RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem

In the past we have used Informix's internal mirroring capabilities to move to new disk arrays. This should also work to move from raw to cooked disks.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org
[mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 9:26 AM
To: informix-list@iiug.org
Subject: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem

Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw
slices to the local filesystem...?

I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling
Informix the new location of the chunks.

This seems straigtforward for the rootdbs (which is defined in
onconfig),
but what about the other chunks..?

I want to avoid unloading and reloading the data.  All I want to do is
move the physical chunks..

onstat -d:

Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC5    -- On-Line -- Up 2 days
14:38:28 --
40768 Kbytes

Dbspaces
address  number   flags    fchunk   nchunks  flags  owner    name
c04a150  1        1        1        1        N      informix rootdbs
c04a618  2        1        2        1        N      informix logicdbs
c04a6d8  3        1        3        1        N      informix procdbs
 3 active, 2047 maximum

Chunks
address  chk/dbs offset   size     free   bpages   flags pathname
c04a210  1   1   50       400000   278361        PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s4
c04a458  2   2   50       200000   134867        PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s5
c04a538  3   3   50       400000   347171        PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s6

Any help appreciated...

Matt
sending to informix-list
0
Kleinhomer

RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #5
-----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:59 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem Funnily enough, your idea to create a soft link in /dev from the old device to the new device/location is exactly what I was planning to do if I couldn't find a 'better' solution. Based on this thread, I may well have to go down that route... My Informix knowledge is very limited....!?! What I will probably do is: 1. create the soft link from /dev to get informix up and running on a different machine. 2. On this new machine: Add a mirror chunk to each dbspace and drop the original mirror to effectively relocate the databse to the filesystem. If I have no joy with step 2, I will run with the soft link from /dev. This will have to be documented well so that if someone destroys /dev (through devfsadm or similar) then the links can be recreated easily. Its not ideal but its preferable to unloading and reloading the whole database, which has its own risks. Thanks for the advice.. Matt onbar has a -rename option... sending to informix-list ...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #4
True there are issues but it's a easy solution to the problem, gets round the 'can not rename chunks' issue, no need to hassle about mirroring etc But the original post said going to internal disks so there will not be a name clash. On 10/17/05, Paul Watson <pwatson@irace.com> wrote: > > On 17 Oct 2005 15:26:36 -0700, david@smooth1.co.uk <david@smooth1.co.uk> > wrote: > > > > > > Paul Watson wrote: > > > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from > > the > > > old slice to the internal disk and then > > > just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location > > > > > > > > > > > > I'm guess this a Solaris platform..and then someone runs devfsadm that > > rebuilds /dev and removes your links! > > > > Or someone adds a new device and Solaris wants to use that name! > > > > Bad idea to store stuff under /dev. That directory is for the OS > > to control not you. > > > > If you are running on IDS 9.40 or IDS 10 then ontape has the ability to > > rename chunks during a restore. > > > > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0405fan/ > > > > > > > > > -- > Paul Watson > Tel: +44 7818 003457 > Fax: +44 1436 678693 > ...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #3
If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the old slice to the internal disk and then just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location On 10/17/05, Fernando Nunes <spam@domus.online.pt> wrote: > > Clive Eisen wrote: > > mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > > > >> > >> I don't neccesarily need to move them off raw slices, but I do need to > >> move them to different slices. This is because I am moving the > >> database from SAN storage to internal disks... So ultimately > >> /dev/rdsk/c1d6d0s4 (and s5 and s6) wont exist anymore. > >> > >> So I need a way of relocating the data to a new slice or a filesystem > >> file. I suspect the process will be t > >> > > You can, in an unsupported environment, binary edit the rootdbs > > as the path to the other chunks is held there > > But the new paths would need to have the same length... > That's why you should never use physical names. Always use symbolic > links to the real devices... > > In this circunstances I don't see how an unload/reload can be avoided... > > > Regards. > > > -- Paul Watson Tel: +44 7818 003457 Fax: +44 1436 678693 sending to informix-list Paul Watson wrote: > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the ...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #2
Why pay someone ??? It's a trivial task On 10/17/05, Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > > <mccmx@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:1129561344.240798.314750@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Thats sounds promising. > > > > So effectively add a mirrored chunk to each dbspace using onspaces and > > then drop the original chunk. > > > > Can you do this for the rootdbs dbspace too...? > > > > Matt > > > > If it's a production system you might be better off paying someone who > knows > what they're doing to do this for you. > > -- > Neil Truby t:01932 724027 > Director m:07798 811708 > Ardenta Limited e:neil.truby@ardenta.com > > > > -- Paul Watson Tel: +44 7818 003457 Fax: +44 1436 678693 sending to informix-list ...

Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling Informix the new location of the chunks. This seems straigtforward for the rootdbs (which is defined in onconfig), but what about the other chunks..? I want to avoid unloading and reloading the data. All I want to do is move the physical chunks.. onstat -d: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC5 -- On-Line -- Up 2 days 14:38:28 -- 40768 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name c04a150 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs c04a618 2 1 2 1 N informix logicdbs c04a6d8 3 1 3 1 N informix procdbs 3 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname c04a210 1 1 50 400000 278361 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s4 c04a458 2 2 50 200000 134867 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s5 c04a538 3 3 50 400000 347171 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s6 Any help appreciated... Matt mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw > slices to the local filesystem...? > > I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling > Informix the new location of the chunks. > > This seems str...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

Re: Start informix database
May be you have more than one Informix's instances and your missed database was not created in the instance where you are looking for it. Send us the content of your sqlhosts file and the result of : echo $INFORMIXSERVER Regards ----- Original Message ----- From: "madiego" <madiego@qf21.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 1:04 PM Subject: Start informix database > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. &...

RE: Informix database creation
The Raw device of 17Gb will not be useful to you on 7.31.FD6. You need to create then at 2Gb (maximum sizes are listed in your release notes), or upgrade to 9.40. Check onstat -d again...it suggests you have successfully created that dbspace and are trying to create it again. MW > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of Seweryn > Sent: Thursday, 7 August 2003 7:57 a.m. > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Informix database creation > > > Hi all, > > I'm ...

Re: Benchmarking for Informix database
Peter Chang said: > > I was wondering if there are any benchmarking tool that I can use to > calculate TPM of an Informix database on a particular server? I seem to recall that it's possible to download the TPC benchmarks from www.tpc.org ...? But the best benchmark is your own application and something like a load runner robot. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH &qu...

RE: Rowids in Informix Databases
Vijay All the tables will have rowids (they must !!), they are not visible on a normal table view but can be returned by query. If a table is fragmented (but only if (v7.31) ) it can be created WITH ROWIDS which will create a separate rowid column. Why do you need rowids? They tend to be a fudge to cover up poor or inadequate database design. Don't you have lots of lovely, simple (single column) primary keys to use to identify your records. Keith=20 -> -----Original Message----- -> From: Vijay Kumar [mailto:rudrappa@india.hp.com] -> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 20...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Web resources about - RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem - comp.databases.informix

Filesystem in Userspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Filesystem in Userspace ( FUSE ) is an operating system mechanism for Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create ...

Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode geschrieben. ...

XFS: Recent and Future Adventures in Filesystem Scalability - Dave Chinner - YouTube
Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to ...

Former Google engineer revs up a new Linux filesystem
An ex-Googler is writing a file system, Bcachefs, to match the speed of traditional Linux file systems with the advanced scalability and reliability ...

Opinion: Why a visible filesystem in iOS is key if the iPad Pro is to be a true PC replacement
... Jobs Continue reading more about Apple Inc , Steve Jobs , and Opinion at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Opinion: Why a visible filesystem ...

P2P-like Tahoe filesystem offers secure storage in the cloud
Tahoe is a secure cloud filesystem that is licensed under the GPL. Its …

Bcachefs is a new speed-focus Linux filesystem from Kent Overstreet
... Kent Overstreet a little over five years ago. Now the Linux kernel block layer cache is being used as the basis for a new open source filesystem. ...

Filesystem Metadata Doesn't Scale
Metadata tucked away inside a binary file.. isn't. But Windows Media Player doesn't care a whit about my painstakingly constructed file names ...

iPhone Hackers: "we have owned the filesystem"
The kooky hacking kids over at IRC channel #iphone claim to have gained full ownership of the iPhone filesystem. In an update titled 'How to ...

Red Hat Releases RHEL 7 With New Filesystem, Docker Support
After three and a half years in development, a major milestone update for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat's flagship Linux platform, debuts. ...