[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Maintenance support #2

Hi Andre,

I cant say a percentage increase for new one because our old contract
with CA was much different. As we are an University, CA had some kinds
of contract much interesting when it was assigned (ten years ago). As
our contract with CA ended up last month, we are negotiating with CA
(for CA products) and with Ingres (for Ingres products).

>  You'd think since Ingres is free and maintenance was optional,
>  the cost would be reasonable.

I don't know if Ingres is so free as you are saying. It's not so clear
to me. May be someone can explain more about this. I've understood
Ingres 2006 is free only when using the Ingres Community Edition, which
is not appropriate to use in production with mission critical system.
And, it does not have maintenance support, i.e., I cant contract some
support for this version with Ingres Corp., at least it was the info I
received from an Ingres' person.

Leandro Fava
DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br
Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org
Fone: +55 51 3717 7636

0
Leandro
5/30/2006 1:17:42 PM
comp.databases.ingres 5857 articles. 0 followers. specially (35) is leader. Post Follow

On 2006-05-30, Leandro Pinto Fava <leandro@unisc.br> wrote:

>>  You'd think since Ingres is free and maintenance was optional,
>>  the cost would be reasonable.
>
> I don't know if Ingres is so free as you are saying. It's not so clear
> to me. May be someone can explain more about this. I've understood
> Ingres 2006 is free only when using the Ingres Community Edition, which
> is not appropriate to use in production with mission critical system.
> And, it does not have maintenance support, i.e., I cant contract some
> support for this version with Ingres Corp., at least it was the info I
> received from an Ingres' person.

That is in line with what I've learned from my talks with CA.
You want to use Ingres in production, you purchase a commercial
license.

--
Emiliano
0
"Emiliano" <emile@iris-advies.nl> wrote in message
> On 2006-05-30, Leandro Pinto Fava <leandro@unisc.br> wrote:
>
>>>  You'd think since Ingres is free and maintenance was optional,
>>>  the cost would be reasonable.
>>
>> I don't know if Ingres is so free as you are saying. It's not so clear
>> to me. May be someone can explain more about this. I've understood
>> Ingres 2006 is free only when using the Ingres Community Edition, which
>> is not appropriate to use in production with mission critical system.
>> And, it does not have maintenance support, i.e., I cant contract some
>> support for this version with Ingres Corp., at least it was the info I
>> received from an Ingres' person.
>
> That is in line with what I've learned from my talks with CA.
> You want to use Ingres in production, you purchase a commercial
> license.

There is a lot of imprecision here, so its hard to say all these comments
are wrong, but some sure aren't right.

It is certainly true that you cannot contract for support of the "community
edition" (from Ingres Corporation--that might change in time and I hope it
does).

But, you DO NOT need a commercial license to run Ingres 2006 in production.
There are reasons some customers might want a so-called "Enterprise License"
for it, but most end-user customers will be entirely satisfied with a
*subscription*.

An Ingres 2006 subscription gets you: certified binaries, 24x7 technical
support, legal indemnification, and access to updates.  That is all you need
to run most businesses.

Roy Hann (rhann at rationalcommerce dot com)
Rational Commerce Ltd.
www.rationalcommerce.cm
"Ingres development, tuning, and training experts"
Ingres Corporation Partner

0
Roy
6/6/2006 9:19:55 AM
Roy Hann wrote:

> But, you DO NOT need a commercial license to run Ingres 2006 in production.
> There are reasons some customers might want a so-called "Enterprise License"
> for it, but most end-user customers will be entirely satisfied with a
> *subscription*.

I stand corrected: I was indeed quoted a price for a subscription.

Emile
0
Emiliano

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Ingres Resources #2
Hi all, Good news, the knowledge base is back. It is within Ingres Service Desk. http://servicedesk.ingres.com:8080/CAisd/pdmweb.ingres Many thanks to the folks who did this job. Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 > -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Paul Blondel > Enviada em: Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:16 PM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: Re: [Info-ingres] Ingres Resources...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Maintenance support
Hi gareth, > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Gareth Williams > Enviada em: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:56 AM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: [Info-ingres] Maintenance support > > Can anyone tell me why I have to pay more for Ingres support > through Ingres than I did through CA? I really don't know. > > Has anyone else found that their support costs have gone up? Yes. We got some absurd prices here. In our case its more expensive than Oracle. We are expecting there was a mistake. We are awaiting for some new contact from Ingres Corp to renew a contract for Ingres. > > Basically we'll be looking at moving from Ingres if this continues. Unfortunately, we have the same perspective if it was not a mistake. I don't have much arguments to talk with my boss to continue using Ingres if its cost goes up. Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 ...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] SQL Injection attacks
> -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Emiliano > Enviada em: Monday, June 12, 2006 10:06 AM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: Re: [Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] SQL Injection attacks > > On 2006-06-12, Leandro Pinto Fava <leandro@unisc.br> wrote: > > Three years ago we had a case of SQL Injection against our web portal of > > students's info. This portal was made using ICE and reports in 1999 > > (with very bad security control). Now we have this portal made in PHP > > and the possibility of SQL injection is nearly null (I think :-(). We > > had another web application (ASP) that suffered a successful SQL > > injetcion too. The problems were corrected as well. > > And (to hook into the delightful discussion I'm having with Roy), I'll > bet you dimes to dollars that both were using query assembly. The ASP app was, but the ICE app was not directly. Report Writer internally should work with query assembly when passing parameters to run a report. > > The PHP function addslashes ought to protect you if you use it > consistently. PHP ADODb has parameter binds, which are better. Yes. > > > In our case the problems were in the application layer. > > HTML injection? No, when I said application layer, I wanted to say the problem ...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Ingres Resources
> De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Paul Blondel > > Leandro Pinto Fava wrote: > > where can I search in a knowledge base for Ingres solutions? It > > seems the knowledge base in service desk at ingres.com does not have > > info. > > Unfortunately it does not work at all. Keep an eye on it and > it may burst into life in the next little while. Thanks Paul. I will keep an eye on it. Regarding to Ingres Tech Notes, it looks like a dejavu. In 2004 Martin asked: http://groups.goog...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] What animal should Ingres be?
Hi Richard, Look at this thread at ingres user forum: http://opensource.ca.com/projects/ingres/forum/10/155066963401/ Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 > -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de rthdavid > Enviada em: Monday, November 21, 2005 1:32 PM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: [Info-ingres] What animal should Ingres be? > > If MySQL is a dolphin and PostgreSQL is an e...

[Info-ingres] RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres #2
Hi Troy, iidbdb journals are not that big. In one of my larger installations, 3 days worth of journals takes 112Mb for the transaction database and 200Kb for iidbdb. I think in Ingres 2.6 you can keep 100 checkpoints in the history. Paul -----Original Message----- From: Anderson, Troy E. [mailto:AndersonTE@bvsg.com] Sent: Monday, 17 January 2005 3:57 PM To: Paul Mason Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres Hi Paul, Thanks for the information! I do have a question: I checkpoint the iidbdb daily with th...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Re: What animal should Ingres be?
Hi Paul, I agree totally with you Ingres needs a promotion strategy (urgently). For me the one of the main issue to try change this "perception" is to promote the use of Ingres for ISVs. There are many of then adapting their software to use open source technology (OS, Database, Development tools, etc.), and this is a great opportunity to grow up the use of Ingres. Here I know around ten software vendors (medium size) which are doing this move. And most of then are moving to use MySQL, PostgreSQL and Firebird. Unhappily, Ingres is so unknown it is not being considered a...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] CA World Ingres Sessions
> -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de David Richard > Enviada em: Friday, December 09, 2005 9:21 AM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: [Info-ingres] CA World Ingres Sessions > Prioridade: Alta > > Hi Gang, > > Does anyone know where I can download copies of Ingres World > 2005 Ingres Sessions? Try this link: https://agendas.ca.com/sessionpresentation.asp Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iu...

[Info-ingres] RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres
Hi Paul, Thanks for the information! I do have a question: I checkpoint the iidbdb daily with the -d flag, so the journal files don't exist for me that far back (to cover all of 2004). If I weren't using the -d flag, how far back would Ingres track Journal/Checkpoint information? Indefinitely? I have a limited amount of space in my jnl file system, so I doubt I could keep a year's work of jnl files for that database even if I weren't using the -d flag. Thanks, Troy -----Original Message----- From: Paul Mason [mailto:latepaul@gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, Jan...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Ingres + Terminal Emulation, What's best??
> > Hi, I thought I'd start a new thread to ask these questions. > I use a PC to access our Solaris box which has Ingres installed. > > What's the best terminal emulation software to use? Is > there any decent free software? > > What are the best TERM_INFO settings to sensibly map the PC's > keyboard into something usable in the ingres character based > visual tools? > > I'm sure I've seen ISQL in colour when I was on a course at > CA a few years back, how was this achieved? > > Your opinions please! > Cheers, > Michael We use PuTTY. I have made a customization in termcap file and a customized map file with some entries to use F1=PF1, F2=PF2, F11=PF16=Go, etc. and it works fine. If you want I can send a copy of files and I can explain how I implemented. Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 ...

[Info-ingres] RES: RES: [Info-ingres] temporary table
> Before executing a query plan, the tables involved are checked to see > if they have changed. Changed in this case means that either > the table > definition changed, or the number of pages (table size) has changed > sufficiently. (I'm not sure what the trigger is.) When this happens, > QEF throws away the query plan and sends the query back > through parsing and optimization again. > > If this happens more than N times in a row without a successful > execution, the US1265 message appears. N used to be small, like 3; > I'm fairly su...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Friday Silly Benchmark Competition #2
I ran the test again and the result is: real 0m4.870s user 0m0.010s sys 0m0.040s Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 > -----Mensagem original----- > De: m-angel [mailto:lobetano@gmail.com] > Enviada em: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:55 AM > Para: Leandro Pinto Fava > Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: Re: [Info-ingres] Friday Silly Benchmark Competition > > > > > your time is the real ,user or sys? > > > 2006/3/17, Leandro Pi...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] QEPs
Hi Gareth, Set optimizeonly; Set qep; <Query statement>; HTH. Leandro Fava DBA Universidade de Santa Cruz do Sul-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 > -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Gareth Williams > Enviada em: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:56 AM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: [Info-ingres] QEPs > > Anyone know how to retrieve a query execution plan without > actually executing the query? > > Cheers ...

[Info-ingres] FW: [Info-ingres] File size (2 GB) limit when using AIX Version 5.1 with Ingres 2.6/0305
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C50ED1.33C08D7F Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi David, =20 This usually means that the Unix account you are using has a file size limit (seen via ulimit -a (your account's soft limit) or ulimit -aH (your account's hard limit)) that is stopping you from creating that big of a file. Your root user can adjust your account's file size limit via the smitty utility program to allow you to create files greater than 2gb. My Ingres acc...

[Info-ingres] SV: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres in the news
Well in the updated profile for Mark Berrenchea (www.ingres.com Board of Directors) after he switched from CA to Garnett & Helfrich, and Sam Greenblatt takes over of CA's Board membership it says that he's now responsible for Europe, Asia so hopefully something will happen in the close future, But as all others we're waiting. Mark Barrenechea joined Garnett & Helfrich Capital as a director effective June 19, 2006. Barrenechea will help expand the firm's investments into Europe and Asia in the emerging segment of Venture Buyouts, partnering with large technology co...

[Info-Ingres] ingres 2.0 to Ingres 2006
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C8836C.77ECD4C1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable All =20 I'm going to unloaddb on Ingres 2.0 and then reload into Ingres 2006 =20 I have an open road 3.5 app, could I point that at Ingres 2006 without any issues? =20 Anyone know of any gotchas? =20 Cheers =20 Gareth Cymraeg:-=20 Mae'r neges hon yn gyfrinachol nad chi yw'r derbynnydd y bwriedid y neges= =20ar ei gyfer, byddwch mor garedig =E2 rhoi gwybod i'r anfonydd yn ddi-oed. Dylid ystyried un rhywd datganiadau neu sylwadau= =20a wneir uchod yn rhai personol,ac nid o angen rhaid yn rhai o=20 eiddo Ymddiriedolaeth GIG Bro Morgannwg, nac unrhyw ran gyfansoddol ohoni= =20na chorff cysylltiedig. Cofiwch fod yn ymwybodol ei bod yn bosibl y bydd disgwyl i Ymddiriedolaet= h GIG Bro Morgannwg roi cyhoeddusrwydd i gynnwys unrhyw ebost neu=20 ohebiaeth a dderbynnir, yn unol ag amodau'r Ddeddf Rhyddid Gwybodaeth 200= 0. I gael mwy o wybodaeth am Ryddid Gwybodaeth, cofiwch gyfeirio=20 at wefan Ymddiriedolaeth GIG Bro Morgannwg ar www.bromor-tr.wales.nhs.uk English:-=20 This message is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of th= e message then please notify the sender immediately.=20 Any of the statements or comments made above should be regarded as person= al and not necessarily those of Bro Morgannwg NHS Trust, any=20 const...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] temporary table
Hi, coincidently I got this error today too. I never seen this error before. It was raised while running a batch process (many inserts using temporary tables). Some info: Ingres II 2.6/0305 (rs4.us5/00) Patch 9695 AIX 5.1 The database which this batch process was running is a test database. The batch process was running alone at that moment. SERPENS ::[48036 , 3d37a200]: Fri Apr 8 12:53:19 2005 E_US1265_4709 Database reorganization activity has rendered the query plan invalid. Try again after the db activity is complete. In case of dynamic SQL, the statement mu...

[Info-Ingres] Upgrading from Ingres 2.6 to Ingres 2006- version 9.2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C9A6A4.5258B9C4 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have finally decided to move to the new version of the dbms- does anyone think Ingres 9.2 is too new to move to? How long has it been out there? Thanks, =20Robert Confidentiality/Privilege Notice: This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you= =20are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify th= e sender at Ports of Auckland Limited. Any use, disclosure, copying, dist= ribution or retention of this communication is strictly prohibited. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C9A6A4.5258B9C4 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"> <HTML> <HEAD> <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-asci= i"> <META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 6.5.7652.2= 4"> <TITLE>Upgrading from Ingres 2.6 to Ingres 2006- version 9.2</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <!-- Converted from text/rtf format --> <P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We have finally dec= ided to move to the new version of the dbms-&nbsp; does an...

Re: [Info-Ingres] Upgrading from Ingres 2.6 to Ingres 2006- version9.2
I will be out of the office now until Wednesday 25th March, and will respond to your e-mail as soon as I can upon my return. If the matter is urgent, please raise a call via the ICT Helpdesk. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of the London Borough of Havering, are confidential, may be subject to legal privilege and are intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above. Any unauthorised use, retention, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. WARNING: It is your responsibility to take all necessary steps to ensure this e-mail and any attachments to it are free from viruses. ...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] AIX compiler question ...
Hi Mike, I don't know where this is documented, but I can say we are using gcc 3.3.1 with Ingres 2.6 on AIX 5.1 for ESQLC programs with no problem. Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 > -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Michael Leo > Enviada em: Friday, December 02, 2005 2:59 PM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: [Info-ingres] AIX compiler question ... > > Gang, >...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] SQL Injection attacks
> -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Roy Hann > Enviada em: Monday, June 12, 2006 6:37 AM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: [Info-ingres] SQL Injection attacks > > Would I be very far wrong to claim that there has never been > a successful > SQL Injection attack on an Ingres database via an Internet-connected > application? Three years ago we had a case of SQL Injection against our web portal of students's info. This portal was made using ICE and reports in 1999 (with very bad security control). Now we have this portal made in PHP and the possibility of SQL injection is nearly null (I think :-(). We had another web application (ASP) that suffered a successful SQL injetcion too. The problems were corrected as well. > > I'd have thought that the fact that the server doesn't understand and > doesn't expect statement separators would have made such an > attack pretty > nearly impossible. Comments? In our case the problems were in the application layer. Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 "Leandro Pinto Fava" <leandro@unisc.br> wrote in message news:mailman.1150112221.25413.info-ingres@cariboulake.com... > Three years ago we had a case of SQL Injection against our web port...

RE: [Info-Ingres] Ingres R3 Support for Linux 2.6 Kernel? #2
Leavell Although I've not (yet) done any serious testing, I've successfully run the R3 and SuSE 9.1 configuration for a couple of weeks without noticing any problems. Mark -----Original Message----- From: Lucky Leavell [mailto:ingrnews@unixpress.com] Sent: 20 August 2004 15:27 To: info-ingres@ams.org Subject: [Info-Ingres] Ingres R3 Support for Linux 2.6 Kernel? I just downloaaded Ingres R3 for Linux and noticed it only supports (is supported by?) the Linux 2.4 kernel. When will a version for the 2.6 kernel be available? (Guess it is a good thing I have ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database #2
I am not doing a creeping one. It just allows a copy of the up-to-date journals and last ckp file etc. to be ready for A rollforward when required. -----Original Message----- From: martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk [mailto:martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk] Sent: Wednesday, 8 June 2005 8:12 p.m. To: Robert Allely; 'chloe.crowder@bl.uk' Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database Hi Robert, Chloe etc. I'm not sure if I have a full grasp on whether or not Robert was doing a 'creeping' rollforward or not, but just in case, I'd like to get on the Ol' Soap Box for a moment. Its one thing to set up a DR system using rollforwarddb from a checkpoint/journal etc. Thats a perfectly simple and natural thing to do. But Its quite another to use rollforwarddb from some point and then transfer over more journals and do a 'creeping' rollforwarddb -c +j '#f' - b... [-norollback] ....And then automate the process, ....allowing for errors such as: * the rollforwarddb being locked out by another process, * the possibility of a database being flagged as inconsistent on the DR site - which is very probable. * A breakdown in the transport of a journal or other essential file between the hosts. scp/rcp/ftp failure. * A journal being written to by the primary host archiver as it was transferred to the DR host. Whats that (unsupported) trace point to force ...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Re: Copy table options ?
> > Is it possible to retrieve the column names on the first > row of the output > > file ? > > No. But you can use the d1 format to prefix each value with > the name of the > column. (That will bloat the output file quite massively, > but in an age > when one risks looking like a fuddy-duddy for objecting to > using a 1Gb XML > file to transfer 400kb (I've seen it done), maybe I shouldn't > fuss about > it.) > > And of course you could use genxml. Or you could use the -v > flag to tell > sql not to out...

Web resources about - [Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Maintenance support #2 - comp.databases.ingres