Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #3

Bruno Wipier wrote:

> Thanks for this informations but i don't know what to do ! I
> think i'm going to run "ntpdate" when the database has little
> activity.( the night after a ckpdb ).

Hi Bruno,

    what is the scale of your clock drift? IMO "little and
often" is the best policy for using ntpdate - you don't want
to run it to correct large time differences, and, as it
over-corrects anyway, it might be (very slightly) counter-
productive to do so - for instance, if the time is 10 secs.
slow, and you run ntpdate to correct this large inaccuracy,
then you might end up with a time 5 seconds fast!

    Anyway, as I mentioned we run "ntpdate -Bs" daily on some
quite busy systems, and I have never seen a problem caused
by it. If I were you, I'd set it up to "step" the time at
next boot, or when Ingres is stopped if this is otherwise
acceptable, and then run -Bs every so often. It is well worth
having at least two NTP servers as reference.

--
Erratic News-Swervers R us!
Ingres, yeah baby, yeah!!! Oh, behave!!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

0
Ingres
7/21/2003 2:17:12 PM
comp.databases.ingres 5857 articles. 0 followers. specially (35) is leader. Post Follow

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres
Bruno, Our servers (HPUX10.20 OpenIngres 1.2) have been running NTP for years without a problem. (Currently version ntp-4.0.99j) Maybe we have been lucky. Richard > ---------- > From: Bruno Wipier[SMTP:bruno.wipier_nospam_@free.fr] > Sent: 18 July 2003 10:34 > To: info-ingres@ams.org > Subject: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres > > Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is > not > compatible with Ingres. > > Thanks. > > Bruno. > > > > _________________________________...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #7
> From: Michael Leo > > > > > >This is a difficult restriction. Many of us need our > systems to be > > >kept in sync, and almost every platform I have used drifts > seconds per > > >day. > > > >Why is that btw? Why is it that a cheap digital watch can keep time > >better than an expensive computer? I know it's a cliched > joke but does > >anyone know why? > > I've always wondered this myself. I'm and Electrical Engineer > and used to design a bit of hardware myself. I don't get why this > happens. Drives me wacko. > It looks like it's a temperature thing, as suggested by Richard, http://www.futurlec.com/News/Dallas/Crystal.html <snip> > > > - All "sequenced" things within Ingres should not rely > on time but > > instead > > > use a generated sequenced key. > > > >They do. The logging system uses Log Sequence Numbers which do not > >depend on the system clock. > > Cool. Makes me feel better. > > >It's just that journal records also have a timestamp so you can run > >auditdb and rollforward to a point in time. If, because of time > >adjustments, we can have multiple journal records for the same point > >in time then it makes that tricky. > > > >Maybe we should have rollforward based on LSNs but that...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #5
> From: Ingres, yeah baby!! [mailto:Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]] > Paul Mason wrote: > > Why is it that a cheap digital watch can keep time better than > > an expensive computer? > > Well, a cheap digital watch does not have so much to think > about! (You've just reminded me of Mr. Prosser, for some > reason ( <http://tinyurl.com/hkde> ) ). Still, the basic > principle is the same - oscillator frequency variation > will make some difference. There may be some issue with > lost clock interrupts, AFAIR. Each clock interrupt causes > the kernel to increment the time (by 10 milli- seconds, > 1/100 second?), so a higher priority interrupt causing a > missed clock interrupt would result in time slippage. > This is all a long time ago, and I can't remember whether > that is for an old mainframe, or a Sun system. It probably > doesn't matter, anyway - my 1st. Law of Computing - "all > computers are the same computer". Oh, I think temperature > has some issue on clock speed, too. This *is* irritating, > I may have to go and look it up! > Can't we just do something like hook up a cheap digital watch to motherboard so it has it's own internal 'time-server' that it can sync against periodically. Then all you'd need is the equivalent of ntpdate in firmware, set to run regularly enough so it never has to 'step' the time, give it a fr...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #2
> At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: > >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. > Officialy NTP is not > >compatible with Ingres. > > > >Thanks. > > > >Bruno. > > Bruno, > > I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of > UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with > Ingres? > > NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within > milliseconds of the 'master'. > > Is Ingres not compatible with the correct time? ;-) We don'...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #8
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C35026.97706250 Content-Type: text/plain The only thing wrong with daylight saving in the uk is the fact the don't jump 2 hours ahead! Who cares if it's light at 4.30 am, apart from the whinging farmers of course. Oh, and not forgetting that daylight saving is an absurd concept. It's not as though you can put it in the bank and withdraw it when you like "Yes bank clerk, I'd like to withdraw an extra hour of daylight in my garden tonight". Of course, in the UK it's referred to as British Summer Time, which makes you want to break into an MC Hammer song just without the baggy trousers and cucumber sandwiches instead... -----Original Message----- From: Karl & Betty Schendel [mailto:schendel@kbcomputer.com] Sent: 21 July 2003 17:27 To: info-ingres@ams.org Subject: Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres At 11:07 AM -0500 7/21/03, Michael Leo wrote: > >Can it be that tough to solder a digital watch (joking) >on the corner of the motherboard and not let it be bothered >by interrupts. How much are digital watches nowadays? >How much are 8-way servers? Actually I think Sun's (at least) are supposed to have some kind of RTC clock chip that does just that. I dunno why they don't seem to work very well. > >Then the...

Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #4
Paul Mason wrote: > Why is it that a cheap digital watch can keep time better than > an expensive computer? Well, a cheap digital watch does not have so much to think about! (You've just reminded me of Mr. Prosser, for some reason ( <http://tinyurl.com/hkde> ) ). Still, the basic principle is the same - oscillator frequency variation will make some difference. There may be some issue with lost clock interrupts, AFAIR. Each clock interrupt causes the kernel to increment the time (by 10 milli- seconds, 1/100 second?), so a higher priority interrupt causing a missed clock interrupt would result in time slippage. This is all a long time ago, and I can't remember whether that is for an old mainframe, or a Sun system. It probably doesn't matter, anyway - my 1st. Law of Computing - "all computers are the same computer". Oh, I think temperature has some issue on clock speed, too. This *is* irritating, I may have to go and look it up! -- Erratic News-Swervers R us! Ingres, yeah baby, yeah!!! Oh, behave!! ________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com ...

Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #6
By the way, even though most servers I meet can't keep time to save a life, my 4-year-old Powerbook G3 laptop will generally hold time to within a few seconds every couple months. Even the ancient (9-year-old) Performa 6110 that we just retired could keep time better than my Ultra 2 can. -- Karl R. Schendel, Jr. schendel@kbcomputer.com K/B Computer Associates www.kbcomputer.com Ingres, Unix, VMS Consulting and Training ...

NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres
Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not compatible with Ingres. Thanks. Bruno. At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not >compatible with Ingres. > >Thanks. > >Bruno. Bruno, I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with Ingres? NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within milliseconds of the 'master'. Is Ingres not compatible with the c...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPartTM-000-bba2044a-af8b-45e6-a531-d80e6c174589 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C56CF8.D5A2691A" ------_=_NextPart_001_01C56CF8.D5A2691A Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <?xml version=3D"1.0" ?> Yes, auditdb binary output is piped into the Java program the builds the = JDBC commands to execute them. A unique key is required. -----Original Message----- From: martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk [mailto:martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk] Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 3:26 AM To: Kale, Mark (STP) Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database Hi Mark et al - gee this is getting interesting, > Jumping on on the thread late, but thought I would give a comment. > Each night we do exactly what you are saying. We do a production > checkpoint, transfer yesterday's journals and the config to the drp > server, and do a rollforward. We follow with full checksums. It is > not that hard to do. Absolutely so. But this is not a creeping or rolling = recovery. This sounds like a normal 'static' recovery to a foreign host. >=20 > We also have a custom-built Java replicator that reads yesterday's > journals from production, and applies certain table DML-only commands > on our reporti...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database #2
Well aware of the -b bugs. We have filed many issues and have them all resolved on our version. We don't xfer the ckp's because it is 60GB over a WAN. We also "zero-out" the .jnl files before and after the ones we want to rollforward. We do NOT monkey with the .cnf file, just transfer it. -----Original Message----- From: martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk [mailto:martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk] Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:13 AM To: Kale, Mark (STP) Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database Hi Mark I think I may have missed a point here, but... You do a backup of your production database and then only shove the journals over to the recovery host - not the checkpoint you just took. Then, after monkeying with the config file, you use the journals to do a rollforwarddb -c -b? Why? Why don't you use the checkpoint you just made on the production host, transfer those checkpoint tar files to the DR host and do a normal recovery? What have I missed? BTW. The -b flag on rollforwarddb has been subject to some bugs. Specifically relating to whether or not it represents the transaction commit time - as it is supposed to. Marty > Chloe, > > Thought I would chime in. We have a drp box configured almost > identically to production. We have a cronjob that copies over journal > files (not yet copied) every 10 minutes to our drp server. We set a...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: PHP times out waiting for an ingres connection
Do you have timeout defined for the transaction? I have NT Ingres client trying to connect to OpenVMS and it takes 6 seconds. The slowness is on the NT Ingres. Good luck ---Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of faxio@email.it Sent: Tuesday 10 May 2005 15:16 To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: PHP times out waiting for an ingres connection All connections dies due timeout. I use an ODBC connection, native ingres functions does not work. Ingres version: 2.6 PHP: 4.3.11 IIS: 5 Windows XP _______________________________________________ Info-ingres mailing list Info-ingres@cariboulake.com http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This e-mail message may contain confidential, commercial and privileged information or data that constitute proprietary information of Cellcom Israel Ltd. Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use of this information or data by any other person is absolutely prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies. Thank You. http://www.cellcom.co.il "Yehudah Edelstein" <YEHUDAED@cellcom.co.il> wrote in message news:mailman.1115736482.25913.info-i...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: PHP times out waiting for an ingres connection #2
I tried altering the hosts file as you recommended but no change in response, so I'm not laughing. Still it takes 6 seconds for the connect. Trying ping from my NT client to my VMS server, responds immediately. Roy, can you reproduce the problem by you? On my NT I have: MS Windows server 2003 Enterprise edition II 2.6/0305 (int.w32/00) 10520 And my server is OpenVMS 7.3-1: II 2.0/0308 (axm.vms/00) Patch 10680 CA, as of yet, have not been able to produce a solution. Yehudah -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Roy Hann Sent: Sunday 15 May 2005 13:50 To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Re: PHP times out waiting for an ingres connection "Yehudah Edelstein" <YEHUDAED@cellcom.co.il> wrote in message news:mailman.1115736482.25913.info-ingres@cariboulake.com... > Do you have timeout defined for the transaction? I have NT Ingres > client trying to connect to OpenVMS and it takes 6 seconds. The > slowness is on the NT Ingres. Just for a laugh, see if adding the name of the NT machine to its own drivers\etc\hosts file speeds up the time needed to make a connection. Roy Hann (rhann at rationalcommerce dot com) Rational Commerce Ltd. www.rationalcommerce.com "Ingres development, tuning, and training experts" _______________________________________________ Info-ingres mailing list In...

[Info-ingres] RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres
Hi Paul, Thanks for the information! I do have a question: I checkpoint the iidbdb daily with the -d flag, so the journal files don't exist for me that far back (to cover all of 2004). If I weren't using the -d flag, how far back would Ingres track Journal/Checkpoint information? Indefinitely? I have a limited amount of space in my jnl file system, so I doubt I could keep a year's work of jnl files for that database even if I weren't using the -d flag. Thanks, Troy -----Original Message----- From: Paul Mason [mailto:latepaul@gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 4:32 PM To: Anderson, Troy E. Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres Anderson, Troy E. wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know if Ingres tracks the date that a user was created (in > accessdb)? Is that contained in a system catalog, for example? I'd > like to figure out all new user accounts created in 2004... > > Thanks, > *Troy E. Anderson* > *BV SOLUTIONS GROUP, Inc.*, A Black & Veatch Company > 10950 Grandview Ave. > Overland Park, KS 66210 > Tel. (913) 458-8521 > Fax. (913) 458-4994 > <_mailto: andersonte@bvsg.com_ <mailto:%20%20andersonte@bvsg.com>> > Visit us: _http://www.bvsg.com_ > > Try this - auditdb -a -table=iiuser iidbdb iidbdb should be journalled so this should tell you what you need to know. ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Database links in Ingres
Hi Steve, I presume you've successfully installed and started your star server and created your distributed db. Also you need a vnode pointing to the remote database (or local). Here's a simple example. createdb corp/star echo "create global connection tst mymachine wintcp II" > vnode.txt echo "create global login tst ingres mypass" >> vnode.txt netutil -file vnode.txt sql tst::testdb * create table blah (a varchar(10), b float); * insert into blah values ('abc',123); * commit; \g \q sql corp/star * register table corp_blah as link from * blah with node = tst, database = testdb; \g * * select * from corp_blah \g Executing . . . ?a ?b ? ?abc ? 123.000? (1 row) continue * If you haven't got star installed properly you may get something like this: C:\>createdb dummy/star Creating distributed database 'dummy' . . . Creating DBMS System Catalogs . . . Modifying DBMS System Catalogs . . . Creating Standard Catalog Interface . . . Creating STAR System Catalogs . . . Initializing STAR System Catalogs . . . Modifying STAR System Catalogs . . . Creating Front-end System Catalogs . . . Unable to connect to the STAR server. Please check your installation and see if a STAR server is up. Warning: Front-End catalog creation is skipped. You may use UPGRADEFE to create the Front-End catalogs for database dummy. Creation of distributed da...

[Info-ingres] Re: Ingres stand-by database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C56C1F.7A7C2730 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have been reading with great interest the ongoing discussion of the Stand-by Database using Checkpoints, Journals, Rollforward, Config files, etc. on a machine that is configured exactly the same as the server. We have been attempting to use one-way Ingres Replication to provide a stand-by database that is as current as possible (at the same transaction level) as the primary database server using immediate Replication Distribution (as opposed to distribution in ten minutes increments or once per day at night). Obviously this is not perfectly possible with Replication - we could always lose the "last" transaction if the network goes down at the exact point between the transaction commit on the primary server and the distribution (a separate transaction) to the target server. We are almost there with the Replication approach (not there yet), currently awaiting a CA Patch that does not take locks on the replication support tables during distribution. Yes, the Replication Server will lock certain tables causing possible conflicts (Deadlocks) with server transactions - conflicts that do not happen when the Replication Server (distribution) process is not running. We have also written an Online Replication Support Table maintenance program that hopefully...

RE: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database
Hi Chloe, We used to do exactly this to keep our test server up to date with the data in the live environment. At no time did we intend to use the test server as a hot standby and I wouldn't recommend against it. Maybe ok if you want to allow your users to look at something in read-only mode whilst you recover the live server. It worked fairly well but it wasn't 100% and that's why I wouldn't use it. We've since turned off that functionality but it's nice to know how to do it. I'm with Marty on this one. Get some budget together to either duplicate at the hardware level or try your hand with replication. One of the posts mentions a good place to go hunting on the Newsgroup if you really want to pursue it. Regards Jon -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk Sent: 07 June 2005 10:53 To: chloe.crowder@bl.uk Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database Hi Chloe, There are means of doing this with rollforwarddb, I've certainly managed to make a creeping rollforwarddb, however.... Do you really want to use an unsupported means of recovering a database to make a hot standby? You would have to use your own code to support this and when you finally need the database and you find out how bad it may have been -- do you really want to go up to the bos...

Re: [Info-ingres] Re: Why Ingres?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000509000805090406000507 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Since Postgres version 8.1 there is an autovacuum feature built into the server, so that's no longer an issue: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew J�rgen Michael Leo <mleo@cariboulake.com> wrote: Jared Richardson wrote: [good stuff clipped] > 4) Postgres. You have to "vacuum" the database from time to time (daily or > weekly) to keep it running properly. It does have a lot of nice features, a > strong community, and it's free. > > In all fairness to Postgres, the "vacuum" thing everyone keeps mentioning isn't really any different than the MODIFYs we all do in Ingres to maintain well-balanced structures with optimal amounts of overflow. We have an internal business system the runs on Postgres. We like experimenting with products by actually using them. That REALLY tells you the story. There is no other way. This internal project is 6 years old and has seen the application and database move platforms and versions several times. For about 4 years, the "vacuuming" was not properly performed. Everything was fine, albeit increasingly sluggish. When I inherited the system (why always me?) I noticed the broken "vacuum" job and fixed it. Things were markedly better. But I ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Problem with network based database connection
Optimizedb would not be the problem but it is possible that the net server(s) where shutdown in order to allow the sysmod to run. sysmod requires an exclusive lock on the database so shutting the net server is an expedient way to disconnect all the user sessions. Note that sysmod itself would not shut the net server. Some other process or person had to do it. -- Peter T: +44 (0)1398 341777 PGale@Comp-Soln.co.uk -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Cecil Westerhof Sent: 19 April 2006 13:50 To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: Problem with network based database connection Peter Gale schreef: > Something has changed, its just not something obvious. Very true. > 1. The Net Servers on the System B. Are there any running? > On Unix (ps -fu ingres|grep $II_SYSTEM/ingres|grep iigcc) This was the problem. I gave 'ingstart -iigcc' and everything is working again smoothly. What I do not understand is why it was not running anymore. We did an optimizedb and a sysmod. Could those be the cullprits? _______________________________________________ Info-ingres mailing list Info-ingres@cariboulake.com http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres Peter Gale schreef: > Optimizedb would not be the problem but it is possible that the net > server(s) where shutdown in order to allow the s...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres/ICE (3.0.2) and Apache 2.0.54
m00n, I have uploaded a DLL for PHP 5.0.5 to http://www.ingres.co.uk/files/php/php-5.0.5-ingres_dll.zip. You should know that the code has been tested with BLOBs of varying sizes up to 100Mb; it should work with larger files I did not have any laying about to test with. The code will fetch data in segments defined by the connect option "blog_segment_length". I believe the maximum segment size is 32k. See http://www.ingres.co.uk/files/php/blob_read.php for an example of setting connect options. Later on it will be possible to set the segment length dynamically not just at connect time. I would strongly advise this DLL not be used in production but feel free to experiment. Any comments or feedback is welcome. grant > -----Original Message----- > From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres- > admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of m00nminkey@hotmail.com > Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:03 PM > To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com > Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres/ICE (3.0.2) and Apache 2.0.54 > > Hi Grant, > > Yes please! if you could send me an experimental DLL > > Thanks! > m00n > > _______________________________________________ > Info-ingres mailing list > Info-ingres@cariboulake.com > http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres > ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres/ICE (3.0.2) and Apache 2.0.54 #2
The example PHP file is available via http://www.ingres.co.uk/files/php/blob_read.phps and not the url posted earlier. ...

[Info-ingres] RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres #2
Hi Troy, iidbdb journals are not that big. In one of my larger installations, 3 days worth of journals takes 112Mb for the transaction database and 200Kb for iidbdb. I think in Ingres 2.6 you can keep 100 checkpoints in the history. Paul -----Original Message----- From: Anderson, Troy E. [mailto:AndersonTE@bvsg.com] Sent: Monday, 17 January 2005 3:57 PM To: Paul Mason Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: RE: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres Hi Paul, Thanks for the information! I do have a question: I checkpoint the iidbdb daily with the -d flag, so the journal files don't exist for me that far back (to cover all of 2004). If I weren't using the -d flag, how far back would Ingres track Journal/Checkpoint information? Indefinitely? I have a limited amount of space in my jnl file system, so I doubt I could keep a year's work of jnl files for that database even if I weren't using the -d flag. Thanks, Troy -----Original Message----- From: Paul Mason [mailto:latepaul@gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 4:32 PM To: Anderson, Troy E. Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [ingres] [Info-ingres] Dates users were created in Ingres Anderson, Troy E. wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know if Ingres tracks the date that a user was created (in > accessdb)? Is that contained in a system catalog, for example? I'd > like to figure out all new user accounts cr...

RE: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database #2
I am not doing a creeping one. It just allows a copy of the up-to-date journals and last ckp file etc. to be ready for A rollforward when required. -----Original Message----- From: martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk [mailto:martin.bowes@ctsu.ox.ac.uk] Sent: Wednesday, 8 June 2005 8:12 p.m. To: Robert Allely; 'chloe.crowder@bl.uk' Cc: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Ingres stand-by database Hi Robert, Chloe etc. I'm not sure if I have a full grasp on whether or not Robert was doing a 'creeping' rollforward or not, but just in case, I'd like to get on the Ol' Soap Box for a moment. Its one thing to set up a DR system using rollforwarddb from a checkpoint/journal etc. Thats a perfectly simple and natural thing to do. But Its quite another to use rollforwarddb from some point and then transfer over more journals and do a 'creeping' rollforwarddb -c +j '#f' - b... [-norollback] ....And then automate the process, ....allowing for errors such as: * the rollforwarddb being locked out by another process, * the possibility of a database being flagged as inconsistent on the DR site - which is very probable. * A breakdown in the transport of a journal or other essential file between the hosts. scp/rcp/ftp failure. * A journal being written to by the primary host archiver as it was transferred to the DR host. Whats that (unsupported) trace point to force ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: INGRES Variables
Indeed they do. We have been working on a large VMS based project (using QUEL I might add) for the past few months, and over the last 2 weeks I have given Ingres DBA classes to 2 different customers both of which run VMS and one of which ONLY runs VMS. -- Peter Gale Managing Director Comprehensive Solutions International T: +44 (0)1398 341777 M: +44 (0)7831 513181 PGale@Comp-Soln.co.uk www.Comp-Soln.co.uk "Business Savvy. IT Smart" R -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Steve Brown Sent: 12 April 2006 08:24 To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: INGRES Variables > Note that the symbol.tbl is also present on Windows but not on VMS, > where you'll have to use logicals, Does anyone still use VMS? I thought that was a dying platform? Can you even buy it now? We got rid of our last VMS platform four years ago. _______________________________________________ Info-ingres mailing list Info-ingres@cariboulake.com http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres ...

RE: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres article
When CA announced they were moving their internal systems to SAP the obvious question was asked - are they going to run SAP over ingres? I wonder if this is one of the drivers. Paul -----Original Message----- From: info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com [mailto:info-ingres-admin@cariboulake.com] On Behalf Of Roy Hann Sent: Friday, 3 February 2006 8:17 AM To: info-ingres@cariboulake.com Subject: [Info-ingres] Re: Ingres article "Chip Nickolett" <ChipN@Comp-Soln.com> wrote in message news:1138914221.024628.51430@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > It seemed like a pretty fair and balanced presentation to me. I didn't think it was bad I just thought it managed to sound a bit less than whole-hearted. But hell, I'll take it, with thanks! More, please. Roy _______________________________________________ Info-ingres mailing list Info-ingres@cariboulake.com http://mailman.cariboulake.com/mailman/listinfo.py/info-ingres ...

Web resources about - Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #3 - comp.databases.ingres

Kyoto Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in their carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion between 1990 and 2009. For more detailed country/region information, see Kyoto Protocol ...

Jarryd Hayne's return to San Francisco 49ers line-up may hinge on NFL's strict concussion protocol
After suffering a concussion in the disastrous loss to Cleveland, the man standing in Jarryd Hayne's way could find he has no choice but to sit ...

Common payment processing protocols found to be full of flaws
Stealing PINs and pillaging bank accounts are both trivial.

NFL Considering Changes to Officiating Protocol for Playoffs - Bleacher Report
With the NFL officials under the microscope more than ever, the league is contemplating making changes to officiating protocol for the postseason... ...

Theme parks add extra safety protocols - Videos - CBS News
Major U.S. theme parks across the country, including Disney, SeaWorld and Universal Studios, are tightening security measures at entry gates. ...

IDG Contributor Network: OAuth 2.0: The protocol at the center of the universe
I am writing this article on the iPad Mini using the Editorial app. This app is connected to my Dropbox account and automatically synchronizes ...

'Routine,' 'standard,' and 'protocol' for police usually means overkill for black folks
A neighbor sees someone who may be breaking into a home. Civic-minded and filled with neighborly concern, the witness dials 911 and asks police ...

Imran promises to end VIP protocol in KP
... Imran Khan has said that his party’s government in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa will take measures to end the practice of halting traffic for VIP protocol. ...