Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #3

If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the
old slice to the internal disk and then
just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location

--
Paul Watson
Tel: +44 7818 003457

Paul Watson wrote:
> If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the
> old slice to the internal disk and then
> just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location

I'm guess this a Solaris platform..and then someone runs devfsadm that
rebuilds /dev and removes your links!

Or someone adds a new device and Solaris wants to use that name!

Bad idea to store stuff under /dev. That directory is for the OS
to control not you.

If you are running on IDS 9.40 or IDS 10 then ontape has the ability to
rename chunks during a restore.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0405fan/

0
david

RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
In the past we have used Informix's internal mirroring capabilities to move to new disk arrays. This should also work to move from raw to cooked disks. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 9:26 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling Informix the new location of the chunks. This seems straigtforward for the rootdbs (which is defined in onconfig), but what about the other chunks..? I want to avoid unloading and reloading the data. All I want to do is move the physical chunks.. onstat -d: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC5 -- On-Line -- Up 2 days 14:38:28 -- 40768 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name c04a150 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs c04a618 2 1 2 1 N informix logicdbs c04a6d8 3 1 3 1 N informix procdbs 3 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname c04a210 1 1 50 400000 278361 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s4 c04a458 2 2 50 200000 134867 P...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #4
True there are issues but it's a easy solution to the problem, gets round the 'can not rename chunks' issue, no need to hassle about mirroring etc But the original post said going to internal disks so there will not be a name clash. On 10/17/05, Paul Watson <pwatson@irace.com> wrote: > > On 17 Oct 2005 15:26:36 -0700, david@smooth1.co.uk <david@smooth1.co.uk> > wrote: > > > > > > Paul Watson wrote: > > > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from > > the > > > old slice to the internal disk and then > > > just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location > > > > > > > > > > > > I'm guess this a Solaris platform..and then someone runs devfsadm that > > rebuilds /dev and removes your links! > > > > Or someone adds a new device and Solaris wants to use that name! > > > > Bad idea to store stuff under /dev. That directory is for the OS > > to control not you. > > > > If you are running on IDS 9.40 or IDS 10 then ontape has the ability to > > rename chunks during a restore. > > > > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0405fan/ > > > > > > > > > -- > Paul Watson > Tel: +44 7818 003457 > Fax: +44 1436 678693 > ...

RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #5
-----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:59 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem Funnily enough, your idea to create a soft link in /dev from the old device to the new device/location is exactly what I was planning to do if I couldn't find a 'better' solution. Based on this thread, I may well have to go down that route... My Informix knowledge is very limited....!?! What I will probably do is: 1. create the soft link from /dev to get informix up and running on a different machine. 2. On this new machine: Add a mirror chunk to each dbspace and drop the original mirror to effectively relocate the databse to the filesystem. If I have no joy with step 2, I will run with the soft link from /dev. This will have to be documented well so that if someone destroys /dev (through devfsadm or similar) then the links can be recreated easily. Its not ideal but its preferable to unloading and reloading the whole database, which has its own risks. Thanks for the advice.. Matt onbar has a -rename option... sending to informix-list ...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #2
Why pay someone ??? It's a trivial task On 10/17/05, Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > > <mccmx@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:1129561344.240798.314750@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Thats sounds promising. > > > > So effectively add a mirrored chunk to each dbspace using onspaces and > > then drop the original chunk. > > > > Can you do this for the rootdbs dbspace too...? > > > > Matt > > > > If it's a production system you might be better off paying someone who > knows > what they're doing to do this for you. > > -- > Neil Truby t:01932 724027 > Director m:07798 811708 > Ardenta Limited e:neil.truby@ardenta.com > > > > -- Paul Watson Tel: +44 7818 003457 Fax: +44 1436 678693 sending to informix-list ...

Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling Informix the new location of the chunks. This seems straigtforward for the rootdbs (which is defined in onconfig), but what about the other chunks..? I want to avoid unloading and reloading the data. All I want to do is move the physical chunks.. onstat -d: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC5 -- On-Line -- Up 2 days 14:38:28 -- 40768 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk nchunks flags owner name c04a150 1 1 1 1 N informix rootdbs c04a618 2 1 2 1 N informix logicdbs c04a6d8 3 1 3 1 N informix procdbs 3 active, 2047 maximum Chunks address chk/dbs offset size free bpages flags pathname c04a210 1 1 50 400000 278361 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s4 c04a458 2 2 50 200000 134867 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s5 c04a538 3 3 50 400000 347171 PO- /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0s6 Any help appreciated... Matt mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw > slices to the local filesystem...? > > I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling > Informix the new location of the chunks. > > This seems str...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Re: Informix database creation #3
Seweryn: When you run "onstat -d" - it gives size in terms of blocks (pagesize). It can be 2K or 4 K depending upon OS. You can find out the page size using "onstat -b | grep 'buffer' | awk '{print $10}' " - this will return page size in BYTES . When you create the dbspace using onspaces - you need to mention the size of the dbspace interms of "KBytes" example: In your OS, if you have Page size 2K - then you need to start the offset from 1200000, you can go only upto 800000 KB size of dbspace due to 2GB size limitation. try thi...

RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases #3
Hi Simmon and Superboer thanks you for your suggestions. I tried out the RAW table and it works like a charm, it was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Regards, Aash -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [ mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org <mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org> ]On Behalf Of Simmons, Keith Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:41 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Aash You don't tell us which version of IDS you are using, however have you investigated RAW tables (if they are avaialable in your version). They can be created in logged or unlogged dbs and can allow the type of access you require. RAW tables cannot be indexed or have constraints, but the table can be changed to STANDARD (very quickly) and then be indexed. You will not need any intermediate files, just INSERT INTO 'raw_table' SELECT FROM 'source_table'. Keith -----Original Message----- From: Aashish Ramsinghani - ASDC, Chennai [ mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in <mailto:Aashishsr@hcl.in> ] Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 13:01 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Moving Informix TableSpaces between databases Hi I am using Informix for one of my DW projects. We are loading data from the source system into the staging area both are separate Databases. Source has logging enables and staging has it disabled. The prob...

RE: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects #3
I think you seem a tad upset there. Maybe because someone got the better of the clown? -----Original Message----- From: Obnoxio The Clown [SMTP:obnoxio@hotmail.com] Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 12:57 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: RE: Naming Convention for Informix Database Objects Dusty Haas wrote: > Shouldn't indices be - this_is_an_index_called_ instead of a_index_? > > Just a curious thought You're quite right to do that nit pick and I do feel just like a right dick your razor sharp eyes affirm the surmise "to cut and paste is la...

Re: Connecting to new database within Informix Instance #3
Hi again. Execute the following command. /usr/sbin/ping arcdb e.g) etorofu 27: /usr/sbin/ping bygzam -n 3 PING bygzam: 64 byte packets 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=0. time=6. ms 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=1. time=0. ms 64 bytes from 172.16.105.171: icmp_seq=2. time=0. ms ----bygzam PING Statistics---- 3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 0/2/6 If you can not correct result from ping, resolve hostname first. Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 >From: &qu...

Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user #3
I think so... J. anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com escribis: > Thanks for the great pointers. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie and > hopefully my questions were not too basic. I did try reading up and > googling but could not find much. I have one more question . Is it at > all possible to create two different tables with the same name in the > same database but under two different users? sending to informix-list definately! It can be done for temp tables ...

Re: Open source sql client for accessing Informix database #3
Marco Greco said: > works for me..... > > david@smooth1.co.uk wrote: >> Tried to email you but it bounced... >> >> Your web site gives your email address as mailto:marco@4glworks.com >> >> but this bounces! >> >> email me at david@smooth1.co.uk Works for me too. Maybe you need a decent ISP, David? :op -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche A smile is a gift that is free to the giver and precious to the recipient. But giving s...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #3
Did You re-install Informix executables ('installserver' script) after transferring it to anather machine with Solaris utility? If not, please, do that. Also, do nor forget about 'RUNASROOT' script. ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin Senior Database Administrator > -----Original Message----- > From: KW Foo [mailto:hovid@streamyx.com] > Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 5:38 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server > using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > > > > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the > Informix > > > ch...

Re: get syntax error when loading data to a informix database #3
The second form should work. What are you using as a field delimiter? Informix defaults to a pipe "|". If you are using some other character you will need to include the delimiter phrase ... LOAD FROM "pathname" [DELIMITER "char"] INSERT INTO table-name commbtp@lineone.n et (Umes...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3
Hi, - you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these utility commands. - using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately. You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions. See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info. - to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar. However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and be able to restore them successfully. - there's no backing up of (separate) databases, neither with ontape nor with ON-Bar. - you can look into other utilities. Rather than onload/onunload (with the size of your databases) you may want to look into HPL (High Performance Loader) ? Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 15:13:38: > > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. > > My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a > problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. > > Anybody may help me? sending to informix-list ...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #3
David Williams wrote: > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote in message news:btmcr4> That > will make it a lot tidier, should be able to use a case statement. > >>I will revise next week sometime. >> > > > http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk/ifaq06.htm#6.33 > > 6.33 What status codes does onstat return? > On 21st May 1998 mdstock@informix.com (Mark D. Stock) wrote:- > > As a point of interest, you can check the current mode of IDS by checking > the status ($?) after onstat -. > > The values r...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #3
Thanks a lot ! My problem was the fact that I tried to restore on a Linux machine a backup made on a UNIX machine. The INFORMIX server version was the same. The problem was the OS, in fact. Backup with ontape is recommended only when the restore is made on the same machine. Carmen ----- Original Message ----- From: "S.Dhayanidhi" <sdhaya@hotmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:35 AM Subject: Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux > Here is my cute little code.. for u...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

Re: Benchmarking for Informix database
Peter Chang said: > > I was wondering if there are any benchmarking tool that I can use to > calculate TPM of an Informix database on a particular server? I seem to recall that it's possible to download the TPC benchmarks from www.tpc.org ...? But the best benchmark is your own application and something like a load runner robot. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH &qu...

Web resources about - Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #3 - comp.databases.informix

Filesystem in Userspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Filesystem in Userspace ( FUSE ) is an operating system mechanism for Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create ...

Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode geschrieben. ...

XFS: Recent and Future Adventures in Filesystem Scalability - Dave Chinner - YouTube
Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to ...

Former Google engineer revs up a new Linux filesystem
An ex-Googler is writing a file system, Bcachefs, to match the speed of traditional Linux file systems with the advanced scalability and reliability ...

Opinion: Why a visible filesystem in iOS is key if the iPad Pro is to be a true PC replacement
... Jobs Continue reading more about Apple Inc , Steve Jobs , and Opinion at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Opinion: Why a visible filesystem ...

P2P-like Tahoe filesystem offers secure storage in the cloud
Tahoe is a secure cloud filesystem that is licensed under the GPL. Its …

Bcachefs is a new speed-focus Linux filesystem from Kent Overstreet
... Kent Overstreet a little over five years ago. Now the Linux kernel block layer cache is being used as the basis for a new open source filesystem. ...

Filesystem Metadata Doesn't Scale
Metadata tucked away inside a binary file.. isn't. But Windows Media Player doesn't care a whit about my painstakingly constructed file names ...

iPhone Hackers: "we have owned the filesystem"
The kooky hacking kids over at IRC channel #iphone claim to have gained full ownership of the iPhone filesystem. In an update titled 'How to ...

Red Hat Releases RHEL 7 With New Filesystem, Docker Support
After three and a half years in development, a major milestone update for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat's flagship Linux platform, debuts. ...