RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #5

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org
[mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:59 AM
To: informix-list@iiug.org
Subject: Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem

Funnily enough, your idea to create a soft link in /dev from the old
device to the new device/location is exactly what I was planning to do
if I couldn't find a 'better' solution.

Based on this thread, I may well have to go down that route...

My Informix knowledge is very limited....!?!

What I will probably do is:

1.  create the soft link from /dev to get informix up and running on a
different machine.
2.  On this new machine: Add a mirror chunk to each dbspace and drop
the original mirror to effectively relocate the databse to the
filesystem.

If I have no joy with step 2, I will run with the soft link from /dev.

This will have to be documented well so that if someone destroys /dev
(through devfsadm or similar) then the links can be recreated easily.
Its not ideal but its preferable to unloading and reloading the whole
database, which has its own risks.

Thanks for the advice..

Matt

onbar has a -rename option...
sending to informix-list
0
Campbell

RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
In the past we have used Informix's internal mirroring capabilities to move to new disk arrays. This should also work to move from raw to cooked disks. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]On Behalf Of mccmx@hotmail.com Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 9:26 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a w...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #4
True there are issues but it's a easy solution to the problem, gets round the 'can not rename chunks' issue, no need to hassle about mirroring etc But the original post said going to internal disks so there will not be a name clash. On 10/17/05, Paul Watson <pwatson@irace.com> wrote: > > On 17 Oct 2005 15:26:36 -0700, david@smooth1.co.uk <david@smooth1.co.uk> > wrote: > > > > > > Paul Watson wrote: > > > If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from > > the > > >...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #3
If the device is 'not going to exist anymore' why not dd the data from the old slice to the internal disk and then just link the 'not going to exist anymore device' to the new location On 10/17/05, Fernando Nunes <spam@domus.online.pt> wrote: > > Clive Eisen wrote: > > mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > > > >> > >> I don't neccesarily need to move them off raw slices, but I do need to > >> move them to different slices. This is because I am moving the > >> database from SAN storage to internal disks... So...

Re: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #2
Why pay someone ??? It's a trivial task On 10/17/05, Neil Truby <neil.truby@ardenta.com> wrote: > > <mccmx@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:1129561344.240798.314750@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Thats sounds promising. > > > > So effectively add a mirrored chunk to each dbspace using onspaces and > > then drop the original chunk. > > > > Can you do this for the rootdbs dbspace too...? > > > > Matt > > > > If it's a production system you might be better off paying someone who &...

Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem
Is there any way I can relocate my IDS 7.31 database from its raw slices to the local filesystem...? I can 'dd' the slices to files easily, but I need a way of telling Informix the new location of the chunks. This seems straigtforward for the rootdbs (which is defined in onconfig), but what about the other chunks..? I want to avoid unloading and reloading the data. All I want to do is move the physical chunks.. onstat -d: Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.31.UC5 -- On-Line -- Up 2 days 14:38:28 -- 40768 Kbytes Dbspaces address number flags fchunk n...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

RE: Crystal 8.5 and informix database
I have had Visio limit the number of tables shown, but always assumed it was a program limitation. Rational worked so the ODBC driver was OK....I think. Hmmm. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Paulo Ferreira Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 9:21 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Crystal 8.5 and informix database Thanks, but once again this is not the case. Please continue send more reasons. Thanks. Paulo Ferreira "SaltTan" <SaltTan@gmail.com> escreveu na mensage...

You could try issuing the following statement and see what the engine is configured for. onstat -g env This will give you the environment of the engine. I believe it is listed there what the locale is set to. David -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of bobkot@gmail.com Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:28 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver] Database locale information mismatch I have download ClientSDK 2.90.TC4 I am trying to connect to an IDS10 database. My ...

Informix Training for New Informix Database Administrators
Folks, Art Kagel and I will be teaching our Informix Training course for New Informix Database Administrators, March 5-8, 2012. Attend the class in person or online via our Web Training Center. This course is for database administrators, programmers, and technical support personnel who will be setting up, managing, and tuning Informix 11 or 10 databases. Course Outline: http://www.advancedatatools.com/Training/OutlineInformixIDSforDBAs.html Course Schedule and Registration: http://www.advancedatatools.com/Training/InformixTraining.html Participant Quote: "I recently had ...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe sp...

Web resources about - RE: Relocate Informix database from Raw slices to filesystem #5 - comp.databases.informix

Filesystem in Userspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Filesystem in Userspace ( FUSE ) is an operating system mechanism for Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create ...

Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode geschrieben. ...

XFS: Recent and Future Adventures in Filesystem Scalability - Dave Chinner - YouTube
Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to ...

Former Google engineer revs up a new Linux filesystem
An ex-Googler is writing a file system, Bcachefs, to match the speed of traditional Linux file systems with the advanced scalability and reliability ...

Ars walkthrough: Using the ZFS next-gen filesystem on Linux
ZFS is slightly more modern and complicated than this, stay with us. flickr user: MightyBoyBrian In my last article on next-gen filesystems ...

Bcachefs is a new speed-focus Linux filesystem from Kent Overstreet
... Kent Overstreet a little over five years ago. Now the Linux kernel block layer cache is being used as the basis for a new open source filesystem. ...

Filesystem Metadata Doesn't Scale
Metadata tucked away inside a binary file.. isn't. But Windows Media Player doesn't care a whit about my painstakingly constructed file names ...

iPhone Hackers: "we have owned the filesystem"
The kooky hacking kids over at IRC channel #iphone claim to have gained full ownership of the iPhone filesystem. In an update titled 'How to ...

Red Hat Releases RHEL 7 With New Filesystem, Docker Support
After three and a half years in development, a major milestone update for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat's flagship Linux platform, debuts. ...

Filesystem API · kripken/emscripten Wiki · GitHub
emscripten - Emscripten: An LLVM-to-JavaScript Compiler