tosser. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Re: Informix in the press... #2
YES! YES!, I'm with you !! Free IDS 10 express download without bombs !!. This allowed me to study, learn and program for IDS. J. -----Original Message----- From: "Roy Mercer" <roy.mercer@gmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: 18 Aug 2006 08:51:47 -0700 Subject: Re: Informix in the press... Are you kidding me! http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/db2express/ DUH! It's free to download and run in production! This was my complaint at the Tampa conference, why does IBM let you download and run DB2 in production but not IDS! IDS Express needs to be offered as a free download just like DB2 express. You work for IBM? WTF! Christine Normile wrote: > The version of IDS v10 without the timeout was made available to the > IIUG exclusively for IIUG members to download. IBM requires that > individuals register when they want to download a product. Stuart > Litel has refused to make the non-timelimited code available because > of this IBM restriction (even though IBM was willing to provide the > hosting service.) > > It's interesting that you say you have trial code for DB2 that is non- > limited. Could you please provide the link where you obtained it? > > On Aug 18, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Double Echo wrote: > > > eric@herber-consulting.de wrote: > >> Sometimes wonders take a little bit longer: > >> > >> http://ww...

Re: OT: (becoming OT, at least) RE: MPE-IMAGE marketing #2
Last I knew when living west of beantown, Harvard was running HP3000 systems. > Alfredo that school wouldn't be Harvard would it? ;-) > > I would love to see all these HP3000s run merrily on though the next > decade - to the embarrassment of HP... > > I would have to agree with Christian it would take almost a miracle for them > to > change their minds - > > I think we ought to count on (and hope for) OpenMPE... But if that doesn't > happen - well, my 5.5 is good for a couple of decades! > > Bill > > * To join/leave the list, ...

RE: RE: Informix and SQL Server #2
Or you create sql/program on the informix side, dump it to filesystem. Then use DTS in sqlserver to FTP the file from informix server to sqlserver server (or somewhere sqlserver can pick it up)... And either transform the data on the way in from the flat file, or load the flat file to a "work-in-progress" table in sqlserver, then DTS/massage that working table into what you need... Not exactly a straight hook, but sometimes straight isn't the cat's meow either ;) -----Original Message----- From: Jean Sagi [mailto:jeansagi@myrealbox.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:05 PM To: Sebastian, Norma J. Cc: spinto@cap.org; wweaver@amicus.com; informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: RE: Informix and SQL Server Interesting. I saw the linked servers stuff and tried to add a new one. It seems that it could only be implemented with OLEBD and ADO. I mean I didn't see any options for an odbc data source. The only Informix providers I see are: - IBM Informix OLE DB Provider - Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (this one?) - Sybase Informix ADO Provider (I have Power Builder) Really a mini-guide on how to do this would be very helpfull. I have situations that I'm restricted to DTS or similar tools to join information from sql-server and IDS. J. -----Original Message----- From: "Sebastian, Norma J." <NormaJean.Sebastian@tellabs.com> To: "Savio Pint...

Re: Re: Migrate from Informix to Mysql #2
Man, then you are out of luck by yourself. You need to consider: Have to pay: - 4js - Queryx Free: - Aubit 4gl (I didn't remember if it supports Mousql). J. -----Original Message----- From: "Cyrille" <cyrshot@aol.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: 16 Jun 2005 06:20:40 -0700 Subject: Re: Migrate from Informix to Mysql Thank you very much for your answer. But my principal problem is not really here. Sorry, I haven't say all. We have an application which manage this database. This application is written in Informix 4GL, and Centura. Consequently, I must find a way to use the Informix4GL programms with the mysql database. Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@gmail.com sending to informix-list ...

Re: Re: Migrating Informix to PostgreSQL #2
;) ;) -----Original Message----- From: "My Name Is Bruce and I'm A Sock Puppet" <godzone@downundah.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:54:28 +0100 Subject: Re: Migrating Informix to PostgreSQL Victor Dario Martinez wrote: > > Hi !. I need info about cases or tools of migrating Infomix to PostgreSQL. > > Any info will very very important . > > Thanks !! http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries/Argentina/Business_and_Economy Shopping_and_Services/Employment/ -- Strewth! Stick a sock in it, Sheila! Jean Sagi jeansagi@myrealbox.com jeansagi@yahoo.com sending to informix-list ...

RE: re[2]: Informix to Oracle Migration
sorry - not for odbc yet,we're getting 1.0 out first. Once that�s done an esql compiler (probably based on ecpg [the postgres esqlc compiler which we've helped become informix compatible already ]) will be on our todo list.... However - I was just answering the original question.... Perhaps you could help him with his licensing issues ;-) (I doubt he'll have any with aubit4gl!) -----Original Message----- From: "Hubert Hoelzl"<h.hoelzl@querix.com> Has Aubit now got an Esql/C compiler ? >If anybody has any info about any other such tool which can compile >Informix4gl code communicating with Oracle database, please reply to >my ID. sending to informix-list ...

Re: Informix marketing #2
malc_p@btinternet.com said: > I'd like to have a look, Neil, I really would. What does: > > Welcome Back! > > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14' > > [Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Command contains unrecognized > phrase/keyword. > > /icon/incl_Functions.asp, line 658 > > Mean? It means they're a) running on the wrong OS, b) running with the wrong webserver and c) the wrong database. :o( -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco If anyone told you to be yourself they would be giving you bad advice. I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed sending to informix-list ...

Re: Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle? #2
Hey, hey, hey!! It works... ! Now there is something new I know... Chucho -----Original Message----- From: "Brian Foster" <bc_foster@hotmail.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:16:13 -0500 Subject: Re: Informix limitations, should we be using Oracle? you can select null, you just need to give your column a datatype. i.e. select null::integer from sometable; -Brian select case when 1=2 then 1 else null end::integer null_value from table(set{1}) Jean Sagi wrote in message ... > >I read all you post and it was ver...

Re: Re: Informix in the news! Part Deux... #2
I wonder if someone at IBM-Informix have had this thoughts... at least. It would be awesome if it happen, but even now I don't see it how. Maybe IDS will need to come to a point like derby for this to happen, whichever what it was. Maybe IDS will need to come to a point like derby for this to happen, whichever the reasons had been. -----Original Message----- From: Double Echo <doubleecho@your.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:15:07 -0500 Subject: Re: Informix in the news! Part Deux... Christine Normile wrote: > We cannot guarantee what other vendors will do. However, we are closely > engaged with the vendors mentioned below as well as many others. While we > continue to work with these vendors to ensure support of IDS, we need our > install base to influence the other vendors they purchase from just as you > have influenced IBM. Oracle is currently working on certifying IDS v9.40 > with PeopleSoft and we are asking for certification on v10.0. Baan is in > the process of certifying v10.0 and we are currently working on a strategic > initiative with Baan. We continue to work with SAP and will keep you > posted on changes. > > Users communicating with their vendors has the most significant impact on > vendor behavior. I would like to thank each and every customer and > business partner that helped to change IBM's strategy with Informix and I > would ask tha...

Re: Re
Data Goob said: > 14 hours? 3 hours? > > I can achieve better without the CopperEye. > > ;-) > > Even on one server, and better yet, I know we did this test > on a single 1-cpu box and did our largest load in 39 minutes. Yeah, well, it's pretty specious without a like-for-like comparison. When I was running RBW on my home PC, I could load 122M records (and index them) in about 2 hours. I'm running an Athlon 1.3GHz thing that I cobbled together myself (512MB RAM, single IDE drive). How does that compare to yours? -- Bye now, Obnoxio &...

Re: Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? #2
I'll bet Informix tool get revamped... (or DB2 ones...?) Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: "Neil Truby" <neil.truby@ardenta.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 00:17:39 +0100 Subject: Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? "Marco Greco" <marco@4glworks.com> wrote in message news:ch6rjd$feq$1@news.xmission.com... > > Not to blow my own trumpet, but if you want a dbaccess like tool with cursor > control, placeholders, variables, hashes, control statements, input and output > st...

Re: OT: Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ?
Ummm... Altavista did a decent job at translating this german site to english.... but Do you have an English version of the site so to better understand what you mean. Chucho! -----Original Message----- From: Serge Rielau <srielau@ca.eye-bee-em.com> To: informix-list@iiug.org Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 03:43:28 GMT Subject: OT: Re: Why there is no controlfile in Informix like Oracle ? Daniel Morgan wrote: > Interesting how the best interests of developers and DBAs is not always > in line with the best interests of the software companies. When has that > ever...