Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #2

Why pay someone ??? It's a trivial task

--
Paul Watson
Tel: +44 7818 003457

RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
In the past we have used Informix's internal mirroring capabilities to move to new disk arrays. This should also work to move from raw to cooked disks. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 9:26 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling Informix the new location of the chunks. This seems straigtforward for the rootdbs (which is defined in onconfig), but what about the other chunks..? I want to avoid unloading and reloading the data. All I want to do is move the physical chunks.. onstat -d: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC5 -- On-Line -- Up 2 days 14:38:28 -- 40768 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name c04a150 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs c04a618 2 1 2 1 N informix logicdbs c04a6d8 3 1 3 1 N informix procdbs 3 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname c04a210 1 1 50 400000 278361 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s4 c04a458 2 2 50 200000 134867 P...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #4
True there are issues but it's a easy solution to the problem, gets round the 'can not rename chunks' issue, no need to hassle about mirroring etc But the original post said going to internal disks so there will not be a name clash. On 10/17/05, Paul Watson <pwatson@irace.com> wrote: > > On 17 Oct 2005 15:26:36 -0700, david@smooth1.co.uk <david@smooth1.co.uk> > wrote: > > > > > > Paul Watson wrote: > > > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from > > the > > > old slice to the internal disk and then > > > just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location > > > > > > > > > > > > I'm guess this a Solaris platform..and then someone runs devfsadm that > > rebuilds /dev and removes your links! > > > > Or someone adds a new device and Solaris wants to use that name! > > > > Bad idea to store stuff under /dev. That directory is for the OS > > to control not you. > > > > If you are running on IDS 9.40 or IDS 10 then ontape has the ability to > > rename chunks during a restore. > > > > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0405fan/ > > > > > > > > > -- > Paul Watson > Tel: +44 7818 003457 > Fax: +44 1436 678693 > ...

RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #5
-----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:59 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem Funnily enough, your idea to create a soft link in /dev from the old device to the new device/location is exactly what I was planning to do if I couldn't find a 'better' solution. Based on this thread, I may well have to go down that route... My Informix knowledge is very limited....!?! What I will probably do is: 1. create the soft link from /dev to get informix up and running on a different machine. 2. On this new machine: Add a mirror chunk to each dbspace and drop the original mirror to effectively relocate the databse to the filesystem. If I have no joy with step 2, I will run with the soft link from /dev. This will have to be documented well so that if someone destroys /dev (through devfsadm or similar) then the links can be recreated easily. Its not ideal but its preferable to unloading and reloading the whole database, which has its own risks. Thanks for the advice.. Matt onbar has a -rename option... sending to informix-list ...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #3
If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the old slice to the internal disk and then just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location On 10/17/05, Fernando Nunes <spam@domus.online.pt> wrote: > > Clive Eisen wrote: > > mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > > > >> > >> I don't neccesarily need to move them off raw slices, but I do need to > >> move them to different slices. This is because I am moving the > >> database from SAN storage to internal disks... So ultimately > >> /dev/rdsk/c1d6d0s4 (and s5 and s6) wont exist anymore. > >> > >> So I need a way of relocating the data to a new slice or a filesystem > >> file. I suspect the process will be t > >> > > You can, in an unsupported environment, binary edit the rootdbs > > as the path to the other chunks is held there > > But the new paths would need to have the same length... > That's why you should never use physical names. Always use symbolic > links to the real devices... > > In this circunstances I don't see how an unload/reload can be avoided... > > > Regards. > > > -- Paul Watson Tel: +44 7818 003457 Fax: +44 1436 678693 sending to informix-list Paul Watson wrote: > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the ...

Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling Informix the new location of the chunks. This seems straigtforward for the rootdbs (which is defined in onconfig), but what about the other chunks..? I want to avoid unloading and reloading the data. All I want to do is move the physical chunks.. onstat -d: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC5 -- On-Line -- Up 2 days 14:38:28 -- 40768 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name c04a150 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs c04a618 2 1 2 1 N informix logicdbs c04a6d8 3 1 3 1 N informix procdbs 3 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname c04a210 1 1 50 400000 278361 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s4 c04a458 2 2 50 200000 134867 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s5 c04a538 3 3 50 400000 347171 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s6 Any help appreciated... Matt mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw > slices to the local filesystem...? > > I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling > Informix the new location of the chunks. > > This seems str...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database #2
You can only revoke a privilege that exists explicitly and you are the GRANTOR, if a user's rights are part of "public" then you cannot prevent the access unless you revoke connection privileges from public Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: "Gosney Simon" <GosneyS@axxia.com> >To: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>, <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database >user >Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:48:31 +0100 > >Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a >user who has those rights because they're a member of public? > >Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT >statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's >rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? > >Cheers > >Simon > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] >On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler >Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user > >anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 f...

Re: Start informix database #2
Hi.. This is an example INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$INFORMIXDIR/bin INFORMIXSERVER=coldecon_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.coldecon export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit INFORMIXSERVER=opera_shm ONCONFIG=onconfig.opera export PATH INFORMIXDIR INFORMIXSERVER ONCONFIG oninit --- madiego <madiego@qf21.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I had an informix database in the unix server. The > server has been > restarted and now I can't start the database. > I execute 'oninit' and only can started the default...

RE: Informix database creation #2
Hi The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk should have the offset as 600501 . Regards Ravinder Bahadur _________________________________________________________________ Are you Unmarried? http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?4d Register in India's No 1 Matrimony. sending to informix-list "Ravinder Bahadur" <ravinder_b@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgsam4$i9q$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > Hi > The existing chunk is already starting at offset of 500. Your new chunk > sh...

Re: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #2
I think your best bet would be to use HPL to unload data from the logged db and load it into the non-logged db as long as they both have the same schema(=table definition). Regards, Uday. "Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai" To <Aashishsr@hcl.in informix-list@iiug.org > cc Sent by: owner-informix-li Subject st@iiug.org Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases 12/09/2005 07:01 AM Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The problem comes when I try to access data across both these databases. I cannot link tables between these databases because of their logging properties. So I am dumping the data into a CSV file and loading it again but for my initial load which consists of 40+ million records it is a problem. In oracle I know we can make a separate table space and dump the data there then load the table space to another database. I don't know if such a thing is possible in Informix. Any help will be appreciated. Th...

Re: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects #2
Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Christopher wrote: > > >>Can anyone recommend a good naming convention for database objects in >>Informix? >> >>Generally, I use my own variation on Hungarian, but I wondered if >>there is an equivalent of the RVBA (also known as Leszynski/Reddick) >>standard among Informix developers. >> >>I would also be thrilled to find a write-up I can reuse or just plain >>plagiarize. >> >>As an aside, this is to be implemented on IDS 9.4, so long identifiers >>are not an issue....

RE: How long can an Informix database name be? #2
The database name on SE is limited to 10 characters. This is an historical anomaly based on the fact that the database name was used as the directory name where that database will be stored. Directory names in early versions of unix were restricted to 14 characters, but that was including any extension, and as informix used dbname.dbs that restricted the database name to 10 characters. And beware - on some versions that ran on DOS it was further restricted to 8 characters - but that's another story. Regards Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@...

RE: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #2
Hi Howard. Can you post your sqlhosts,DBSERVERALIAS of oncofig and /etc/services ? Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan . ICQ#:168106592 >From: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >Reply-To: howie_lfc@hotmail.com (howie) >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance >Date: 17 Feb 2004 02:33:01 -0800 > >Informix 9.21.FC4 >HPUX 11.0 > >Hello all, > >DFirstly I wish to thank eveyone who helped me populate the archive >database on our Informix system. All went well over the last weeke...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #2
This is from the -310 SQL errror code. Only one table with a given name can exist in a single database. (In an ANSI-compliant database, the name of the user that created a table name qualifies it, so one table of a given name per user can exist.) Regards Colin There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't >From: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >Reply-To: anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user >Date: 24 Aug 2005 23:22:39 -0700 > >Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and >hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and >googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at >all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the >same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list ...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #2
Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing memory Verify with ipcs -m Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release notes ( if should not impact, but you never know) If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE -----Message d'origine----- De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 � : informix-list@iiug.org Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server Check the release note in $INFO...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

RE: Change database mode online using onmode in Informix #2
onmode -m takes the database server from quiescent or single-user mode to online mode. To bring the server from off-line to on-line, you should just use the oninit command. You could use the oninit -s to initialise shared memory and bring the server to single-user mode and then use onmode -m to bring it to multi-user mode. By the way, you should not use onmode -ky to shut down the server unless you are in quiescent mode. This will not perform a checkpoint and can, in some situations, lead to data loss or corruption. I recommend shutting down with onmode -yuk. This brings the database server to quiescent mode without waiting for users to finish their sessions. Their current transactions are rolled back, and their sessions are terminated. A checkpoint is completed and then database server goes to offline mode and database server shared memory is removed. The order of parameters is unimportant, but I use "onmode -yuk" because of the mnemonic value, at least for English speakers; say it out loud with me: "onmode -yuk (yuck) can avoid a big mess." I know its silly, but it sticks in the head. Check the IBM Informix Dynamic Server Administrator's Reference: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/html/25122680/25122680tfrm.htm Sincerely, Christopher Coleman Steering Committee President Kansas City Informix Users Group www.iiug.org/kciug Database Analyst Pharmacy Division Mediware Information Systems, Inc. -----Original ...

Re: get syntax error when loading data to a informix database #2
Umesh said: > Hi > I have ids 9.4 oon windows and csdk. l successfully connected > to the database using Visula Basic 6. > When l build a string for example > SQL1 = "select * from hse2 where field1 matches " & "'a*' > and execute using : DbaseConn.Execute (SQL1) it works fine. > > When l try to load data to a table : > SQL1 = "load from " & " 'd:\x.unl' " & " insert into hse2" > or > SQL1 = "load from 'd:\x.unl' insert into hse2 > > I get a syntax error -201. Anyone know why. Because the LOAD statement is specific to DBACCESS, not SQL. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed sending to informix-list ...

Re: Open source sql client for accessing Informix database #2
works for me..... david@smooth1.co.uk wrote: > Tried to email you but it bounced... > > Your web site gives your email address as mailto:marco@4glworks.com > > but this bounces! > > email me at david@smooth1.co.uk > > -- Ciao, Marco ______________________________________________________________________________ Marco Greco /UK /IBM Standard disclaimers apply! Informix faq http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/informix.htm 4glworks http://www.4glworks.com ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2
Hi, ontape (in older versions) has a limitation of 2 GB only if TAPEDEV is a file in the file system. If TAPEDEV is an actual tape device, then this restriction does not apply. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 17:11:49: > Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is > done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but > you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical > recovery. > > If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may > need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, > then import it back to the primary instance. > > There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum > TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning > multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some > manual intervention). sending to informix-list ...

Web resources about - Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #2 - comp.databases.informix

Filesystem in Userspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Filesystem in Userspace ( FUSE ) is an operating system mechanism for Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create ...

Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode geschrieben. ...

XFS: Recent and Future Adventures in Filesystem Scalability - Dave Chinner - YouTube
Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to ...

Former Google engineer revs up a new Linux filesystem
An ex-Googler is writing a file system, Bcachefs, to match the speed of traditional Linux file systems with the advanced scalability and reliability ...

Opinion: Why a visible filesystem in iOS is key if the iPad Pro is to be a true PC replacement
... Jobs Continue reading more about Apple Inc , Steve Jobs , and Opinion at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Opinion: Why a visible filesystem ...

P2P-like Tahoe filesystem offers secure storage in the cloud
Tahoe is a secure cloud filesystem that is licensed under the GPL. Its …

Bcachefs is a new speed-focus Linux filesystem from Kent Overstreet
... Kent Overstreet a little over five years ago. Now the Linux kernel block layer cache is being used as the basis for a new open source filesystem. ...

Filesystem Metadata Doesn't Scale
Metadata tucked away inside a binary file.. isn't. But Windows Media Player doesn't care a whit about my painstakingly constructed file names ...

iPhone Hackers: "we have owned the filesystem"
The kooky hacking kids over at IRC channel #iphone claim to have gained full ownership of the iPhone filesystem. In an update titled 'How to ...

Red Hat Releases RHEL 7 With New Filesystem, Docker Support
After three and a half years in development, a major milestone update for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat's flagship Linux platform, debuts. ...