Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #2

This is from the -310 SQL errror code.

Only one table with a given name can exist in a single database. (In an
ANSI-compliant database, the name of the user that created a table name
qualifies it, so one table of a
given name per user can exist.)

Regards

Colin

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and
those that don't

>From: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com
>To: informix-list@iiug.org
>Subject: Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user
>Date: 24 Aug 2005 23:22:39 -0700
>
>Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and
>hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and
>googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at
>all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the
>same database but under two different users?
sending to informix-list
0
Colin

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user
Just to add to the discussion <SNIP> > > > It however allowed me to do a > > GRANT SELECT ON TABLE T TO B. > >Possibly - but did it actually add anything to the systabauth table? If >you read the GRANT manual pages carefully, there appears to be a >loophole such that a GRANT statement might execute 'OK' without granting >the permissions. <SNIP> Is this a loophole or a security measure? I had been led to believe it works this way deliberately. By telling a user(hacker) that his command has failed is giving him information/knowledge about your systems you may not want Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't sending to informix-list ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #3
I think so... J. anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com escribis: > Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and > hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and > googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at > all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the > same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list definately! It can be done for temp tables ...

Relation of OS user to Informix database user
Hi, I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. Now, I could access the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as either of the users. I tried connecting as A from dbaccess and doing a REVOKE SELECT ON TABLE T FROM B. This gave an error saying no record in ISAM and Unable to revoke permissions. It however allowed me to do a GRANT SELECT ON TABLE T TO B. This did not change a thing since B could already access A's tables. So I did a REVOKE SELECT ON TABLE T FROM B. Next, I actually logged out and logged back in as B and still, inexplicably enough, I was able to see A's tables easily enough. Any explanations would be most welcome as I have been struggling to get this working for sometime now. Also any pointers to the relation of Informix's users to the operating system level users would be welcome. Regards, Anupam have you revoked from "public"? anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. Now, I could access > the e...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

Informix User Forum 2006 - 2 day Informix Technical Conference for Users by Informix Users
A two-day Informix User Group Technical Conference - Friday and Saturday, December 8-9, 2006 The Washington Area Informix User Group (WAIUG) based in Washington, DC, and the Southeast Informix Users Group (SEIUG), based in Atlanta, GA, are teaming up once again to present Informix User Forum 2006. This will be the premiere Informix regional user group technical conference in the world. This is a user conference planned and run by Informix users for Informix users. I have been putting together the Washington Area Informix Users Group Forums since 1994 and last year's was the best event we have done to date. We had over 170 participants from 8 countries and 30 states in the US. There were 14 sponsors with products for the Informix user community. There were 32 technical presentations, by speakers who are Informix developers from IBM and DBA users from around the world. The message was very clear from IBM that Informix is a critical product and will continue to have a great future. The message from the users attending was also very clear, no other product does the job of Informix and we are loyal to what works. To view the results and presentations for last year's forum visit: http://www.iiug.org/waiug/present/Forum2005/Forum2005.html This years Forum looks to be even better then last year. We are very please to announce our Keynote Speakers --------------------------------------------------- * Friday, 8:00am December 8, 2006 � Ambuj Goyal, General M...

Informix User Forum 2006 - 2 day Techinical Conference - Best Value in User Conferences for Informix Users
A two-day Informix User Group Technical Conference by Informix Users for Informix Users - Friday and Saturday, December 8-9, 2006 Location - Fairview Park Marriott, 3111 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, VA (near Washington D.C.) There are a limited number of rooms available for Forum participants at a discounted rate of $94.00 per night on Thursday and Friday. Just contact Marriott reservations at 1800-228-9290 and ask the Fairview Park Marriott Hotel in Falls Church, VA, and the "WAIUG Forum room rate". We are very please to announce our Keynote Speakers --------------------------------------------------- * Friday, December 8, 2006 � Ambuj Goyal, General Manager of IBM Information Management * Saturday, December 9,2006 - Arvid Krishna, Vice President of Database Servers, IBM Information Management These are the top two executives for IBM Information Management and Database Servers. We are very please with IBM's support for our Forum 2006. The Washington Area Informix User Group (WAIUG) based in Washington, DC, and the Southeast Informix Users Group (SEIUG), based in Atlanta, GA, are teaming up once again to present Informix User Forum 2006. This will be the premiere Informix regional user group technical conference in the world. This is a user conference planned and run by Informix users for Informix users. Forum 2006 will include: * Technical presentations by the top Informix Speakers * Three tracks covering: - Database Tools and ...

Re: How to run Informix as a normal/unprivileged "informix" user? #2
--0-1804522149-1193257177=:47469 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable > Making the IDS start with SYSTEM account is even worse than starting it w= ith as an administrator of the system=0A=0AWhy is it worse? =0A=0ASYSTEM is= not a real user. Many server programs choose to run their services as SYST= EM for security purposes so the real users can be taken out of Administrato= rs group. Can you elaborate on your specific concerns about running IDS as = SYSTEM user.=0A=0AGuy=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: "kdobrev@= gmail.com" <kdobrev@gmail.com>=0ATo: informix-list@iiug.org=0ASent: Wednesd= ay, October 24, 2007 2:07:11 AM=0ASubject: Re: How to run Informix as a nor= mal/unprivileged "informix" user?=0A=0A=0AI'm using Windows Server 2003 Sta= ndart. I have tried to make Informix=0Amember of Users instead of member of= Administrators, but a user cannot=0Astart services. I have given the right= to login as service, but still=0Ano luck. Making the IDS start with SYSTEM= account is even worse than=0Astarting it with as an administrator of the s= ystem.=0A=0AAny other suggestions?=0A=0A___________________________________= ____________=0AInformix-list mailing list=0AInformix-list@iiug.org=0Ahttp:/= /www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/informix-list=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_____________= _____________________________________=0ADo You Yahoo!?=0ATired of spam? Ya= hoo! Mail has th...

Washington Area Informix User Group - Informix Tech Day
Informix Tech Day Tuesday, November 9, 2010 Washington Area Informix User Group - Informix Tech Day - A FREE event for Informix Users * Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:00am to 5:00pm * Location: Crowne Plaza National Airport 1480 Crystal Drive Arlington, VA 22202 * (Near the Crystal City Metro) Save the day and join us for an exciting live demo and technical look under the covers of the newest and latest Informix technology . More information will be coming here soon! Details will be announce after the official release of the next version of Informix. Agenda: ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Re: USER in informix #2
Not completely correct. If you log in as someuser, and then sudo to runuser, then NAME will be "runuser". (This is a BIG pain). At least on HP-UX 11.i IDX 7.31 UD6. rkusenet wrote: > I have written a perl program to connect to an external box. The DBI->connect > requires user name and password. In order to avoid hardcoding password in > the perl text file I followed this approach:- > > $password=`PrintPassword` > chop($password); > > PrintPassword is an ESQL/C program which simply printf the password. > (of course I have taken care to ensure that strings PrintPassword does > not reveal the password). Since the password is to be supplied to only > one user I am checking like this:- > > $ select count into :wcount > from systables > where USER = 'abc' ; > > This works like a charm. Unless I log on as 'abc', the program does not > print the password. However I want to confirm how does Informix > check USER. AFAIK it goes by real user id and not effective user id. That > is the takes the user name by which someone logons to the box or connects > to the database. Is there a hole in my assumption? > > TIA. > > Ravi > -- ( ______ )) .-- Scott MacKenzie; Dine' College ISD --. >===<--. C|~~| (>--- Phone/Voice Mail: 928-724-6639 ---<) | ; o |-&...

Re: Start informix database #2
Hi.. This is an example INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$INFORMIXDIR/bin INFORMIXSERVER=coldecon_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.coldecon export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit INFORMIXSERVER=opera_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.opera export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit --- madiego <madiego@qf21.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The > server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default > database but not > the database that I created.I haven't errors. > The configuration of INFORMIXDIR, INFROMIXSERVER, > sqlhosts and > onconfig is correct. > > What can I do? > > Regards, > __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail sending to informix-list ...

RE: Informix database creation #2
Hi The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk should have the offset as 600501 . Regards Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d Register in India's No 1 Matrimony. sending to informix-list "Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgsam4$i9q$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Hi > The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk > should have the offset as 600501 . Nonsense! ...

RE: Informix User Forum 2005
david, r u coming because of paul? > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of david@smooth1.co.uk > Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 23:31 > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Informix User Forum 2005 - Moving Forward With > Informix -December 8-9 in Atlanta, GA > > > I am attending - definitely. > > Question.... > > Paul Watson is on the list of speakers...but the Paul Watson > from oninit is not attending!!! sending to informix-list ...

Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #2
I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same schema(=table definition). Regards, Uday. "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" To <Aashishsr@hcl.in informix-list@iiug.org > cc Sent by: owner-informix-li Subject st@iiug.org Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases 12/09/2005 07:01 AM Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix. Any help will be appreciated. Th...

Re: How to run Informix as a normal/unprivileged "informix" user?
--0-948246894-1193069625=:38731 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If you have a recent version of IDS 10 or higher (10.00.TC5 or later), you = can change the IDS service to start as the local SYSTEM user. Then you can = take informix out of the Administrators group (but leave it in the Informix= -Admin group).=0A=0AGuy=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: "kdobrev@g= mail.com" <kdobrev@gmail.com>=0ATo: informix-list@iiug.org=0ASent: Monday, = October 22, 2007 7:23:08 AM=0ASubject: How to run Informix as a normal/unpr= ivileged "informix" user?=0A=0A=0ABy default the user informix is in the ad= miistrators group, which is a=0Asecurity hole. if somebody compromises the = database he will an=0Aadministrative account for the whole server.=0A=0AMy = question is how do I run Informix IDS (10) when the informix user=0Ais memb= er of the Users group, but not of the Administrators?=0A=0AThanks in advanc= e.=0A=0A_______________________________________________=0AInformix-list mai= ling list=0AInformix-list@iiug.org=0Ahttp://www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/i= nformix-list=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_____________________________________________= _____=0ADo You Yahoo!?=0ATired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam prot= ection around =0Ahttp://mail.yahoo.com --0-948246894-1193069625=:38731 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html><...

Informix Training for Informix Users
Hello, Free Webcast - Database Driven Websites - Using PHP with Informix by Thomas Beebe, Advanced DataTools Corporation You are invited to attend our next Webcast on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time What do Wikipedia, Facebook, Wordpress, and Yahoo all have in common? They all run on PHP. PHP is an open source server-side scripting language designed for Web development to produce dynamic Web pages. And it works great with the fastest database, Informix. In this talk we will be discussing how quick and easy it is get going in PHP and how to set up PHP to talk to Informix using the PDO driver library. You can easily use PHP to select, insert, update and delete data from an Informix database to create a database driven web site. To Register - http://www.advancedatatools.com/Informix/NextWebcast.html Informix Training at Advanced DataTools Our 2013 Informix Training Schedule is online. We have classes for new Informix DBA's or advanced Informix DBA's. Attend a advanced class taught by Lester Knutsen and Art Kagal. Register early as our classes filled up last year. March 11-14, 2013 - Informix for Database Administrators. This course is for database administrators, programmers, and technical support personnel who will be setting up, managing, and tuning IBM Informix 11, 10, or 7 databases. July 15-18, 2013 - Advanced Informix Performance Tuning. This course is for database administrators and application developers who ...

Washington Area Informix User Group Meeting - April 3, 2008
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Washington Area Informix User Group meeting - Thursday April 3, 2008 -------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thursday April 3, 2008, Time: 9:00-12:00pm Location: IBM Technical Exploration Center 4th Floor Classroom #2 8401 Greensboro Drive McLean, VA 22102 Directions are on our web site. The meeting is open to all but registration is required. Please register so we can provide IBM building security with a list of attendees: http://www.iiug.org/waiug/ Agenda: Application Development Tools for Informix Users * Cool SQL aka SQL Lightning Talks by Darryl Priest * Four Js Application Development for Informix by Stuart Litel of Kazer * IBM Data Studio that features pureQuery by David Beulke, Pragmatic Solutions, Inc. The meeting is open to all. Please register so we can provide IBM building security with a list of attendees: http://www.iiug.org/waiug/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 2008 IIUG Informix Conference - April 27-30, Overland Park, Kansas City ----------------------------------------------------------------------- The International Informix Users Group (IIUG) will hold its 2008 Informix Conference at the Overland Park Marriott in Overland Park, Kansas (USA). The hotel is just down the street from the IBM Development Lab in Lenexa, home to most of the Informix Development and Support Staff, ...

RE: How long can an Informix database name be? #2
The database name on SE is limited to 10 characters. This is an historical anomaly based on the fact that the database name was used as the directory name where that database will be stored. Directory names in early versions of unix were restricted to 14 characters, but that was including any extension, and as informix used dbname.dbs that restricted the database name to 10 characters. And beware - on some versions that ran on DOS it was further restricted to 8 characters - but that's another story. Regards Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Sebastian, Norma J. Sent: 11 January 2005 04:18 To: informix-list@iiug.org Cc: Mark Scranton ; Sebastian, Norma J. Subject: How long can an Informix database name be? Hi all, I have a customer with a "how long can a database name be?" question. The story is they have a standard engine, and lots of small databases, and they follow a certain naming standard for database names. They are using the informix engine as an embedded product, and he(customer) did not know the root or informix password on this system. First issue is... What IDS version.... Well.... I found tools like selog and secheck in $INFORMIXDIR/bin. When run, they show: Selog DBLOG: Transaction Log File Display C-ISAM Version 7.25.UC1 Secheck BCHECK C-ISAM B-tree Checker version 7.25.UC1 When I go into Isql,...

Re: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects #2
Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Christopher wrote: > > >>Can anyone recommend a good naming convention for database objects in >>Informix? >> >>Generally, I use my own variation on Hungarian, but I wondered if >>there is an equivalent of the RVBA (also known as Leszynski/Reddick) >>standard among Informix developers. >> >>I would also be thrilled to find a write-up I can reuse or just plain >>plagiarize. >> >>As an aside, this is to be implemented on IDS 9.4, so long identifiers >>are not an issue. > > > I generally prefix tables with this_is_a_table_called_, views with > this_is_a_view_called_, indexes with this_is_a_index_called_ ... ....And jokes with this_is_a_joke_ ... You shouldn't use your powers over the weak-minded for evil, Luke! I'm looking at a variable name in some 4GL code at the moment called g_f_or_p. Guess what values it generally contains? Now do you think I need to change it's name if I change it's contents?... Give people enough rope (chars), ... Cheers, -- Mark. +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+ | Mark D. Stock mailto:mdstock@MydasSolutions.com |//////// /| | Mydas Solutions Ltd http://MydasSolutions.com |///// / //| | +-----------------------------------+//// / ///| | |We value your comments, wh...

Web resources about - Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #2 - comp.databases.informix

Relation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ternary relation , finitary relation in which the number of places in the relation is three. Ternary relations may also be referred to as 3-adic, ...

The Coalition's industrial relations policy agenda has 'failed'
Tony Abbott came to power promising to shake up industrial relations laws and return them to the &quot;sensible centre&quot; in a policy document ...

Three taken into custody in relation to Logan missing pair
Three people taken into custody after police draw weapons on the Gateway Bridge.

UK visa restrictions could impact relations with Australia, officials warn
Tighter visa regulations for Australians travelling to the UK could have a long-term impact on the relationship between the two countries, officials ...

Apple hires former Viacom PR exec for Apple TV content relations
... to expand the content available on the new fourth-gen Apple TV, Variety reports that the company has hired a former Viacom publication relations ...

Obama Wants To Turn A Page In Our Relations With Cuba Cruz And Rubio Are Stuck In A Time Warp
... CIA supported fascist dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista. Both Cubanos oppose mainstream, bipartisan American opinion about normalizing relations ...

Meet Amelia Pond: 'Vice president of future Google relations with Apple'
... wrote scripts to secretly automate a lot of his job — and email his wife and make a latte Pond is "Vice president of future Google relations ...

First black Southern Baptist president says US race relations worse under Obama
Race relations in America have worsened under President Obama's leadership, a former head of the Southern Baptist Convention has claimed.

Russian PM Medvedev equates relations with West to a 'new Cold War'
CNN Russian PM Medvedev equates relations with West to a 'new Cold War' CNN (CNN) Bringing back the language of the 1950s and 60s, Russian ...

Senate Budget Chair Calls For Investigation Into Questionable Government Public Relations Spending
The request follows a report showing agencies spent $892.5 million on advertising contratcs in fiscal year 2013