[Info-Ingres] Upgrading from Ingres 2.6 to Ingres 2006- version 9.2

------_=_NextPart_001_01C9A6A4.5258B9C4

We have finally decided to move to the new version of the dbms-  does
anyone think Ingres 9.2 is too new to move to? How long has it been out
there?

Thanks,
=20Robert

Confidentiality/Privilege Notice:
This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you=
=20are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify th=
e sender at Ports of Auckland Limited. Any use, disclosure, copying, dist=
ribution or retention of this communication is strictly prohibited.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C9A6A4.5258B9C4

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-asci=
i">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 6.5.7652.2=
4">
<TITLE>Upgrading from Ingres 2.6 to Ingres 2006- version 9.2</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We have finally dec=
ided to move to the new version of the dbms-&nbsp; does anyone think Ingr=
es 9.2 is too new to move to? How long has it been out there?</FONT></SPA=
N></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks,</FONT></SPA=

<BR><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;Robert</FONT=
></SPAN><SPAN LANG=3D"en-nz"></SPAN>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><STRONG>Confidentialit=
y/Privilege=20
Notice:</STRONG><B><BR></B>This communication is confidential and may be =
legally=20
privileged.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If you are not=
=20the=20
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender at Por=
ts of=20
Auckland Limited. Any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or retention=
=20of=20
this communication is strictly prohibited.</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C9A6A4.5258B9C4--
0
Robert
3/17/2009 2:01:44 AM
comp.databases.ingres 5857 articles. 0 followers. specially (35) is leader. Post Follow

Robert Allely wrote:

> We have finally decided to move to the new version of the dbms-  does
> anyone think Ingres 9.2 is too new to move to? How long has it been out
> there?

It's been GA since December.  So far I've not encountered any serious
problems, but we're not using any of its new features in production yet.

--
Roy

UK Ingres User Association Conference 2009 will be on Tuesday June 9, 2009

Roy
3/17/2009 7:43:46 AM
So you are using it in production then?

Robert

> We have finally decided to move to the new version of the dbms-  does
> anyone think Ingres 9.2 is too new to move to? How long has it been
> out there?

It's been GA since December.  So far I've not encountered any serious
problems, but we're not using any of its new features in production yet.

--
Roy

UK Ingres User Association Conference 2009 will be on Tuesday June 9,
Confidentiality/Privilege Notice:
This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender at Ports of Auckland Limited. Any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or retention of this communication is strictly prohibited.

0
Robert
3/17/2009 7:20:02 PM
Robert Allely wrote:

> So you are using it in production then?

Not yet; we're still running application regression tests in a
pre-live environment.

--
Roy

UK Ingres User Association Conference 2009 will be on Tuesday June 9, 2009

Roy
3/17/2009 7:41:22 PM
OK its hard for us to decide which release to go to, I would prefer the
latest version - if you had the choice would you
choose 9.1 rather than 9.2 given that we want to use it in production in
a few months from now.

Robert

Not yet; we're still running application regression tests in a pre-live
environment.

--
Roy

UK Ingres User Association Conference 2009 will be on Tuesday June 9,
Confidentiality/Privilege Notice:
This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender at Ports of Auckland Limited. Any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or retention of this communication is strictly prohibited.

0
Robert
3/17/2009 8:14:03 PM
On Mar 17, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Robert Allely wrote:

> OK its hard for us to decide which release to go to, I would prefer
> the
> latest version - if you had the choice would you
> choose 9.1 rather than 9.2 given that we want to use it in
> production in
> a few months from now.

Bug-fix wise, I think there is very little to choose between 9.1 and
9.2;
at least as far as the code lines are concerned.  (I have no idea when
releases are built, so I can't comment on whether any particular 9.1.x
is better or worse than any particular 9.2.x.)  Bug fixes are propagated
around the various code lines much much MUCH faster and better than they
used to be.

I guess I am saying go for 9.2 unless someone who knows both 9.2 and
your specific site requirements can say otherwise.

Whatever you go for, make sure you turn opf_hash_join back on if you
have it off.  :-)

Karl

PS Until Datallegro went to the Evi... er I mean Microsoft, we were
running a deviant of 9.1 in production at customers and in POC's.
While there are still significant code differences between our
9.1 and everyone else's 9.1, I believe all of the bug fixes with
a couple very minor exceptions are back in the Ingres Corp code;
and have been for some months now.  My impression would be that
9.x is as stable and a lot faster than 2.6, but our tables made
very little use of storage structures or secondary indexes.
0
Karl

Re: [Info-Ingres] Upgrading from Ingres 2.6 to Ingres 2006- version9.2
I will be out of the office now until Wednesday 25th March, and will respond to your e-mail as soon as I can upon my return. If the matter is urgent, please raise a call via the ICT Helpdesk. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of the London Borough of Havering, are confidential, may be subject to legal privilege and are intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above. Any unauthorised use, retention, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. WARNING: It is your responsibility to take all necessary steps to ensure this e-mail and any attachments to it are free from viruses. ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Ingres Upgrade from Version 2.0 to Version 2.6 #2
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C52E34.1F3A78F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit You can carry a cold backup of an Ingres database (offline checkpoint) quite easily as follows:- PROCEDURE (NOT Supported by CA) 1. Use infodb to identify ALL data locations 2. ingstop 3. Remove ALL underlying database files:- 4. For each data_loc# do cd <data_loc#>; rm * Recover the underlying da...

[Info-ingres] Ingres Upgrade from Version 2.0 to Version 2.6
As part of our current DR strategy we copy the checkpoint, dump and journal files to the DR server on a daily basis and rollforward the database. As part of the upgrade plan we are looking at upgrading the DR server first and a week later upgrading the live server. Does anybody know if a checkpoint, dump and journal files produced under Ingres 2.0 can be used on Ingres 2.6. Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks Gregory Wilding UK North Midlands Solutions Centre Abney Park Manchester Road Cheadle Cheshire SK8 2PD Tel +44 (0) 161 495 3488 Fax +44(0) 161 428 ...

[Info-Ingres] Upgrade from Ingres 2.6 SP5 to Ingres 2006 r2
Hi: I am testing the upgrade process from Ingres 2.6 sp2 over tru64 5.1b to Ingres 2006 r2 (installing Ingres 2006 r2 directly over 2.6 installation) I have an error trying to startup ingres before upgradedb command. The error: E_CL2514_CS_ESCAPED_EXCEPTION, starting the recovery process. Any help will be welcomed Regards Oscar -- Lic. Oscar Carl�s Barriocanal Director de Servicios al Cliente �ntegra S.R.L. Telefax: (595 21) 424473 RA Asunci�n - Paraguay ...

Re: [Info-ingres] Ingres Upgrade from Version 2.0 to Version 2.6
At 3:50 PM +0000 3/21/2005, Wilding, Gregory wrote: >As part of our current DR strategy we copy the checkpoint, dump and journal >files to the DR server on a daily basis and rollforward the database. As >part of the upgrade plan we are looking at upgrading the DR server first and >a week later upgrading the live server. > >Does anybody know if a checkpoint, dump and journal files produced under >Ingres 2.0 can be used on Ingres 2.6. No, they can't. Karl ...

Re: [Info-Ingres] Upgrade from Ingres 2.6 SP5 to Ingres 2006 r2
I will be out of the office now until Monday 4th August, and will respond to your e-mail as soon as I can upon my return. If the matter is urgent, please raise a call via the ICT Helpdesk. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of the London Borough of Havering, are confidential, may be subject to legal privilege and are intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above. Any unauthorised use, retention, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and de...

[Info-ingres] FW: [Info-ingres] File size (2 GB) limit when using AIX Version 5.1 with Ingres 2.6/0305
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C50ED1.33C08D7F Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi David, =20 This usually means that the Unix account you are using has a file size limit (seen via ulimit -a (your account's soft limit) or ulimit -aH (your account's hard limit)) that is stopping you from creating that big of a file. Your root user can adjust your account's file size limit via the smitty utility program to allow you to create files greater than 2gb. My Ingres acc...

[Info-ingres] Ingres 2.0 upgrade to 2.6
Hello, I'm planning on making the above upgrade in the very near future and wanted to ask for gotchas/suggestions, before starting. I've got the 2.6 SP2 from CA and the Migration Guide, which indicates an upgradedb is the preferred method for this task. This will be running on Win2000. Aside from iidbdb and imadb, there's only one other db, mk, with 2775 tables. There are 325 views, a couple of procedures, and that's about it. Any thoughts you can offer will be greatly appreciated! We've got several MK users in our group who are talking of moving from Ingre...

[Info-ingres] Problem after upgrade to Ingres 2.6 #2
Pretty sure we've seen the same problem on R3; I believe the fix may have been to install the correct C compiler, fix up the path or LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or possibly something to do with the abflnk.opt file. Only the last possibility applies if you are doing an upgrade, preserving the II_SYSTEM onto the same machine & OS. Can you compile the ESQL/C program without make? HTH. ----- Original Message ----- Message: 6 From: "Wilding, Gregory" <gregory.wilding@eds.com> To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:00:27 +0100 Subject: [Info-ingre...

[Info-Ingres] ingres 2.0 to Ingres 2006
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C8836C.77ECD4C1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable All =20 I'm going to unloaddb on Ingres 2.0 and then reload into Ingres 2006 =20 I have an open road 3.5 app, could I point that at Ingres 2006 without any issues? =20 Anyone know of any gotchas? =20 Cheers =20 Gareth Cymraeg:-=20 Mae'r neges hon yn gyfrinachol nad chi yw'r derbynnydd y bwriedid y neges= =20ar ei gyfer, byddwch mor garedig =E2 rhoi gwybod i'r anfonydd yn...

[Info-ingres] RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres #2
Hi Troy, iidbdb journals are not that big. In one of my larger installations, 3 days worth of journals takes 112Mb for the transaction database and 200Kb for iidbdb. I think in Ingres 2.6 you can keep 100 checkpoints in the history. Paul -----Original Message----- From: Anderson, Troy E. [mailto:AndersonTE@bvsg.com] Sent: Monday, 17 January 2005 3:57 PM To: Paul Mason Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres Hi Paul, Thanks for the information! I do have a question: I checkpoint the iidbdb daily with th...

[Info-Ingres] Go back from Ingres 9.1.1-103 to Ingres 2.6, tru64
Este es un mensaje con varias partes en formato MIME. ------=_NextPart_000_0081_01C9C591.07BA9D10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi all! =20 I am in the process of upgrading from Ingres 2.6 to Ingres 9.1.1-103 = (Ingres 2006 r2) on a tru64 5.1b box, production environment. For this, I have two identical machines (same OS, same ingres configuration,etc), one I use for production environment and the other = is for contingency pourpose. My plan is make upgrade to 2006, directly over production machine; = before this I am going to have a snapshot of DBs over the contingency machine. Suppose the upgrade process is success and production environment is = active and transactions are processed over Ingres 9.1.1 version and after a few hours I have performance problems or whatever occurs and I have to go = back to Ingres 2.6 version. For this, I have data snapshot on Ingres 2.6 on contingency machine, before 2006 is going to production, but new transactions is on Ingres 9.1.1 machine. What I need to know is if it is possible to use journals files from = 9.1.1 version, copy them to Ingres 2.6 installation and perform a = rollforwarddb on 2.6 in order to have again Ingres 2.6 data up to date? =20 Many thanks for your help =20 Regards =20 Oscar =20 =20 Lic. Oscar Carl=E9s Barriocanal ITIL V3 Certified Director de Servicios =CDntegra SRL ...

[Info-Ingres] upgrade ingres to ingres 2006

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Ingres Resources #2
Hi all, Good news, the knowledge base is back. It is within Ingres Service Desk. http://servicedesk.ingres.com:8080/CAisd/pdmweb.ingres Many thanks to the folks who did this job. Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 > -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Paul Blondel > Enviada em: Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:16 PM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: Re: [Info-ingres] Ingres Resources...

[Info-Ingres] Ingres 2.6 SP6 versus 9.2.x
After looking at all feature addition and enhancements, and realising that Standard Support versus Extended Support could mean a difference in license fees, and also that 2.6 is 32-bit and 9.2.0 is 64-bit (on Solaris) so that might be a additional edge, what would be the other most compelling reason(s) to make one move from up, especially if your installation is sitting there working fine, for your application, without problems? Is there a benchmark on performance between the various version of Ingres? Thanks, David. -- ----------------------------------------- David G. Brooks Senior Systems Consultant Vision Systems Software (P.O. Box 804, Bridgetown) Omega Building - Suite 5 Dayrells Court Business Centre Dayrells Road Christ Church BB14030 BARBADOS URL: http://www.VisionSystemsSoftware.com/ Tel: (246) 431-0193 - Work (246) 266-8732 - Cel (246) 436-1417 - Home Fax: (246) 431-0192 - Work ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified. It just means my answers are from experience, not a book. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hi David, I take the point that it's possible to make a case to *not* upgrade a stable, working application. Many of the Ingres enhancements (and there are some nice ones: http://community.ingres.com/wiki/Ingres_New_Features_Per_Release) have to be coded-in...

[Info-Ingres] Ingres Corporation releases Beta for Ingres 2006 rls 2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C73B1F.958D2E72 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable =20 =20 Ingres Community Notice=20 =20 <http://images.postsnet.com/729663988/ingr1157136539081.gif> =09 Ingres Corporation releases Ingres 2006 rls 2 Beta =20 for the Windows x86 platform.=20 =20 Ingres Corporation is pleased to launch the beta version of the Ingres 2006 rls 2 Windows platform.=20 With this latest update, the Ingres Development team has focused on the foll...

RE: [Info-ingres] Ingres 2.6 on Solaris #2
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6046F.26610010 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-2" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Solaris 2.6 II 2.6/0305 (su4.us5/00) Patch 10402=20 =20 No unplanned downtime in last 6 months ;-)) (Last downtime I have recorded is from 2004, but I could miss = something. 6 months for sure.) Regards, Artur Fajok _____ =20 From: Gareth Williams [mailto:Gareth.Williams@bromor-tr.wales.n...

[Info-ingres] Problem after upgrade to Ingres 2.6
> Dear All, > > We are upgrading Ingres from 2.0 to 2.6. > > We also develop some of our software using ABF, and have found post-upgrade that any attempt to recompile and link an ABF application results in a Link failure 2310. > Compiling an embedded C program using the 'make -f ' command and C compiler ver 4.2 also fails. > > Has anyone experienced this problem after upgrading to Ingres 2.6 ? > regards > Stephen M. Batchelor > EDS (UK North Midland Solution Centre) > Abney Court, Abney Park > Manchester Rd. > Cheadle SK8 2PD ...

[Info-Ingres] Ingres 9.2 on RHEL 6?
Hi all, Does 9.2 run ok on RHEL 6? Here is a slightly longer story which seems typical for a late Friday. II 9.2.0 (a64.lnx/143)NPTL + P13790. RHEL 5 x86 64bit. The drive supporting the root operating system was corrupted and wont boot. With the assistance of RH support, the customer has replaced the HDD and RHEL 6 has been installed. They have created some users and groups including ingres albeit with the wrong IDs. All ingres directories are intact on different drives. These have been mounted in the right spots: II_SYSTEM, data, ckp, jnl, dmp, log etc. I've corrected the ingres UID and GID in /etc/passwd and /etc/group. I found the .ingIIbash file and fixed environment correctly - I think. ingprenv works fine. syscheck and ingstart -iigcn report no error and there is nothing updated in errlog.log. I checked selinux is disabled. It appears to be an RPM installation originally 9.0.4 upgraded to 9.2.0 as there is a directory .../files/rpmspec with files from both versions. I found the 9.0.4 RPM tgz but not the 9.2 RPM; I suspect that is on the old drive. /opt/ingresII is gone - hopefully I can get it back from the old drive but I don't think it was in use. I'm thinking I should download 9.2 and rerun the install but not sure if it will be a waste of time. The faulty drive is available and possibly can be mounted - apparently sfck was running ok. I'll find out tomorrow. Anyone want to hazard a suggestion as to the best w...

[Info-ingres] File size (2 GB) limit when using AIX Version 5.1 with Ingres 2.6/0305

Re: [Info-Ingres] Ingres 9.2 on RHEL 6?
ahha. Looks like I got it. II_CONFIG was set to /opt/Ingres/IngresII/ingres/files I guess it was previously just a symbolic link back to II_SYSTEM. I've recreated the link and everything is shining. (well with ingres anyway) Paul -----Original Message----- From: Paul White [mailto:shift7solutions@gmail.com] Sent: Saturday, 24 September 2011 12:50 AM To: 'Ingres and related product discussion forum' Subject: Ingres 9.2 on RHEL 6? Hi all, Does 9.2 run ok on RHEL 6? Here is a slightly longer story which seems typical for a late Friday. II 9.2.0 (a64.lnx/143)NPTL + P13790. RHEL 5 x86 64bit. The drive supporting the root operating system was corrupted and wont boot. With the assistance of RH support, the customer has replaced the HDD and RHEL 6 has been installed. They have created some users and groups including ingres albeit with the wrong IDs. All ingres directories are intact on different drives. These have been mounted in the right spots: II_SYSTEM, data, ckp, jnl, dmp, log etc. I've corrected the ingres UID and GID in /etc/passwd and /etc/group. I found the .ingIIbash file and fixed environment correctly - I think. ingprenv works fine. syscheck and ingstart -iigcn report no error and there is nothing updated in errlog.log. I checked selinux is disabled. It appears to be an RPM installation originally 9.0.4 upgraded to 9.2.0 as there is a directory .../files/rpmspec with files from both versions. I found th...

Re: [Info-Ingres] Ingres 2.6 on Solaris 10: createdb slow #2
> -----Original Message----- > From: info-ingres-bounces@kettleriverconsulting.com > [mailto:info-ingres-bounces@kettleriverconsulting.com] On > Behalf Of William Yuan > Sent: 23 April 2007 07:51 > To: Artur.Fajok@psat.pl > Cc: Info Ingres > Subject: Re: [Info-Ingres] Ingres 2.6 on Solaris 10: createdb slow > > > Hi Artur, > > Thanks for your reply. I have been initially testing on > a 2 Gb cooked > log on ufs with RAID 5. Our I/O throughput and latency > on a Solaris > V890 zone appears to be 50-200% quicker than the...

RE: [Info-Ingres] Ingres R3 Support for Linux 2.6 Kernel? #2
Leavell Although I've not (yet) done any serious testing, I've successfully run the R3 and SuSE 9.1 configuration for a couple of weeks without noticing any problems. Mark -----Original Message----- From: Lucky Leavell [mailto:ingrnews@unixpress.com] Sent: 20 August 2004 15:27 To: info-ingres@ams.org Subject: [Info-Ingres] Ingres R3 Support for Linux 2.6 Kernel? I just downloaaded Ingres R3 for Linux and noticed it only supports (is supported by?) the Linux 2.4 kernel. When will a version for the 2.6 kernel be available? (Guess it is a good thing I have ...

[Info-Ingres] SAS and Ingres 9.2
Hello all, Is anyone running SAS with Ingres Net? I've located some information and would appreciate any tips before I head down possibly the wrong direction. Previously our client was running data extracts to text then massaging and copying data to the analysis/reporting machine. They are upgrading to SAS 9.2 and moving to Solaris 10 X64 on VMware. I expect the old data extract method will migrate without a problem but I would like to investigate using a direct Ingres Net connection. The SAS consultant has asked for ODBC on Solaris X64 - I'm getting him to check if they still have support for Ingres Net. According to SAS documentation, earlier versions supported CA-OpenIngres, but the latest release notes do not mention Ingres so I expect I will end up using ODBC. SAS have quoted existing customer sites using SAS with Ingres. eg "... ability to draw data from virtually any source, we now have a single portal through which to access data contained in our legacy Ingres database, our new Oracle database and numerous other sources that all contribute to a complete data view." Here are some promising links I've found. http://www.sas.com/success/statefleet.html http://www.sas.com/success/gloucestershireconstab.html http://support.sas.com/resources/sysreq/ http://community.ingres.com/wiki/Ingres_UNIX_ODBC Paul Hi Paul, We have a customer who are extracting data to SAS from Ingres through Ingres NET. They are...

Web resources about - [Info-Ingres] Upgrading from Ingres 2.6 to Ingres 2006- version 9.2 - comp.databases.ingres