RE: [Info-ingres] gtar failed with exit code 1

/tmp has rwxrwxrwxt on various unix flavours I deal with.
The t - sticky bit allows the owner of files to delete only their own files.

-----Original Message-----
From: calibrav6 [mailto:UseLinkToEmail@dbForumz.com]
Sent: Friday, 17 June 2005 8:36 AM
To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com
Subject: [Info-ingres] gtar failed with exit code 1

Hi,

I try to install ingres 2.6 SP2 on Unixware 7.13.
Running install/ingbuild as user ingres will start to unpack the
files, but
suddenly, I get error messages like this:
gtar failed with exit code 1
Unable to delete directory.  Return code: 1

Post to lock : the solution is chmod 777 /tmp
Strange because usually it's 777, and here it was 775   8O

--
Posted using the http://www.dbforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL:

Paul
6/17/2005 2:16:34 AM
comp.databases.ingres 5857 articles. 0 followers. specially (35) is leader. Post Follow

RE: [Info-ingres] RE: [Openroad-users] RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Migrating ABF code to J2EE
re: AppServer plug If anyone wants further inspiration on getting from ABF (or client server OR) to SOA and AppServer and the brave new world of clients that it opens up I did this talk at the last CAWorld (remember them?!) http://agendas.ca.com/agendas/SessionDetails.asp?SessionId=177 Whilst it over simplifies the process the reality isn't so far removed from the theory. As Paul points out, parts of the conversion can be automated; provided you use your brain to work out the tricky bits - popups in select loops, temporary tables etc - you'll be surprised at just ho...

RE: [Info-ingres] RE: [Openroad-users] RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Migr ating ABF code to J2EE
Hi Dennis, You can have your cake and eat it too. Conversion from ABF to n-tiered is relatively easy - it can be automated and it can be cheap. You can have your html, java, vb.net or anything else you like at the front end. OpenROAD Application server allows you to run as many tiers as you like. Paul Dennis writes... > However, as Roy and others have pointed out, it's no simple job to > morph a procedural language into an Object-Orientated one. The > resulting code would be a mess. -----Original Message----- From: Dennis Adams [mailto:dennis@dennisadams.n...

[Info-ingres] RE: [Openroad-users] RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Migrating ABF code to J2EE
Simon, I found this interesting as I'm starting to do a bit of Java myself. From what I've found so far it has good and bad points, just like any language. Some lift it above OpenROAD's level and some seem clumsy by comparison but that's probably largely down to my lack of experience with it. I don't agree with your points about getting a button click (simple matter of registering a listener and coding event code for it) or the SQL point. OpenROAD is the only language I've seen where you can put SQL directly into scripts. VB, Perl etc. all require the use ...

[Info-ingres] RE: Info-ingres digest, Vol 1 #374
Hi, With regards to installing ingres patches on windows I've had the same issues but have resolved by doing the following : - Make sure IVM is not running - Make sure no ingres processes are running - Shutdown the following services: IIS WMI COM+ SNMP The only one I couldn't get round recently was the slow_v4.mnx being accessed by another program. I chose to ignore that warning and everything was fine. The slow_v4.mnx file is read by IVM which was shutdown so I didn't see it as a problem. The only other thing that I could think of that was accessing this file was the ingres performance counters. With this being the only problem the patch installed ok with no reported issues. The patching we've done is on Advantage Ingres 2.6 running windows 2000 server...we're at patch level 10797 Hope this helps... Best Regards Graham T Newlands IT Consultant Fujitsu Australia Address: Lvl 20, 222 Exhibition St, Melbourne, VIC 3000 Tel: +61 3 9657 8705 Mobile: 0404 003 104 Fax: +61 3 9664 6570 Email: graham.newlands@au.fujitsu.com Web site: http://au.fujitsu.com -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of info-ingres-request@cariboulake.com Sent: Friday, 14 October 2005 3:00 AM To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Info-ingres digest, Vol 1 #374 - 1 msg Send Info-...

[Info-ingres] RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres
Hi Paul, Thanks for the information! I do have a question: I checkpoint the iidbdb daily with the -d flag, so the journal files don't exist for me that far back (to cover all of 2004). If I weren't using the -d flag, how far back would Ingres track Journal/Checkpoint information? Indefinitely? I have a limited amount of space in my jnl file system, so I doubt I could keep a year's work of jnl files for that database even if I weren't using the -d flag. Thanks, Troy -----Original Message----- From: Paul Mason [mailto:latepaul@gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, Jan...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPartTM-000-bba2044a-af8b-45e6-a531-d80e6c174589 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C56CF8.D5A2691A" ------_=_NextPart_001_01C56CF8.D5A2691A Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <?xml version=3D"1.0" ?> Yes, auditdb binary output is piped into the Java program the builds the = JDBC commands to execute them. A unique key is required. -----Original Message----- From: martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk [m...

[Info-ingres] AW: [Openroad-users] RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Migrating ABF code to J2EE
Hi, > IMHO most popular languages have good and bad points, good > and bad being > decided upon by the purpose of using the language, level of > experience etc. > However, very few languages could be described as being > "good" or "bad" as a > whole. I agree with you, Jim. It's the task that needs to be done (the sum of all functional and non-functional requirements) that dictates which way's the best. This kind of mailing list discussion often never ends ;-) Happy Java & OpenROAD & Alien coding... Marc ...

[Info-ingres] gtar failed with exit code 2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_007A_01C6FDBA.954FD7E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi all, I tried to install Ingres 2.6sp1 and 2.6sp2 on Mandriva-Linux 2006. In both cases I get the following errors when I attempt to run install/ingbuild: gtar failed with exit code 2 /bin/tar: .: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted /bin/tar: .: Cannot change mode to rwxrwxr-x: Operation not permitted /bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors This occurs when attempting to unpack the functions. I followed the same steps as I have done numerous times before on Linux-Mandrake and Slackware (the extent of my Linux experience). I then installed Ingres 3.0.2 without any issues, so I guess it is not that critical. However, as I would rather be running the same version as my clients, can anybody explain these errors to a poor-openroad-programmer-with-limited-linux-experience? Thanks, James Melbourne, Australia ------=_NextPart_000_007A_01C6FDBA.954FD7E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dus-ascii"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.5730.11" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD&...

[Info-ingres] RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres #2
Hi Troy, iidbdb journals are not that big. In one of my larger installations, 3 days worth of journals takes 112Mb for the transaction database and 200Kb for iidbdb. I think in Ingres 2.6 you can keep 100 checkpoints in the history. Paul -----Original Message----- From: Anderson, Troy E. [mailto:AndersonTE@bvsg.com] Sent: Monday, 17 January 2005 3:57 PM To: Paul Mason Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres Hi Paul, Thanks for the information! I do have a question: I checkpoint the iidbdb daily with th...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database #2
Well aware of the -b bugs. We have filed many issues and have them all resolved on our version. We don't xfer the ckp's because it is 60GB over a WAN. We also "zero-out" the .jnl files before and after the ones we want to rollforward. We do NOT monkey with the .cnf file, just transfer it. -----Original Message----- From: martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk [mailto:martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk] Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:13 AM To: Kale, Mark (STP) Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database Hi Mark I think I may hav...

[Info-ingres] SV: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres in the news
Well in the updated profile for Mark Berrenchea (www.ingres.com Board of Directors) after he switched from CA to Garnett & Helfrich, and Sam Greenblatt takes over of CA's Board membership it says that he's now responsible for Europe, Asia so hopefully something will happen in the close future, But as all others we're waiting. Mark Barrenechea joined Garnett & Helfrich Capital as a director effective June 19, 2006. Barrenechea will help expand the firm's investments into Europe and Asia in the emerging segment of Venture Buyouts, partnering with large technology co...

[Info-ingres] RES: [Info-ingres] Re: What animal should Ingres be?
Hi Paul, I agree totally with you Ingres needs a promotion strategy (urgently). For me the one of the main issue to try change this "perception" is to promote the use of Ingres for ISVs. There are many of then adapting their software to use open source technology (OS, Database, Development tools, etc.), and this is a great opportunity to grow up the use of Ingres. Here I know around ten software vendors (medium size) which are doing this move. And most of then are moving to use MySQL, PostgreSQL and Firebird. Unhappily, Ingres is so unknown it is not being considered an option. Ahhh, I suggest cheetah. The fastest animal. Leandro Fava DBA-SINF-UNISC http://www.unisc.br Presidente IUG-BR http://www.iug-br.org Fone: +55 51 3717 7636 > -----Mensagem original----- > De: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com > [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] Em nome de Paul Andrews > Enviada em: Thursday, December 01, 2005 10:06 PM > Para: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Assunto: Re: [Info-ingres] Re: What animal should Ingres be? > > It's kind of dissappointing that my comments about an animal logo and > Phoenix in particular have killed this discussion. Whatever I > think about > what was discussed, the branding of ingres is important. > > I do feel that a rebranding is required. Ingres as it has > been known is a > somewhat damaged brand and I think it needs a sidestep somewhere to ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Database links in Ingres
Hi Steve, I presume you've successfully installed and started your star server and created your distributed db. Also you need a vnode pointing to the remote database (or local). Here's a simple example. createdb corp/star echo "create global connection tst mymachine wintcp II" > vnode.txt echo "create global login tst ingres mypass" >> vnode.txt netutil -file vnode.txt sql tst::testdb * create table blah (a varchar(10), b float); * insert into blah values ('abc',123); * commit; \g \q sql corp/star * register table corp_blah as link from * blah with node = tst, database = testdb; \g * * select * from corp_blah \g Executing . . . ?a ?b ? ?abc ? 123.000? (1 row) continue * If you haven't got star installed properly you may get something like this: C:\>createdb dummy/star Creating distributed database 'dummy' . . . Creating DBMS System Catalogs . . . Modifying DBMS System Catalogs . . . Creating Standard Catalog Interface . . . Creating STAR System Catalogs . . . Initializing STAR System Catalogs . . . Modifying STAR System Catalogs . . . Creating Front-end System Catalogs . . . Unable to connect to the STAR server. Please check your installation and see if a STAR server is up. Warning: Front-End catalog creation is skipped. You may use UPGRADEFE to create the Front-End catalogs for database dummy. Creation of distributed da...

RE: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database
Hi Chloe, We used to do exactly this to keep our test server up to date with the data in the live environment. At no time did we intend to use the test server as a hot standby and I wouldn't recommend against it. Maybe ok if you want to allow your users to look at something in read-only mode whilst you recover the live server. It worked fairly well but it wasn't 100% and that's why I wouldn't use it. We've since turned off that functionality but it's nice to know how to do it. I'm with Marty on this one. Get some budget together to either duplicate...

[Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C56C1F.7A7C2730 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have been reading with great interest the ongoing discussion of the Stand-by Database using Checkpoints, Journals, Rollforward, Config files, etc. on a machine that is configured exactly the same as the server. We have been attempting to use one-way Ingres Replication to provide a stand-by database that is as current as possible (at the same transaction level) as the primary database server using immediate Replication Distribution (as opposed to distribution in ten minutes increments or once per day at night). Obviously this is not perfectly possible with Replication - we could always lose the "last" transaction if the network goes down at the exact point between the transaction commit on the primary server and the distribution (a separate transaction) to the target server. We are almost there with the Replication approach (not there yet), currently awaiting a CA Patch that does not take locks on the replication support tables during distribution. Yes, the Replication Server will lock certain tables causing possible conflicts (Deadlocks) with server transactions - conflicts that do not happen when the Replication Server (distribution) process is not running. We have also written an Online Replication Support Table maintenance program that hopefully...

[Info-ingres] RE: Info-ingres digest, Vol 1 #331
Hi, I know most of the people on this list are active on most of the ingres forums and are very well experienced in ingres especially the likes of Karl and Marty :-) Well just to let you know hot of the press is that I've discovered a bug with ingres on the Windows platform, that I'd like to share. It's to do with the checkpoint template and CA have acknowledged this as of yesterday. You will notice a line in the checkpoint template file : $II_SYSTEM\ingres\files\cktmpl.def that reads : WDDD: echo deleting files in location "%D" & del /Q "%D\*.*" The above command is executed by ingres when doing the "rollfowarddb" and the idea is that ingres deletes any files in each data location before restoring the files from the checkpoint. *** this does not happen *** The fix we have put in is to have the following in the $II_SYSTEM\ingres\files\ckcopyd.bat script for the rollforwarddb : REM delete the necessary files in the location before doing the restore excluding the .cnf, .rfc and .ali files REM as these are automatically handled by ingres. IMPORTANT if all files are selected for deletion REM in the location then the rollforward will fail as ingres first renames aaaaaaaa.cnf to REM aaaaaaaa.rfc so removing any of these files via script will cause issues with the rollforward del /Q "%1\*.t*" ************** note the above goes in the section labelled "per...

Re: [Info-ingres] Re: Why Ingres?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000509000805090406000507 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Since Postgres version 8.1 there is an autovacuum feature built into the server, so that's no longer an issue: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew J�rgen Michael Leo <mleo@cariboulake.com> wrote: Jared Richardson wrote: [good stuff clipped] > 4) Postgres. You have to "vacuum" the database from time to time (daily or > weekly) to keep it running properly. It does have a lot of nice features, a > strong community, and it's free. > > In all fairness to Postgres, the "vacuum" thing everyone keeps mentioning isn't really any different than the MODIFYs we all do in Ingres to maintain well-balanced structures with optimal amounts of overflow. We have an internal business system the runs on Postgres. We like experimenting with products by actually using them. That REALLY tells you the story. There is no other way. This internal project is 6 years old and has seen the application and database move platforms and versions several times. For about 4 years, the "vacuuming" was not properly performed. Everything was fine, albeit increasingly sluggish. When I inherited the system (why always me?) I noticed the broken "vacuum" job and fixed it. Things were markedly better. But I ...

[Info-ingres] Re: RE: [Info-ingres] Unable to kill some sessions
Hi André, It seems not. This is the complete info from iimonitor Session 000000010ABFC580:29757 (Os_user ) cs_state: CS_COMPUTABLE cs_mask: CS_DEAD_MASK,CS_IRPENDING_MASK DB Name: Db (Owned by: dbowner ) User: dbuser (Os_user ) User Name at Session Startup: dbuser Terminal: batch Group Id: mygroup Role Id: Application Code: 00000000 Current Facility: OPF (00000004) Client user: Os_user Client host: remote_machine Client tty: remote_machine Client pid: 18831 Client connection target: node::db Client information: user='os_user',host='remote_machine',tty='remote_machine',pid=18831,conn='node::db' Description: JSQL/18831/dbuser Query: open ~Q cursor for INGSTMT0 for readonly using ~V , ~V , ~V , ~V , ~V , ~V Carlos >Is the state NOINT ? > Maybe it's rolling back. Sometimes that can take a while. >Andre >-----Original Message----- >From: <a href="javascript:sendMsg('info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com');">info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com</a> ><a href="javascript:sendMsg('[mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com]');">[mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com]</a> On Behalf Of <a href="javascript:sendMsg('izen...

RE: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database #2
I am not doing a creeping one. It just allows a copy of the up-to-date journals and last ckp file etc. to be ready for A rollforward when required. -----Original Message----- From: martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk [mailto:martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk] Sent: Wednesday, 8 June 2005 8:12 p.m. To: Robert Allely; 'chloe.crowder@bl.uk' Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database Hi Robert, Chloe etc. I'm not sure if I have a full grasp on whether or not Robert was doing a 'creeping' rollforward or not, but just in case, I'd like to get on the Ol' Soap Box for a moment. Its one thing to set up a DR system using rollforwarddb from a checkpoint/journal etc. Thats a perfectly simple and natural thing to do. But Its quite another to use rollforwarddb from some point and then transfer over more journals and do a 'creeping' rollforwarddb -c +j '#f' - b... [-norollback] ....And then automate the process, ....allowing for errors such as: * the rollforwarddb being locked out by another process, * the possibility of a database being flagged as inconsistent on the DR site - which is very probable. * A breakdown in the transport of a journal or other essential file between the hosts. scp/rcp/ftp failure. * A journal being written to by the primary host archiver as it was transferred to the DR host. Whats that (unsupported) trace point to force ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: What animal should Ingres be?
I still like my Ant suggestion. On their own, their insignificant but working together as a community, they form a strong partnership they exemplifies the benefits of synergy. And if you piss them off they've got a ferocious bite too! Jon Gibson Senior Database Administrator Directline: 020 7448 6820 www.hiscox.com -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Roger Hill Sent: 21 November 2005 16:47 To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Re: What animal should Ingres be? Actually Owl works quite well. Old, wise and runs on Linux... Roger Peter Gale wrote: >You are digging a hole here. Someone is bound to suggest Dodo. >Personally I would go for Owl, old and wise. > >Peter Gale >Comprehensive Solutions (US) >Comprehensive Solutions International (UK) >T: +44 (0)1398 341777 M: +44 (0)7831 513181 >PGale@Comp-Soln.co.uk www.Comp-Soln.co.uk-----Original Message----- >From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com >[mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of rthdavid >Sent: 21 November 2005 16:14 >To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com >Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: What animal should Ingres be? > >Okay PostgreSQL may actually be a Mammoth... > >_______________________________________________ >Info-ingres mailing list >Info-ingres@cariboulake.com >http://mail...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres article
When CA announced they were moving their internal systems to SAP the obvious question was asked - are they going to run SAP over ingres? I wonder if this is one of the drivers. Paul -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Roy Hann Sent: Friday, 3 February 2006 8:17 AM To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres article "Chip Nickolett" <ChipN@Comp-Soln.com> wrote in message news:1138914221.024628.51430@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > It seemed like a pretty fair and balanced presentation to me. I didn't think it was bad I just thought it managed to sound a bit less than whole-hearted. But hell, I'll take it, with thanks! More, please. Roy _______________________________________________ Info-ingres mailing list Info-ingres@cariboulake.com http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: How Different is Ingres?
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C58207.8BED64E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Postgres' Multi Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) is explained here http://www.developer.com/open/article.php/877181 and here http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/25/postgresql_mvcc.html. I can't see why a similar locking option couldn't be added to Ingres in time?? MVCC _may_ provide greater concurrency, but its far from perfect. This old article compares DBMS locking methods, traps and pitfalls:- http://www.dbpd.com/vault/saracco.htm ************************************************************************ DISCLAIMER The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended for the recipient only. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any other purposes, or disclose the content of the e-mail to any other person or store or copy the information in any medium. The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not necessarily those of Admenta UK Group. ************************************************************************ ------_=_NextPart_001_01C58207.8BED64E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Cont...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: INGRES Variables
Indeed they do. We have been working on a large VMS based project (using QUEL I might add) for the past few months, and over the last 2 weeks I have given Ingres DBA classes to 2 different customers both of which run VMS and one of which ONLY runs VMS. -- Peter Gale Managing Director Comprehensive Solutions International T: +44 (0)1398 341777 M: +44 (0)7831 513181 PGale@Comp-Soln.co.uk www.Comp-Soln.co.uk "Business Savvy. IT Smart" R -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Steve Brown Sent: 12 April 2006 08:24 To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: INGRES Variables > Note that the symbol.tbl is also present on Windows but not on VMS, > where you'll have to use logicals, Does anyone still use VMS? I thought that was a dying platform? Can you even buy it now? We got rid of our last VMS platform four years ago. _______________________________________________ Info-ingres mailing list Info-ingres@cariboulake.com http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres in the news
"I don't understand why they haven't held some sort of Ingres 2006 launch event for existing customers," he said. He's got it right there! Gareth -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Roy Hann Sent: 13 July 2006 13:23 To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres in the news <michaelnewport@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1152788826.617260.137380@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/12/ingres_roger_bur...

Web resources about - RE: [Info-ingres] gtar failed with exit code 1 - comp.databases.ingres