Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user

Just to add to the discussion

<SNIP>

> > It however allowed me to do a
> > GRANT SELECT ON TABLE T TO B.
>
>Possibly - but did it actually add anything to the systabauth table?  If
>you read the GRANT manual pages carefully, there appears to be a
>loophole such that a GRANT statement might execute 'OK' without granting
>the permissions.

<SNIP>

Is this a loophole or a security measure? I had been led to believe it works
this way deliberately.

By telling a user(hacker) that his command has failed is giving him
information/knowledge about your systems you may not want

Regards

Colin

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and
those that don't
sending to informix-list
0
Colin

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #2
This is from the -310 SQL errror code. Only one table with a given name can exist in a single database. (In an ANSI-compliant database, the name of the user that created a table name qualifies it, so one table of a given name per user can exist.) Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >Reply-To: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user >Date: 24 Aug 2005 23:22:39 -0700 > >Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and >hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and >googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at >all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the >same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list ...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #3
I think so... J. anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com escribis: > Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and > hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and > googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at > all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the > same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list definately! It can be done for temp tables ...

Relation of OS user to Informix database user
Hi, I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. Now, I could access the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as either of the users. I tried connecting as A from dbaccess and doing a REVOKE SELECT ON TABLE T FROM B. This gave an error saying no record in ISAM and Unable to revoke permissions. It however allowed me to do a GRANT SELECT ON TABLE T TO B. This did not change a thing since B could already access A's tables. So I did a REVOKE SELECT ON TABLE T FROM B. Next, I actually logged out and logged back in as B and still, inexplicably enough, I was able to see A's tables easily enough. Any explanations would be most welcome as I have been struggling to get this working for sometime now. Also any pointers to the relation of Informix's users to the operating system level users would be welcome. Regards, Anupam have you revoked from "public"? anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. Now, I could access > the e...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Informix User Forum 2006 - 2 day Informix Technical Conference for Users by Informix Users
A two-day Informix User Group Technical Conference - Friday and Saturday, December 8-9, 2006 The Washington Area Informix User Group (WAIUG) based in Washington, DC, and the Southeast Informix Users Group (SEIUG), based in Atlanta, GA, are teaming up once again to present Informix User Forum 2006. This will be the premiere Informix regional user group technical conference in the world. This is a user conference planned and run by Informix users for Informix users. I have been putting together the Washington Area Informix Users Group Forums since 1994 and last year's was the best event we have done to date. We had over 170 participants from 8 countries and 30 states in the US. There were 14 sponsors with products for the Informix user community. There were 32 technical presentations, by speakers who are Informix developers from IBM and DBA users from around the world. The message was very clear from IBM that Informix is a critical product and will continue to have a great future. The message from the users attending was also very clear, no other product does the job of Informix and we are loyal to what works. To view the results and presentations for last year's forum visit: http://www.iiug.org/waiug/present/Forum2005/Forum2005.html This years Forum looks to be even better then last year. We are very please to announce our Keynote Speakers --------------------------------------------------- * Friday, 8:00am December 8, 2006 � Ambuj Goyal, General M...

Washington Area Informix User Group - Informix Tech Day
Informix Tech Day Tuesday, November 9, 2010 Washington Area Informix User Group - Informix Tech Day - A FREE event for Informix Users * Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:00am to 5:00pm * Location: Crowne Plaza National Airport 1480 Crystal Drive Arlington, VA 22202 * (Near the Crystal City Metro) Save the day and join us for an exciting live demo and technical look under the covers of the newest and latest Informix technology . More information will be coming here soon! Details will be announce after the official release of the next version of Informix. Agenda: ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Informix User Forum 2006 - 2 day Techinical Conference - Best Value in User Conferences for Informix Users
A two-day Informix User Group Technical Conference by Informix Users for Informix Users - Friday and Saturday, December 8-9, 2006 Location - Fairview Park Marriott, 3111 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, VA (near Washington D.C.) There are a limited number of rooms available for Forum participants at a discounted rate of $94.00 per night on Thursday and Friday. Just contact Marriott reservations at 1800-228-9290 and ask the Fairview Park Marriott Hotel in Falls Church, VA, and the "WAIUG Forum room rate". We are very please to announce our Keynote Speakers --------------------------------------------------- * Friday, December 8, 2006 � Ambuj Goyal, General Manager of IBM Information Management * Saturday, December 9,2006 - Arvid Krishna, Vice President of Database Servers, IBM Information Management These are the top two executives for IBM Information Management and Database Servers. We are very please with IBM's support for our Forum 2006. The Washington Area Informix User Group (WAIUG) based in Washington, DC, and the Southeast Informix Users Group (SEIUG), based in Atlanta, GA, are teaming up once again to present Informix User Forum 2006. This will be the premiere Informix regional user group technical conference in the world. This is a user conference planned and run by Informix users for Informix users. Forum 2006 will include: * Technical presentations by the top Informix Speakers * Three tracks covering: - Database Tools and ...

RE: Informix User Forum 2005
david, r u coming because of paul? > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of david@smooth1.co.uk > Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 23:31 > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Informix User Forum 2005 - Moving Forward With > Informix -December 8-9 in Atlanta, GA > > > I am attending - definitely. > > Question.... > > Paul Watson is on the list of speakers...but the Paul Watson > from oninit is not attending!!! sending to informix-list ...

Informix Training for Informix Users
Hello, Free Webcast - Database Driven Websites - Using PHP with Informix by Thomas Beebe, Advanced DataTools Corporation You are invited to attend our next Webcast on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time What do Wikipedia, Facebook, Wordpress, and Yahoo all have in common? They all run on PHP. PHP is an open source server-side scripting language designed for Web development to produce dynamic Web pages. And it works great with the fastest database, Informix. In this talk we will be discussing how quick and easy it is get going in PHP and how to set up PHP to talk to Informix using the PDO driver library. You can easily use PHP to select, insert, update and delete data from an Informix database to create a database driven web site. To Register - http://www.advancedatatools.com/Informix/NextWebcast.html Informix Training at Advanced DataTools Our 2013 Informix Training Schedule is online. We have classes for new Informix DBA's or advanced Informix DBA's. Attend a advanced class taught by Lester Knutsen and Art Kagal. Register early as our classes filled up last year. March 11-14, 2013 - Informix for Database Administrators. This course is for database administrators, programmers, and technical support personnel who will be setting up, managing, and tuning IBM Informix 11, 10, or 7 databases. July 15-18, 2013 - Advanced Informix Performance Tuning. This course is for database administrators and application developers who ...

Re: How to run Informix as a normal/unprivileged "informix" user?
--0-948246894-1193069625=:38731 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If you have a recent version of IDS 10 or higher (10.00.TC5 or later), you = can change the IDS service to start as the local SYSTEM user. Then you can = take informix out of the Administrators group (but leave it in the Informix= -Admin group).=0A=0AGuy=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: "kdobrev@g= mail.com" <kdobrev@gmail.com>=0ATo: informix-list@iiug.org=0ASent: Monday, = October 22, 2007 7:23:08 AM=0ASubject: How to run Informix as a normal/unpr= ivileged "informix" user?=0A=0A=0ABy default the user informix is in the ad= miistrators group, which is a=0Asecurity hole. if somebody compromises the = database he will an=0Aadministrative account for the whole server.=0A=0AMy = question is how do I run Informix IDS (10) when the informix user=0Ais memb= er of the Users group, but not of the Administrators?=0A=0AThanks in advanc= e.=0A=0A_______________________________________________=0AInformix-list mai= ling list=0AInformix-list@iiug.org=0Ahttp://www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/i= nformix-list=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_____________________________________________= _____=0ADo You Yahoo!?=0ATired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam prot= ection around =0Ahttp://mail.yahoo.com --0-948246894-1193069625=:38731 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html><...

Re: How to run Informix as a normal/unprivileged "informix" user? #2
--0-1804522149-1193257177=:47469 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable > Making the IDS start with SYSTEM account is even worse than starting it w= ith as an administrator of the system=0A=0AWhy is it worse? =0A=0ASYSTEM is= not a real user. Many server programs choose to run their services as SYST= EM for security purposes so the real users can be taken out of Administrato= rs group. Can you elaborate on your specific concerns about running IDS as = SYSTEM user.=0A=0AGuy=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: "kdobrev@= gmail.com" <kdobrev@gmail.com>=0ATo: informix-list@iiug.org=0ASent: Wednesd= ay, October 24, 2007 2:07:11 AM=0ASubject: Re: How to run Informix as a nor= mal/unprivileged "informix" user?=0A=0A=0AI'm using Windows Server 2003 Sta= ndart. I have tried to make Informix=0Amember of Users instead of member of= Administrators, but a user cannot=0Astart services. I have given the right= to login as service, but still=0Ano luck. Making the IDS start with SYSTEM= account is even worse than=0Astarting it with as an administrator of the s= ystem.=0A=0AAny other suggestions?=0A=0A___________________________________= ____________=0AInformix-list mailing list=0AInformix-list@iiug.org=0Ahttp:/= /www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/informix-list=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_____________= _____________________________________=0ADo You Yahoo!?=0ATired of spam? Ya= hoo! Mail has th...

Washington Area Informix User Group Meeting - April 3, 2008
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Washington Area Informix User Group meeting - Thursday April 3, 2008 -------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thursday April 3, 2008, Time: 9:00-12:00pm Location: IBM Technical Exploration Center 4th Floor Classroom #2 8401 Greensboro Drive McLean, VA 22102 Directions are on our web site. The meeting is open to all but registration is required. Please register so we can provide IBM building security with a list of attendees: http://www.iiug.org/waiug/ Agenda: Application Development Tools for Informix Users * Cool SQL aka SQL Lightning Talks by Darryl Priest * Four Js Application Development for Informix by Stuart Litel of Kazer * IBM Data Studio that features pureQuery by David Beulke, Pragmatic Solutions, Inc. The meeting is open to all. Please register so we can provide IBM building security with a list of attendees: http://www.iiug.org/waiug/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 2008 IIUG Informix Conference - April 27-30, Overland Park, Kansas City ----------------------------------------------------------------------- The International Informix Users Group (IIUG) will hold its 2008 Informix Conference at the Overland Park Marriott in Overland Park, Kansas (USA). The hotel is just down the street from the IBM Development Lab in Lenexa, home to most of the Informix Development and Support Staff, ...

Washington Area Informix Users Group - Forum 2006
Washington Area Informix Users Group - Forum 2006 A two-day Informix User Group Technical Conference - Friday and Saturday, December 8-9, 2006 Registration is now open! - For the best value in Informix User Conferences! The Washington Area Informix User Group (WAIUG) based in Washington, DC, and the Southeast Informix Users Group (SEIUG), based in Atlanta, GA, are teaming up once again to present Informix User Forum 2006. This will be the premiere Informix regional user group technical conference in the world. This is a user conference planned and run by Informix users for Informix users. I have been putting together the Washington Area Informix Users Group Forums since 1994 and last year's was the best event we have done to date. We had over 170 participants from 8 countries and 30 states in the US. There were 14 sponsors with products for the Informix user community. There were 32 technical presentations, by speakers who are Informix developers from IBM and DBA users from around the world. The message was very clear from IBM that Informix is a critical product and will continue to have a great future. The message from the users attending was also very clear, no other product does the job of Informix and we are loyal to what works. To view the results and presentations for last year's forum visit: http://www.iiug.org/waiug/present/Forum2005/Forum2005.html Forum 2006 will include: * Technical presentations by the top Informix Speakers * Three ...

Re: USER in informix
Not completely correct. If you log in as someuser, and then sudo to runuser, then NAME will be "runuser". (This is a BIG pain). At least on HP-UX 11.i IDX 7.31 UD6. rkusenet wrote: > I have written a perl program to connect to an external box. The DBI->connect > requires user name and password. In order to avoid hardcoding password in > the perl text file I followed this approach:- > > $password=`PrintPassword` > chop($password); > > PrintPassword is an ESQL/C program which simply printf the password. > (of course I have taken care to...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

951: Incorrect password or user is not known on the database server in Informix 7.3
Hi. I recently booted the Informix IDS 7.31 server and after putting online the databases it appeared the message after acceding dbaccess: 951: Incorrect password or user informix is not known on the database server Any idea? Thanks. For more information on the log file I get: 19:20:33 listener-thread: err = -951: oserr = 13: errstr = informix: Incorrect password or user informix is not known on the database server. System error = 13. 19:20:33 Check for password aging/account lock-out. 19:20:33 Get Shadow Password for user [informix] failed! Massoroto wrote: > For more information on the log file I get: > > 19:20:33 listener-thread: err = -951: oserr = 13: errstr = informix: > Incorrect password or user informix is not known on the database > server. > System error = 13. > 19:20:33 Check for password aging/account lock-out. > 19:20:33 Get Shadow Password for user [informix] failed! > Which OS are you using? Are you sure everything is allright with user Informix? Can you logon? Are you sure your oninit's have the right permissions? System error 13 is "#define EACCES 13 /* Permission denied */" Regards... Which OS? Which OS version? Which IDS version? "Get Shadow Password for user [informix] failed!" Well that is pretty clear isn't it? ...

user names are not matching to users in database
I am using Java and building a user login table. When the data comes from a input stream from the console oracle matches the user and data. When the data comes from a servlet the data, even hardcoded does not match the database. Why? Is it the database or Java? Naccessible wrote: > I am using Java and building a user login table. When the data comes > from a input stream from the console oracle matches the user and data. > When the data comes from a servlet the data, even hardcoded does not > match the database. Why? Is it the database or Java? Huh? Can you post a snippet of yo...

Relationship between users, database applications, DBMS, and database
Hi, I need to explain in one paragraph relationship between users, database applications, DBMS, and database. It is not so easy to summarize all important things in one paragraph. Can somebody help me? Thank you in advance I'm sure some more technically minded participant of this group will provide a more in depth description. Here it is in layman's terms. A database is information that resides in a disk. The database management system (DBMS) is a set of programs, middleware if you will, which allow read and write access to the database. A database application is a set of programs that utilize the DBMS in order to store, retrieve, manipulate, and report the data in the database. Enhanced DBMS's, such as D3, offer much more than just read/write capabilities. They provide a full featured operating environment for the applications to run in. A programmer is an application developer who creates the applications for the benefit of the end users. And the end user is one who sits in front a keyboard and exercises the application. And I am the guy who just did your homework for you. -- Jeffrey Kaufman Key Data Systems Group www.keydata.us 559-432-3832 559-432-4657 fax Western Pacific Supply www.westpacsupply.com 888-WestPac "emeded" <erni@yeayea.com> wrote in message news:ea4c128b.0311151549.7b1a28ed@posting.google.com... > Hi, > I need to explain in one paragraph relationship between users, > databas...

Web resources about - Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user - comp.databases.informix

Relation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ternary relation , finitary relation in which the number of places in the relation is three. Ternary relations may also be referred to as 3-adic, ...

Three taken into custody in relation to Logan missing pair
... custody after police draw weapons on the Gateway Bridge. ​A vehicle intercepted on the Gateway Motorway this afternoon was stopped in relation ...

Three taken into custody in relation to Logan missing pair
Three people taken into custody after police draw weapons on the Gateway Bridge.

UK visa restrictions could impact relations with Australia, officials warn
Tighter visa regulations for Australians travelling to the UK could have a long-term impact on the relationship between the two countries, officials ...

Apple hires former Viacom PR exec for Apple TV content relations
... to expand the content available on the new fourth-gen Apple TV, Variety reports that the company has hired a former Viacom publication relations ...

Obama Wants To Turn A Page In Our Relations With Cuba Cruz And Rubio Are Stuck In A Time Warp
... CIA supported fascist dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista. Both Cubanos oppose mainstream, bipartisan American opinion about normalizing relations ...

Meet Amelia Pond: 'Vice president of future Google relations with Apple'
... wrote scripts to secretly automate a lot of his job — and email his wife and make a latte Pond is "Vice president of future Google relations ...

First black Southern Baptist president says US race relations worse under Obama
Race relations in America have worsened under President Obama's leadership, a former head of the Southern Baptist Convention has claimed.

Bernie Sanders: I would 'absolutely' improve race relations
... that the fruits of his economic agenda would help ease racial tensions in America. Asked by PBS debate moderator Judy Woodruff if "race relations ...

In A Sanders Presidency Race Relations Will ‘Absolutely’ Be Better
In A Sanders Presidency Race Relations Will ‘Absolutely’ Be Better